BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW 1 Series Sedan (F52) Emerges (updated with first video)

09-07-2014, 03:57 AM   #133
shotten99
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20/116d

Yikes. My first thought was: a BMW that has torque-steer. Bleh.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #134
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
I (and am sure others have) noticed you've not commented on whether the 2 series will go FWD... Any reason ?
He says in this thread that the next generation 2 series will be front wheel drive.
Well that is a shame, a crying shame. They'd better make a damned good xdrive M2 or they will be an absolute laughing stock.

I guess there is some hope because the LSD on the Golf GTi has been raved about by TopGear, so I guess you can make wrong wheel drive at least not appear to be wrong if you do it right.

RIP RWD hot hatches and small coupes
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #135
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Hope BMW is closely watching this thread... seriously.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #136
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I do not state specifically America. Remember BMW are catering to the global market. Sticking to one market is myopic at best and not good for growth.
Every business in the global market has to grow and adapt or die.
BMW should die then. Plain and simple.
Wow. Amazing. You would think that suddenly BMW announced EVERY model has gone Fwd. Some of you folks need to get a grip.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #137
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by notan///m View Post
I hope they are not.

It will give them the impression that most BMW fans are narrow-minded, self-centric, over reacting, hypocritical, hissy-fit dummy-spitters.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #138
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Interesting update - UKL is a modular chassis and can be adapted/subtracted as FWD or RWD.

Full decision on the 2er is not final yet (full decision will be taken by the end of the year) and can use the UKL chassis but can adapted for RWD. (BMW M are fighting for RWD because the M2 is apparently even more outstanding than the 1er M Coupe)

What the strategy aims to show is a split between the 1er and 2er , but vehicles that cannot compromise on space and versatility will be addressed via FWD namely the 1er , X1 , X2 and Active/Gran Tourers.
This is the 1er Sedan but the strategy involves a 2er Gran Coupe. So that compact entry lines will mirror the upper segments in the BMW portfolio.

The G chassis or 35Up is too expensive to use for smaller compact cars and therefore starts with the 3er or in the case of the first entry model the G01 X3.

This the 1er Sedan and when I saw it today along with the Discovery Sport-ish X1 X-Sport.
First thing immediately is you get E46 Goose-pimples. It is that similar in profile. But the detail is modern BMW, the headlights connect to the grille similar to the 1er Render but to distinguish sedan from hatch there is a flick at the inner edge close to the grille.
The rear lights are in the typical L shape but more angular in shape.
The model was a styling model so no interior.
But I seen a preview of the new interior which includes extra surfaces and additional (as optional) passenger display interface. The ergonomics are as evolutionary as today's car with controls placed high for easy reach.

The X1 X-Sport (extended X1) is having an "Outdoor" version prepared that adds thicker wheel arches and more cladding to the underbody with a slight raise in suspension height. The X1Xsport is exclusively xDrive and a seven seater. There will be base models what with X line etc. it brings back a more utilityappearance like the first generation X3 which surprisingly some customers missed on the LCi because it was far more durable and could handle stone chips better than the painted surface updates.
Originally intended for China exclusively. This model will now be available in all key markets.
      09-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #139
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Interesting update - UKL is a modular chassis and can be adapted/subtracted as FWD or RWD.

Full decision on the 2er is not final yet (full decision will be taken by the end of the year) and can use the UKL chassis but can adapted for RWD. (BMW M are fighting for RWD because the M2 is apparently even more outstanding than the 1er M Coupe)
I sure hope BMW M will win this decision!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #140
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski
Quote:
Originally Posted by notan///m View Post
I hope they are not.

It will give them the impression that most BMW fans are narrow-minded, self-centric, over reacting, hypocritical, hissy-fit dummy-spitters.

Ha! And of course that impression would be corrrect!

unfortunately, apparently BMW fans, on balance, are no more evolved than any other fans.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-08-2014 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #141
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26

What the strategy aims to show is a split between the 1er and 2er , but vehicles that cannot compromise on space and versatility will be addressed via FWD namely the 1er , X1 , X2 and Active/Gran Tourers.
This is the 1er Sedan but the strategy involves a 2er Gran Coupe. So that compact entry lines will mirror the upper segments in the BMW portfolio.

The G chassis or 35Up is too expensive to use for smaller compact cars and therefore starts with the 3er or in the case of the first entry model the G01 X3.

This the 1er Sedan and when I saw it today along with the Discovery Sport-ish X1 X-Sport.
First thing immediately is you get E46 Goose-pimples. It is that similar in profile. But the detail is modern BMW, the headlights connect to the grille similar to the 1er Render but to distinguish sedan from hatch there is a flick at the inner edge close to the grille.
The rear lights are in the typical L shape but more angular in shape.
The model was a styling model so no interior.
But I seen a preview of the new interior which includes extra surfaces and additional (as optional) passenger display interface. The ergonomics are as evolutionary as today's car with controls placed high for easy reach.

The X1 X-Sport (extended X1) is having an "Outdoor" version prepared that adds thicker wheel arches and more cladding to the underbody with a slight raise in suspension height. The X1Xsport is exclusively xDrive and a seven seater. There will be base models what with X line etc. it brings back a more utilityappearance like the first generation X3 which surprisingly some customers missed on the LCi because it was far more durable and could handle stone chips better than the painted surface updates.
Originally intended for China exclusively. This model will now be available in all key markets.
This is a no brainer. Make the chassis so it can also use RWD.

If these photos are of what would be badged as a 2 series gran coupe for North America ( which is my own personal opinion) then BMW will finally be addressing a segment of the market that they vacated ever since the E36 halted production. If it is flexible enough in design to still be used as a 1 series FWD chassis for other markets or for orther MINI vehicles then so be it.. there indeed will be a lot of economy of scale. Missing out on the opportunity to bring a 2 series gran coupe (AKA E36 sized 4 door sedan) to the north american market would be an error BMW will sorely regret in the future. More small cars are still needed here.... and with all the models movig up in size... every auto manufacturer except for BMW has figured out how to bring smaller vehicles in to the US market. The civic, corolla, altima, have moved up and smaller models came in below. Audi is bringing over A3.. Merc has CLA... etc etc...

From your comments, " This is the 1er Sedan but the strategy involves a 2er Gran Coupe. " and that there are plans for an X1 X-Sport (extended X1) indicate to me that this platform should be able support both of those models.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-08-2014 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #142
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
This is a no brainer. Make the chassis so it can also use RWD.

If these photos are of what would be badged as a 2 series gran coupe for North America ( which is my own personal opinion) then BMW will finally be addressing a segment of the market that they vacated ever since the E36 halted production. If it is flexible enough in design to still be used as a 1 series FWD chassis for other markets or for orther MINI vehicles then so be it.. there indeed will be a lot of economy of scale. Missing out on the opportunity to bring a 2 series gran coupe (AKA E36 sized 4 door sedan) to the north american market would be an error BMW will sorely regret in the future. More small cars are still needed here.... and with all the models movig up in size... every auto manufacturer except for BMW has figured out how to bring smaller vehicles in to the US market. The civic, corolla, altima, have moved up and smaller models came in below. Audi is bringing over A3.. Merc has CLA... etc etc...

From your comments, " This is the 1er Sedan but the strategy involves a 2er Gran Coupe. " and that there are plans for an X1 X-Sport (extended X1) indicate to me that this platform should be able support both of those models.
Well you have a 3er sedan and a 4er Gran Coupe , a 5er Sedan and a 6er Gran Coupe then you will have a 7er Sedan and then an 8er Gran Coupe so it makes perfect sense to have a 1er Sedan and 2er Gran Coupe because there is already continuity. The car in the scoop photographs is the 1er Sedan.
And by the looks , status and engines on offer . The car will be a success.
      09-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #143
OneDirty
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph
Quote:
I do not state specifically America. Remember BMW are catering to the global market. Sticking to one market is myopic at best and not good for growth.
Every business in the global market has to grow and adapt or die.
BMW should die then. Plain and simple.
Wow. Amazing. You would think that suddenly BMW announced EVERY model has gone Fwd. Some of you folks need to get a grip.
No, just the ones I buy. But fuck me, right?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #144
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDirty

No, just the ones I buy. But fuck me, right?
Well I sure won't. But IF the time comes, then perhaps someone will. So far... I havent seen any announcements from BMW AG about their chassis.... Until then, you should perhaps stay away from tall buildings or ledges.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-08-2014 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #145
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26

This is the 1er Sedan but the strategy involves a 2er Gran Coupe....
That is the best news I've heard in a long time; it means there is no technical reason why M135i, M235i and M2 cannot remain (or optionally) RWD which would be the most sensible thing to do, they are unique and niche products.

The 2 gran coupe also sounds very welcome.

Now all we need to know is what and when is BMW's answer to the 911 Turbo S and McLaren 650S coming?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #146
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
You would think that suddenly BMW announced EVERY model has gone Fwd.
Just the ones that matter are.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #147
motorchimp
I have Brimbo's
Rep
Drives: 135is, X3

All this makes me wanna hang on to my 135is and never ever ever ever ever ever let go.

Ever.
      09-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #148
OneDirty
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorchimp
All this makes me wanna hang on to my 135is and never ever ever ever ever ever let go.

Ever.
I should have kept my 130i. Damn.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #149
Gatriel
aus Deutschland
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 e91 320d

Quote:
Well you have a 3er sedan and a 4er Gran Coupe , a 5er Sedan and a 6er Gran Coupe then you will have a 7er Sedan and then an 8er Gran Coupe so it makes perfect sense to have a 1er Sedan and 2er Gran Coupe because there is already continuity. The car in the scoop photographs is the 1er Sedan.
Wait --

The 2er GC is a thing again? I thought the 2er GC was DOA, and for those of us who want 4 doors, RWD and not Maersk Alabama sized -- we were just simply SOL.

But if the 2er GC is back in the cards -- then this is good saves, save for the badge riders.

Looking forward to seeing FWD 1er at track day.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #150
ALPINA B5
Banned
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: the subway. otherwise the bmw.

so bmw went and made a passat
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #151
jasemsport
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E46 touring M-sport

Please bmw this: 225i GC m-sport rwd!! :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #152
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel
Quote:
Wait --

The 2er GC is a thing again? I thought the 2er GC was DOA, and for those of us who want 4 doors, RWD and not Maersk Alabama sized -- we were just simply SOL.

But if the 2er GC is back in the cards -- then this is good saves, save for the badge riders.

Looking forward to seeing FWD 1er at track day.
The idea of a 2gc has never been dead. Just never been acknowledged. It only makes sense that one is coming. It's the biggest hole in the entire lineup, ( the hole that's been there since the e36 was upsized to e46).

My money is on the 1 series being for the world and the 2 series coupe ( and gran coupe ) is for the US with no 1 series here.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #153
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

Quote:
That's an E46 in that video which makes that advertisement almost 20 years ago.
About 15 years at most. Nevertheless, the rules of physics are timeless
      09-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #154
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

So why won't BMW make an M135 RWD sedan? Because it would be the best selling car in the lineup, and it would rob sales from the ever-growing-fatter 3 series (and probably some from the M lineup).
Appreciate 0