BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > AutoSolutions M2 Comp Short Shift Kit Quick Review

08-08-2020, 10:22 AM   #45
Jeffe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Just added the autosolutions shifter to my m2c. It's legitimately a different car. You can't really understand how terrible the stock shift mechanism is until you jump over to what Ron makes at autosolutions. Worth every single penny to have this kit, I can't imagine going back to that vague BS from before.

I chose stock height & center, 15% reduction with the upgraded bushing (a must), and medium hardness. Ron is a world class vendor and is super helpful when it comes to explaining the methodology behind the shifter and why it's so far improved from the stock setup.

Previous:
2018 Mini Cooper S (F56) (grey/black)6MT
2015 NC Miata club PRHT 6MT
2007 911 Carrera 2 (black/tan) 6MT
2017 Grand Sport (blue/white/red) 7MT
2015 BMW M4 (BSM/SS) 6MT
2011 C63 AMG (black/black) 7A
Appreciate 2
chris7197273.00
OzWoz75.00
      08-08-2020, 10:40 AM   #46
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffe View Post
Just added the autosolutions shifter to my m2c. It's legitimately a different car. You can't really understand how terrible the stock shift mechanism is until you jump over to what Ron makes at autosolutions. Worth every single penny to have this kit, I can't imagine going back to that vague BS from before.

I chose stock height & center, 15% reduction with the upgraded bushing (a must), and medium hardness. Ron is a world class vendor and is super helpful when it comes to explaining the methodology behind the shifter and why it's so far improved from the stock setup.
Here's the thread I started quite some time ago.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1643086

One of the best, if not the best mods you can do.

I highly recommend adding the UCP as well
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726

Last edited by SEAT TIME RULES; 10-14-2020 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
Jeffe198.50
      08-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #47
Midtown2020
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (6MT) & X3MC

Quote:

What shop did you have it installed at and how many hours did it take? I’m in Houston and am looking to find a good shop. Always willing to find an excuse to drive to Austin
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 02:07 PM   #48
Jeffe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown2020 View Post
Quote:

What shop did you have it installed at and how many hours did it take? I'm in Houston and am looking to find a good shop. Always willing to find an excuse to drive to Austin
I live right around the corner from German Auto Center and they did a fantastic job. Ask for Chris or Len (owner). They installed mine in a couple of hours and did a flawless job. Chris
Told me he's done a few other installs from autosolutions before so it was a breeze for them. Would highly recommend if you don't mind the drive!

Previous:
2015 BMW M4 (BSM/SS) 6MT
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #49
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Just added the autosolutions shifter to my m2c. It's legitimately a different car.
Isn't it though?! One of those mods that is instantly noticeable.

Quote:
You can't really understand how terrible the stock shift mechanism is until you jump over to what Ron makes at autosolutions. Worth every single penny to have this kit, I can't imagine going back to that vague BS from before.

I think the 15% reduction you went with is not much (kind of middle of the road), but I bet it feels awesome from how tight and precise it made things.

Ron is so knowledgeable and a real class-act. Glad you took the plunge!

I also did the UCP and CDV delete. Both of those are much more subtle, but you may consider the mods. The 3 together have a nice synergy.
Appreciate 1
Jeffe198.50
      08-10-2020, 12:01 PM   #50
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown2020 View Post
What shop did you have it installed at and how many hours did it take? I’m in Houston and am looking to find a good shop. Always willing to find an excuse to drive to Austin
The shop I used, which is the one Ron recommended in my area (Nor Cal), charged me about 2.5 hours of labor, I believe. They've done a number of SSK's from Ron. In all honesty, that's a very fair time estimate. If I tried to do it myself, without a lift, it would take me all day.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 05:06 PM   #51
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Ron also recommended a shop for me in the LA area. It took them also 2.5 hours to install. Hmu if you need the referral and price.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #52
Jeffe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Quote:
Just added the autosolutions shifter to my m2c. It's legitimately a different car.
Isn't it though?! One of those mods that is instantly noticeable.

Quote:
You can't really understand how terrible the stock shift mechanism is until you jump over to what Ron makes at autosolutions. Worth every single penny to have this kit, I can't imagine going back to that vague BS from before.

I think the 15% reduction you went with is not much (kind of middle of the road), but I bet it feels awesome from how tight and precise it made things.

Ron is so knowledgeable and a real class-act. Glad you took the plunge!

I also did the UCP and CDV delete. Both of those are much more subtle, but you may consider the mods. The 3 together have a nice synergy.
I'm still on the fence about the CDV but really want to pursue it. I've heard it can damage the clutch? Any weirdness post CDV mod on your side? I do plan to go with a UCP as well to tie it all together.

As for the 15%, it definitely feels shorter. I purchased originally not to gain a shorter throw, rather, I needed a more precise engagement. The stock shifter feels like a mess. I felt like money shifting was a totally possible at all times due to the vagueness. Yes, that's probably a little dramatic to say, but I certainly don't have this feeling anymore with the new SSK.

Rons setup feels closer to how my C7 GS shifter felt: bolt action rifle-like. It's notchy in a good way. This should be standard from the factory.

Previous:
2015 BMW M4 (BSM/SS) 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #53
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm still on the fence about the CDV but really want to pursue it. I've heard it can damage the clutch? Any weirdness post CDV mod on your side? I do plan to go with a UCP as well to tie it all together.

As for the 15%, it definitely feels shorter. I purchased originally not to gain a shorter throw, rather, I needed a more precise engagement. The stock shifter feels like a mess. I felt like money shifting was a totally possible at all times due to the vagueness. Yes, that's probably a little dramatic to say, but I certainly don't have this feeling anymore with the new SSK.

Rons setup feels closer to how my C7 GS shifter felt: bolt action rifle-like. It's notchy in a good way. This should be standard from the factory.
I've not had any weirdness at all since removing the CDV, and I did that one last. I'm no expert, but I don't really see how it could damage the clutch if you're an experienced MT driver. It will be the driver that damages the clutch, not the CDV delete

It's funny, I never thought the stock shifter was all that bad, but the other day, I was at the dealer and they had an M2C 6MT in the showroom. I sat in it, and played with the shifter, and I would say I completely agree with your assessment that the stock shifter feels like a mess.

One word of advice if/when you do the UCP: Try out the 'stock' setting. I recently changed the position from 'sport' (the middle) to 'stock', and it's more linear.

C7 GS, nice! I've been looking at the C8 a lot lately. I dismissed it initially because of the lack of MT. Now, there are so many things I like about that car. One thing I don't like is how big it's gotten. But I guess that's the trend with all cars these days *sigh*.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:17 PM   #54
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Wow, I wonder how this ssk feels like compared to the stock ones. Such glowing reviews from everyone.
I’m content with my stock shifter, but I do have experienced mis-shifting a handful of times. (Although I didn’t engage the clutch after realizing mis-selecting gear, it was not a pleasant feeling)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:18 PM   #55
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

I take it installation is quite involved? DIY unfriendly?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:34 PM   #56
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
It's not too bad, and all relative. I think the biggest issue for the home DIY'er is that you may have to drop or loosen the transmission/driveshaft to get access (although I could be wrong). I saw a vid of where they stripped or broke the heads off the transmission mount while installing a SSK (although it was for an F30, and an older car). It will certainly help if you have a lift. Also, you have to remove a couple of panels under the car and remove the exhaust. From the top, the biggest pain is that you have to remove that rubber boot, and I think it helps to have snap ring pliers as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #57
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, I wonder how this ssk feels like compared to the stock ones. Such glowing reviews from everyone.
I’m content with my stock shifter, but I do have experienced mis-shifting a handful of times. (Although I didn’t engage the clutch after realizing mis-selecting gear, it was not a pleasant feeling)
It feels like a different car. IMO, the OEM is made for comfort and ease, not feel and precision.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #58
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Quote:
It's not too bad. There are just a lot of things that need to be removed to get to the shifter. You're working in pretty tight spaces which complicates things, but it's definitely doable if you're patient.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #59
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
I wish I can test one out... I do like to have some cushion in the shifter actions, and I’m not a fan of notchy shifters.
I do like precise actions, but for some reason, I didn’t enjoy how the TR6060 felt like in the C6 Vettes and 6th gen Camaros (V8).
I think I prefer the M2’s stock shifter to stock GM Camaro shifter(TR6060).

Anyone who has experience driving those, would you say this SSK feels more like the ones in the Camaro or Corvettes?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 04:31 PM   #60
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

For those of you who've had a shop install the SSK-- do you remember how many hours you were charged? Trying to compare apples to apples when I go shop shopping.

TIA--

R.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 04:35 PM   #61
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
For those of you who've had a shop install the SSK-- do you remember how many hours you were charged? Trying to compare apples to apples when I go shop shopping.

TIA--

R.
It took almost three hours and I paid $200.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 05:47 PM   #62
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Yup 3 hrs
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 02:25 PM   #63
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Hey guys- the first (semi-) local shop that was recommended here called it at 3.5 hours plus brake fluid, etc. and 1.5 additional hours for a CDV removal/replacement.

So, 5 hours, which seems pretty high.

Thoughts?

My second shot is asking what EXACTLY the install entails as they haven't done a SSK on an M2C yet and need that info to work up a price.

A little help?

I I just took a 40% pay cut due to Covid, so the Minister of War and Finance (my wife) is putting the skids on my car/bike hobby.

TIA.
      10-21-2020, 04:39 PM   #64
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Hey guys- the first (semi-) local shop that was recommended here called it at 3.5 hours plus brake fluid, etc. and 1.5 additional hours for a CDV removal/replacement.

So, 5 hours, which seems pretty high.

Thoughts?
3 hours seems to be about average to install the SSK + 1 hour to R&R the clutch slave = 4 hours

So 5 hours is maybe a little high, but by no means outrageous

Obviously, it depends on the labor rate, as well

IMHO, I would go with whatever shop you think will do the best job even if it means spending a little extra
Appreciate 2
      10-21-2020, 04:52 PM   #65
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My second shot is asking what EXACTLY the install entails as they haven't done a SSK on an M2C yet and need that info to work up a price.

A little help?
See attachments below for SSK
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TIS-GearshiftKnobAndCover.pdf (373.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: pdf TIS-GearshiftLever.pdf (626.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: pdf TIS-ExhaustSystem.pdf (463.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: pdf TIS-TransmissionCrossmember.pdf (126.1 KB, 95 views)
File Type: pdf TIS-UnderbodyProtection.pdf (123.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: pdf TIS-PropellerShaft.pdf (1.33 MB, 268 views)
Appreciate 2
      10-21-2020, 04:56 PM   #66
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

A little help?
See attachments below for clutch slave
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TIS-ClutchSlaveR&R.pdf (357.1 KB, 118 views)
File Type: pdf TIS-ClutchSlaveBleed.pdf (208.9 KB, 181 views)
File Type: pdf TIS-UnderbodyProtection.pdf (123.0 KB, 79 views)
Appreciate 2
flybigjet6619.00
OzWoz75.00