BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Port installed accessories, cost?

03-18-2020, 09:22 PM   #1
J P
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 19 HS m2c

Port installed accessories, cost?

Does anyone have or know of a price breakdown on these dealer installed accessories? I am doing some negotiating on a car with a bunch of add-ons and knowing the invoice or dealer cost for them would be very helpful.

The dealer told me when they are installed at the port there is a price break as well, but I'm not sure what that means. Like the dealer's cost is lower? I have a feeling some of these parts have pretty huge margins built in. I would buy one particular car immediately except it has almost 8k in parts added to it, which are mainly cosmetic

Thanks guys.

PS: the particular parts are, CF rear lip, M perf exhaust, CF exhaust tips for exhaust, and style 641M winter wheel/tire pkg.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

My car was like that when I bought it. Can't address the actual costs, but I figure they're priced like most OE options, with a nice margin built-in.

If you want a nice used one, my M2 is for sale (2018 5800 miles, manual).
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 02:30 PM   #3
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J P View Post
Does anyone have or know of a price breakdown on these dealer installed accessories? I am doing some negotiating on a car with a bunch of add-ons and knowing the invoice or dealer cost for them would be very helpful.

The dealer told me when they are installed at the port there is a price break as well, but I'm not sure what that means. Like the dealer's cost is lower? I have a feeling some of these parts have pretty huge margins built in. I would buy one particular car immediately except it has almost 8k in parts added to it, which are mainly cosmetic

Thanks guys.

PS: the particular parts are, CF rear lip, M perf exhaust, CF exhaust tips for exhaust, and style 641M winter wheel/tire pkg.
Hard to say man, you are talking about the items that are installed by BMW and listed on the actual sticker and are above the line before MSRP is calculated. I treat those as part of the cost of the car (mine had metal pedals, wheel locks added).

Dealer installed options, where they put another sticker on the side and add the cost to MSRP, are pure margin and I'd just rip that crap up.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #4
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

You pay a flat set book labor rate of $90 per hour, for accessories installed at port, as oppose to the dealer rate, which the last time I checked is roughly $175 and of which set book times can vary from dealer to dealer, depending on much gorging their choose commit.

For parts installed at the port, the labor cost is not itemized in the overall sticker price but is factored in.

M Performance Parts installation costs https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1006333
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 11:43 PM   #5
J P
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys, we are all thinking the same thing....gotta be some big margins, but since they came port installed and are on the actual sticker it is hard to negotiate. Dealers keep saying the cars have a 5.5-6% margin but we know these parts are probably closer to 30-40%. At least that is my guess since places are selling them alone for discounts in the 18-22% range.

I just figured it wouldn't be that big of a secret. Anyone who works in BMW parts sees those numbers every day, right? Or does BMW keep a tight lid on that info?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 11:59 AM   #6
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J P View Post
Thanks guys, we are all thinking the same thing....gotta be some big margins, but since they came port installed and are on the actual sticker it is hard to negotiate. Dealers keep saying the cars have a 5.5-6% margin but we know these parts are probably closer to 30-40%. At least that is my guess since places are selling them alone for discounts in the 18-22% range.

I just figured it wouldn't be that big of a secret. Anyone who works in BMW parts sees those numbers every day, right? Or does BMW keep a tight lid on that info?
Very hard to say about this particular scenario. But if what you say about these BMW installed (not dealer installed) acc, how they have a lot more margin for dealers, is true, then the math is simple

Lets say MSRP = $X + $Y where Y is the cost of the port installed acc. Then take 5% off X and 40% off Y, sum the two up and make an offer. My numbers are made up so you can assume your own discounts
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 11:32 PM   #7
J P
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Very hard to say about this particular scenario. But if what you say about these BMW installed (not dealer installed) acc, how they have a lot more margin for dealers, is true, then the math is simple

Lets say MSRP = $X + $Y where Y is the cost of the port installed acc. Then take 5% off X and 40% off Y, sum the two up and make an offer. My numbers are made up so you can assume your own discounts
Yep, I guess that is what ill have to do. Was hoping for some exact numbers but I guess it is only a few hundred dollars. Now I just need to decide on the car, new m2, used m2, or 1m.
Appreciate 0