BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > MSS Adjustable Lowering Springs Review by Evolve Automotive

09-02-2020, 09:08 AM   #133
tubstar
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
That doesn’t look right... seems way too low in the rear.
Did you remove any components (spring seats, etc.) when installing?
@nearwater4me Have double checked all components are in there as per the manual, was recommended by MSS to use the OEM rubber seat at the top to give 10mm height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
It does look quite low in the rear.

I had my MSS springs installed last week, mine looks like they were put on with no rake however, there's slightly less then one finger gap in the rear and about 1.5 finger gap at the front. Mine do feel quite soft in the rear when pushing a bit...

I'm thinking in a few weeks I'll get the fender gap evened out and that should give it a bit of rake towards the front.
@dukesilver How are you enjoying them so far? They'll definitely drop a bit more after a few KMs/Miles, I've done about 1000km on them so far

I was recommended by MSS to use the OEM rubber seat at the top to gain an additional 10mm height.

As seen on the bottom left photo I don't have much thread left at 45mm and the last time I tried to spin it up further it was very difficult to put the spring back into the car and the ride was not great.

On a positive note I'm at about 330mm from fender to the wheel hub now on both front and rear, will get an alignment on Friday and fingers crossed he'll be ready for the track in a few weeks.

Please excuse the filthy wheels...

Last edited by tubstar; 09-02-2020 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 04:18 PM   #134
Duke Silver
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubstar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
That doesn't look right... seems way too low in the rear.
Did you remove any components (spring seats, etc.) when installing?
@nearwater4me Have double checked all components are in there as per the manual, was recommended by MSS to use the OEM rubber seat at the top to give 10mm height.

Quote:
It does look quite low in the rear.

I had my MSS springs installed last week, mine looks like they were put on with no rake however, there's slightly less then one finger gap in the rear and about 1.5 finger gap at the front. Mine do feel quite soft in the rear when pushing a bit...

I'm thinking in a few weeks I'll get the fender gap evened out and that should give it a bit of rake towards the front.
@dukesilver How are you enjoying them so far? They'll definitely drop a bit more after a few KMs/Miles, I've done about 1000km on them so far

I was recommended by MSS to use the OEM rubber seat at the top to gain an additional 10mm height.

As seen on the bottom left photo I don't have much thread left at 45mm and the last time I tried to spin it up further it was very difficult to put the spring back into the car and the ride was not great.

On a positive note I'm at about 330mm from fender to the wheel hub now on both front and rear, will get an alignment on Friday and fingers crossed he'll be ready for the track in a few weeks.

Please excuse the filthy wheels...

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
I believe it's more of a compliant ride, but it feels a bit too soft in the rear. I did a quick measure this morning and mine is:

Front 357mm to the centreline of the hub to edge of guard
Rear 350mm to the centreline of the hub to edge of guard

I think I might drop the front 5-7mm to give it some rake as the car looks level from side angle. Difficult to tell in this photo, but definitely a slightly larger wheel gap in the front.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #135
CLOUT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT

Had my set installed over the weekend. They feel pretty good, still need to get an alignment. These will suffice till I go with full coilovers

Appreciate 1
OzWoz75.00
      09-15-2020, 05:40 PM   #136
OzWoz
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 6MT

Looking good!. Happy with my set to. Don't forget that Evolve, MSS and Bilstein are working on a set of matched dampers for this kit, so you can upgrade to coilovers without changing springs. Covid has slowed the development apparently, but it's still on the cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOUT View Post
Had my set installed over the weekend. They feel pretty good, still need to get an alignment. These will suffice till I go with full coilovers

Appreciate 1
CLOUT49.50
      09-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #137
Duke Silver
Private
Rep

Quote:

I'm thinking I'm going to make the move to KW coilovers before too long, the MSS springs are quite comfortable for everyday driving. Reason for wanting to change is that I notice a bit of thump on the compression stroke, I'm guessing its the bump stop that I'm hitting.. Weird thing is I'm not even that low. Plus I reckon the rear spring rate is a little too soft.

Just my take anyway, I'm sure other people may think differently.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #138
CLOUT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzWoz View Post
Looking good!. Happy with my set to. Don't forget that Evolve, MSS and Bilstein are working on a set of matched dampers for this kit, so you can upgrade to coilovers without changing springs. Covid has slowed the development apparently, but it's still on the cards
Thanks Oz, you’re right I might wait for those.

Quote:
I'm thinking I'm going to make the move to KW coilovers before too long, the MSS springs are quite comfortable for everyday driving. Reason for wanting to change is that I notice a bit of thump on the compression stroke, I'm guessing its the bump stop that I'm hitting.. Weird thing is I'm not even that low. Plus I reckon the rear spring rate is a little too soft.

Haven’t felt the thump yet but I do also feel the rear might be a bit soft. Still happy with how they look and perform for the price.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:49 PM   #139
Duke Silver
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzWoz View Post
Thanks Oz, you’re right I might wait for those.

Quote:

Haven’t felt the thump yet but I do also feel the rear might be a bit soft. Still happy with how they look and perform for the price.
It's only happens on dips in the road when you're pushing really. So in reality it's quite infrequent to be honest
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 12:38 AM   #140
GhostFvr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightM2 View Post
Thought I would share some images with the newly installed MSS suspension.

Very impressed with handling, comfort and height.
Installed at Elite Euro Performance, Melbourne
Can I ask how much it was in total supply+install? Thinking about getting it done. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 09:25 PM   #141
juanky84
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:

Looks spot on. Do you recall at what height did you set the adjusters? Deciding what will be my starting point. My kit should arrive tomorrow 🔥
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 02:12 PM   #142
Revolagoy
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Hello,

I installed the MSS springs on my 2018 M2 last weekend and was wondering how many of you with the same suspension adhered to the front being 5mm lower than the rear as a "must do" in the instructions?

My goal for the MSS springs was to improve ride quality and keep my car at the stock ride height which was 623mm front and 616mm rear. In order to follow the 5mm rake "must do", I ended up with 616mm in the front and 621mm in the rear. I really would like it to be more like the stock set up but didn't want to go against the install instructions. Seems strange to me to say the kit allows you to set your car at stock height but the instructions contradict your ability to do that.

What do you guys think of this "must do" requirement?

By the way, I emailed MSS with the same question and they regurgitated their install instruction requirement of a 5mm rake.

One last question, when you lower your car on the stock shocks with a kit like MSS are you taking away piston travel from the suspension?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 06:11 PM   #143
Thucp
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Any reviews with MSS vs Dinan?
Appreciate 0