BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 forum kind of dead?

10-24-2020, 02:35 AM   #45
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
Sorry I phrased that incorrectly, what I meant was "those that have moved on have moved on to..."

I agree, I think many have stayed the course. It's a great car and hard to beat for the money.

That being said, I think part of the reason I love it so much is that it's a second car for me, not a DD. If I was put in a position where I had to go from 2 cars to 1, I wouldn't keep the M2. The roads here are horrible and it's too small and loud for daily use IMO. Also I care about it too much, almost to a fault. It's not the kind of car I want to put in a tight parking space, leave on the street overnight, or take a cross country road trip in. Driving my F30 is so much more relaxing. It can get a scuff or scratch and I really don't care at all. I can also drive into potholes without lifting my ass off the seat whilst saying four hail mary's, waiting to see if the TPMS light goes off. Again, I love the M2 but it just isn't the most practical car in the world, and that makes it a luxury not a necessity for me. In spite of that, I still hope I get to keep it forever

Mine is a DD. I’m pretty careful where I park it, 3 years in, no door dings. Although it had a ton of rock chips in the front.

I find it a pretty civilized car, very easy to live with. Almost too tame.

Admittedly, my wife hates it and hasn’t ridden in it more than a couple of times.

I’d love to keep it and get something less practical.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 02:58 AM   #46
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
I have been a member for three years and noticed there is less activity for some of the threads. I often wonder where people who used to post regularly have moved on to. Some of them were very interesting. I wish they would post on what they have moved on to. I have been thinking of moving on myself. Possibly the new Vette or GT4. Who knows what tommorow brings.
Agree. Would like to know what people have moved onto after their M2!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 11:00 PM   #47
chai8323
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Garage List
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Just upgraded from a golf r which people use Reddit, this forum definitely not as good as the Reddit golf r group lol
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 11:42 PM   #48
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chai8323 View Post
Just upgraded from a golf r which people use Reddit, this forum definitely not as good as the Reddit golf r group lol
Genuine question - what are you expecting from this forum for it to be as 'good' as your experience with the golf r reddit group?

I've very much enjoyed the interactions here. People have been real helpful and there's plenty that's already been asked and answered here.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 11:52 PM   #49
chai8323
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Quote:
Genuine question - what are you expecting from this forum for it to be as 'good' as your experience with the golf r reddit group?

I've very much enjoyed the interactions here. People have been real helpful and there's plenty that's already been asked and answered here.
In many ways, if you use Reddit you know it. I'm not saying people here are not helpful or not kind but I just felt it's less interactive.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 01:19 AM   #50
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I think BMW and particularly M cars are gateway drugs to other cars.
Appreciate 1
marcw584.00
      11-14-2020, 02:06 AM   #51
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In many ways, if you use Reddit you know it. I'm not saying people here are not helpful or not kind but I just felt it's less interactive.
Can't say i do use reddit - but that's fair enough on the interactivity point. I find myself often reading or replying to threads that can date back to 2017/18. I only picked up my M2 earlier this year in July so it's all new to me.

How are you finding the move from your golf R to the M2? I've passed my old Mk7R to my wife. I do sometimes miss the all weather point and shoot ease of driving of the golf r and the excellent compromise between comfort and performance. Not sure I could do a very long drive in the M2 with the family, but the golf R wouldn't be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 07:09 AM   #52
chai8323
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can't say i do use reddit - but that's fair enough on the interactivity point. I find myself often reading or replying to threads that can date back to 2017/18. I only picked up my M2 earlier this year in July so it's all new to me.

How are you finding the move from your golf R to the M2? I've passed my old Mk7R to my wife. I do sometimes miss the all weather point and shoot ease of driving of the golf r and the excellent compromise between comfort and performance. Not sure I could do a very long drive in the M2 with the family, but the golf R wouldn't be an issue.
That's true man, I do have a full size suv for the family use, m2 is just for commuting or short trip which is totally fine to use, but in terms of practicability, golf r is better for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 12:14 PM   #53
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Forums will get poppin again once more info on the new model arises. Hopefully for good reasons unlike the M3/4, which get attention for the wrong things.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13142.00
      11-14-2020, 01:41 PM   #54
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

One thing I've noticed is that the forum could be a bit better organized. Like why is there not a compiled list of DIYs or a DIY section? Why not sticky some of the better posts in each section? Things like that seem simple but would improve the experience.

Appreciate 3
samsamdar569.50
D22M21368.00
      11-15-2020, 02:38 PM   #55
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Hard to ignore enthusiasts on this forum are constantly drawing comparison to Porsche. . . It is a very off-putting insecurity that is particularly prominent among the M2CS crowd.

I am a Porsche guy who came to BMW because I could not resist the M2C . . . 718 CGTS was the best sport car I have ever owned. M2C is the best car I have ever owned. I absolutely love it.

I am so enthralled with my M2C I have already submitted order for G80 M3C . . . with close eye on the future with the G87 M2C.

Porsche sport cars are awesome, but the BMW sporty coupes/sedans are very special in their own right.

The M2C is an absolutely marvelous beast. Enjoy every minute of what it has to offer . . . even if most everything there is to say in a forum has already been said.

///AVM
Attached Images

Last edited by ///AVM; 11-15-2020 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2020, 04:25 PM   #56
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Hard to ignore enthusiasts on this forum are constantly drawing comparison to Porsche. . . It is a very off-putting insecurity that is particularly prominent among the M2CS crowd.

I am a Porsche guy who came to BMW because I could not resist the M2C . . . 718 CGTS was the best sport car I have ever owned. M2C is the best car I have ever owned. I absolutely love it.

I am so enthralled with my M2C I have already submitted order for G80 M3C . . . with close eye on the future with the G87 M2C.

Porsche sport cars are awesome, but the BMW sporty coupes/sedans are very special in their own right.

The M2C is an absolutely marvelous beast. Enjoy every minute of what it has to offer . . . even if most everything there is to say in a forum has already been said.

///AVM
There is nothing wrong with BMW but, as I have stated in other threads, BMW has kind of diluted their main vehicles. The M cars are great but typically derived from their passenger vehicles. It’s difficult to make a direct comparison from an M2 to a 718 GT4 simply because the 718 is a purpose built sports car out of the box. Sure, you can compare performance metrics, but driving dynamics are a good bit different.

And it isn’t just BMWs getting compared to Porsche, so are Corvettes. Try going over to a C8 forum and read the Porsche related threads. Even when they are hating on Porsche, the only thing the can come up with is price and how cheap their car is in comparison. But then I haven’t seen a 911 snap a valve spring with less than 200 miles either.

I was slow to realize that the old adage “you get what you pay for” kind of applies to Porsche. They charge the prices they do because they are that good. You get a near exotic performance car with the reliability of Toyota that doesn’t get heat soak when put through its paces. I’ve never heard of a Porsche you can’t take to the track if you wanted to, but you can’t take a base C8 to the track without the Z51 package....what the heck is that?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 06:43 PM   #57
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with BMW but . . .
c1pher

Nobody does sport cars better than Porsche . . . expensive but, without doubt, you do get that for which you pay.

I will get back into the Porsche lineup at some point but, as of now, I am enjoying the hell out of my M2C . . . and looking forward to G80 M3C ownership.

At any rate, I have been blessed with opportunity to explore both the Porsche and BMW lineups, and find no value whatsoever in comparing either. Both have been great in my experiences.

///AVM
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 05:02 PM   #58
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
One thing I've noticed is that the forum could be a bit better organized. Like why is there not a compiled list of DIYs or a DIY section? Why not sticky some of the better posts in each section? Things like that seem simple but would improve the experience.
Exactly... when I was a part of the E46Fanatics forum, they had it down perfectly. I'd spend hours on that forum even in the off-topic section.... granted I had more time back then when I was younger but this forum pales in comparison.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2020, 08:46 AM   #59
Bewstd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, RAM 2500

people are more into the Instagram "hot BOI" style content feed of trickled pics from a rolling photo shoot in the city or highway vs someone forum threads that build up the car and actually uses it for curvy back roads or the track like it's designed.

Just something I've noticed across most car fronts.... fight me

some two wheeled fun and a tow rig
Appreciate 1
Fabb227.50
      11-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #60
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
I am sure there are many that visit this site for information or ideas but don't bother contributing as despite this site being for fellow enthusiasts there is a lot of unnecessarily negative comments from certain members on here which isn't exactly encouraging.
I'm not saying don't have an opinion or whatever but don't be a dick about it & if you don't have anything of value to contribute just move on.
hassr24.50
      11-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #61
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Definitely seems like many here have or want a Porsche as their next car.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 04:15 AM   #62
rjohnson1993
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2 LCI

Only if the model type starts with 'GT' and ends in 3 or 4.
      11-25-2020, 05:07 AM   #63
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Definitely seems like many here have or want a Porsche as their next car.
When I had a Mustang, I always saw similar comments to what I read here. Can you get a Mustang to achieve Porsche like performance metrics? Sure. But it’s still not a Porsche. The thing is, everyone is always using Porsche as a benchmark.

When you realize that, then you start to understand why Porsche is kind of on a pedestal. And certainly you can say that about Ferrari or Lamborghini etc. However, Porsche is still somewhat attainable. The only way you find a $30k Ferrari is if it’s a project car. You can find well sorted used 911s for less than that and of course Caymans as well. And if you truly enjoy driving, these cars will hold a special place in your garage.

I used to be in that group where I would never spend that amount for a Porsche when I can make my “insert car here” do the same thing. It wasn’t until I started getting the opportunity to test drive Porsches or drive a colleague/friend Porsche that the lightbulb start to come on for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 06:49 AM   #64
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
The thing is, everyone is always using Porsche as a benchmark.
Because Porsche is the benchmark for automotive excellence.

Porsche even flaunts that it has the highest profit per car sold of any car company in the world.
      11-25-2020, 10:06 AM   #65
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

I would like to own another Porsche again someday - have driven several and owned a 928 that I enjoyed immensely except for the repairs - but in the meantime my love affair with the M2 continues. Every time I open the garage door, I can't believe there's an M2 sitting there. And it still looks as perfect as the day we picked it up at the Welt. Easiest money I've ever spent, can't believe it only cost $55,900. Every drive is an experience.

As an aside, not to make comparisons, but has anyone here ever tried to get $2500 worth of groceries into any 911/Cayman/Boxster? M2...no problem. Don't ask. There are surely better cars out there, but the M2 is my $55K docile daily driver that turns into a monster as soon as you point it towards a canyon.
Appreciate 1
Artemis28922.00
      11-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #66
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
The thing is, everyone is always using Porsche as a benchmark.
Because Porsche is the benchmark for automotive excellence.

Porsche even flaunts that it has the highest profit per car sold of any car company in the world.
If you guys insist upon Porsche, here is a great video for car enthusiasts. . .

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 11-25-2020 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 2
Artemis28922.00
///M TOWN13142.00