BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Any issues with warranty after using bimmercode?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-28-2020, 10:06 AM   #23
KHAP13
Enlisted Member
United_States
23
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Where does coding out faults in conjunction with changing to aftermarket seats fall on the spectrum of VO Code vs a Bimmercode APP on/off function?

For Example, changing the seat airbags, occupancy sensor, seat position sensor etc to not active? This isn't something that can be carried out with a simple App, is it?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
VO coding means using a much more intricate program, to dig into the computer mapping and add or remove said features (as the factory did), via its "Vehicle Order" instead of using something like the Bimmercode APP, where alternatively, you make individual changes, to add or remove features.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #24
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
Poochie's Avatar
United_States
5725
Rep
6,043
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHAP13 View Post
Where does coding out faults in conjunction with changing to aftermarket seats fall on the spectrum of VO Code vs a Bimmercode APP on/off function?

For Example, changing the seat airbags, occupancy sensor, seat position sensor etc to not active? This isn't something that can be carried out with a simple App, is it?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
VO coding means using a much more intricate program, to dig into the computer mapping and add or remove said features (as the factory did), via its "Vehicle Order" instead of using something like the Bimmercode APP, where alternatively, you make individual changes, to add or remove features.
No, you would need to "VO code" out the seat air bags, this is certainly not something that could be accomplished with the APP because not all the modules require for this task are available in the Bimmercode interface.

VO coding would allow you to add/delete the sensors, just as the factory would, when they were building the vehicle from scratch.


Here is example of VO coding; notice the coder is adding/removing features via a corresponding three digit option identification. This is how it's done:


Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 10:34 AM   #25
jordantii
First Lieutenant
66
Rep
307
Posts

Drives: M2 Sea
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tampa Bay

iTrader: (0)

My dealer actually would offer coding as a service for customers.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #26
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
Poochie's Avatar
United_States
5725
Rep
6,043
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
My dealer actually would offer coding as a service for customers.
I sincerely doubt a franchise dealer would officially code anything on your vehicle, that's not sanctioned by BMW AG.

First of all, their system doesn't allow direct FLD coding (individual line of changes) as Bimmercode does and most of the stuff that's already decoded is because of regulatory restrictions, so a dealer would be in US DOT violation, by making some specific coding changes..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #27
Bumpinjeep
Captain
Bumpinjeep's Avatar
United_States
644
Rep
708
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Redmond, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbombs View Post
Are you the M2 guru? lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
No, no expert; just some random guy on the internet, with a smart phone and more than half of a brain, that uses both, to get stuff done.
It seems to me like you're the expert
__________________
2020 M2C HS
Executive, 6 Speed
Appreciate 2
Moflow1310.50
Poochie5724.50

      10-28-2020, 02:48 PM   #28
CalAcacian
Private First Class
95
Rep
135
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Orange County, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
FYI, you're never going to be 100% safe. If for some reason the BMW tech needs to look at the software on the car and they see that changes have been made, this may lead to you losing your warranty. Now, i know there may be a slim chance, but if you are planning on keeping this car, I would think twice before coding anything on it.
Here's an example, let's say you want to auto fold those mirrors and one of the mirror motors breaks. Pretty sure you would be paying out of pocket for that one.
It depends state by state and country by country, but at least here in CA the dealer/manufacturer has the burden to prove that the modification is responsible for any rejected warranty claim.
__________________
2018 M2 Mineral Gray

Dinan CAI, Dinan Resonator Delete, Dinan Muffler, Macht Schnell EVC

RKP Diffuser, R1 Design Lip, Phase Carbon Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 02:52 PM   #29
CalAcacian
Private First Class
95
Rep
135
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Orange County, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Somewhat true, But not only that single item is blacklisted. For example, when it comes to aftermarket engine mods - the entire drivetrain warranty is voided.

Your defense is only as deep as your pockets, and I'm sure BMW has a great legal team to argue. You just have to decide whether or not this is a game you want to get involved in.
Actually, BMW's California counsel is about the worst money can buy because they're unwilling to pay reasonable hourly fees for their attorneys. But it makes practicing against them fun and easy.

Plus, almost all lemon law cases are done on a contingency basis. So clients pay nothing except hard costs unless they win. But you still have to have a compelling enough case for an attorney or firm to be willing to take the risk of non-payment to represent you.
__________________
2018 M2 Mineral Gray

Dinan CAI, Dinan Resonator Delete, Dinan Muffler, Macht Schnell EVC

RKP Diffuser, R1 Design Lip, Phase Carbon Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:52 PM   #30
jordantii
First Lieutenant
66
Rep
307
Posts

Drives: M2 Sea
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tampa Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I sincerely doubt a franchise dealer would officially code anything on your vehicle, that's not sanctioned by BMW AG.

First of all, their system doesn't allow direct FLD coding (individual line of changes) as Bimmercode does and most of the stuff that's already decoded is because of regulatory restrictions, so a dealer would be in US DOT violation, by making some specific coding changes..
Why would you doubt me? You think I'm lying? This came direct from the service managers mouth.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 06:07 PM   #31
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
Poochie's Avatar
United_States
5725
Rep
6,043
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I sincerely doubt a franchise dealer would officially code anything on your vehicle, that's not sanctioned by BMW AG.

First of all, their system doesn't allow direct FLD coding (individual line of changes) as Bimmercode does and most of the stuff that's already decoded is because of regulatory restrictions, so a dealer would be in US DOT violation, by making some specific coding changes..
Why would you doubt me? You think I'm lying? This came direct from the service managers mouth.
Simply because I know it's literally impossible to "code" with the dealer-level program and it violations their agreement with BMW AG to make such changes to any vehicle..

The dealer-level system doesn't make individual lines of "coding" as Bimmercode does, it uploads complete software-level moifications, in one fell swoop.. Dealers "program" ECU changes, they don't "code" them.

But whatever, If you say so, who am I to doubt you.. Good luck with all that..

Last edited by Poochie; 10-29-2020 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #32
jordantii
First Lieutenant
66
Rep
307
Posts

Drives: M2 Sea
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tampa Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Simply because I know it's literally impossible to "code" with the dealer-level program and it violations their agreement with BMW AG to make such changes to any vehicle..

The dealer-level system doesn't make individual lines of "coding" as Bimmercode does, it uploads complete software-level moifications, in one fell swoop.. Dealers "program" ECU changes, they don't "code" them.

But whatever, If you say so, who am I to doubt you.. Good luck with all that..
Passive agressive are we...?

They would use Bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #33
GregInNewMexico
Enlisted Member
GregInNewMexico's Avatar
59
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: BMW M2C
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
Passive agressive are we...?

They would use Bimmercode.
That was my takeaway as well, that they would use the same app we can. Sometimes the most simple explanation is the correct one.
__________________
Past BMWs:
2014 M235i
2007 550i
2006 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #34
jordantii
First Lieutenant
66
Rep
307
Posts

Drives: M2 Sea
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tampa Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInNewMexico View Post
That was my takeaway as well, that they would use the same app we can. Sometimes the most simple explanation is the correct one.
Exactly! This thread is about using Bimmercode. I thought that was a given... I guess I should have been more specific.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:48 PM   #35
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
Poochie's Avatar
United_States
5725
Rep
6,043
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Simply because I know it's literally impossible to "code" with the dealer-level program and it violations their agreement with BMW AG to make such changes to any vehicle..

The dealer-level system doesn't make individual lines of "coding" as Bimmercode does, it uploads complete software-level moifications, in one fell swoop.. Dealers "program" ECU changes, they don't "code" them.

But whatever, If you say so, who am I to doubt you.. Good luck with all that..
Passive agressive are we...?

They would use Bimmercode.
Because make no sense, you are..

So what's the point of going to the dealer or even mentioning this, you can pull over to the side of road and "code" yourself with Bimmercode..

Whatever man, space aliens can 'code' for you, I don't care but you specifically said a franchise dealer is coding whatever you want and that was factually misleading, since it's not something that they do or are even capable of accomplishing with their own equipment.. The end..
Appreciate 1
j23200.50

      10-29-2020, 05:09 PM   #36
jordantii
First Lieutenant
66
Rep
307
Posts

Drives: M2 Sea
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tampa Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Because make no sense, you are..

So what's the point of going to the dealer or even mentioning this, you can pull over to the side of road and "code" yourself with Bimmercode..

Whatever man, space aliens can 'code' for you, I don't care but you specifically said a franchise dealer is coding whatever you want and that was factually misleading, since it's not something that they do or are even capable of accomplishing with their own equipment.. The end..

The OP had warranty concerns. I was just relaying what my dealer told me. Weather you belive me or not, I could not care less. No reason for me to lie.

But you're right pooch, my bad. Sorry to have said anything...
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2020, 06:51 PM   #37
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
Poochie's Avatar
United_States
5725
Rep
6,043
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Because make no sense, you are..

So what's the point of going to the dealer or even mentioning this, you can pull over to the side of road and "code" yourself with Bimmercode..

Whatever man, space aliens can 'code' for you, I don't care but you specifically said a franchise dealer is coding whatever you want and that was factually misleading, since it's not something that they do or are even capable of accomplishing with their own equipment.. The end..

The OP had warranty concerns. I was just relaying what my dealer told me. Weather you belive me or not, I could not care less. No reason for me to lie.

But you're right pooch, my bad. Sorry to have said anything...
The dealer is going to help you with your warranty concerns, after you admitted to tamper with the vehicle's software..

Yea, that sounds about right and how a franchise dealer rolls; they just live and breath to correct to customer's mistakes, all gratis, courtesy of BMW..

Look, I didn't exactly mean to imply that you where being untruthful, maybe more misguided and regret going down this rabbit hole but just for reference, my point, without coming off snooty, merely was that an official dealer doesn't doesn't do what's called FDL coding, as which is done with the Bimmercode APP, simple because they can't possible make lines of coding changes, such as for example; auto/comfort mirror folding or the rear fog light activation mods.

When an official dealer replaces a part which requires new encoding, their system already has a corresponding software available, with a number or per-populated menu, which is then injected into the related modules, via programming. That guides how the intended part is meant to operate and keeps within all regulations and restrictions, for that specific region, if any. *see below*

A franchise dealer doesn't pull out their iPhone X with that cracked screen, order a OBD2 dongle from Amazon, download the APP, pay $30 Bimmercode, then make individuals lines of coding changes to their customer's cars, to their heart desires.

Their systems are way more comprehensive and regulated, in how and what encoding chances can be made to a customer's vehicle and how it's injected.

What us end-users accomplishes with Bimmercode, is sort of piggybacking into that aforementioned vehicle current software to generate a said result, a franchise dealer system doesn't work like that, they writes and injects their own commands and encoding parameters, via programming..

A dealer, can't and won't make changes as Bimmercode because their system doesn't allow FDL coding, they can only make encoding changes that's tied to a retrofit, repair, recall, etc and making any such chances as what done with Bimmercode would violate so many regulations that already is put in place, which it's only bridled by software encoding blocks.

Now, if you are telling me a dealer tech, off the books, is doing you a solid and using his Bimmercode APP or pirated version of eSyS to do some coding to your vehicle, then yes, that sounds very much plausible but I sincerely doubt any official dealer, worth his salt, is going to make any Bimmercode-like changing and officially invoice it.


.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 08:59 AM   #38
jordantii
First Lieutenant
66
Rep
307
Posts

Drives: M2 Sea
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tampa Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The dealer is going to help you with your warranty concerns, after you admitted to tamper with the vehicle's software..

Yea, that sounds about right and how a franchise dealer rolls; they just live and breath to correct to customer's mistakes, all gratis, courtesy of BMW..

Look, I didn't exactly mean to imply that you where being untruthful, maybe more misguided and regret going down this rabbit hole but just for reference, my point, without coming off snooty, merely was that an official dealer doesn't doesn't do what's called FDL coding, as which is done with the Bimmercode APP, simple because they can't possible make lines of coding changes, such as for example; auto/comfort mirror folding or the rear fog light activation mods.

When an official dealer replaces a part which requires new encoding, their system already has a corresponding software available, with a number or per-populated menu, which is then injected into the related modules, via programming. That guides how the intended part is meant to operate and keeps within all regulations and restrictions, for that specific region, if any. *see below*

A franchise dealer doesn't pull out their iPhone X with that cracked screen, order a OBD2 dongle from Amazon, download the APP, pay $30 Bimmercode, then make individuals lines of coding changes to their customer's cars, to their heart desires.

Their systems are way more comprehensive and regulated, in how and what encoding chances can be made to a customer's vehicle and how it's injected.

What us end-users accomplishes with Bimmercode, is sort of piggybacking into that aforementioned vehicle current software to generate a said result, a franchise dealer system doesn't work like that, they writes and injects their own commands and encoding parameters, via programming..

A dealer, can't and won't make changes as Bimmercode because their system doesn't allow FDL coding, they can only make encoding changes that's tied to a retrofit, repair, recall, etc and making any such chances as what done with Bimmercode would violate so many regulations that already is put in place, which it's only bridled by software encoding blocks.

Now, if you are telling me a dealer tech, off the books, is doing you a solid and using his Bimmercode APP or pirated version of eSyS to do some coding to your vehicle, then yes, that sounds very much plausible but I sincerely doubt any official dealer, worth his salt, is going to make any Bimmercode-like changing and officially invoice it.


.
I get what you're saying Pooch, but the scenario you mentioned is exactly what they do. It's off the books. So, with respect to what you wrote, you are correct. They had/have a tech that would perform this service off the books. Now I see where you were coming from with your posts.

I guess the point I was making was that my dealer has no problem with these changes being made by either the owner of the vehicle or the tech providing the service. They give it their blessing so to speak. And they are a big dealer here in my area.
Appreciate 1
Poochie5724.50

      10-30-2020, 09:14 AM   #39
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
Poochie's Avatar
United_States
5725
Rep
6,043
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The dealer is going to help you with your warranty concerns, after you admitted to tamper with the vehicle's software..

Yea, that sounds about right and how a franchise dealer rolls; they just live and breath to correct to customer's mistakes, all gratis, courtesy of BMW..

Look, I didn't exactly mean to imply that you where being untruthful, maybe more misguided and regret going down this rabbit hole but just for reference, my point, without coming off snooty, merely was that an official dealer doesn't doesn't do what's called FDL coding, as which is done with the Bimmercode APP, simple because they can't possible make lines of coding changes, such as for example; auto/comfort mirror folding or the rear fog light activation mods.

When an official dealer replaces a part which requires new encoding, their system already has a corresponding software available, with a number or per-populated menu, which is then injected into the related modules, via programming. That guides how the intended part is meant to operate and keeps within all regulations and restrictions, for that specific region, if any. *see below*

A franchise dealer doesn't pull out their iPhone X with that cracked screen, order a OBD2 dongle from Amazon, download the APP, pay $30 Bimmercode, then make individuals lines of coding changes to their customer's cars, to their heart desires.

Their systems are way more comprehensive and regulated, in how and what encoding chances can be made to a customer's vehicle and how it's injected.

What us end-users accomplishes with Bimmercode, is sort of piggybacking into that aforementioned vehicle current software to generate a said result, a franchise dealer system doesn't work like that, they writes and injects their own commands and encoding parameters, via programming..

A dealer, can't and won't make changes as Bimmercode because their system doesn't allow FDL coding, they can only make encoding changes that's tied to a retrofit, repair, recall, etc and making any such chances as what done with Bimmercode would violate so many regulations that already is put in place, which it's only bridled by software encoding blocks.

Now, if you are telling me a dealer tech, off the books, is doing you a solid and using his Bimmercode APP or pirated version of eSyS to do some coding to your vehicle, then yes, that sounds very much plausible but I sincerely doubt any official dealer, worth his salt, is going to make any Bimmercode-like changing and officially invoice it.


.
I get what you're saying Pooch, but the scenario you mentioned is exactly what they do. It's off the books. So, with respect to what you wrote, you are correct. They had/have a tech that would perform this service off the books. Now I see where you were coming from with your posts.

I guess the point I was making was that my dealer has no problem with these changes being made by either the owner of the vehicle or the tech providing the service. They give it their blessing so to speak. And they are a big dealer here in my area.
I got you and I'm sorry I busted you balls over semantics, I sincerely hope it works out for you and please share any new information you might come across, with regards to FDL coding, with the rest of the class.. 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #40
jordantii
First Lieutenant
66
Rep
307
Posts

Drives: M2 Sea
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tampa Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I got you and I'm sorry I busted you balls over semantics, I sincerely hope it works out for you and please share any new information you might come across, with regards to FDL coding, with the rest of the class.. 👍🏻
No worries Pooch. Sorry I busted your balls as well.
Appreciate 1
Poochie5724.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST