BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > SEC: BMW to pay $18M penalty for inflating monthly sales figure

09-28-2020, 02:27 AM   #23
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
See also for example BMW Australia last Spring: here ("BMW Australia Registered Hundreds Of Demo Cars To Inflate Sales: Report") and here ("BMW bargains coming after hundreds of demo models get registered").

Lots of car companies inflate sales figures that way. Unhealthy, because making life even more difficult the subsequent year. In life there are good days and bad days, evolving with ups and downs, progress and setbacks. It's a flawed, unnatural reasoning to expect growth each year. Way too many variables as life and society moves on day after day, offering new challenges and opportunities.
Unethical is unethical IMO
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 02:38 AM   #24
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Consideration of potential SEC issues may've just been overlooked in the "effort to publicly maintain a leading position relative to other premium automotive companies".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
See also for example BMW Australia last Spring: here ("BMW Australia Registered Hundreds Of Demo Cars To Inflate Sales: Report") and here ("BMW bargains coming after hundreds of demo models get registered").

Lots of car companies inflate sales figures that way. Unhealthy, because making life even more difficult the subsequent year. In life there are good days and bad days, evolving with ups and downs, progress and setbacks. It's a flawed, unnatural reasoning to expect growth each year. Way too many variables as life and society moves on day after day, offering new challenges and opportunities.
Business practice understood. The Order recites settlement "without admitting or denying the findings herein". (P 1) "A violation ... does not require scienter ...".(P 10) I choose to believe BMW did not knowingly and intentionally violate the involved SEC regulations.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 02:38 AM   #25
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
The violating companies BMW AG, BMW NA and BMW US Capital agreed to pay a joint penalty of $18M.

• With inflated numbers, the company raised approximately $18B from investors in several corporate bond offerings.
So then, in conclusion, the penalty for cheating is approximately 1/1000th of the resulting income. Got it.

Such a great incentive
Appreciate 0