BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > JB4 for M2C?

08-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #1
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

JB4 for M2C?

Has anyone used a JB4 from a S55 M3/M4 on a M2C? The burger website shows that the M2C is compatable with the JB4 but I haven't read about anyone's experience actually using it.

I know BM3 etc. is ideal but some of us have DME locked cars and don't want to deal with pulling and bench flashing. I've had good success with JB4 on the S55 platform in the past.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 10:17 AM   #2
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

The hardware is identical, the software is different. If you are buying the M3/4 one second hand, just email BMS asking for the M2C file and they will send it to you. You upload it to the device per the instructions on the other forum. Then plug and play.

Just an FYI (and I'm 100% sure you know this) but BMW will be able to tell your car is tuned even if you remove it. Since your taking that much risk already, might as well do it right. Just my 2 cents, but understood that you aren't comfortable removing the DME.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 04:34 PM   #3
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
The hardware is identical, the software is different. If you are buying the M3/4 one second hand, just email BMS asking for the M2C file and they will send it to you. You upload it to the device per the instructions on the other forum. Then plug and play.

Just an FYI (and I'm 100% sure you know this) but BMW will be able to tell your car is tuned even if you remove it. Since your taking that much risk already, might as well do it right. Just my 2 cents, but understood that you aren't comfortable removing the DME.
Thanks I read the other thread that BMW auto flags cars with boost tables changed. I already have a JB4 as well so part of the reason I was thinking about it.
Appreciate 3
      09-04-2020, 08:58 PM   #4
Rod 69
Enlisted Member
Colombia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M 2012.

Garage List
2021 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2012 1M  [9.50]
So final the recommendation is to stay stock? I ask because just received my M2C and was planning on VRSF down pipe + Jb4.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 10:09 AM   #5
Rod 69
Enlisted Member
Colombia
Rep

Garage List
2012 1M  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Thanks I read the other thread that BMW auto flags cars with boost tables changed. I already have a JB4 as well so part of the reason I was thinking about it.
Has the Jb4 turned on any warnings on your car? Planning on installing VRSF dp + Jb4 on my 2021 M2C, what is your recommendation?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 04:31 PM   #6
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod 69 View Post
Has the Jb4 turned on any warnings on your car? Planning on installing VRSF dp + Jb4 on my 2021 M2C, what is your recommendation?
Did not install the JB4 on my M2, probably will leave it stock or BM3. Too lazy to do the hardware install.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 10:03 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod 69 View Post
The Jb4 does not trigger any warning light, the downpipe does

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 11:33 PM   #8
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Mike is right as always.

Bump
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 09:33 PM   #9
Rod 69
Enlisted Member
Colombia
Rep

Garage List
2012 1M  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
The Jb4 does not trigger any warning light, the downpipe does
Does the Jb4 alone makes any change? How many hp?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 07:56 PM   #10
daap1193
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2C sunset orange

I have the Jb4 in my M2C, the power increase is notable, in map 1 boost goes about 4 psi above stock leves, the App is really nice and user friendly and the set up don't trigger any tampering code yet. If you want to change between maps it's posible to do it on the go, Terry from burger tuning is always there to help you with any question or problem. If you have any extra question send me a PM will help you.
Appreciate 1
m2css1.50
      09-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by daap1193 View Post
I have the Jb4 in my M2C, the power increase is notable, in map 1 boost goes about 4 psi above stock leves, the App is really nice and user friendly and the set up don't trigger any tampering code yet. If you want to change between maps it's posible to do it on the go, Terry from burger tuning is always there to help you with any question or problem. If you have any extra question send me a PM will help you.
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 07:10 AM   #12
rayjoedef
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

I have JB4 and catted ARM dp....huge change. I went with JB4 (for now) because my local dealer stated if I have engine issues, they can better get around a piggy back as opposed to bench flash.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #13
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjoedef View Post
I have JB4 and catted ARM dp....huge change. I went with JB4 (for now) because my local dealer stated if I have engine issues, they can better get around a piggy back as opposed to bench flash.
Your dealer is, like most, giving you incorrect information. They can't "better get around it". If there is an issue they can dump the DME data and see you tuned it. When you go in for service they now have to conduct a scan and will see it is tuned and have to flag it (or risk breaching their agreement with BMW). Don't want to deflate your dreams but give you the reality of the situation.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #14
rayjoedef
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Yeah, no dreams here and not my first rodeo....bought 10 cars from them. Rest assured, they will make it happen and piggyback makes it easier
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:22 PM   #15
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjoedef View Post
Yeah, no dreams here and not my first rodeo....bought 10 cars from them. Rest assured, they will make it happen and piggyback makes it easier
I wish you the best. But with a $25k engine replacement cost, if something goes wrong your relationship likely won't mean squat to them. That kind of failure requires dumping the data which will flag the piggyback immediately. BMWNA won't cover the warranty claim and your dealer now needs to decide if they like you enough to eat that cost, good luck with that, as I've never heard of any dealer ever that likes their customers that much that would overlook a tune when that amount of money is at stake. A busted charge pipe or a cracked intake, maybe, but anything more substantial, I doubt it.

If I were you I would have gone with a warrantied tune, but seems like that ship has sailed.

I hope I'm 100% wrong, but experience and the many cases of dealers not giving a shit about loyal customers with tuned cars (including JB4 specifically) on this very site makes me think otherwise.

At the end of the day, it's your wallet and you pay to play. I'm not trying to convince you of anything as much as put this info out for others who are under the impression a JB4 and some handshaking means they will get around voiding their warranty. Enjoy your car.

If you think a JB4 is any different than a flash in terms of detection, I would read this thread among many others:

PSA: new ISTA will automatically flag the car that makes any boost more than factory https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1746443
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      10-25-2020, 08:52 AM   #16
M2cLee
Rep
Drives: M2 competition

Quote:
I wish you the best. But with a $25k engine replacement cost, if something goes wrong your relationship likely won't mean squat to them. That kind of failure requires dumping the data which will flag the piggyback immediately. BMWNA won't cover the warranty claim and your dealer now needs to decide if they like you enough to eat that cost, good luck with that, as I've never heard of any dealer ever that likes their customers that much that would overlook a tune when that amount of money is at stake. A busted charge pipe or a cracked intake, maybe, but anything more substantial, I doubt it.

If I were you I would have gone with a warrantied tune, but seems like that ship has sailed.

I hope I'm 100% wrong, but experience and the many cases of dealers not giving a shit about loyal customers with tuned cars (including JB4 specifically) on this very site makes me think otherwise.

At the end of the day, it's your wallet and you pay to play. I'm not trying to convince you of anything as much as put this info out for others who are under the impression a JB4 and some handshaking means they will get around voiding their warranty. Enjoy your car.

If you think a JB4 is any different than a flash in terms of detection, I would read this thread among many others:

PSA: new ISTA will automatically flag the car that makes any boost more than factory https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1746443
I came here for the same information as the op. But i feel the scout is giving a bit too much confidence in bmw ability to detect tuning boxes.

All modern turbo bmws have variable boost targets. They will change the boost made depending many factors, fuel, intake temps etc etc this is how they make consistent power so the ecu saying it once made 20psi is irrelevant.
Jb4 boost is not logged on the car ecu.
I have personally had a new gearbox due to debris smashing the sump,
A full engine rebuild due to cam shaft bolts failing and both repairs and all associated coding carried out by bmw and not one single mention of being tuned.
Both while jb4 had been on the car for 3 years straight.

I also know people who have had crank hubs fixed and gearboxes replaced who had been running tuning boxes and never detected.

The one time bmw told me my car had been remapped was because they detected my auto start stop was set to off. I gave them permission to code over it and not another word was said.

Worst case scenario and warranty isnt upheld, you take your car somewhere else, fix it, and map it with bm3 anyway and your no worse off than if you bm3 from the beginning.

More importantly who is running a tuning box and how have they got on with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #17
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2cLee View Post
Quote:

I came here for the same information as the op. But i feel the scout is giving a bit too much confidence in bmw ability to detect tuning boxes.

All modern turbo bmws have variable boost targets. They will change the boost made depending many factors, fuel, intake temps etc etc this is how they make consistent power so the ecu saying it once made 20psi is irrelevant.
Jb4 boost is not logged on the car ecu.
I have personally had a new gearbox due to debris smashing the sump,
A full engine rebuild due to cam shaft bolts failing and both repairs and all associated coding carried out by bmw and not one single mention of being tuned.
Both while jb4 had been on the car for 3 years straight.

I also know people who have had crank hubs fixed and gearboxes replaced who had been running tuning boxes and never detected.

The one time bmw told me my car had been remapped was because they detected my auto start stop was set to off. I gave them permission to code over it and not another word was said.

Worst case scenario and warranty isnt upheld, you take your car somewhere else, fix it, and map it with bm3 anyway and your no worse off than if you bm3 from the beginning.

More importantly who is running a tuning box and how have they got on with it.
Key things to note about this post:

1. He is in the UK and not in the US, do warranty claims absolutely work differently.

2. How long ago was that? Because with FlexRay tech on the cars built in the last 3-4 years, they will absolutely detect the tune, whether piggy back or not.

You don't have to believe, but let's just say I have intimate knowledge of this having negotiated deals for DME supply from Bosch on behalf of OEMs.

Also, it's because in SoCal alone I have seen 3 guys from our local chapter get warranty claim denied for a JB4 even after removing it and taking it in.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 02:06 PM   #18
M2cLee
Rep
Drives: M2 competition

Quote:

1. He is in the UK and not in the US, do warranty claims absolutely work differently.

2. How long ago was that? Because with FlexRay tech on the cars built in the last 3-4 years, they will absolutely detect the tune, whether piggy back or not.

You don't have to believe, but let's just say I have intimate knowledge of this having negotiated deals for DME supply from Bosch on behalf of OEMs.

Also, it's because in SoCal alone I have seen 3 guys from our local chapter get warranty claim denied for a JB4 even after removing it and taking it in.
Yes you are correct i am in the Uk so claims may work differently sure.
They definitely have a new system here which detects when tampering has occurred including coding etc as i mentioned with stop start.

My car was a 2017 m140 so b58 engine and both repairs were in the last 18 months. M4s mentioned im not sure they have private plates. But both are lci.

Either way if the tune directly breaks something i wouldn't expect to have it covered, but it is a cop out to blame tunes for absolutely everything.
If a tuning box was identified and warranty void then so be it, i will just switch to bm3 at that point.

Warranty woes aside, both myself and the op are looking for peoples opinions on use of tuning boxes not the possible if and maybe consequences.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      10-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #19
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2cLee View Post
Quote:

Yes you are correct i am in the Uk so claims may work differently sure.
They definitely have a new system here which detects when tampering has occurred including coding etc as i mentioned with stop start.

My car was a 2017 m140 so b58 engine and both repairs were in the last 18 months. M4s mentioned im not sure they have private plates. But both are lci.

Either way if the tune directly breaks something i wouldn't expect to have it covered, but it is a cop out to blame tunes for absolutely everything.
If a tuning box was identified and warranty void then so be it, i will just switch to bm3 at that point.

Warranty woes aside, both myself and the op are looking for peoples opinions on use of tuning boxes not the possible if and maybe consequences.
And if you read my original response to his question, I said that if you are going to tune, do it right and get a flash as either way a piggy back or a flash will be detected. A piggy back while sometimes can be cheaper, is not as good of a tune as a full flash - that's just a fact from an engineering perspective.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #20
daap1193
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2C sunset orange

About warranty

Some months ago my car have some issues with brakes due to rotor wrap, interior plastics broken, turn signals constantly failing and a coolant leak, so I decide to take it to the dealer and ask for warranty, they denied all my claims, brakes weren't cover due to "overheating", my other claims were ignored, when I ask my SA he didnt bother creating and excuse he just denied all my claims with no reason.

So if you are worried about warranty don't bother that much even if stock BMW have the perfect excuse not cover you in every claim, better enjoy.

I removed the JB4 before taking it to the dealer and after all my claims were denied I asked the service general manager if my engine and in general my car was cover with the vehicle warranty, they keep my car for one extra day look at everything and his answer was that they couldn't find anything that proves my warranty was void. But for sure if my engine fails they will create a new excuse.

Now I have a bill for new rotors, radiator hose, passenger seat belt cover, and turn signal ground fix. , the money I have for my exhaust upgrade. :
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 07:34 AM   #21
M2C_OZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Dont do JB4, get a custom tune from either BM3 or MHD
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 03:55 PM   #22
Dino355
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 SB BMW M2 Competition

Does anyone know if the JB4 is ok to use with an OPF Euro spec car?
Appreciate 0