BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > New M2 CS Comparison

07-19-2023, 04:01 PM   #1
6CylindersEveryDay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CS, VW Golf R

New M2 CS Comparison

I have only watched the M2 CS section since I'm at work, but regardless of how the comparison turns out he obviously loved his time in the CS:

Appreciate 2
omak81148.00
qnet683.00
      07-19-2023, 05:03 PM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Makes me want to drive the new M2. I don't think there is much body roll on the CS. I didn't realize there was a 300lb difference in weight between the two. CS is a riot though. I love it.
      07-20-2023, 06:40 AM   #3
NYNick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 74 tii 78 SC 20 M2CS

It's BMW's job to make the new cars better and faster. It's no surprise the new M2 is equal to the M2CS in performance, or close to it. If they issue a new M2CS, it'll be better still, at least objectively performance wise.

But I like my supermodels thin. 300 lbs is a lot of extra fat even if they do overcome the added weight with suspension tweaks and more power.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 08:28 AM   #4
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
I don't think we need anyone else to tell us about the cs at this point of time , since we re now owners for almost 3 yrs ! It proved itself , and the fact that the M2 CS F87 is a multi award winner says a lot , especially with the EVO car of the year 2020 win. As for this review , BMWBLOG used the 1M as the car that started it all , and i agree at a point but i see the evolution such as 2002 , E30 M3 , E36 M3 , E46 M3 , E82 1M , F87 M2 , G87 M2.

I ve seen many times people from BMWBlog trying to compare the 1M with the M2 CS in youtube videos or podcasts , and in personal level usually since the founder of BMWBlog owns an 1M. I remember the episode with Jonny Lieberman when he was asked which one he prefers , the 1M or the M2 CS and Jonny gave him his honest opinion.

For me the 1M is great , id love to own one. But if i had to choose one , it would easily be the M2 CS. It drives great (i dont think anyone disagrees ! to win the evo car of the year with all those cars that year it means a lot ) , it has a real M engine that will stand the test of time , its a lot rarer ( 2200 cars instead of 6300). etc etc. The steering is a + on the 1M but in my honest opinion - the 1M was created as an experiment for BMW to see the potential audience for a small compact M car. And respect for that .

The G80 M3 is what the E39 M5 was back then (BUT with 5 people inside instead of 1) , the character completely changed from the M3 roots , but theres nothing wrong because the M2 exists , and the G80 is a great all rounder imo and one of the best especially the touring and the sedan )not the G82 - thats too long for a coupe but its for a different audience i guess.

The G87 M2 as we all expected its faster , more refined , it has that tech it weights more , but i think its a worthy succesor to the F87. It can't be the same car , it retains some of the character but its more capable and focused on speed but not as fun .

At the end , different people different tastes , it really depends from what each prefer

The reason BMW have made such a big changes in their design language is probably the smoother transition to Hybrid/Electric cars in near future - they prepare us ! Thats just my opinion.

From Jonny Lieberman/BMWBLOG for the M2 CS & 1M

M2CS: https://youtu.be/wxcP1CO96b0

About the 1M From 49:00 to 52:00 ( https://youtu.be/4mEhjzA7dHI)

Ill add this here also (which imo says a lot about the character of the F87)
https://youtu.be/SMVjVRxuqUs

Last edited by F87EVO; 07-20-2023 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2023, 08:39 AM   #5
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87EVO View Post
I don't think we need anyone else to tell us about the cs at this point of time , since we re now owners for almost 3 yrs ! It proved itself , and the fact that the M2 CS F87 is a multi award winner says a lot , especially with the EVO car of the year 2020 win. As for this review , BMWBLOG used the 1M as the car that started it all , and i agree at a point but i see the evolution such as 2002 , E30 M3 , E36 M3 , E46 M3 , E82 1M , F87 M2 , G87 M2.

I ve seen many times people from BMWBlog trying to compare the 1M with the M2 CS in youtube videos or podcasts , and in personal level usually since the founder of BMWBlog owns an 1M. I remember the episode with Jonny Lieberman when he was asked which one he prefers , the 1M or the M2 CS and Jonny gave him his honest opinion.

For me the 1M is great , id love to own one. But if i had to choose one , it would easily be the M2 CS. It drives great (i dont think anyone disagrees ! to win the evo car of the year with all those cars that year it means a lot ) , it has a real M engine that will stand the test of time , its a lot rarer ( 2200 cars instead of 6300). etc etc. The steering is a + on the 1M but in my honest opinion - the 1M was created as an experiment for BMW to see the potential audience for a small compact M car. And respect for that .

The G80 M3 is what the E39 M5 was back then , the character completely changed from the M3 roots , but theres nothing wrong because the M2 exists , and the G80 is a great all rounder imo.

The G87 M2 as we all expected its faster , more refined , it has that tech it weights more , but i think its a worthy succesor to the F87. It can't be the same car , it retains some of the character but its more capable and focused on speed but not as fun .

At the end , different people different tastes , it really depends from what each prefer.
What really gets under my skin is some of the subtle changes BMW has made like not having a carbon cover for the strut brace. That was a really nice touch on the F platform that stood out as "premium". Functionally it doesn't matter, but I think BMW should add those things on the G series. It would look great.
      07-20-2023, 08:55 AM   #6
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
What really gets under my skin is some of the subtle changes BMW has made like not having a carbon cover for the strut brace. That was a really nice touch on the F platform that stood out as "premium". Functionally it doesn't matter, but I think BMW should add those things on the G series. It would look great.
I agree , but the fact that they price the G87 at that price point and it has that much of a difference to the G80/2 is a great achievement . Thats why such “premium” touches had to be changed. Even the reason thats its made in Mexico , its probably for the cost of production/labour. Cast wheels etc underneath the car.
      07-20-2023, 09:58 AM   #7
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87EVO View Post
I agree , but the fact that they price the G87 at that price point and it has that much of a difference to the G80/2 is a great achievement . Thats why such “premium” touches had to be changed. Even the reason thats its made in Mexico , its probably for the cost of production/labour. Cast wheels etc underneath the car.
Especially since I specced a comfort model for under 70k
      07-20-2023, 10:26 PM   #8
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
That was a terrible video. It went on for ages and said nothing that wasn’t carefully scripted by the folk that lent him the cars. I then watched the drag race one they did to inflict yet more punishment on myself. I can only assume it was the first time the guy in the CS had driven a manual. The car was like a kangaroo.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4046.50
      07-21-2023, 08:52 AM   #9
omak81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS Black/Black Manual

Glad I bought my M2CS as I got it for the fun factor and it’s never let me down!
2020 M2CS 6Speed-Black Sapphire Metallic - Black Style 763M
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4046.50
      07-21-2023, 04:06 PM   #10
6CylindersEveryDay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CS, VW Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
That was a terrible video. It went on for ages and said nothing that wasn’t carefully scripted by the folk that lent him the cars. I then watched the drag race one they did to inflict yet more punishment on myself. I can only assume it was the first time the guy in the CS had driven a manual. The car was like a kangaroo.
Yeah once I watched the full video it was meh but I liked the grin he had on his face when he got out of the CS when I only watched that section originally. I also noticed that I liked the stock exhaust sound of the CS in the video.
Appreciate 1
Davil6570.50
      07-21-2023, 07:53 PM   #11
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CylindersEveryDay View Post
Yeah once I watched the full video it was meh but I liked the grin he had on his face when he got out of the CS when I only watched that section originally. I also noticed that I liked the stock exhaust sound of the CS in the video.
The stock CS note is actually very pleasant. The problem is that inside the car you rarely hear it. Ideally you could amplify the stock note, but it seems any change to components alters the note.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 11:51 PM   #12
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
The stock CS note is actually very pleasant. The problem is that inside the car you rarely hear it. Ideally you could amplify the stock note, but it seems any change to components alters the note.
It’s a nice sound. It requires an open window and use of the loud pedal. I may or may not have performed said practice through a tunnel the other day which induced quite a smile. The CS this my sensible car though so I do appreciate the overall quietness unless I choose loudness.
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2618.50
      07-31-2023, 02:45 AM   #13
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
I then watched the drag race one they did to inflict yet more punishment on myself. I can only assume it was the first time the guy in the CS had driven a manual. The car was like a kangaroo.
Well yes. Yes it is.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
F87EVO4046.50