BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > How much do we really know about climate?

10-12-2022, 07:38 AM   #89
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
(which is inherently biased to the programmer's beliefs).
And here is where you would be 100% incorrect. They use data...not beliefs. That would be a QAnut believer process method.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 09:00 AM   #90
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
I agree with above - I always worry when science (well outside the technical aspects of the scientific field) is used to support broad policy decisions - for example, US nuclear energy policy.
Could you explain what you mean by that? That's now accusatory, just curious what you're getting at.

From what I understand, modern reactors and especially thorium reactors are incredibly safe. But Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, and Fukishima scare the unwashed, American masses away from nuclear energy because they don't understand it.

Especially when you consider countries like France derive nearly 80% of their electricity from nuclear power. From what I understand as well, which seems so obvious, the reactors are standardized. So maintenance parts aren't one off for each individual plant.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 06:28 AM   #91
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

An article on the collapse of the snow crab fishery is a bit concerning and the loss of that fishery certainly could be another climate related environmental dysfunction. It's certainly something that we thought might happen, but a lot of things are happening at a pace faster than expected.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 07:00 AM   #92
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
An article on the collapse of the snow crab fishery is a bit concerning and the loss of that fishery certainly could be another climate related environmental dysfunction. It's certainly something that we thought might happen, but a lot of things are happening at a pace faster than expected.
In 5 minutes I browsed a few articles that SUGGESTED cause could be overfishing, disease, predators or climate.

But the fear mongers jump right on their train.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 07:23 AM   #93
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
Quote:
In 5 minutes I browsed a few articles that SUGGESTED cause could be overfishing, disease, predators or climate.

But the fear mongers jump right on their train.
It's not fear mongering, it's a discussion of what might be going. And it might be that disease outbreaks are changing because of climate. And the same for predators (species are moving around).

And we know that the population dynamics are strongly linked to temperature. So, neither proven not fear mongering.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 07:38 AM   #94
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
It's not fear mongering, it's a discussion of what might be going. And it might be that disease outbreaks are changing because of climate. And the same for predators (species are moving around).

And we know that the population dynamics are strongly linked to temperature. So, neither proven not fear mongering.
But if it's disease.. it's because of climate?
If it's predators.. they are migrating because of climate?

This is a discussion?
Appreciate 1
UncleWede17962.50