BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M Performance Grille - Logo upside down?

12-04-2023, 09:25 AM   #1
UltimateBMWfan
UltimateBMWfan
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS, E92 M3, E89 Z4

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Question M Performance Grille - Logo upside down?

Anyone buy the M Performance Carbon Grille for the M2 Comp lately?

I've received 3 different pieces from two different shops with the same issue, which is with the M2 Logo.

Firstly with the placement, which is very inconsistent and all over the place, with the M and 2 not aligning or being shoved into corners/angled.

Worse still, on every single part I've received, the 2 is upside down. Here are pictures of the three different parts I've gotten:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Unfortunately this latest shop I've ordered from is now trying to tell me that the installation is correct.

Have any of you run into the same issue with this part?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 09:53 AM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Until your post, I would have thought that 'the 2 is upside down' was a joke and it was symmetrical, but you can clearly see the curvature on the one part. NOw I"m going tostew until I can check mine to be sure. I know, probably not the feedback you were seeking. Are these parts direct from BMW, or aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 10:23 AM   #3
Distinct
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
So now the state of training and quality control of an OEM piece is worse than a copy. This is pretty bad and good on you for actually catching this.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 10:32 AM   #4
UltimateBMWfan
UltimateBMWfan
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Until your post, I would have thought that 'the 2 is upside down' was a joke and it was symmetrical, but you can clearly see the curvature on the one part. NOw I"m going tostew until I can check mine to be sure. I know, probably not the feedback you were seeking. Are these parts direct from BMW, or aftermarket?
Not sure what feedback I'm seeking here either other than laughter, sympathy and "me too"'s haha. Maybe it can help others identify whether they have the same issue as well though, so maybe there's some added value there.

These are all original M Perf parts ordered from two authorized dealers, part number 51712453944.

Funnily enough, you can order the badge itself separately, and from a quick google search the 2 is the correct way up. So somewhere along the line these twos (sample size 3) are getting flipped for some reason.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3848.00
      12-04-2023, 10:57 AM   #5
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

This is the only close up shot I have of the logo on the carbon grill. Unfortunately I no longer have the car so I can't get a fresher picture. Alignment and orientation appeared to be perfect. For reference, I purchased it used off of another member so I'm not able to offer a time line of production, but this was purchased used roughly 1 year ago.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 03:27 PM   #6
UltimateBMWfan
UltimateBMWfan
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
This is the only close up shot I have of the logo on the carbon grill. Unfortunately I no longer have the car so I can't get a fresher picture. Alignment and orientation appeared to be perfect. For reference, I purchased it used off of another member so I'm not able to offer a time line of production, but this was purchased used roughly 1 year ago.
Logo looks great! Looks just like the one that came with my car. The ones I got seem to come from Poland, fwiw. Not sure if there are different suppliers for the grille in the US vs. EU...
Appreciate 0