BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Best engine oils

05-15-2022, 04:03 PM   #133
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/F...5882F0048BFEF/$File/wepp-cdtt2a.pdf

Copy past it. For some reason it is broken when I paste it.
yeah I can't load it for some reason
      05-15-2022, 04:04 PM   #134
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Oh I got it:

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/77FBFE16C0E662EA8025882F0048BFEF/$File/wepp-cdtt2a.pdf

if this doesn't work I just googled cdtt2a and it was the first thing that showed up.

Interesting, kv100 is even lower than PPE - and with the higher pour point temp I wonder if HTHS is affected negatively. Also no porsche a40 as of yet, I wonder if this will change in the future. Can't wait to learn more about this oil and maybe even get a VOA.
      05-15-2022, 07:04 PM   #135
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:

Oh I got it:

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/77FBFE16C0E662EA8025882F0048BFEF/$File/wepp-cdtt2a.pdf

if this doesn't work I just googled cdtt2a and it was the first thing that showed up.

Interesting, kv100 is even lower than PPE - and with the higher pour point temp I wonder if HTHS is affected negatively. Also no porsche a40 as of yet, I wonder if this will change in the future. Can't wait to learn more about this oil and maybe even get a VOA.
To be honest, doesn't look promising!
They didn't change their 0W30.
Idk about HTHS. Castrol doesn't utilize GTL, which always returns good HTHS. Unless they used bit of Esters like M1. But, they say this oil is LL01, so highly doubt there is ester.
Appreciate 1
F87source7245.50
      05-15-2022, 07:48 PM   #136
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Idk about HTHS. Castrol doesn't utilize GTL, which always returns good HTHS. Unless they used bit of Esters like M1. But, they say this oil is LL01, so highly doubt there is ester.
Yeah that's unfortunate, I was hoping it would be another really good option for BMWs and a step forward in oil technology.
      05-15-2022, 10:53 PM   #137
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah that's unfortunate, I was hoping it would be another really good option for BMWs and a step forward in oil technology.
Knowing Castrol, they figured how to get 0W40 to be close to previous version but utilizing Group III base stocks.
Appreciate 1
F87source7245.50
      05-15-2022, 11:23 PM   #138
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Knowing Castrol, they figured how to get 0W40 to be close to previous version but utilizing Group III base stocks.
I'm just curious how it stacks up to PPE, and if it will be available in 5L jugs here in Canada.
      05-16-2022, 07:30 AM   #139
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm just curious how it stacks up to PPE, and if it will be available in 5L jugs here in Canada.
It will be there. 0W40 is Castrol's premier product. Motul figured how to extract high HTHS from basically Group III oils which are GEN2.
I wouldn't be surprised if HTHS is still around 3.7.
But things I would look for is shear stability, flash point stability etc. We will see overtime what UOA says. I have UOA of 0W30, old 0W40, so might run it just to see.
Appreciate 1
F87source7245.50
      10-05-2022, 04:19 PM   #140
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

I've been using PPE 5w40 and will be getting a UOA in a month or so.
Watch this space.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 10:51 AM   #141
s1k_RR
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I'm surprised Amsoil doesn't have a specific oil for this car. They have oils for almost everything under the sun. Buy engine oil from them for my Viper and S1000RR bikes (13 and 21).
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 11:27 AM   #142
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1k_RR View Post
I'm surprised Amsoil doesn't have a specific oil for this car. They have oils for almost everything under the sun. Buy engine oil from them for my Viper and S1000RR bikes (13 and 21).
Amsoil is super overrated. Nothing special except hype. They are a smaller company and don't have the engineering resources that XOM, Shell, etc. have.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 02:03 AM   #143
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
I use amsoil 0w40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Amsoil is super overrated. Nothing special except hype. They are a smaller company and don't have the engineering resources that XOM, Shell, etc. have.
Why do you think it's overrated?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 05:31 PM   #144
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrive_X View Post
Quote:
I use amsoil 0w40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Why do you think it's overrated?
Their line up is average. They have several good oils, but not any better than Mobil1 etc. in those categories. They lack approvals or oil has one manufacturer approval but not others which indicates limits in formula.
Appreciate 2
F87source7245.50
chris7197334.00
      10-14-2022, 12:39 AM   #145
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Their line up is average. They have several good oils, but not any better than Mobil1 etc. in those categories. They lack approvals or oil has one manufacturer approval but not others which indicates limits in formula.
I suppose they do not have approval in the European market for anti-pollution regulations, that does not make the oil bad, but quite the opposite.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 12:45 AM   #146
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I suppose they do not have approval in the European market for anti-pollution regulations, that does not make the oil bad, but quite the opposite.
What you said doesn't make any sense.
Manufacturers approvals don't have anything to do with markets. LL01 or any other BMW or VW or MB etc. approvals, are valid everywhere. Actually it is US market bcs. CAFE requirements that is sensitive on grade used due to HTHS being contributing factor to consumption bcs. resistance.
Approvals are all about wear, deposits, oxidation, stay in grade requirement etc.
I wrote about this extensively here in various threads so you can research.

And yes, Amsoil is just another oil, that unlike many other oils, lack official approvals. It has good products. But, far from being "better " than anything you can pick up in Wal Mart for BMW.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
F87source7245.50
      10-14-2022, 02:49 PM   #147
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Manufacturers approvals don't have anything to do with markets. LL01 or any other BMW or VW or MB etc. approvals, are valid everywhere. Actually it is US market bcs. CAFE requirements that is sensitive on grade used due to HTHS being contributing factor to consumption bcs. resistance.
Approvals are all about wear, deposits, oxidation, stay in grade requirement etc.

And yes, Amsoil is just another oil, that unlike many other oils, lack official approvals. It has good products. But, far from being "better " than anything you can pick up in Wal Mart for BMW.
Reading your comment gives me the impression that you know a lot of theory but you don't know how to apply it in real life.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 03:19 PM   #148
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Reading your comment gives me the impression that you know a lot of theory but you don't know how to apply it in real life.
He did work for oil companies in Europe, formulating and testing oils iirc.

So I'd say he knows what he's talking about..........

Btw amsoil told me a while back when I asked, they don't have certifications because it's was too expensive to get their oils certified and that's why they stopped. But in reality I believe oil certifications only cost a couple hundred bucks to perform (as per bitog), and since they don't have it I'd say it's not a monetary concern but rather that their oils simply cannot pass the stringent tests set out by the oem's.

Btw i personally don't think a small company like ams oil is going to be able to out formulate billion dollar companies like shell and mobil1 who also take their learnings from formula 1 and put it into their commercial oils. Look at shell, they developed GTL tech with Ferrari in F1 and now it's in their street oils.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...rived-oil.html

Last edited by F87source; 10-14-2022 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 04:07 PM   #149
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well, here is your opportunity to enlighten us about application.
Appreciate 1
F87source7245.50
      10-14-2022, 04:17 PM   #150
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
He did work for oil companies in Europe, formulating and testing oils iirc.

So I'd say he knows what he's talking about..........

Btw amsoil told me a while back when I asked, they don't have certifications because it's was too expensive to get their oils certified and that's why they stopped. But in reality I believe oil certifications only cost a couple hundred bucks to perform (as per bitog), and since they don't have it I'd say it's not a monetary concern but rather that their oils simply cannot pass the stringent tests set out by the oem's.

Btw i personally don't think a small company like ams oil is going to be able to out formulate billion dollar companies like shell and mobil1 who also take their learnings from formula 1 and put it into their commercial oils. Look at shell, they developed GTL tech with Ferrari in F1 and now it's in their street oils.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...rived-oil.html
You just said it yourself, that it does not have the approval does not mean that the oil is bad. he is saying that BMW oils are very good as if BMW made oils....

Interesting article about Shell GTL oils.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 04:43 PM   #151
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You just said it yourself, that it does not have the approval does not mean that the oil is bad. he is saying that BMW oils are very good as if BMW made oils....

Interesting article about Shell GTL oils.
That's not what I said at all, that was amsoil's excuse on not meeting the oil certifications. They used to have certifications with bmw, but then lost it, and that's likely because they couldn't keep up with the ever changing demands of bmw. Every manufacturer would strive to have the oem certifications, because that means they will be fully approved to be used while under warranty, especially because the tests are cheap and if you don't have it thats saying something imo.

Even redline, who used to make the same excuse about not needing manufacturer specs, now makes OEM approved oil. That should show how important these certifications really are.

Some oem specs like porsche A40 is an extremely strenuous long duration test and hard to obtain. Thus if the oil cannot get it, clearly it isn't going to be as robust as an oil with it, and this directly influences how good an oil is. So if an oil doesn't have it - it doesn't mean it is bad, but it is highly likely the oil isn't going to be as good as a fully certified oil. There are exceptions like race oil, but this doesn't apply when when we are talking about oils that are made to mimic having these real certifications, aka oils that are "applicable to bmw ll01, porsche a40, mb229.5" which are clearly not race oils. So having these certifications just gives it a good baseline to start from, not having it at all isn't the greatest sign. It could mean the oil has a poor NOACK score because the base stock is bad, it could be because the oil doesn't have the best oxidation resistance, it could be because the oil doesn't meet the other base stock requirements etc.

Also just because bmw made the oil requirements doesn't mean it is the best. It is a very stringent baseline that is good to have, the different additives and developments made on top of that is what makes an oil superb. There are alot of oils that do have full bmw certifications and porsche certifications and mercedes certifications, and they still are just average, because their additive packages and base stock is just average.
      10-14-2022, 05:39 PM   #152
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
You have the opportunity to learn many things in this great forum.

Your favorite oil with approval ll01 from NASA:

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 05:53 PM   #153
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You should find someone who knows to install that cover. It is ok to admit that you need help doing it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 06:16 PM   #154
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Not sure what this image even proves...

But right off the top it's likely to be an s55 as it has dual HPFP's.

Failure on this engine can be due to many reasons other than oil, such as the infamous crank hub failure.

Not sure what this has to do with ll01 approvals, seeing there are vast number of ll01 approved oils to chose from that have vastly better VOA and UOA test results vs. amsoil.