f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Post up the carnage.

Hopefully this is the only carnage and I won't be posting pics of damage from the replacement installation.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 09:47 AM   #46
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Damn, that's ugly. I've had good luck with the $10 Amazon repair kits to fill those. It doesn't remove it, but it reduced me being pissed every day looking at it. Then I was able to accrue a few more window ailments before replacing. If you want a few more miles out of it. I'm not replacing mine yet because I can't see the damage from inside the car. And the hassle/cost of getting the window tinted again has given me motivation to drive it for a while longer as is.
      08-15-2022, 12:08 PM   #47
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by f87CSdrifterential View Post

Hopefully this is the only carnage and I won't be posting pics of damage from the replacement installation.
The one and only flaw on my E92 M2 was a impact like this, it happened to the first owner. He had the glass filled and it never spread. Mine was literally dead center of the drivers field of view. The reason the previous owner and I did not replace was because we both did not was to risk it.
      09-02-2022, 12:59 AM   #48
krm
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F87 CS, G21 B58

I noticed a hairline crack sneaking out below the sight-line of the rear view mirror while out driving this morning. I got out of the car to see a long hairline crack starting from the top edge of the windshield which looks to be chipped, likely from some road debris I heard hitting the windshield a few days ago.

There was no visible damage near the closest edge of the roof which is PPF'ed.

Now onto the dealer to request for a replacement, excess about 900 USD or so.

Attached Images

Last edited by krm; 09-02-2022 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 06:55 AM   #49
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krm View Post
I noticed a hairline crack sneaking out below the sight-line of the rear view mirror while out driving this morning. I got out of the car to see a long hairline crack starting from the top edge of the windshield which looks to be chipped, likely from some road debris I heard hitting the windshield a few days ago.

There was no visible damage near the closest edge of the roof which is PPF'ed.

Now onto the dealer to request for a replacement, excess about 900 USD or so.

I recommend letting the installer know you have ppf, and taking a video that shows intact ppf on the edge that touches the window foam. I had an issue where a piece got torn off during replacement. They replaced the roof PPF on my word, but always nice to have documentation. Good for them as my window needs replacement again and I'll have them do it
Appreciate 1
krm347.00
      09-02-2022, 07:58 AM   #50
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by f87CSdrifterential View Post

The one and only flaw on my E92 M2 was a impact like this, it happened to the first owner. He had the glass filled and it never spread. Mine was literally dead center of the drivers field of view. The reason the previous owner and I did not replace was because we both did not was to risk it.
Funny, same issue on my e92 and I had it filled instead of replacing the windshield. I can confirm that it never spread any further up to today. So it is a legitimate option…..
Appreciate 1
M3R12162.50
      09-02-2022, 08:29 AM   #51
krm
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F87 CS, G21 B58

Quote:
I recommend letting the installer know you have ppf, and taking a video that shows intact ppf on the edge that touches the window foam. I had an issue where a piece got torn off during replacement. They replaced the roof PPF on my word, but always nice to have documentation. Good for them as my window needs replacement again and I'll have them do it
Thank you for the recommendation. I will advise them to be extra cautious and I will also have my ppf guy cross check once done (as my windshield is slightly tinted by the PPF shop as well, so will have the new one redone).

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 02:21 PM   #52
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krm View Post
Thank you for the recommendation. I will advise them to be extra cautious and I will also have my ppf guy cross check once done (as my windshield is slightly tinted by the PPF shop as well, so will have the new one redone).

Cheers.
I feel that tint pain too.
Appreciate 1
krm347.00
      09-24-2022, 01:30 PM   #53
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Just got my windshield replaced by Safelite. They ordered an M240i OEM windshield. I had the tech check the part number and it matched my windshield. I told him about the PPF on the carbon roof and tipped him $50 to be extra careful.

I haven't driven it or exposed it to rain yet, but visually looks great. PPF was untouched. I was concerned, but it came out looking great.

Just wanted to share what I believe to be a success story despite the carbon roof. It probably helped that the tech is a car guy and currently searching for a 5 year old M2 or M3.

The first pic is the finished product.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Hedoniste3811.50
      09-24-2022, 09:38 PM   #54
aroundelway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

You guys crack me up. I’ve had mine replaced twice at different local shops. Around 600 out of pocket for the non OEM glass.

It’s just a car and a windshield. If you track the car they will get smacked.

If they damage the pod that can be fixed too.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 11:41 PM   #55
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

I got exoshield windshield protection this time around and haven’t had a problem with chips. It’s a nice thick film with great visibility and once it’s battered can replace with a new one.

Don’t need to worry about adhesive, improper installation, sound, etc
Appreciate 1
CFoote179.50
      09-25-2022, 04:23 PM   #56
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundelway View Post
You guys crack me up. I’ve had mine replaced twice at different local shops. Around 600 out of pocket for the non OEM glass.

I've replaced several windshields in other BMWs. Normally, I don't think twice.

When there are only ~600 in the country and a very important structural carbon roof, and heard some concerns about Safelite, I was a bit concerned.

It was worth the risk to replace, as I won't drive a car with a blemish on the windshield. My state is a $0 deductible windshield replacement, so I only had to pay $250 extra for the OEM.

I've never spent this much on a car, I've never PPF'd a car before this and I've had some nice cars. This one just feels special.
Appreciate 1
CFoote179.50
      09-25-2022, 04:25 PM   #57
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv.m3 View Post
I got exoshield windshield protection this time around and haven’t had a problem with chips. It’s a nice thick film with great visibility and once it’s battered can replace with a new one.

Don’t need to worry about adhesive, improper installation, sound, etc
My PPF guy said covering the windshield could cause it to shatter with extreme heat (I live in FL). Is the something special about Exoshield or is my PPF guy full of crap?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 04:51 PM   #58
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
My PPF guy said covering the windshield could cause it to shatter with extreme heat (I live in FL). Is the something special about Exoshield or is my PPF guy full of crap?
I used Hugh's Detailing and I have had no issues.. now.. I don't daily drive the car either, but exoshield is not the same material as regular ppf.
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 1
mfarrzhp1491.00
      09-27-2022, 10:28 AM   #59
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
I've made the dealer pay to have my car entirely re detailed and re ceramic coated for mis washing it. Made a body shop do similar for touching too many panels. Wouldn't hesitate to make the glass guy pay for new roof ppf and ceramic.
you're a gangster
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 09:59 AM   #60
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundelway View Post

I just had mine replaced today by the dealer recommended shop. I specifically asked in advance for oem glass, but to my surprise they told me there was no other option anyway.
      10-06-2022, 06:42 PM   #61
aroundelway
Private First Class
Rep

They lied.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 07:46 AM   #62
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
The thought is that the film absorbs a lot of heat which makes the glass hotter than usual. I own a Tesla and they say the same thing about tinting the glass roof. Now, I don't know if any of this is true since a lot of people tint the roof anyway with no problems... its just what I heard.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 02:03 PM   #63
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma001 View Post
In my opinion dealership would be best
How many dealerships actually replace glass? Gotta be near zero. They all use a local glass guy. Same for stuff like wheel repair, PDR, tint, etc. If they're not going to stick you with some big markup, then using the dealer and their contractor seems like a good idea. One point of contact for the customer, one to hold accountable for the quality of the work. Another good option is to just ask your SA who they use, and go directly to them. Obviously they have a ton of BMW experience, being the dealer's go-to, and gotta be decent or they wouldn't hold onto the dealership's business. I would take either of these routes over using Safelite any day. Too many horror stories (including one really bad experience of my own). They've certainly got some good techs who do good work and "give a shit", but also have a ton of idiots.
      10-11-2022, 08:00 PM   #64
aroundelway
Private First Class
Rep

I just had another replaced at the dealer — they used a local installer who could have had come to my house, it was just more convenient to get it done there along with the tele recall and an oil change.

Again folks it’s just a car and a windshield. The ppf on my car is still fine without going through some elaborate procedures.

Now, I have owned cars in the past that came with special thinner windshields and getting those replaced with oem WAS a real hassle. Same goes for my NA Miata. Original glass is not around but as luck would have it Mazda made a batch of Japanese windshields recently so I bought a few.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 09:25 AM   #65
Ginny077
Rep
Drives: Bmw i8

Quote:
Must get my windshield replaced. I've used Safelite with another car and had a great experience. Should I be concerned with carbon roof on this car and use dealership?
Use dealership
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 06:42 PM   #66
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I used Quacked glass again. Their customer service was so good last time that I wanted to give them another shot. Perfect job. They came to the house. They order the glass directly from the local BMW dealership. It took about two weeks to get the glass. It was replaced at the end of September.

Then I had it retinted. I also added an exterior protection film. We'll see how it holds up. Even without getting major dings I've noticed how peppered my glass gets. I'm hoping this film will last 3yrs. It's about $500 per application.