BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Bought a previously owned 2017

04-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
Lake Effect
Rep
Drives: 1996 M3

Bought a previously owned 2017

First post, did some searching, still have a question or two :-)

I'm picking up a 2017 M2 with 30K miles on it tomorrow, it is in beautiful shape, the previous owner is an enthusiast picking up an M2C to replace this one.

What should I be looking out for in the near and not so near future as far as common problems? Do we know when the turbo likes to fail, for example?

My 96 M3 (also bought used in similar situation) was wonderful, but like all things, it occasionally required some special attention.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      04-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Nothing special to look out for. Remember you are still under factory warranty.

You should ask the dealer to CPO your M2. It will add an additional year to the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #3
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
I'd say the blown amp is a pretty common issue. Watch out when washing the car, don't stick a power washer in the drivers side rear wheel well since there's a vent in there. Also if you tint the rear window water can also get into the area and damage the amp that way as well. And if you get super loud scraping noises from the rear of the car ever it's probably just a pebble stuck in one of the rear brake dust shields. There's an updated part you may or may not have on your 2017. I'd check to see that your car has it. Could also be a problem with the diff but that would be covered under warranty. That's really the extent of problems to be aware of or expect. These cars seem to be extremely reliable (as far as bmw's go).
Appreciate 5
DanG10616.00
KO768.00
Ian ///M491.00
      04-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
I'd say the blown amp is a pretty common issue. Watch out when washing the car, don't stick a power washer in the drivers side rear wheel well since there's a vent in there. Also if you tint the rear window water can also get into the area and damage the amp that way as well. And if you get super loud scraping noise from the rear of the car ever it's probably just a pebble stuck in one of the rear brake dust shields. There's an updated part you may or may not have on your 2017. I'd check to see that your car has it. Could also be a problem with the diff but that would be covered under warranty. That's really the extent of problems to be aware of or expect. These cars seem to be extremely reliable (as far as bmw's go).
I JUST got that scraping sound in the rear and is getting checked as we speak. Its a horrible high pitched metallic sound! I hope its just something caught in the dust shield!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Quik View Post

I JUST got that scraping sound in the rear and is getting checked as we speak. Its a horrible high pitched metallic sound! I hope its just something caught in the dust shield!
Easy way to tell - you can literally just reach behind the wheel and push/pull the dust shields out a little using some force and if it's a pebble you'll hear it fall and hit the ground.
      04-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #6
Lake Effect
Rep

Thanks, I appreciate the responses and advice.

Dumb question of the day (tm)
CPO means what?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 02:42 PM   #7
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Effect View Post
CPO means what?
Certified Pre-Owned
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
Dust shields:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=18
Maintenance:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...59&postcount=6
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2019, 03:38 PM   #9
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Congrats and just drive it like you stole it. I got my 2017 a few months back. So far all good. Service here in Germany is expensive (300 euro for an oil change) but the car has been solid. I have 2 track days at European F1 circuits in the next week and a half so I will know what this car is made of soon.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #10
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
And if you get super loud scraping noises from the rear of the car ever it's probably just a pebble stuck in one of the rear brake dust shields. There's an updated part you may or may not have on your 2017. I'd check to see that your car has it. Could also be a problem with the diff but that would be covered under warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Quik View Post
Quote:
Easy way to tell - you can literally just reach behind the wheel and push/pull the dust shields out a little using some force and if it's a pebble you'll hear it fall and hit the ground.
Dedicated thread about the 'soda can crunch noise' issue/phenomenon: here.
      04-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #11
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Welcome and congrats on your first posted here. CPO = Certified Pre-Owned. BTW, there is nothing special to look for at this low mileage. Just check for the usual stuff like brake pads and tire tread depth. My 17' M2 with 27k miles has been bullet proof.
      04-07-2019, 08:21 AM   #12
Lake Effect
Rep

Previous owner brought the car to me from North Carolina yesterday, great guy, we'll stay in touch.
I freaking love this car. Yes, I bought it sight unseen, in fact I'd never even been in an M2 prior, and may not have even seen one (Atlanta is a Porsche/Mercedes heavy town) in person. However, after owning a modified E36 M3, I knew in my heart that I wouldn't be making a mistake.

There are some things that make me chuckle about the car though. As with the old M3, I truly have no idea how to properly work the HVAC. I look like a rhesus monkey poking at the buttons and turning the knobs and dials trying to get cool air to come out of the dash vents. I'm not sure if I even want to know what that thumbwheel below the passenger door unlock button on the dash actually does.

I also chuckle at the difference between my opinion, and that of most reviewers of the car. The suspension, to me, is not too harsh, even on broken pavement, but I think that says more about the the understanding of the intended purpose of the car than it does about the car itself. The same for the steering feel. True, I haven't had the car on the track yet, but at reasonable street speeds, higher and lower, the input effort feels right to me, and the feedback from the road also feels right. It's not the same feedback level you get from an original Mini, or 2002, but that level of feedback would also be 'too much' for the kind of people who say the suspension is harsh.

I admit my shallowness and my desire to please others up front, feel free to judge me
I first brought the car to my 20 yr old son for his opinion. He grew up at the racetrack and autocross, helping me and me helping him (he started w2w karting at 4 years old). He didn't know I was buying the car, his first response was "Seriously?", and after getting in the passenger seat "This car is dope, Dad, does Mom know you bought it?" He agreed with me, that the only reason all BMW's should not be blue is so that the blue owners can feel good about making great decisions in life. After he drove the car, he commented positively on the rev matching downshifts (manual), and pointed out the local autocross is next week and the SCCA is offering a few track sessions during the Gridlife event coming up at Road Atlanta. We made tentative plans...

I was able to sneak the car into the driveway, but it didn't take long for my wife to find it. Her first reaction was also "Seriously?" but with a completely different tone than my son. Yes, I have a habit of of just showing up with things that have wheels, and I've been on restriction for the past ten or so years. Usually the boy and I would hide new karts, motorcycles, karts, or bicycles in the trailer, but she learned to start checking there regularly.

This was going to be the hardest sell, she knew I was looking at cars, but I'd played my cards well. Last few weeks, I had friends stop by with a Camaro SS, Mustang GT, and an AMG C63s for us to go to dinner with. Of course, she hated the Camaro and Mustang, but the AMG was risk.

She declared, rightly so, the M2 is a better car than the AMG. Her reasoning matched mine in a strange way. The C-class felt tighter inside than the M2, the lower console and space between the door panels and the seats make the M2 feel roomier. She didn't comment on the lack of 4 doors, or the pain I will feel loading my 4 year old grandson into the backseat, but I suspect that will be a private victory for her. She also felt the M2 is better than the E36, the updated interior (except for the HVAC) is better without going full-retard with piano black, wood, and other luxury intended items.
She liked that some things weren't really updated as well. The dash cover is not overdone, the seats feel like the older M3 seats, but better. The buttons and knobs, although different and better in most cases, still feel like BMW M components. The center console updates all make sense, and are a lot better than in the older car, and she correctly pointed out that considering the difficulty that I had adjusting to a smartphone, that I will probably never use anything other than possibly the stereo, in the infotainment screen.

Overall, probably nothing you haven't heard a hundred times....

There is another popular thread about people noticing your M2. One of the reasons I was attracted to the M2 is because it is not a popular car where I live. We are definately heavy on porsche and mercedes, the BMW's are also popular, but not the M cars. Before the PO handed me the keys, we were approached by people who just wanted to complement the car. I admit, that felt good.
Appreciate 4
akkando5863.00
McGary911469.00
      04-08-2019, 05:55 AM   #13
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Congrats. What a car at the price seriously
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 11:11 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 04:04 AM   #15
SpacecoastM
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC X5Msp X5M M340I M5/3/2

Quote:
.....Also if you tint the rear window water can also get into the area and damage the amp that way as well. ...

Can you please elaborate or explain why window tinting the interior would cause a water leak?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 06:47 AM   #16
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacecoastM2 View Post
Quote:
.....Also if you tint the rear window water can also get into the area and damage the amp that way as well. ...

Can you please elaborate or explain why window tinting the interior would cause a water leak?
It's not that it leaks. It's that the water they use to apply the film will run down the glass, and could potentially cause issues.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910917.50
      04-17-2019, 11:38 PM   #17
Schnll M
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

new to the f87 family too

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I too am new to the f87 family, got mine on Thursday last week, 2017, manual, with 16800 miles! I was thinking of going f80 m3 route, but just couldn't deny all the great drivers stories from experienced drivers about this car. I am glad you guys reminded me of the rock issue in the brake dust shield, I had read that somewhere before and forgot, but was unaware about the vent and amp issue, and I washed my car tonight, so lets hope I didn't blast the pressure washer into the vent and fry my amp as well. But a couple questions; Does the stereo stay on in the car until you lock the doors or do I have some setting set wrong. It bewilders me when I park and get out and shut the door and the stereo still plays until I lock it? Also, I have M buttons on my steering wheel that don't seem to do sh*t. Is that normal? I have tried thread searches before someone tells me to do so, but haven't found correct info, are they just for show in this car?. And lastly, does the car not remember what driving mode you were in, my seat stays but when I start it up its always in comfort and I have to bump it back to sport. Sorry for the but I feel the thread owner and I will both gain lots of knowledge about the same questions Thank you in advance, long long time bmwcca member and enthusiast and embarrassed I don't have much info on this car. I have owned 2 e30 m3's, 2 e46 m3's, e60 m5, countless e30's, and a bunch of other stuff, all european but 1.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2019, 07:02 AM   #18
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurogeek91 View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I too am new to the f87 family, got mine on Thursday last week, 2017, manual, with 16800 miles! I was thinking of going f80 m3 route, but just couldn't deny all the great drivers stories from experienced drivers about this car. I am glad you guys reminded me of the rock issue in the brake dust shield, I had read that somewhere before and forgot, but was unaware about the vent and amp issue, and I washed my car tonight, so lets hope I didn't blast the pressure washer into the vent and fry my amp as well. But a couple questions; Does the stereo stay on in the car until you lock the doors or do I have some setting set wrong. It bewilders me when I park and get out and shut the door and the stereo still plays until I lock it? Also, I have M buttons on my steering wheel that don't seem to do sh*t. Is that normal? I have tried thread searches before someone tells me to do so, but haven't found correct info, are they just for show in this car?. And lastly, does the car not remember what driving mode you were in, my seat stays but when I start it up its always in comfort and I have to bump it back to sport. Sorry for the but I feel the thread owner and I will both gain lots of knowledge about the same questions Thank you in advance, long long time bmwcca member and enthusiast and embarrassed I don't have much info on this car. I have owned 2 e30 m3's, 2 e46 m3's, e60 m5, countless e30's, and a bunch of other stuff, all european but 1.
So yes, the radio will not turn off until you lock the car. It's annoying as hell, but can be coded differently with bimmercode. I have mine setup to turn off when I open my doors after the car is shut off.

M buttons are non functional on the M2. if yours are anything but black blank plates, it's likely the previous owner replaced them with aftermarket parts or from another M car. But they aren't wired up to anything.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #19
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurogeek91 View Post
Like the previous poster mentioned, search Bimmercode. All kinds of things you can program in or out. There are so many quirks this car has. I assume if you've been drivi g BMW's for years, it's normal, but for me, there just seemed to be some odd things the car did or didn't do.

With Bimmercode, I programed my car to shut off after I hit the start/stop, programmed the seat to move back, mirrors to fold in, etc.

When you search for things... Use the Google search and always add BMW M2 after it. This forum should pop up with related links if it's a common issue or question.

Have fun with your new car!
      04-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #20
Schnll M
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Thank you DetroitM2 and SConn !!!!!
Appreciate 2
detroitm22427.50
SConn180.00
      04-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #21
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Hey Lake Effect, after hitting Spa Francorchamps and Hockenheimring last weekend I can tell you this little car is made of determination and longevity. I've posted some videos here:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1576439

But the bottom line is it takes abuse well. It is quick when driven properly, and it won't fade after a few laps like some other cars. And it's a joy to drive, even against a whole lot of 911s.

I'm happy with my purchase. There are quicker cars out there, but this is a good balance.

So enjoy your M2. I'm sure as fcuk enjoying mine
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #22
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Congrats OP on your M2. Great car. I have 37,000 plus miles on mine and 22 track days and zero problems. Solid car and used they are a fantastic value.
Appreciate 0