BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Sound deadening

09-24-2020, 05:32 PM   #353
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Bump.

I did the opposite of this thread on my M240i. On the F22 chassis, we can essentially hear 90% ASD and 10% actual exhaust sound. I wanted a little more so I popped the rear panels off and removed these aluminum plates.

Here are some photos of what exactly is inside these holes! I did get about 20% more exhaust noise and about 5-10% more road noise by removing these plates. Not sure how exhaust sound makes it through these holes, but it does.
Attached Images

09-25-2020, 10:47 AM   #354
iRasF87
Private
Rep
Drives: MG_'17Ⓜ2

How are plates secured to body - what are the black circles? Were you keeping the plates or plan on giving them away?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 01:18 PM   #355
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRasF87 View Post
How are plates secured to body - what are the black circles? Were you keeping the plates or plan on giving them away?
The black circles are plastic clips which secure the plate to the side panel:
Attached Images

09-25-2020, 01:56 PM   #356
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
The clips hold it pretty good but the panel can still slide around a little so I was concerned it would rattle or buzz so I added some additional sound deadener like tape...seems to work well. Poor iPhone pic below.
Attached Images

10-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #357
modeboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp / HS / DCT

Just ordered all these parts for my '20 M2 Comp! LOL. Might need some guidance when I go to put them in... Great thread!

Thanks,

Jason
      11-01-2020, 05:23 AM   #358
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeese View Post
Very nice!

...In the interim, I am trying to understand if the parts I have added so far have led to an increase in air pressure. It's crazy annoying. It may be that what I am feeling (hearing?) was always present. Anyway, it is conspicuous.....

I had this type of sensation when I installed the Active Autowerke exhaust on my N55. Had extremely poor fitment from the downpipe adapter and midpipe. On highway trips it felt like pressure would build up in my ears. Everything was fixed after I had the pipes modded to not touch anything.

I'm having this build up of air pressure in my ears with my stock N55 M2 - you mentioned you had the pipes modded to not touch anything in regards to a poor fitment from the down-up and midpipe?

Could you share a little more about the work that was done here? I would have never thought the exhaust would be causing this sensation for myself, but now did want to explore getting this checked out and would be great to know a little more so I can point the workshop in the right direction, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 05:35 AM   #359
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Very nice!

...In the interim, I am trying to understand if the parts I have added so far have led to an increase in air pressure. It's crazy annoying. It may be that what I am feeling (hearing?) was always present. Anyway, it is conspicuous.....

I had this type of sensation when I installed the Active Autowerke exhaust on my N55. Had extremely poor fitment from the downpipe adapter and midpipe. On highway trips it felt like pressure would build up in my ears. Everything was fixed after I had the pipes modded to not touch anything.

I'm having this build up of air pressure in my ears with my stock N55 M2 - you mentioned you had the pipes modded to not touch anything in regards to a poor fitment from the down-up and midpipe?

Could you share a little more about the work that was done here? I would have never thought the exhaust would be causing this sensation for myself, but now did want to explore getting this checked out and would be great to know a little more so I can point the workshop in the right direction, thanks!
sure. I had to increase the length of the downpipe adapter AA included. Added about 1" to give us extra clearance as their original angle of the downpipe caused the midpipe to touch the chassis. Hope that helps
Attached Images

-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 05:55 AM   #360
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very nice!

sure. I had to increase the length of the downpipe adapter AA included. Added about 1" to give us extra clearance as their original angle of the downpipe caused the midpipe to touch the chassis. Hope that helps
Great - thanks very much for the prompt reply on this. So pardon the silly question, so the midpipe making contact with the chassis had an impact with cabin air pressure giving you a blocked ear sensation?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 06:03 AM   #361
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very nice!

Great - thanks very much for the prompt reply on this. So pardon the silly question, so the midpipe making contact with the chassis had an impact with cabin air pressure giving you a blocked ear sensation?
I don't know about actual air pressure changing, but I think it created some type of drone that felt like pressure when my windows were rolled up.
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 06:09 AM   #362
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't know about actual air pressure changing, but I think it created some type of drone that felt like pressure when my windows were rolled up.
Cools - sounds like something similar I'm experiencing but with my stock exhaust.. i did buy my car second hand so possibly something was modified but thanks for the inputs here, I'll definitely look further into this!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 03:34 AM   #363
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The two side panels ... 30 min each. The side panels pop off rather easily. I taped the inside of the two dinner-plate sized pans to avoid rattling in the future. The pins position the plate, but do not necessarily hold it firmly against the body. Preferring to find something tacky and redo the work. Still, no rattles, yet.
I'm not the most handy around my car - are there any instructions on how to remove the side panels to installed the side plates? I did try a forum search but couldn't find such.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 03:35 AM   #364
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
Bump.

I did the opposite of this thread on my M240i. On the F22 chassis, we can essentially hear 90% ASD and 10% actual exhaust sound. I wanted a little more so I popped the rear panels off and removed these aluminum plates.

Here are some photos of what exactly is inside these holes! I did get about 20% more exhaust noise and about 5-10% more road noise by removing these plates. Not sure how exhaust sound makes it through these holes, but it does.
Did you reference any online instructions / forum posts to remove the rear panels?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #365
m3username
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2

For those curious these two posts in this thread seem to have all the part numbers we need. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=163
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=164

Last edited by m3username; 11-02-2020 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 02:37 PM   #366
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Parts I have. How-To instructions would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #367
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT (LBB)

Quote:
I'm not the most handy around my car - are there any instructions on how to remove the side panels to installed the side plates? I did try a forum search but couldn't find such.
Start with the post below and see if this has the info. you need.
Removing C pillar Trim
As I recall, once I had an inkling of where to pry with my fingers to release one or more fasterners, it was simply a matter of gauging resistance. A light touch, but not too light.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 04:36 PM   #368
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Start with the post below and see if this has the info. you need.
Removing C pillar Trim
As I recall, once I had an inkling of where to pry with my fingers to release one or more fasterners, it was simply a matter of gauging resistance. A light touch, but not too light.
Great thanks very much zeese - much appreciated! Will give this a try soon.

Pardon the silly question but to disconnect the battery, do I just unhook on both the positive and negative terminals? Will this reset anything with the car?

Also by unplugging the battery - will this remove all chance of the side airbag deploying? That's the thing I want to avoid the most!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 07:18 PM   #369
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pardon the silly question but to disconnect the battery, do I just unhook on both the positive and negative terminals? Will this reset anything with the car?

Also by unplugging the battery - will this remove all chance of the side airbag deploying? That's the thing I want to avoid the most!
I don't think you need to disconnect the battery for any of the "normal" sound deadening exercises. I did not do so.

Parts found for 2017 BMW M2 Coupe(F87) > Restraint System And Accessories > Air Bag
The side airbags are in the front seats.

Will you lose settings? Maybe. Surely only the transient ones that do not matter so much (e.g. clock). Radio stations? I do not know ...

Beware when disconnecting the battery (simply disconnect the negative cable).

Disconnected Battery *Accidentally closed boot* - URGENT

As a rule, I am disconnecting the battery whenever I am electrical components are being unplugged, or plugged in, etc. Also, I disconnect the battery when certain people are helping me and the car is on jack stands, etc. Experience has shown there's always one person who cannot help but touch things at an inopportune time.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #370
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think you need to disconnect the battery for any of the "normal" sound deadening exercises. I did not do so.

Parts found for 2017 BMW M2 Coupe(F87) > Restraint System And Accessories > Air Bag
The side airbags are in the front seats.

Will you lose settings? Maybe. Surely only the transient ones that do not matter so much (e.g. clock). Radio stations? I do not know ...

Beware when disconnecting the battery (simply disconnect the negative cable).

Disconnected Battery *Accidentally closed boot* - URGENT

As a rule, I am disconnecting the battery whenever I am electrical components are being unplugged, or plugged in, etc. Also, I disconnect the battery when certain people are helping me and the car is on jack stands, etc. Experience has shown there's always one person who cannot help but touch things at an inopportune time.

Good luck!
Thanks heaps zeese! The inputs here are very much appreciated. Will forever be grateful for the support here on the forums! Great thread here that I'm sure will be very handy for many.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 07:35 PM   #371
m3username
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2

Okay, to make this easier for everybody after:

Door and front wheel noise
Sealing side panel, left: 51487300693 $15.07
Sealing side panel right: 51487300694 $15.01

Engine Compartment
Sound insulation, engine compartment: 51487221993 $94.11
Clips 18 x 51489119216 $0.50 ea

SOUND INSULATING WHEEL HOUSING REAR LEFT: 51487334357 $40.47
SOUND INSULATING WHEEL HOUSING REAR RIGHT: 51487334358 $40.47

Lateral trim panel rear
Cover for side section, left: 41007294289 $31.52
Cover for side section, right: 41007294290 $31.52
Clips 12 x 51489119216 $0.50 ea

Trunk Insulation
SOUND INSULATION TRUNK LEFT 51487296055 $40.47
SOUND INSULATION TRUNK RIGHT 51487296056 $40.47

Fixing plug D = 8MM 12 x 51471911992 $0.70 ea

Total Price $372.51 USD (before tax)
Appreciate 4
hlm2c289.50
Stylin.M2262.50
      11-02-2020, 10:40 PM   #372
Matt Devo
Recovering RS4 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3username View Post
the under-hood insulation doesn't ship for free (like everything else); it was estimated at $45+ for me.

There's an Amazon seller who has it for ~$100 with free shipping, that's where I got mine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NR3OP7Q

Also, you left out the two door insulation pieces (51487319479, 51487319480), but seems there is some question as to whether they are needed / already installed. I didn't see a conclusive answer yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 12:12 AM   #373
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Devo View Post
the under-hood insulation doesn't ship for free (like everything else); it was estimated at $45+ for me.

There's an Amazon seller who has it for ~$100 with free shipping, that's where I got mine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NR3OP7Q

Also, you left out the two door insulation pieces (51487319479, 51487319480), but seems there is some question as to whether they are needed / already installed. I didn't see a conclusive answer yet.
Good catch!

Here are details from my invoice from Jan 2020:

Code:
Seller: bmwsfparts (3082)
Order total:
Price	$92.54
Shipping	Free
Sales tax	$7.63

Total charged to abcdef-1234 $100.17
Black Friday / Cyber Monday surely will make $100 doable.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #374
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

Appreciate the summary and links. Well done. Just one question. The photos in the link for the hood insulation show a number of other parts in addition to the pad and clips. Are any of these items required or do I just need the padding and clips?
Appreciate 0