BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > What would keep you from getting an M2?

05-14-2015, 02:26 PM   #331
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I don't want the car to drive me
I be doing the driving
I never understood whats the point of a car where i can have my grandma go as fast as me??
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 09:15 PM   #332
GFK007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

RS3 sedan if offered in manual could be a nice alternative...

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 01:09 AM   #333
AT-ST
Rep
Drives: 2014 Fiesta ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Not relevant, two completely different cars
Cool.

I would argue that it is actually very relevant. This is not a Camaro to Toyota Hilux comparison. This is Camaro to redesigned Camaro. (In fact I hadn't even begun a comparison, I simply asked if you had driven a 5th gen). Apparently to you, a 6th gen - M2 is more relevant than a 5th gen Camaro - 6th gen Camaro ? Interesting.

I would say, comparing any two vehicles an individual is cross shopping. Is relevant. At least for that individual.

Driving the 5th gen definitely offers insight into what to expect In the Gen 6 improved/updated Camaro. Yes it will be different, yes it will be better. And yes every single reviewer and Camaro owner out there is going to compare it to the 5th Gen. How else would you gauge what has "improved". It is a redesign and not a completely new product, regardless of the new components.

Would you really say having driven a 1M or 235i offers no relevance to what ones opinion of/expectations/experience in a M2 might be? They may be different cars. But there are many valid characteristics which will carry over. And pretty much everyone on this forum compares them. Your statement basically implies that almost every thread on this forum is not relevant. And I am willing to bet that in formulating your expectations of the 6th Gen Camaro, you have in fact done reading on the 5th Gen Camaro. Based on your stereotypical reply, I am going to assume that you probably did not own one and likely have not driven one.

Thumbs up for the carefully reasoned and articulate response though.

I was simply curious if you had any experience in the 5th Gen because I was interested in whether that experience or "lack thereof" was a factor in your apparent eagerness for the 6th gen's arrival.. And why you might consider it an alternative to the M2.

Great talk though ! That is why I frequent automotive fan forums.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 07:46 AM   #334
crawfordbay
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
1998 BMW M Coupe  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
There are a few things in combination that would break me from getting the M2.

1- I know most of you on here don't want a sunroof. I'm a sky lover who doesn't want to deal with the drawbacks of a vert. I want a sunroof.

2- Steering feel has to make me happy. Manual is a must.

3- Huge dealer mark ups for a limited car would keep me away.

4- If I happened to hate LBB when I see it in person. So far I like it but you never know.

5- Limited interior options like no nav would also keep me away. This is going to be my DD.

A few of these in combination and I'd be going back to looking for that E46 M3 or Z3 M Coupe I've always wanted.

05-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #335
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-ST View Post
Cool.

I would argue that it is actually very relevant. This is not a Camaro to Toyota Hilux comparison. This is Camaro to redesigned Camaro. (In fact I hadn't even begun a comparison, I simply asked if you had driven a 5th gen). Apparently to you, a 6th gen - M2 is more relevant than a 5th gen Camaro - 6th gen Camaro ? Interesting.

I would say, comparing any two vehicles an individual is cross shopping. Is relevant. At least for that individual.

Driving the 5th gen definitely offers insight into what to expect In the Gen 6 improved/updated Camaro. Yes it will be different, yes it will be better. And yes every single reviewer and Camaro owner out there is going to compare it to the 5th Gen. How else would you gauge what has "improved". It is a redesign and not a completely new product, regardless of the new components.

Would you really say having driven a 1M or 235i offers no relevance to what ones opinion of/expectations/experience in a M2 might be? They may be different cars. But there are many valid characteristics which will carry over. And pretty much everyone on this forum compares them. Your statement basically implies that almost every thread on this forum is not relevant. And I am willing to bet that in formulating your expectations of the 6th Gen Camaro, you have in fact done reading on the 5th Gen Camaro. Based on your stereotypical reply, I am going to assume that you probably did not own one and likely have not driven one.

Thumbs up for the carefully reasoned and articulate response though.

I was simply curious if you had any experience in the 5th Gen because I was interested in whether that experience or "lack thereof" was a factor in your apparent eagerness for the 6th gen's arrival.. And why you might consider it an alternative to the M2.

Great talk though ! That is why I frequent automotive fan forums.
Congrats on having the most amount of 'internet forum assumptions' I have read in one post.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2015, 05:14 PM   #336
AT-ST
Rep
Drives: 2014 Fiesta ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Congrats on having the most amount of 'internet forum assumptions' I have read in one post.
Riveting. Tell me more.
1984 Harley Davidson XLH 1000
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:32 PM   #337
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh135 View Post
Other than price, what (if anything) would keep you from purchasing an M2 once the specs are known for certain?

For me, no MT option would be a non-starter. An "uncrackable" ECU would also be a deal killer, although that is unlikely (though not unimaginable given BMW's recent efforts). No LSD (doubtful) would certainly get me thinking, as would a curb weight above 3400lbs.
Crazy residuals on z4.

Bad residuals on m2

CLK55?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 12:21 AM   #338
Michel-Tony
I Heart Bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MazdaSpeed3 (soon M235i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris View Post
Have an M235i so if it's not much better than this no change. Also have 6MT and want to go DCT next time. My bailout option is not. Too bad though, M4 would be my option.
I feel the same way. I think I'm gonna go with the M235i next year & buy the stage 2 deal from Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 02:02 AM   #339
mwalter14
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

This..

Appreciate 1
      05-16-2015, 07:55 AM   #340
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalter14 View Post
This..

As much as I love new technology, there's something to be said about the classic, timeless looks of the E46:

1. Proper hood line
2. Kidney grills separate from headlights.
3. Speaking of headlights, proper round halos, not some hexagonal nonsense
4. Great sounding inline 6
5. Hydraulic steering rack

Sigh. I'll get an M2 or 3 or 4 but it doesn't mean I'm happy with certain aspects of the new offerings....
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2015, 08:35 AM   #341
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Well... Today I finally caved, and pulled the trigger on an M3 saloon! Due to arrive in July

I've not been too happy with recent reveals and rumours on the M2 and the colour choice is quite frankly crap IMO! So I won't have to anxiously wait anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #342
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post

As much as I love new technology, there's something to be said about the classic, timeless looks of the E46:
1. Proper hood line
Sigh. I'll get an M2 or 3 or 4 but it doesn't mean I'm happy with certain aspects of the new offerings....
Don't forget the oil dipstick.
      05-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #343
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post

1. Proper hood line
Ahhhh....how could I??
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #344
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Yes! Dipstick and real sound, no comfort mode, nav screen low not in line of sight, central window controls, tool kit, awesome no none sense instruments cluster, offered with or without nav screen, beautiful dash, timeless lines
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #345
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalter14 View Post
This..

1. Proper hood line

I am still in love with my E46 M3......😪
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0