BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 Hit, What can be done now to protect sale later

04-25-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

M2 Hit, What can be done now to protect sale later

M2 was hit from behind today. First accident I've been in. Damage includes scuffs on diffuser, scuffs on rear bumper, and screw indentations on rear bumper. This is all the damage I can see. Assuming this will go on auto reports as it is going through insurance.

What can I do now to increase buyer confidence when it comes time for me to sell the car?

How much does this affect resale value if at all?

Car is still in my possession in its damaged state.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeSalad View Post
M2 was hit from behind today. First accident I've been in. Damage includes scuffs on diffuser, scuffs on rear bumper, and screw indentations on rear bumper. This is all the damage I can see. Assuming this will go on auto reports as it is going through insurance.

What can I do now to increase buyer confidence when it comes time for me to sell the car?

How much does this affect resale value if at all?

Car is still in my possession in its damaged state.
Take pictures of everything, keep a copy of the service report and quote for damages.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Take pictures of everything, keep a copy of the service report and quote for damages.
Okay ill make sure to take quality photos later and grab copies of all paper work, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS (NSX, M2, e92 gone)

receipts

Quote:
......AND itemized receipts showing the use of only OEM BMW parts and all work performed by BMW authorized shop.

you also should pursue a claim for diminished value with the insurer of whoever hit you.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      04-25-2019, 02:09 PM   #5
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I think it is up to the repair shop to report accidents to CarFax etc. You might want to inquire at the shop before the repair. Especially since it is just cosmetic.
I had a respray on the rear bumper corner on my last car. It never showed up on CarFax when I sold it/traded it in.

Edit: Since they'll probably have to replace the diffuser, you could just take the money on that one and upgrade to the M Performance CF diffuser. Maybe there is a small silver lining

Last edited by AlpsRider; 04-25-2019 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
I can def vouch for this.

I had same situation with my LSB 335ix. Took very high quality pics (i.e. DSLR, not phone) from multiple angles. Also kept copies of all receipts for repair from BMW CERTIFIED repair shop. and copies of the accident report and insurance claim paperwork. Pro Tip: redact your personal info from all the paperwork and then you can provide to next owner in a tidy little file folder (for warranty on repairs if needed).

You can also try to get the person responsible to pay for the repairs out of pocket and then the collision won't show up on carfax (I actually think it's insurance companies that report this). Then it is up to you whether you disclose the info on sale - which I would do, but not everyone would. I would still do all of the above (pics/receipts) as a 'just in case'.

When I sold my 335, the buyer was actually so impressed with the thoroughness of my collision report file and recanting of the incident he said it gave him the confidence that there was no "funny business" going on with the car and confirmed his decision to purchase. FWIW, I sold the car for higher than the lease residual by almost 14%. I guess OCD can pay off occasionally!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 02:42 PM   #7
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post

I had same situation with my LSB 335ix. Took very high quality pics (i.e. DSLR, not phone) from multiple angles. Also kept copies of all receipts for repair from BMW CERTIFIED repair shop. and copies of the accident report and insurance claim paperwork. Pro Tip: redact your personal info from all the paperwork and then you can provide to next owner in a tidy little file folder (for warranty on repairs if needed).

You can also try to get the person responsible to pay for the repairs out of pocket and then the collision won't show up on carfax (I actually think it's insurance companies that report this). Then it is up to you whether you disclose the info on sale - which I would do, but not everyone would. I would still do all of the above (pics/receipts) as a 'just in case'.

When I sold my 335, the buyer was actually so impressed with the thoroughness of my collision report file and recanting of the incident he said it gave him the confidence that there was no "funny business" going on with the car and confirmed his decision to purchase. FWIW, I sold the car for higher than the lease residual by almost 14%. I guess OCD can pay off occasionally!
I just read that CarFax can get info from insurance companies but some will deny them the info. It is probably hit or miss. I once flew 1000 miles to look at a nearly new S4 with a clean CarFax. When I arrived to inspect the car I could see that whole rear quarter panel and the rear end had been resprayed with overspray. I don't know how it slipped through the cracks.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #8
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Quote:

As a car guy that buys used cars guys like you are my nightmare. Paying cash to hide the damage as suggested in this post is dishonest and wrong. Are you going to lie to the next person that buys your car and say no accidents no repaint? Or going to try something slimy like: Carfax is clean when someone asks you? As a car loving community someone has to say doing this is wrong. Period. Others have suggested pictures and quote that shows work was mostly cosmetic. That is the correct way to move forward. When someone is interested in your car just say bumper was repaired and I have pictures of damage and repair bill.

Sorry for your damage and best wishes going forward.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #9
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Document it, start researching the market for cars with and w/o damage. File a diminished value claim with the at fault parties insurance to get some extra compensation for when you sell the damaged car down the road. I got about 6k when some lady plowed into my Lotus Elise in her company car years ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:42 PM   #10
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Can you post pics of the damage?
      04-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #11
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Sry to hear that bro

This thread is good info / advice
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #12
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
As a car guy that buys used cars guys like you are my nightmare. Paying cash to hide the damage as suggested in this post is dishonest and wrong. Are you going to lie to the next person that buys your car and say no accidents no repaint? Or going to try something slimy like: Carfax is clean when someone asks you? As a car loving community someone has to say doing this is wrong. Period. Others have suggested pictures and quote that shows work was mostly cosmetic. That is the correct way to move forward. When someone is interested in your car just say bumper was repaired and I have pictures of damage and repair bill.

I think if you trade the car in to the stealer then you can still sleep at night.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 05:11 PM   #13
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think he was advocating not disclosing damage to a potential buyer. Quite the contrary.

Also, it's not just about trying to do something shady, sometimes it's worth it versus the insurance premium hit plus deductable.

Living somewhere with super high insurance rates as it is, this happens a lot here.
Appreciate 1
F87_LCI1787.00
      04-25-2019, 05:19 PM   #14
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS (NSX, M2, e92 gone)

huh?

Quote:

Did you read the his post? He did nothing dishonest. Quite the contrary.
Appreciate 1
F87_LCI1787.00
      04-25-2019, 09:27 PM   #15
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF View Post
Quote:

Did you read the his post? He did nothing dishonest. Quite the contrary.
Wow. Some people actually READ before shooting their mouths off. Thank you for taking the time to first, read the post I wrote, and second, taking the time to vouch for others. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 09:42 PM   #16
Jmm_22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Document the damage, you will probably have to give your insurance a statement, you don't have to give a statement for the carrier of the person that hit you.

Insist on all BMW parts, as your insurance isn't paying at the end. You are typically entitled to loss value due to the accident, probably $5-10k depending on damage. You can go through insurance for the diminished value, but you can also bring a civil action, typically small claims, due to the low value. I'd only recommend that if insurance jerks you around. Their insurance should pick up coverage and settle with you. It's more expensive to litigate than to just throw you $5k.
Appreciate 0