BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Questions on Dinan Stage 1 vs Dinan + Performance Engine Software

09-25-2020, 03:30 PM   #1
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Questions on Dinan Stage 1 vs Dinan + Performance Engine Software

What is the difference between the Dinan+, Dinan+HE, and Stage 1 Software for the BMW M2 Comp. PS I have a 2020. It's already been bench tested to confirm my installer could upgrade it.

Is the Dinan+, just stage 1 with a warranty and hence not as agressive? Does the Dinan+HE version come with the heat exchanger, or is it extra and you need the +HE version to allow the bigger gains?

Would the best combo for track use be the Dinan+HE sw, a heat exchanger, plus the axle back exhaust?

PS: My car is a lease, is it easy to reflash the production SW at turn in?

Also, does the Dinan Coil Over system come with camber plates and adjustable for track use?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 04:45 PM   #2
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
What is the difference between the Dinan+, Dinan+HE, and Stage 1 Software for the BMW M2 Comp. PS I have a 2020. It's already been bench tested to confirm my installer could upgrade it.

Is the Dinan+, just stage 1 with a warranty and hence not as agressive? Does the Dinan+HE version come with the heat exchanger, or is it extra and you need the +HE version to allow the bigger gains?

Would the best combo for track use be the Dinan+HE sw, a heat exchanger, plus the axle back exhaust?

PS: My car is a lease, is it easy to reflash the production SW at turn in?

Also, does the Dinan Coil Over system come with camber plates and adjustable for track use?

Tune Differences/Notes:
  • Dinan+ offers the factory matching warranty for cars that are stock. Its a single map with no switchign between octanes, etc.
  • Dinan+HE offers the factory matching warranty and a more agressive tune for cars that also have the upgraded heat exchanger/cooling. Like Dinan+ its a single map with no switching between octanes. The heat exchanger is an additonal purchase.
  • Dinan Stage 1 does not match the factory warranty and is simple a performance tune that is a bit more aggressive and offers additional race gas octane maps etc.
  • If warranty is important to you Dinan+HE is hands down the way to go. If later down the road (out of warranty) you decide you wish to have more you can always switch it over to Dinan Stage 1 for no additional cost and get access to a bit more power.
  • Your dealer can revert to stock in a couple minutes if need be for lease trade in, etc. In most cases you dont even need to reflash as when you trade it back in the dealer will do a full software reset on the car anyway.

Performance:
Dinan+HE and heat exchanger are the most important power mods. The exhaust is great but for all intents and purposes its a sound only modification. The intake is similar and while it does give you a bit of power up top which can be beneficial at the track its mainly a beauty piece that also improves the throttle response. You will get much more use out of the track from a couple of the suspension mods before the latter engine modifications. Monoballs, swaybars, coil-over (HAS kit) or links will all probably give you more tactile improvement. Especially at the track.

Coil-Over:
The coil-over does not come with camber plates. In reality its a height adjustable spring set. The factory dampers are very good so adding cost for a full coil over with new electronic dampers never seemed worthwhile for the vast majority of the consumer base. For full coil overs if you wanted to go that route there are plenty of options though (KW, Bilstein, Tractive, Ohlins, etc.). The biggest difference for our kit is we use linear springs instead of a progressive one. This allows for a more predictable suspension travel and what most feel is a more compliant ride compared to other options (including stock).

If you have any other questions feel free to ask them here, DM me, or contact the sales team by phone.
Appreciate 3
      09-25-2020, 08:55 PM   #3
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
If you have any other questions feel free to ask them here, DM me, or contact the sales team by phone.
Dinan_Engineering

Can you please expand on the Dinan Limited Warranty Exclusions

In particular the part that reads "any vehicle operated in any competitive event or subjected to aggressive track conditions"

Would non-competitive track days or HPDEs be considered aggressive track conditions?

For example, if I got a Dinan+ tune and took my car to a typical track day on a road course in which I am neither competing with or timing my vehicle would the warranty remain in effect?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
MadM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020M2Competition View Post
Dinan_Engineering

In particular the part that reads "any vehicle operated in any competitive event or subjected to aggressive track conditions"

Would non-competitive track days or HPDEs be considered aggressive track conditions?

For example, if I got a Dinan+ tune and took my car to a typical track day on a road course in which I am neither competing with or timing my vehicle would the warranty remain in effect?
I think it would be rather hard to prove that the car was in a regular HPDE track day.

To add on to your question, does anybody have any dynos of the DINAN tune on an s55???
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 02:45 PM   #5
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadM2C View Post
I think it would be rather hard to prove that the car was in a regular HPDE track day.

To add on to your question, does anybody have any dynos of the DINAN tune on an s55???
I would still like some reassurance that if I take my car to the track, the warranty coverage would remain intact

In any case, I don't think I've come across any independent dynos on the Dinan tunes

You can find some dyno comparisons from Dinan here

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ighlight=dinan

And also on the Dinan website
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 10:09 PM   #6
MadM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 comp

Quote:
I would still like some reassurance that if I take my car to the track, the warranty coverage would remain intact

In any case, I don't think I've come across any independent dynos on the Dinan tunes

You can find some dyno comparisons from Dinan here

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ighlight=dinan

And also on the Dinan website
I would really like to see some
Unbiased dynos to debunk some
Of the claims that dinan tunes are way underpowered
And essentially “pointless”.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 08:23 AM   #7
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dinan_Engineering

In the scenario you presented there would be no issue with the warranty. Its more of a safety precaution on our side to preclude blatant track abuse. You would be amazed at what some folks try to pass off in warranty claims over the years. As others have pointed out however its hard to prove such actions in a lot of cases short of a monumental failure where the codes/ECU are subjected to an investigation anyway. Rule of thumb is basically if before you do something you say "this may damage my car and is not something I would normally do," I would err on the side of not doing it as your warranty would most likely not apply.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #8
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
In the scenario you presented there would be no issue with the warranty. Its more of a safety precaution on our side to preclude blatant track abuse. You would be amazed at what some folks try to pass off in warranty claims over the years. As others have pointed out however its hard to prove such actions in a lot of cases short of a monumental failure where the codes/ECU are subjected to an investigation anyway. Rule of thumb is basically if before you do something you say "this may damage my car and is not something I would normally do," I would err on the side of not doing it as your warranty would most likely not apply.
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 08:43 PM   #9
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition MT Hoc

Dinan_Engineering

Do you recommend the crank hub fix for your Stage 1 software tune? Have you had customers with issues?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #10
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
Dinan_Engineering

Do you recommend the crank hub fix for your Stage 1 software tune? Have you had customers with issues?

Thanks in advance!
You can surely do a crank hub fix if desired for peace of mind / preventative maintenance but it is not required. To my knowledge warranty/tech support have only seen two S55 hub failures over the years when Dinan tuning was present. Both of those were as a result of a money shift however.
Appreciate 0