BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Anyone regret getting coilovers?

09-14-2020, 04:26 PM   #23
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiss'er View Post
Looking to pickup some TC Kline single/doubles
with camber plates. I will track the car 4-5 times a year and then do some fun Canyon carving with friends. I don't drive the car much for commuting, but will take it out once or twice a weekend when I need to get somewhere.

I just got back from a 1000 mile road trip in which I hit some of the best mountain roads on the southwest. The car was great stock. Quiet, controlled, and comfortable. This trip has me thinking if coilovers will make an appreciable difference.

I plan to get new Turner Racing control arms, run about -2.25 camber and lower the car 15-20mm. I will also get the car corner balanced with a track'ish alignment. I am burning through tires at the track due to the lack of camber.

There are times I look at the car and think the stance is fine. Other times I look at it and think it looks like a lifted truck and needs to be lowered.

What are your thoughts? Did you regret investing in coilovers?

Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:49 AM   #24
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Competition View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
The more I read about M Perfomance Coilovers, the more I am getting prepared to buy those.
I have the M Performance Coilovers and I am very happy with them both on the street and track.
👆 Ditto for my OG M2 cw MPerf coilovers (+ oem 513m 18" 245/265 MPSS/AD08RS + oem camber correction hubs running -2.25deg up front).

Initial expense aside, zero regrets and only upsides IMHO
Attached Images

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
M2_Matt14.00
      09-15-2020, 09:42 AM   #25
SIE_M2
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Couldn’t have put it better myself!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 01:59 AM   #26
Gusman1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the hammer View Post
Loving my tc Kline set up. I went with His softer spring set he offers due to being a daily driver. Drop makes the car look perfect. I have a lot of front camber and 12mm spacers in front, looks amazing with 265/35 and 285/35 rears in stock rims. I have yet to track or autocross due to Covid. But will try autocross next weekend with tc klines recommended damping set up. His set up instructions are good for initial height and he gives a couple of suggested damping settings for street and track. I plan on dropping my tire size on my next set of rubber back to 255 and 275 just to get a bit better turn in and ride quality for daily driving. I might need to add more spacer to keep a flush look.
I have no regrets going with tc Kline at all.
And my next m2, will get a set from new instead of waiting so long.
You have any pictures of how your car is sitting? How much camber you running?
Just ordered coilovers and trying to decide if I want to go up to 265/285-35 and figure what size spacer to run depending on the tire size I select.
      09-19-2020, 06:57 PM   #27
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

No regrets at all... In fact the opposite. It was the must-have, first mod for me and I love it.

I have:
-stock 788 wheels (I will eventually get the black 763m)
-stock tires (for now)
-10mm spacers all around
-BMW recommended height MPC

Apart from better performance characteristics, the car just looks so much nicer with this drop.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 07:12 PM   #28
BLUE-BEAST///M2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

No regrets with TCKline SA/DA setup. I love it! Car should have came like this from the factory!
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #29
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
No regrets at all... In fact the opposite. It was the must-have, first mod for me and I love it.

I have:
-stock 788 wheels (I will eventually get the black 763m)
-stock tires (for now)
-10mm spacers all around
-BMW recommended height MPC

Apart from better performance characteristics, the car just looks so much nicer with this drop.
Can you post some photos?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:50 AM   #30
M2_Matt
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Absolutely no regrets here. I originally lowered my car with the KW HAS and paired it with Ground Control camber plates. The car felt good but it wasn't great in my honest opinion. It felt so bouncy and became unpredictable on bumpy canyon roads. Recently I made the switch to KW V3, have it 4 settings stiffer all around, and man does it feel fantastic. First set of coilovers I ever bought and I wish I did it sooner.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 02:22 AM   #31
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2_Matt View Post
Absolutely no regrets here. I originally lowered my car with the KW HAS and paired it with Ground Control camber plates. The car felt good but it wasn't great in my honest opinion. It felt so bouncy and became unpredictable on bumpy canyon roads. Recently I made the switch to KW V3, have it 4 settings stiffer all around, and man does it feel fantastic. First set of coilovers I ever bought and I wish I did it sooner.
KW baseline setup is 6 Compression and 9 Rebound.

Are you saying you are running 2/5?

If so, that's a LOT of compression damping on anything other than a super smooth racetrack.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 06:35 PM   #32
M2_Matt
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2_Matt View Post
KW baseline setup is 6 Compression and 9 Rebound.

Are you saying you are running 2/5?

If so, that's a LOT of compression damping on anything other than a super smooth racetrack.
I don't know more of the specifics to be honest. I had a shop adjust and dial in the suspension for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #33
trackit
Private
Rep
Drives: Wagon

TCK all the way!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 08:54 AM   #34
saint3448
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Sunset Orange M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDrover View Post
I never intended to get coilovers for the M2C, but after driving the car for a month I felt the stock suspension was over dampened for street driving, but had just an OK feeling on a track.

I went with Ohlin R&T and the difference is incredible. The ride feels plush on the street settings (but some of this could be canceled out by what wheel/tire combo you choose), but the lack of body roll, turn in and ability to blast curbs on the track is awesome on the track settings. I went with camber plates as well and a square stance and the tire savings is real. The only real negative for me is that the noise in the cabin is quite loud due to metal on metal. I don't think i could live with this if i commuted in the car daily quite honestly, but luckily my M2C is basically a weekend/track car.
Did you need camber plates/spacers to fit the EC-7s? I've got Ohlins R&T with stock wheels/tires and had a bit of rubbing on front wheel well.

What size tires you go with?
Appreciate 0