BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > LBB M2 in Winter Mode Spotted in Munich

12-10-2015, 08:23 AM   #23
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

It has to be valved to one side. All these pics show the same dirty on the right, clean on the left. Very disappointing design choice but shouldn't be too hard to just mod the valve to stay open.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 11:02 AM   #24
M2GB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911 and M2

It is the same with the M235i, the right side gets more dirty. Only the right hand side is open when the car is cold....
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #25
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Why? All tips stem from the same muffler. There is no need to close a valve on both sides. Closing down an entire side achieves the same result with less parts.
Closing both on one side is not how it's supposed to be done. It looks as if the other side is just a fake add-on. Check valve-controlled quad-pipe exhausts of different car and exhaust brands.

As regards the 1M, there was the peculiarity with the exhaust for the Chinese market (inner exhaust tips clean):
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...14&postcount=1
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=84

Ferrari Enzo:
Philosophically you may be right, but the M2 will have the same exhaust system as the M235i except where sound and the number of tips are involved. And that car has one valve. The only difference is M put two tips on each side instead of one.
      12-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #26
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Philosophically you may be right, but the M2 will have the same exhaust system as the M235i except where sound and the number of tips are involved. And that car has one valve. The only difference is M put two tips on each side instead of one.
Should the M2 channel all exhaust fumes to only one side of the exhaust tips (which needs to be determined), then such choice cannot be applauded. Looks a bit daft that, when the engine is not up to temperature, exhaust fumes escape only from one side, giving the impression that the exhaust on the other side is a boy racer fake. So let's see. And if confirmed, hopefully the M2 ///M Performance Exhaust (featuring a wireless remote) operates the way it should.

When you close the single valve of the 1M Akrapovič exhaust, all exhaust fumes are channeled through the inner exhaust tips. In the picture below you see how this is achieved:

12-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #27
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Looks a bit daft that, when the engine is not up to temperature, exhaust fumes escape only from one side, giving the impression that the exhaust on the other side is a boy racer fake.
I have the M Performance exhaust on my M235i and that is exactly what I don't like about the exhaust valve.
Appreciate 0