BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein B6 with Eibach springs

08-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
KevM3UK
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Bilstein B6 with Eibach springs

Bought these the other week 2nd hand ,Bilstein B6 shocks and Eibach springs,I fitted them two weeks ago, over that time I've been conduting various testing on various roads, I have to say i'm rather impressed, I now have more suspension travel with a lovely compliant ride ,this is due to the shocks, now the car just glides over bumps etc without wanting to spit you off the road! turn in is nice and sharp now but a bit more understeer than I'd like on a testing roundabout that I use as a benchmark.
Took it up the Beacons last week and it was truly amazing including the B4358 to Beulah ,now this is a testing road its like a rollercoaster and will challenge any car, I have to say it coped admirably. I'm loving these shocks on this car, should of left the factory with them!

I removed the inserts out of the front shocks to trim the bumpstops by around 15mm to give back some suspension travel due to the lowering springs

standard length bumpstop

trimmed

Fitted

How it sits now

Up the Beacons

Misty Mountain Hop!
Appreciate 2
Karmic Man1996.00
fleetfoot120.00
      08-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #2
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

nice. TBF though my car doesn't have that scary i'm gonna put you in a ditch feel and even then I think that was all over played though certainly was exciting!

The CF brace retrofit has got me an M2C chassis, we all know how well received that has been
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
KevM3UK
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
nice. TBF though my car doesn't have that scary i'm gonna put you in a ditch feel and even then I think that was all over played though certainly was exciting!

The CF brace retrofit has got me an M2C chassis, we all know how well received that has been
Ah I had H&R springs on prior to this set up , they were quite low so sometimes you could bottom out, I might try the B6s with oem springs one day
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 04:58 PM   #4
Matt Devo
Recovering RS4 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
what are your measurements from bottom of wheel lip to top of fender? Curious how this drop compares to the MP coilovers recommended drop (595 mm F, 600 mm R)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #5
ronin1k
Rep
Drives: M2

that's a gold, thanks for sharing op, I have been searching for reviews to try this combo on f87 platform which was goto choice in e46 m3 community, it doesn't seem to sit significantly lower than stock which is kinda expected with bilstein due to higher gas pressure struts, wondering why did you choose to trim the bump stops? has the handling been improved?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #6
KevM3UK
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin1k View Post
that's a gold, thanks for sharing op, I have been searching for reviews to try this combo on f87 platform which was goto choice in e46 m3 community, it doesn't seem to sit significantly lower than stock which is kinda expected with bilstein due to higher gas pressure struts, wondering why did you choose to trim the bump stops? has the handling been improved?
I trimmed the rear bumpstops prior to installing this set up because I had H&R springs on before and they bottomed out on the rear as theyre very low, so to give back a bit more damper travel I trimmed the bumpstops approx 15mm , then before I installed the B6's I thought I do the same, so yeah theres some challenging uneven roads here in South Wales and im impressed with it
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 09:48 PM   #7
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Great review...I am going to try this setup

Which version of Eibach springs did you go with? I like the current height of your car, a mild drop and not low enough to scrape every where
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 10:20 AM   #8
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Tried and true combo. Seriously considering this. Actually, no; I WILL do this, just not sure when. Thanks for your feedback. A few questions:

Is your ride height OEM?

I've read that the Bilstein shocks actually raise the car a little, due to the way the spring sits on the shock. So, for example, if you used OEM springs, the car would sit a little bit higher. With the Eibach Pro Kit, does it lower it back to about OEM height?

Also, would you have trimmed the bump stops if you didn't have H&R's beforehand?

One more thing: How was the understeer compared to OEM?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #9
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Thanks for the review. First time I'm seeing these installed, good to know they work well even on British country lanes.
      08-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #10
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Is your ride height OEM?

I've read that the Bilstein shocks actually raise the car a little, due to the way the spring sits on the shock. So, for example, if you used OEM springs, the car would sit a little bit higher. With the Eibach Pro Kit, does it lower it back to about OEM height?
He literally said in the OP he's had Eibach springs installed as well.
      08-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #11
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Not sure I understand your point. I never stated he had OEM springs + B6's installed. I was merely giving that situation as a 'for example'.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      08-24-2020, 12:36 PM   #12
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure I understand your point. I never stated he had OEM springs + B6's installed. I was merely giving that situation as a 'for example'.
Ah, my bad.

Yeah, it's true Bilstein shocks raise the car a bit due to their design. Happened on my E91 and B12 Prokit, even with the Prokit springs, the ride height was raised.

I think you could compare photos of cars with Pro Kit springs only and OP's car to get an idea.
      08-24-2020, 12:42 PM   #13
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah, my bad.

Yeah, it's true Bilstein shocks raise the car a bit due to their design. Happened on my E91 and B12 Prokit, even with the Prokit springs, the ride height was raised.
Thanks for confirming about the Billys. I've heard people suggest going B8 + Eibach if you want to lower the car a bit. I want to keep OEM ride height, so B6 + Eibach seemed perfect. Was your pro-kit with B6's? -- Nevermind. Just saw some of your comments on the 1-er forums. Interesting...

Last edited by RocketBoots; 08-24-2020 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #14
SIE_M2
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

At present there are no b8 dampers (which are essentially the same as b6’s but shorter) for the m2.
The b6 and eibach combination does lower the car more than the stock suspension. The eibach are significantly shorter than the OEM springs.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #15
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for confirming about the Billys. I've heard people suggest going B8 + Eibach if you want to lower the car a bit. I want to keep OEM ride height, so B6 + Eibach seemed perfect. Was your pro-kit with B6's? -- Nevermind. Just saw some of your comments on the 1-er forums. Interesting...
What's interesting? I have not visited 1Addicts in a long time nor do I remember what I've said.

B12 Pro-kit was on the E90, which, as per usual, consisted of B8 dampers and Eibach Pro-Kit springs. I have KW V3s on the E82. F80 is stock... for now.

Bilstein lists only B6 for our cars, both passive and adaptive (Damptronic). There are a few M3/4 owners running B6 Damptronics over on F80Post.

Interestingly enough, I just checked the German Eibach & Bilstein parts catalogues and look what I've found: Eibach & Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit and Damptronic. I am not able to find what the kit actually consists of and there is no pricing. The type approval document is only for Pro-Kit springs, though. This unit seems to be only for the M3 and M4 as of now.

I believe the B12 kits are usually just a bundle of B8 dampers and Pro-Kit springs, nothing custom as has been rumoured, but if this F8x Eibach kit is real, then either they have developed new B8 dampers, or it consists of the existing B6 dampers.

Here is an F87 on Eibach springs only. Can see there is deffo a difference in ride height.
Attached Images

Last edited by swagon; 08-24-2020 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #16
KevM3UK
Private
Rep

Just to clarify, Im running Eibach pro springs and yes they have lowered the car! Because I bought the B6s used they've had chance to "settle" ,straight out of the box brand new then yes they would raise the front slightly until they settle down after 500-1000 miles .
Yes I trimmed the bumpstops when I originally installed Eibachs before I tried H&R springs , allthough with oem dampers ,all four were trimmed as the rear's bottom out on H&Rs due to being "too" low, you use the oem rear bumpstop with the B6s mind. I did find H&Rs bottoming out on some challenging corners and the car wanted to bounce sideways across the road ,eibachs are far better in this respect.
I would recommend trimming the bumpstops as it gives back lost damper travel due to lowering, on the understeer front its fine except for my benchmark roundabout (traffic rotary as you call them you call them when I did a trip around 6 states of New England) which I take in 3rd gear (manual) and at 40-45mph under acceleration the front begins to push wide ,earlier than oem springs or the H&Rs but you can dial it out on the throttle , thats my only gripe , the rest of my testing I've been impressed and I recommend them ,nice sharp front end with reasonably smooth ride, win win, they're great!

Here's OEM springs ,from when I first bought the car

Eibachs with OEM dampers

H&R springs with OEM dampers

Eibachs with Bilstein B6's

Last edited by KevM3UK; 08-25-2020 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 4
Karmic Man1996.00
swagon13511.00
      08-26-2020, 12:21 PM   #17
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM3UK View Post
Just to clarify, Im running Eibach pro springs and yes they have lowered the car! Because I bought the B6s used they've had chance to "settle" ,straight out of the box brand new then yes they would raise the front slightly until they settle down after 500-1000 miles .
Yes I trimmed the bumpstops when I originally installed Eibachs before I tried H&R springs , allthough with oem dampers ,all four were trimmed as the rear's bottom out on H&Rs due to being "too" low, you use the oem rear bumpstop with the B6s mind. I did find H&Rs bottoming out on some challenging corners and the car wanted to bounce sideways across the road ,eibachs are far better in this respect.
I would recommend trimming the bumpstops as it gives back lost damper travel due to lowering, on the understeer front its fine except for my benchmark roundabout (traffic rotary as you call them you call them when I did a trip around 6 states of New England) which I take in 3rd gear (manual) and at 40-45mph under acceleration the front begins to push wide ,earlier than oem springs or the H&Rs but you can dial it out on the throttle , thats my only gripe , the rest of my testing I've been impressed and I recommend them ,nice sharp front end with reasonably smooth ride, win win, they're great!

Great info, thanks. I'll ask you about their longevity next year. I am thinking about these as I have not got EDC on the F80 either. My main gripe is the ride comfort round town, it is just very bumpy and honestly, kinda annoying, even on 18's.
      08-27-2020, 06:13 AM   #18
KevM3UK
Private
Rep

Ride comfort round town is great, ok its not 7 series league but it's far better than oem
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 07:47 PM   #19
palja04
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 - 19 M2 Comp(US Version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM3UK View Post

Eibachs with OEM dampers

H&R springs with OEM dampers

Eibachs with Bilstein B6's

I am little bit confused around your statement that you have bottomed out when you had H&R springs on your OEM struts/shock because it sits lower.
H&R spring lowers (.8"(F), .8"(R)) vs. Eibach spring lowers (1.0"(F), .8"(R))
In common sense, Eibach setup should be lower than H&R setup, so you should still experiencing bottoming out all the way to bump stop more often with Eibach springs. if you are not experiencing to hit bumpstop anymore, one possible factor could be B6 you have installed along with springs. Since it bring stiffer compression, it will resist from bottoming out at similar extreme condition you have bottomed out with OEM struts/shocks.

The backgroud I am coming from is I have 2019 M2C and have H&R springs with OEM struts/shocks. I compete in SCCA time trials, and experiencing the car getting to a bumpstop on front often at extreme braking(course/section dependent). I will have to comply with SCCA time trials rules to stay in Sports class, so only options I have around structs/shocks are either Bilstein B6(~$900) or MCS single adjustable(~$6000). Obviously using Bilstein is the option i am evaluating, but wanted clear out some question and assumptions around B6 use with lowering springs. For some reason, it is little difficualt to find the spring rates on H&R sports lowering spring vs. Eibach Pro Kit lowering spring.
If you have spring rate info you could share, that will be great!

Thank you!

Last edited by palja04; 10-06-2020 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 09:28 PM   #20
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

Why not going with swift springs for the f82 m4, they fit on f87 m2

With the bilstein b6, i think it's the best spring/ shock combo
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #21
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicatango View Post
Why not going with swift springs for the f82 m4, they fit on f87 m2

With the bilstein b6, i think it's the best spring/ shock combo
OP is in the UK so cost and swift availability may be a factor.

I'd argue that KW linear rate (race) springs are just as good if not better than swift if going the linear spring route. Can select your spring length/rate and cheaper cost in EU/UK versus swift. With that said I used swift on my F80 and they were good.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:28 AM   #22
Steveng01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 120i

I was wondering if you would still bottom out the B6 with Eibach if you did not trim the bumpstops. How easy was to tear down the strut case?
Appreciate 0