BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs M4, which rides better/quieter, is more fun? ?

01-29-2020, 08:37 PM   #23
garrito_burrito_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

M2 on 18 inch wheels is to this day one of the best cars I've ever driven, and by far the most well rounded, and I'm still so thrilled to drive it every day. the 18s fix the ride. If you love sports cars, and have people or stuff to lug around (or don't).. there honestly isn't much else out there that can match it, for the price. Much prefer it to the M4, and the Supra for that matter. Only thing I can think of is the new Cayman GTS 4.0 coming but even that is going to be tens of thousands of dollars more and still wouldnt offer 4 seats. M2 really does tick most boxes. lastly... M2>M2C.
Appreciate 3
      01-29-2020, 08:40 PM   #24
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
Did you trade in an Imola Red m3?

The only thing that bothers me about the M2c is the lack of color and interior leather options. Oh the small gas tank as well.
A nice interior is a little overrated if the car itself meets expectations. Unless you spend enough time in traffic that you have plenty of time to admire your interior. Sometimes my car with the less nice interior is preferable because I'm not worried about stuff rubbing up against all the leather that is everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:27 PM   #25
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
Just traded my M3 Comp for M2C. I test drove M2C and it was a no brainer for me. I track my cars and the M2 is way more fun to drive and just as quick. Don't miss all the tech in the M3 one bit. I do miss the ride a bit, the M3 comp was super stiff with 20's all around but once I switched to the CS wheels 19f/20r and upgraded to PS4s it totally made the ride more compliant and comfortable.

The only thing that bothers me about the M2c is the lack of color and interior leather options. Oh the small gas tank as well.
Yes, traded the Imola Red M3. It was my second one, loved the color but not the platform.
      01-30-2020, 08:44 AM   #26
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Quote:

A nice interior is a little overrated if the car itself meets expectations. Unless you spend enough time in traffic that you have plenty of time to admire your interior. Sometimes my car with the less nice interior is preferable because I'm not worried about stuff rubbing up against all the leather that is everywhere.
I see it differently. Most of the time you spend with the car is on the inside and little bit of choices in leather and quality would go a long way. Especially in winter, having a lighter interior helps considerably or sporty leather options like red helps liven things up.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
Moflow2484.50
      01-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #27
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Sports car vs grand tourer
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      01-30-2020, 11:59 AM   #28
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

You can clearly feel all the research, engeneering and product planning that went in the M3/4 platform as you can also feel the M2 got the leftover of that, carryover parts, simpler interior, less options etc.

All this is fine and reflects on the price spectrum. Its just so happens that the M2 is on the 2 series platform wich is smaller/shorter so it ends up being nimpler and more entertaining.

Since ppl buy M car for so many different reasons you also end up with cross-shoppers between models. If the M2 would be a 2-seater it would be way different..
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 07:57 PM   #29
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
I see it differently. Most of the time you spend with the car is on the inside and little bit of choices in leather and quality would go a long way. Especially in winter, having a lighter interior helps considerably or sporty leather options like red helps liven things up.
Agreed. The interior is my only complaint with the M2. Not only is it dated looking but only having the option of drab black with carbon fiber sucks. I love sprucing up the cabin with a brown/wood or red/aluminum combo.

Unfortunately the BMWs with more interior options aren't nearly as fun to drive...Boy do I wish the E9X M3 was still around.
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2020, 11:19 PM   #30
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

Quote:

This is VERY true. How I wish they offered the M2 in Imola Red, the crazy metallic yellow the M4 comes in, that beautiful Yas Marina Blue, the also beautiful deep blue the M4C's come in.

The M2 seriously lacks cool color options inside and out for such an expensive toy.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      02-06-2020, 05:22 AM   #31
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Agreed. The interior is my only complaint with the M2. Not only is it dated looking but only having the option of drab black with carbon fiber sucks. I love sprucing up the cabin with a brown/wood or red/aluminum combo.

Unfortunately the BMWs with more interior options aren't nearly as fun to drive...Boy do I wish the E9X M3 was still around.
Hmm. I just compared it to the 992. M2 is way better ergonomically, everything clearer to read and easier to access, the seats are far higher quality, and it is better set up for the driver. And that's a car 3x the price. So I think they've done a great job. Struggling to understand what more anyone would need (aside from my age old gripe about some nice digital instrumentation in iDrive to replace the silly power meter thing).
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2020, 10:52 PM   #32
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Hmm. I just compared it to the 992. M2 is way better ergonomically, everything clearer to read and easier to access, the seats are far higher quality, and it is better set up for the driver. And that's a car 3x the price. So I think they've done a great job. Struggling to understand what more anyone would need (aside from my age old gripe about some nice digital instrumentation in iDrive to replace the silly power meter thing).
Having owned a 991 manual C2 as well as a Cayman PDK, I can honestly say that the M2 offers 98% of the specialness and even more aggression/excitement than those did and all with a healthier dose of practicality.
The 991 did ride better and quieter, making it more livable but its back seats and frunk were a joke compared with the M2's.
I love the M2, it offers tons of real sports car performance. Just wish they had gotten some of the details better, like the aforementioned color and leather options as well as a bit more highway ride refinement. The thing is a darn noisebox.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 04:25 PM   #33
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Had a F80 M3, traded on M2C. Drove plenty of M4s.
The F87 is more fun to drive and is more connected due to the wheelbase.
The F8X platform is a better long distance cruiser due to the wheelbase.
F8X has better colors, more features, and I love the F80 CP exterior.
The F87 is more of a drivers car. Love it.
PLF693762.50
      02-21-2020, 10:26 PM   #34
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Had a F80 M3, traded on M2C. Drove plenty of M4s.
The F87 is more fun to drive and is more connected due to the wheelbase.
The F8X platform is a better long distance cruiser due to the wheelbase.
F8X has better colors, more features, and I love the F80 CP exterior.
The F87 is more of a drivers car. Love it.
In other words, they're all awesome. lol.

I guess what we all want is effectively two cars in one, unless you can actually afford two great cars! And what I mean is, we want a car thats relatively comfortable and refined for those days you're dead tired after work. And then, we also want that same car to transform into a soulful, big hearted, agile, and passionate toy for those moments you just love every second of driving.

I think the M2 is very, very close to perfect. Why just close? Well in my personal opinon it could have a sexier design, be a bit lighter and offer a bit more highway refinement to be that perfect all-rounder. I'm extremely curious and excited for the next gen of M240's and M2's. Hopefully they do not get bigger and keep their big fenders! I love the short wheelbase and wide track.
Appreciate 2
FreeDarko217.00
jefe2000716.00
      02-22-2020, 09:13 PM   #35
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
In May 2016 I was part of a group Euro Delivery with 10 M2s, 2 M3s, and 2 M4s, including my M4 with DCT. As part of this trip we had a track day at Nurburgring Nordschleife, Circuit Park Zandvoort, and Spa Francorchamps. The cars were fresh from Euro Delivery and completely stock, but all cars had put in the required 1200 miles before they were all serviced in Stuttgart prior to arriving at Nurburgring.

At Spa I had the opportunity to run closely with one of the M2s with a 6MT. I could easily catch her and pass on the straights. If she was in front, she would pull away in the corners, if I was in front, she would be on my ass all through the corners, but again, I would pull away on the straights. We did this, back and forth, sometimes leading and sometimes following for several laps.

That was before the M4 Competition Package and now of course, the M2 Competition Package. So it kind of depends exactly which M4 model and which M2 model you're comparing. And it also depends on the driver's skill.

I've driven an M2 on numerous occasions. It is nimble and handles well. That said, for most driving, I like the much better interior, the exterior styling, and the tech goodies in my M4.
Since I'm a regular reader of your postings and appreciate "most" of your comments, I'm really curious about your opinion on the "M4cs" I'm currently in the negotiation phase. Thanks👍BTW, The current deals are pretty amazing hence my interest.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #36
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Since I'm a regular reader of your postings and appreciate "most" of your comments, I'm really curious about your opinion on the "M4cs" I'm currently in the negotiation phase. Thanks��BTW, The current deals are pretty amazing hence my interest.
Thanks! I know that I push some people's buttons but some people need their buttons pushed.

I have two friends in the Bay area that own them and they both track them. And they also love them! I haven't driven one myself so I have no personal experience to share.

I'm not sure I would buy one to use as a daily driver and I definitely think that it's a waste of money for most people if they don't intend to track it on a regular basis, i.e., at least 2-3 times a year. Face it, for most people, the "standard" M3/M4 is more than they need, especially if they're never going to track it.

However, many people in the M3/M4 forum buy an M3/M4 with no intention of tracking it and many of those people are in it for the "boy racer" image. Many of the same people will sink thousands into performance mods, such as downpipes, tunes, meth, lowering springs, spacers, etc. for nothing more than bragging rights at the next cars & coffee parking lot meets. Some of these people are just lease buyers, so they'll just lease a car for 36 months and then they're on to the next thing.

But two of my mottos are "I don't give a crap what anyone thinks of me or my car" and "No one is going to tell me what to do or not to do with my car", so when it comes right down to it my opinion, or anyone else's opinion isn't really that important. If you like the CS, and can afford a CS, then you should buy it. Just be honest with yourself on why you're buying it. Personally, I don't think it makes financial sense, especially if you're not going to track it, but I tend to be more practical than many.

Hope this helped!

Last edited by SD ///M4; 02-23-2020 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
doug_9992538.50
      02-23-2020, 08:52 PM   #37
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Since I'm a regular reader of your postings and appreciate "most" of your comments, I'm really curious about your opinion on the "M4cs" I'm currently in the negotiation phase. Thanks👍BTW, The current deals are pretty amazing hence my interest.
Thanks! I know that I push some people's buttons but some people need their buttons pushed.

I have two friends in the Bay area that own them and they both track them. And they also love them! I haven't driven one myself so I have no personal experience to share.

I'm not sure I would buy one to use as a daily driver and I definitely think that it's a waste of money for most people if they don't intend to track it on a regular basis, i.e., at least 2-3 times a year. Face it, for most people, the "standard" M3/M4 is more than they need, especially if they're never going to track it.

However, many people in this forum buy an M3/M4 with no intention of tracking it and many of those people are in it for the "boy racer" image. Many of the same people will sink thousands into performance mods, such as downpipes, tunes, meth, lowering springs, spacers, etc. for nothing more than bragging rights at the next cars & coffee parking lot meets. Some of these people are just lease buyers, so they'll just lease a car for 36 months and then they're on to the next thing.

But two of my mottos are "I don't give a crap what anyone thinks of me or my car" and "No one is going to tell me what to do or not to do with my car", so when it comes right down to it my opinion, or anyone else's opinion isn't really that important. If you like the CS, and can afford a CS, then you should buy it. Just be honest with yourself on why you're buying it. Personally, I don't think it makes financial sense, especially if you're not going to track it, but I tend to be more practical than many.

Hope this helped!
Thanks for touching back, appreciated. I'll give you the short...my 2017 ZCP lease is expiring on the 9th of next month so obviously been looking. Visiting my local dealership I was somewhat surprised to learn that from here on out (July) Heritage Edition will be the only M4 they'll be receiving, yes awkward roof racing stripe plus 3 unappealing colors, LSB, Velvet Blue, and Imola, which unfortunately happens to be the only one I'd consider. So there it was, SMB M4cs with a $106 price tag which was quickly reduced $16K, hence my interest. No test drives allowed👎🏻 Will I track? "Maybe" once a year. Due to weight saving some niceties have been eliminated, definitely not happy. I plan on this been a daily driver, sooo not sure. BTW MSRP on the Heritage hits at about $88K for basically cosmetics. Confusion to say the least! Thanks again for the input...Keep pushing the buttons.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 07:18 AM   #38
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrito_burrito_ View Post
M2 on 18 inch wheels is to this day one of the best cars I've ever driven, and by far the most well rounded, and I'm still so thrilled to drive it every day. the 18s fix the ride. If you love sports cars, and have people or stuff to lug around (or don't).. there honestly isn't much else out there that can match it, for the price. Much prefer it to the M4, and the Supra for that matter. Only thing I can think of is the new Cayman GTS 4.0 coming but even that is going to be tens of thousands of dollars more and still wouldnt offer 4 seats. M2 really does tick most boxes. lastly... M2>M2C.
I know I'm responding to a comment from a couple of months ago, and..

On 18 wheels with snow tires, my M2 felt LESS complaint and rode worse than the stock 19s. I was always amazed by this.

Same with my M3 with the same wheels and tires.

So maybe it is/was the snows? Either way, trying 18" wheels on the M2 OG would be a good thing for someone to try if they didn't like the ride.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 07:47 AM   #39
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrito_burrito_ View Post
I know I'm responding to a comment from a couple of months ago, and..

On 18 wheels with snow tires, my M2 felt LESS complaint and rode worse than the stock 19s. I was always amazed by this.

Same with my M3 with the same wheels and tires.

So maybe it is/was the snows? Either way, trying 18" wheels on the M2 OG would be a good thing for someone to try if they didn't like the ride.
I felt the same thing on my Q5, suspension seemed to be less compliant on OEM 18inch/snow tires than on summer RS5 20inch wheels.

I always wondered at what point does the springs and dampers are tuned to the weight of the OEM wheels and tires..
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
doug_9992538.50
      03-26-2020, 11:17 PM   #40
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

I've had both. F82 with 'passive' suspension 6MT previously, and my current M2C. The M4 was definitely quieter, and rode better. I feel like my M2C is louder, feels more raw.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      12-02-2020, 07:59 PM   #41
kiosko
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C

Owned 17 M4C DCT, now 21 M2C 6sp one week old

Very late to this topic, but I have had both and thought I would chime in. Might help a new reader of the thread like me. I had a CPO 17 M4C DCT Yas blue for 7 months before my wife took it for a swim 3 weeks ago. Total loss. I’m still in mourning! I did have a chance to track it twice in Sebring and Moroso. With the JB4, the car was a beast! Real fast and kept up with more expensive cars, very impressive. I have not tracked the M2C...yet, but I can give you some early impressions of the differences I have noticed so far and admittedly very early on the M2.

The ride in the M2C is somewhere between comfort and sport mode on the M4C and the main reason I picked the M2 from getting another M4. I thought it would have been much worse, closer to sport plus setting on the M4. Not trying to counter others opinions on this as it seemed most others think it was harsher, maybe M2 to M2C difference? It is a bit bouncier, but not much harsher, if that makes sense. I attribute that to the longer wheelbase on the M4 making it feel more like a GT than a sports car. It is noisier in the cabin while cruising, except in the rain, where the CF roof of the M4 made it very loud. The comp seats on the M4 sucked for comfort, the M2 feels more comfortable and has lumbar support adjustment. I did prefer the seating position in the M4, much lower in the car than the M2, which still feels a bit like driving in an SUV. Not quite that bad, but still getting use to it.

I can’t wait to track the car and will update this once I do. For now, the M2C feels nimbler on turn in and lighter, even though it is not lighter. I already think it will pull more G’s in the track than the M4, but might be my eagerness to take it to its natural home! I’m pretty sure already that it will be a much more fun track car than the M4. All of this is just my impressions of course and everyone considering both should test drive them back to back. Hope it does help someone though.

At 50, I’m acting like a little kid with a new toy and started already tweaking a 185 mile car! V2 steering wheel and MP shifter going on this weekend as well as ceramic on paint and leather. JB4 after the 1200 break in. Lastly, I have to do something about that muffler! Any other must do’s?
Appreciate 1
bmwdrive461.00
      12-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #42
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiosko View Post
I can’t wait to track the car and will update this once I do. For now, the M2C feels nimbler on turn in and lighter, even though it is not lighter. I already think it will pull more G’s in the track than the M4, but might be my eagerness to take it to its natural home! I’m pretty sure already that it will be a much more fun track car than the M4. All of this is just my impressions of course and everyone considering both should test drive them back to back. Hope it does help someone though.

At 50, I’m acting like a little kid with a new toy and started already tweaking a 185 mile car! V2 steering wheel and MP shifter going on this weekend as well as ceramic on paint and leather. JB4 after the 1200 break in. Lastly, I have to do something about that muffler! Any other must do’s?
Camber plates to allow more front camber are a good idea if you plan to track the car more than once. That will be my first mod before next years events. The M2C does well on track but I did abuse the outside edges of the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 01:03 PM   #43
kiosko
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Camber plates to allow more front camber are a good idea if you plan to track the car more than once. That will be my first mod before next years events. The M2C does well on track but I did abuse the outside edges of the fronts.
Thanks Richard for the advice. Definitely considering suspension work on the car. Just want to take it out stock to see what I think I should do to it. You are definitely not the first to say it needs negative camber on the front. Have you tried a square setup or one size narrower in the front instead of two? Curious how that works for the ones that have done it.
      12-07-2020, 01:51 PM   #44
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiosko View Post
Thanks Richard for the advice. Definitely considering suspension work on the car. Just want to take it out stock to see what I think I should do to it. You are definitely not the first to say it needs negative camber on the front. Have you tried a square setup or one size narrower in the front instead of two? Curious how that works for the ones that have done it.
I'm still stock and haven't tried any other tire setups. For one, I was forced into replacing the rears prematurely after a sidewall cut from a street repair plate. Two, I'm mostly happy with the cornering balance. Much more front grip and the rear will become even more tail happy.

PS: Related to the thread, I just did a brief Performance Center experience thanks to my X3M purchase, getting to drive an M4 comp and M2C. It's hard to quantify the difference in 3-4 laps but I felt the M4 to be slightly quicker, slightly bigger feeling, and slightly more smooth & quiet except for the exhaust sound. The M2C was absolutely more raw feeling and more playful. In MDM mode I got the tail out on a high speed downhill right. That's the same experience as to my own M2C during a Sandlapper autocross on that course.
Appreciate 1
kiosko19.00