BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > The Topic That Answers All M2C(S) Exhaust Questions

09-23-2020, 03:09 AM   #89
CJ41BIG
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
Can you please make a video with the sound of Akra slip on?

I was about to order Akra but before doing so I came to hear Akra on my friend's car in person and didn't like the sound. But my feeling is that maybe it had some defect and that was the reason of poor sound.

Here is the M2C (HS) with Akra and my M2C (LBB) with OEM exhaust

I didnt like the Akra sound in person on this particular car. It sounded louder but it sounded as if something is wrong with the sound. There was some strange sound in person as if some metal parts are broken.
And having heard that car in person I cancelled my order for Akra. The guy told me that he had some problems with the valveson his Akra

And later on I met the guy with M2C with Akra slipon + midpipe amd the sound was amazing.
You have PM

A saw in youtube the Scorpion gpf/opf back system, sound amazing imo

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 06:36 AM   #90
CJ41BIG
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: M2C

I'm back with question:

On EU car with opf/gpf and akrapovic slip on, can I replace the resonator with x pipe, h pipe or straight pipes to have louder sound, without cel/limp mod?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 10:03 AM   #91
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Thanks for this helpful writeup. Without the OPF it sounds like the problem will still be downpipes. On my OG M2 this was a major upgrade even without tune. I will still do this first. The only thing I don't like about the stock muffler is how it looks.

Last edited by stefan; 03-06-2021 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 08:29 AM   #92
M2C Rado
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Hi all,

I've been doing a lot of research in the past few months on how to deal with the OPF. I'm still not clear on a few topics and namely the issues arising from deleting the OPFs... Does anyone have answers/opinions on the below:
  • Would it be possible to simply load the NA-spec (or non-EU) ECU tune, instead of going through a full-on tune? This may sound retarded, but my point is - that's technically still an OEM ECU mapping, so it shouldn't have an impact on the warranty, no? I'm trying to get a BMW dealer to do this... I'll let you know what they say, but wanted to check if someone here has done something like this.
  • Are the engine modes (Efficient/Sport/Sport+) related to different ECU maps? My idea is to have and easily be able to change between multiple maps loaded in the ECU. For example, I'd want to have an "Efficient" map where the engine is running on low power, making it easy to pass the emissions checks? (Any VW software engineers here? ) Another ECU map would be for normal road use, say something similar to Sport, and finally a Sport+ map for the Nuerburgring.
  • Which muffler system makes use of the stock valve control unit/cabling? I don't care much for being able to control the valves though the buttons on the steering wheel. I'm fine using the engine mode button.

I suppose there are a few issues here in the EU with deleting the OPF:
1. Risk of getting errors on the dash / car going into limp mode.
2. Passing inspection. I've been told here in Germany they still don't check exhaust gases, and I've heard of people with the AA midpipe passing easily with a warm engine.
3. Risk of losing your warranty if you tune the ECU.

Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 05:49 PM   #93
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I am in the market for an exhaust setup that won't require a tune. I previously had the OG M2 with only a fab speed sport cat and wished it was a tad louder. Would the Remus Sport + AA mid pipe be what I am looking for? I'm not looking for obnoxious loud but a little louder than the previous setup I mentioned before.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 10:33 PM   #94
lukeM2Coz
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2Competition

Does anyone have experince with just a slip on system? How much does it usually cost?

Last edited by lukeM2Coz; 01-12-2022 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 10:53 PM   #95
Threnody
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C, 2018 VW Golf R

Garage List
2018 VW Golf R  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
I am in the market for an exhaust setup that won't require a tune. I previously had the OG M2 with only a fab speed sport cat and wished it was a tad louder. Would the Remus Sport + AA mid pipe be what I am looking for? I'm not looking for obnoxious loud but a little louder than the previous setup I mentioned before.
Adding anything past the downpipes should be fine as far as not requiring any tuning, so the midpipe and catback are fair game. I run the Remus Sport and the resonated AA EL Midpipe and I'm pretty happy with it as far as the amount of volume it added and the tone; it's definitely louder, but never feels excessive.

I will note that I wasn't really sure about my feelings on the sound at initial install; I felt like it may have removed some character from the car and had some issues with minor droning at 3200-3700 RPM, mostly in Sport, but now that everything has had time to settle and heat-cycle I've grown quite fond of it; no more droning, though that same RPM range is still probably the worst-sounding on this setup. Anything over that RPM range has been awesome ever since install, and I like the deeper tone on the low end.

Edit: Upon re-reading your comment I realized you didn't specify which AA mid-pipe. I will note that I actually didn't mind the stock sound too much and was strongly considering moving to the AA Single until I had some more time with the EL / it had time to settle.

Last edited by Threnody; 01-12-2022 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: Misinterpreted original reply.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 08:28 PM   #96
m2css
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E34 540i/6, M2CS, x3

Garage List
Bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C Rado View Post
Hi all,

I've been doing a lot of research in the past few months on how to deal with the OPF. I'm still not clear on a few topics and namely the issues arising from deleting the OPFs... Does anyone have answers/opinions on the below:
  • Would it be possible to simply load the NA-spec (or non-EU) ECU tune, instead of going through a full-on tune? This may sound retarded, but my point is - that's technically still an OEM ECU mapping, so it shouldn't have an impact on the warranty, no? I'm trying to get a BMW dealer to do this... I'll let you know what they say, but wanted to check if someone here has done something like this.
  • Are the engine modes (Efficient/Sport/Sport+) related to different ECU maps? My idea is to have and easily be able to change between multiple maps loaded in the ECU. For example, I'd want to have an "Efficient" map where the engine is running on low power, making it easy to pass the emissions checks? (Any VW software engineers here? ) Another ECU map would be for normal road use, say something similar to Sport, and finally a Sport+ map for the Nuerburgring.
  • Which muffler system makes use of the stock valve control unit/cabling? I don't care much for being able to control the valves though the buttons on the steering wheel. I'm fine using the engine mode button.

I suppose there are a few issues here in the EU with deleting the OPF:
1. Risk of getting errors on the dash / car going into limp mode.
2. Passing inspection. I've been told here in Germany they still don't check exhaust gases, and I've heard of people with the AA midpipe passing easily with a warm engine.
3. Risk of losing your warranty if you tune the ECU.

Am I missing something?
I've had the exact same thought about the american markets ECU map, and if a bmw dealership can simply make a european car run on that without the opfs and with warranty etc still intact. Did you have any success or progress with your thoughts? Keen to hear your current views on the matter, thanks!

(have currently installed catless DP and AA single channel midpipe, the sound is godly but unfortunately I get limp mode... Even with an opf delete module & a can module to disable secondary o2sensors... going on a roadtrip through europe in a few days/weeks and starting to get frustrated. Bought opf delete module, was a real mission to install them, mounted the mid pipes and downpipes, and still get limpmode because the company didnt state on their product page that the pressure sensors still need to be mounted on the DP pressure pipes for the deleter to work (only on the instructions which are read when installing...) Uninstalled everything except the opf delete modules, got a welder to help me out and mount pressure pipes on my catless downpipes so I then could mount the pressure sensors as needed. Installed everything after all this headache and still... limp mode.)

Mad but not much I can do other than continue trying to resolve this however possible. Appreciate you taking the time.

edit: only option now would be if a bmw service point could install the NA map on my m2, or I need to get a hold of a jb4/bm3 (no flash since I want to keep warranty) but really sucks since i spent the same amount for the opf delete module and secondary o2 sensor disabler (for the catless DP's). Really shouldve gone for that right in the beginning, so much headache for nothing:/
Anyway wish for you (and everyone with the same issue) a lot less hassle than what I have had to go through and will keep on going through til I get it running properly.

Last edited by m2css; 05-30-2022 at 08:35 PM..
Appreciate 0