BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Thinnest OEM Steering Wheel

12-17-2023, 10:01 AM   #1
Alanine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Thinnest OEM Steering Wheel

I'd like to get an alcantara-covered wheel for my OG M2, but want the lowest reasonable rim thickness. Are there differences in thickness between OG, Comp and CS? I've heard the CS is the thickest? Alternatively, are there ways for upholstery shops to actually take down the thickness a little before recovering? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 12:53 AM   #2
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

I sent my oem wheel to Royal Steering Wheels in UK (I'm in Australia), they can re-trim it slightly thinner than oem (around 1mm) and a 1st class job as well. I had used the M Performance v2 wheel for a couple years but never liked it's bigger thickness, the retrimmed wheel is just so much better. Cost is around 50% of what an M Perf wheel costs and if you don't have a 'spare' wheel to send them you can pay an additional deposit, they will send you a finished wheel and refund the deposit when you later send them your wheel.

My retrimmed wheel
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 07:13 AM   #3
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanine View Post
I'd like to get an alcantara-covered wheel for my OG M2, but want the lowest reasonable rim thickness. Are there differences in thickness between OG, Comp and CS? I've heard the CS is the thickest? Alternatively, are there ways for upholstery shops to actually take down the thickness a little before recovering? Thanks.
The Comp wheel is a little thinner than the OG wheel (there is a thread here about it somewhere). The CS is massive enough that only apes like it.

The core of the OG and Comp are identical, as is the leather type, it's the leather trim thickness and padding that's different, and to that end you can have any custom steering wheel shop trim it with a thinner pad.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 08:04 AM   #4
Alanine
Enlisted Member
Rep

Great info - thank you! I've had a wheel trimmed by Royal in the UK for another car and was very happy with it, so will ask them for their thinnest configuration.

Bonus question: is "black alcantara" a good match for the OEM BMW alcantara in the M2? For example, the shift boot and the door card upholstery.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 10:36 AM   #5
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Great info - thank you! I've had a wheel trimmed by Royal in the UK for another car and was very happy with it, so will ask them for their thinnest configuration.

Bonus question: is "black alcantara" a good match for the OEM BMW alcantara in the M2? For example, the shift boot and the door card upholstery.
I'm pretty sure BMW doesn't use actual alcantara, which is a brand name of synthetic suede, and originally made for use with GLOVES ONLY (although the current alcantara works well with hands). BMW's suede is super soft, wears well, and is literally made to be handled with your hands. I wouldn't worry about matching these different suedes, and absolutely choose the best hand-use suede available.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 02:36 PM   #6
varooshgog
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
The Comp wheel is a little thinner than the OG wheel (there is a thread here about it somewhere). The CS is massive enough that only apes like it.

The core of the OG and Comp are identical, as is the leather type, it's the leather trim thickness and padding that's different, and to that end you can have any custom steering wheel shop trim it with a thinner pad.
As a man with ape hands, you are not wrong

Alanine
Any custom shop (like AZA auto wheel or similar) should be able to shave down the foam core a bit to get it a bit thinner.

Alcantara color I believe is Black or Anthracite (it will vary a bit depending on source, but it should all look really close). I love me some alcantara, but cleaning it so frequently gets annoying, so depending on your care routine you may actually prefer leather.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 08:49 AM   #7
Alanine
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks - I'm a big fan of Alcantara over leather - hence this post!

Another bonus question: how many variations of the OG M2 steering wheel are there? I want to keep my original leather wheel and buy a matching 2nd wheel, to have recovered. Mine is a 6MT, with heated wheel. Will there be a part number under the airbag which identifies the spec, so I can shop for a used one?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 09:31 PM   #8
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:

the oem shift boot etc might be very slightly darker, I'd not noticed a difference till I just now compared, unless you sit there trying to compare I don't think you'd ever notice. Here's a pic but with light reflection the variation looks greater in the pic than with naked eye.

re different wheel diameters I don't think there are different part #'s across the F8X cars for the stock wheel, from memory I think it was guessed there may have been a change with oem supplier. My wheel isn't heated so not sure if that affects what Royal can do with your wheel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Alanine12.00