BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS USA allocation: anyone ?

03-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #89
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
In a few more weeks / month, when more people are accustomed to the new "normal", there will be some uptick of people buying cars. True, many people have lost their jobs or on the verge. But similarly, many people do still continue with their jobs virtually and it's business as usual.

Personally, I'm still in the market for a vehicle. Unfortunately, with factories closed, I'm unable to get one. Also the fact that I want to do PCD. Or maybe go for a Porsche instead with an increase in aggressive discounts. Who knows...
I believe you are right about the discounts coming for Porsches. The M2 can be a practical daily driver. Two seater Porsches are a different level of sports car that is much more expensive and much less practical for the average person. I'll be observing the Porsche CPO market closely going forward.
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      03-24-2020, 01:18 PM   #90
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:
In a few more weeks / month, when more people are accustomed to the new "normal", there will be some uptick of people buying cars. True, many people have lost their jobs or on the verge. But similarly, many people do still continue with their jobs virtually and it's business as usual.

Personally, I'm still in the market for a vehicle. Unfortunately, with factories closed, I'm unable to get one. Also the fact that I want to do PCD. Or maybe go for a Porsche instead with an increase in aggressive discounts. Who knows...
I believe you are right about the discounts coming for Porsches. The M2 can be a practical daily driver. Two seater Porsches are a different level of sports car that is much more expensive and much less practical for the average person. I'll be observing the Porsche CPO market closely going forward.
Thank you for your comments.

And you're 100% correct about Porsches being impractical. I did take a look at a Macan and to get the same specs as the M2C, I would move to a GTS that costs around $100K. Wow!

I also had a humbling experience today. My company will be eliminating all bonuses this year so it can maintain the workforce and especially paying our hourly employees even if they cannot work. Prior to this I was all on the Porsche bandwagon. But now I'm giving the M2C a second look. It is quick unbelievable as an all-a rounder. I don't plan to track this car, but will take it on spirited drives. All this for $60K is quite good (granted I understand $60K is still a lot of money). Although I don't need a daily, I still think the fun factor and usability fits well with my particular use case.

Now I just have to wait for BMW to announce the MY21 and have the factories open back up.
      03-24-2020, 03:04 PM   #91
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I also had a humbling experience today. My company will be eliminating all bonuses this year so it can maintain the workforce and especially paying our hourly employees even if they cannot work.
Noble gesture.

Quote:
Prior to this I was all on the Porsche bandwagon. But now I'm giving the M2C a second look. It is quick unbelievable as an all-a rounder. I don't plan to track this car, but will take it on spirited drives. All this for $60K is quite good (granted I understand $60K is still a lot of money). Although I don't need a daily, I still think the fun factor and usability fits well with my particular use case.
Now I just have to wait for BMW to announce the MY21 and have the factories open back up.
Not unlikely that some who considered the M2 CS or the like, changed their mind in the meantime because of the economic impact of the COVID-19 crisis hitting home. Things ain't looking good for the car industry, which was already navigating towards/through dire straits the past couple of years.
      03-24-2020, 04:49 PM   #92
JCZ5
Major
Rep

@Artemis can you speak briefly on how auto makers were already in dire straights prior to this event? I was not aware of this and based on their units sold, it seems like auto makers were selling more and more cars. In addition to the numerous models they were releasing. Even for M, I've never seen that many model releases at such a short interval.
      03-24-2020, 05:47 PM   #93
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Apparently there were some cracks in the future projections starting last year.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...to-sales-2019/
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 07:48 PM   #94
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Thank you!
Always appreciate your substantiated responses with actual sources.
± 23% discount for a brand new 2020 M2C. Kinda makes you wonder - as 'source' - if that was just a lucky shot, or rather a reality-check sample reflecting the current state of things of the (German) car industry.

03-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #95
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Thank you!
Always appreciate your substantiated responses with actual sources.
± 23% discount for a brand new 2020 M2C. Kinda makes you wonder - as 'source' - if that was just a lucky shot, or rather a reality-check sample reflecting the current state of things of the (German) car industry.
Well I guess it's quite different in the US, speaking about the market before Covid19.

For example, the best average discount in the US is around 10%. Obviously it fluctuates a percentage point or two based on order vs. on the lot vehicles. However, this does not equate to a huge % off, in my mind. Most mainstream vehicles are 10% off in my mind and is almost expected. In fact, X5s are going for 10% off before incentives.

Obviously in Europe a 20%+ off is quite a lot higher, but also takes into account of the high VAT and other government markups.
      03-25-2020, 04:54 PM   #96
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Well I guess it's quite different in the US, speaking about the market before Covid19.
For example, the best average discount in the US is around 10%. Obviously it fluctuates a percentage point or two based on order vs. on the lot vehicles. However, this does not equate to a huge % off, in my mind. Most mainstream vehicles are 10% off in my mind and is almost expected. In fact, X5s are going for 10% off before incentives.
Obviously in Europe a 20%+ off is quite a lot higher, but also takes into account of the high VAT and other government markups.
Actually, that's the point of my message.

Personally speaking, I had not witnessed 20%+ discounts offered upfront (without negotiation) openly indicated on the official BMW website, for a brand new well-equipped M2C coming straight from the factory, unregistered yet with zero mileage and no loose ends (clean: nothing whatsoever physically or legally impacting its value). Maybe I wasn't aware, or was naive, in the past ? Anyways, in my experience, that kind of discount level was more something offered to customers benefiting a special status (BMW staff, very loyal BMW customers, diplomats, army, fleet, etc.). A time when BMW M car salesmen mastered the marketing art of giving you the make-believe feeling that negotiating a ± 8% discount was rather an 'achievement' for mere mortals.

High discounts boost sales. Some kind of 'legal doping' for statistics: one cannot deny that the car was truly sold to a customer.

Other example: already since several weeks this M4 CS pictured below is offered for sale over here with a 28.85% discount (€36.5K discount). The discount is offered upfront, prior to you taking a seat to negotiate with the BMW M car salesman. No dealer demo car (mileage is 3 km = less than 2 miles). Nice car. Well-equipped. And yet still no buyer...

IMHO just another illustration of a symptom hinting that the car industry is going through some changes lately. And, in the course, a quick reminder that those who order an M2 CS, truly want the car for what it is, not minding to pay the price (MSRP) of an M2C + 218i for it.

Name:  M4_CS_Discounted.png
Views: 2636
Size:  140.1 KB
Poochie9099.00
F87EVO4004.00
      05-27-2020, 06:57 AM   #97
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F-250, M2 CS

I just wanted to see if anyone has any new info on allocations for the US. I figured people would have posted if they went out but I'll ask anyways.. I'm also wondering on status of the factory that produces the CS if anyone has any info.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #98
chrisfortier
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Pinged my dealer this morning and no new news and offered that I check back for the next round of allocations, which is around the 5th of the month.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 04:04 PM   #99
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfortier View Post
Pinged my dealer this morning and no new news and offered that I check back for the next round of allocations, which is around the 5th of the month.
Yes, I just checked Dealerspeed and there are a total of 28 M2C's that are either 'In Production' or 'On Order' in the US. 27 of those are the Futura 2000 cars. The M2CS is still not a model that is even viewable in the US system. I read somewhere on here that US production should start in September.

All of this makes sense with the tightening European emission standards that is requiring BMW to make all of the European models before this fall.

...more waiting...
      07-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #100
chrisfortier
Private First Class
Rep

Any updates? My dealer did not get anything for a September allocation.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 12:33 PM   #101
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

US builds are for Nov/Dec
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 02:25 PM   #102
RPM33
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
US builds are for Nov/Dec
But when can you place an order for Nov/Dec builds?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 03:02 PM   #103
robbys3m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
But when can you place an order for Nov/Dec builds?
I was just told october-ish
Appreciate 2
gmhl10384.50
IB M2765.50
      07-17-2020, 08:52 AM   #104
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbys3m3 View Post
I was just told october-ish
So basically another few months before an order can be placed for a CS.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 10:36 PM   #105
gmhl10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a M2 CS

So... since the USA is expected to start receiving their builds by Nov/Dec, does that mean it's a 2021 M2 CS and not a 2020 model? It only makes sense that it's 2021.
Appreciate 1
IB M2765.50
      07-21-2020, 11:56 PM   #106
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
So basically ordering will open up right as the economy is tanking - closed schools, limited travel, under used hotels and restaurants, commercial and residential real estate rents unpaid and the government printing presses finally out of paper.

Should be interesting - some people paid full boat on the M3CS at launch in 2018, after a few months many got 10 to 15% discount and at the end in early 2019 a few scored near 20% discounts. If you want the M2CS first and to your spec then maybe worth it to pay up but for those that can wait I'm guessing there will be plenty of bargains come February.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 05:54 AM   #107
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhl10 View Post
So... since the USA is expected to start receiving their builds by Nov/Dec, does that mean it's a 2021 M2 CS and not a 2020 model? It only makes sense that it's 2021.
My understanding is that all will be 2020
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #108
bogeyman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf GTD. GR Yaris CP incoming

Dave what happens if you don't get an allocation? Have you decided which bridge you'll be jumping off?

Seriously though, which other cars will you consider if that happens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
My understanding is that all will be 2020
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #109
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyman View Post
Dave what happens if you don't get an allocation? Have you decided which bridge you'll be jumping off?

Seriously though, which other cars will you consider if that happens?
I'm pretty certain it will be a model 3 performance. I want one enough that I question if I'm making a mistake with the CS.

Otherwise I may look around outside the performance car arena with an SUV. Defender or used Ceyenne turbo S but add off-road tires . I'm an odd duck and like what I like. I was seriously considering a C8. Drove past one oncoming and my first thought was "what weirdo car is that". It's very busy and much less elegant than anticipated. Im certain it would appeal more to me with body color panels. I'd wait for the z06. However, I want something that I can enjoy with the kids. 911 doesn't appeal to me, but maybe I need to drive one.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 11:41 AM   #110
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

If I don't get a CS allocation from my local dealer, then I'll save more money and eventually get a 911. May take another year or two, since I'll do at least a Carrera S (not interested in base).

No interest in Teslas. GT4 looks too rough on the street, plus it appears to be cramped and with extremely low ground clearance. No interest in tracking so a GT4 doesn't make sense. No interest in Corvettes either.

Really hoping the CS allocation vetting process happens in August/September so people know where they stand.
Appreciate 1
RPM33598.00