BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > GarageMadness | Build & Ownership Thread *Update: UCP and AS SSK 7.22.21**

03-14-2022, 10:11 AM   #111
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintjah View Post
Which track were you at Thunderbird?
Wild Horse Pass East in Chandler, Arizona.
      03-14-2022, 10:15 AM   #112
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMadness View Post
Finally got out to a track day after a year of being busy with other things. It was fun to see all my track buds. A few of us brought our S2000s for a track day. I decided to bring the M2 Comp as my S2000 is getting safety items installed for proper bucket seats. Needed to shred the remaining stock tires off. Mission accomplished! Plus I wanted to see how it does on a short track (1.25 miles) with tons of different cars. I'm an intermediate track driver (NASA DE3). So lots of different HP in my group. My fastest session I was able to pass most everyone except the instructor and a few other cars (NSX, two 911s, C8) in stock form, stock pads, and street tires. The only thing I changed was brake fluid to RB660.

Good first time experience on track overall. It's blistering fast and can brake as late as you want into turns. You do have to gently squeeze the throttle on tight turns given the massive torque available. I will say 3rd gear is most used gear given the wide power band. Brakes are something to get used as you can brake very late into every turn given the stopping power. On the other side they can also can scrub off speed too quickly. I will need more seat time to practice modulating the brakes to balance this. The car handles surprisingly well in stock form as I have no suspension or tire upgrades. I really wanted to see how it performed before any track modifications are made. It is definitely a different beast on track vs street driving. On tighter turns it lacks some grip to accelerate hard given the lack of camber and 200 tread wear tires. The seats are great with the adjustment of bolsters on the sides. You have to find the right seating position as the helmet does make quick contact with the headrest at times. I can see taller torso drivers may not have this issue. The SSK performed well. I knew exactly what gear I was in at all times (exactly what I was aiming for when I ordered it through Ron at Auto Solutions). Drove the car in MDM mode most of the day to allow the extra slip angle I wanted on tight sections of the track. One thing to note is bleeding tires down to track temps will light up the TMPS message. You can go down to 28-30 PSI cold with no issues. I'm not exactly sure at what tire temp the car would engage limp mode. All other temps we fine. I do wish the car had a oil dipstick instead. Track sessions are 20 minutes long so you can't measure oil unless you can drive 30 minutes or longer. Plus TMPS cannot be reset unless your moving. I will have to use my pyrometer to measure the proper camber once I have suspension upgrades and proper tires installed.

Overall a fun day with friends. I felt like I brought a cheater car amongst the momentum based S2000s. I could accelerate hard in any gear, brake much harder and deeper into turns, and achieve significant straightaway speeds. 😜
I have yet to have limp mode at the track with low tire pressures... It's just a warning that tells you "it's a good idea not to drive fast" but it doesn't physically limit anything.
Also, you should be able to measure oil as long as it's up to temp. It *says* 30 min but I've never actually had the car force me to not be able to measure until 30 min has elapsed.
Yeah the temps wouldn't come up once the signal went on. But I didn't mess around with it all too much. I do believe if the tires are around 25 PSI which would be around 29-32 PSI hot under most conditions, the pressure would be optimal for them better grip. You're correct on the time though. I was referring to oil instead.
      05-06-2022, 05:01 PM   #113
Jurassic_Sean
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp

Garage List
Great build you have going! Any updates??
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 09:56 PM   #114
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Change of Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic_Sean View Post
The build has halted as I've decided to keep my car close to stock except for the Apex wheels, shifter, and clutch pedal. Everything else is more than adequate since I've had a chance to drive the car on many trips and on the track.

Plus I've purchased another rare car in addition to my M2C and track dedicated S2000.
Attached Images

07-01-2022, 11:05 PM   #115
PHX102
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
The build has halted as I've decided to keep my car close to stock except for the Apex wheels, shifter, and clutch pedal. Everything else is more than adequate since I've had a chance to drive the car on many trips and on the track.

Plus I've purchased another rare car in addition to my M2C and track dedicated S2000.
Of course I want to hear your thought on that beautiful specimen! Very nice
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2022, 03:08 AM   #116
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX102 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

It's a 2021 Boxster 25 Anniversary Edition. 1250 produced worldwide. Basically 718 GTS 4.0 with about $13K worth of Porsche add ons. GT Silver with black top and interior which is even more rare. Manual transmission. Neodyme "gold" accents and wheels. It's beautiful and sexy for sure. Get tons of comments on it. I'm in the break in period so not much in the way of how it feels at top end. Steering feel and ride quality are sublime. Very mechanical sounding especially with the intake and injector sounds at low RPMs. Driving position is perfection. Clutch is perfectly balanced for all types of driving. Dual mass flywheel is from GT3. Shifter is from GT4. Both add to a performance oriented driving experience. You can definitely tell the difference in various driving modes. Seats are uber comfortable and interior quality is exceptional. Just enough tactile buttons with the finesse and styling you expect from a P car. The exterior looks fantastic at almost every angle. These are just initial driving impressions. Very different feel from the M2C.
Attached Images

07-02-2022, 08:47 PM   #117
PHX102
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's a 2021 Boxster 25 Anniversary Edition. 1250 produced worldwide. Basically 718 GTS 4.0 with about $13K worth of Porsche add ons. GT Silver with black top and interior which is even more rare. Manual transmission. Neodyme "gold" accents and wheels. It's beautiful and sexy for sure. Get tons of comments on it. I'm in the break in period so not much in the way of how it feels at top end. Steering feel and ride quality are sublime. Very mechanical sounding especially with the intake and injector sounds at low RPMs. Driving position is perfection. Clutch is perfectly balanced for all types of driving. Dual mass flywheel is from GT3. Shifter is from GT4. Both add to a performance oriented driving experience. You can definitely tell the difference in various driving modes. Seats are uber comfortable and interior quality is exceptional. Just enough tactile buttons with the finesse and styling you expect from a P car. The exterior looks fantastic at almost every angle. These are just initial driving impressions. Very different feel from the M2C.
I thought these all came with the red interior which I'm not a fan of. This one truly looks great, special car for sure.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2022, 05:13 PM   #118
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I thought these all came with the red interior which I'm not a fan of. This one truly looks great, special car for sure.
Yeah for ones that could get an allotment black interior and top was available as an option. I wanted black as it's easier to live with over time. I did get lucky.
      08-14-2022, 11:03 AM   #119
MMRlight
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C

Quote:
I finally got around to installing the UCP and AS SSK.

INSTALL AND REVIEW:It was fairly straightforward with the UCP. I also landed up installing the M pedal while I had the new clutch pedal in hand. My friend drilled them out, while I worked on the UCP install. I set the pedal in the middle position as a good starting point. Immediately, I noticed the clutch pedal position is equidistant to the brake pedal. This eliminated the problem where my foot constantly hit the OEM clutch pedal when moving from the rest pedal. The middle position on the UCP definitely provides a shorter travel and allows for smoother engagement of the clutch. The pedal also feels slightly firmer than the OEM pedal. The billet aluminum feel is more consistent and less vague than the plastic OEM feel. I would not say the install of the UCP is easy given the gumby like nature of the position you have to be in to remove the stock pedal and install. I'm just glad I was flexible enough to get it done.

Reference Install Video (used this for reference)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afe2rheIKWI

SAD NOTE: I did accidentally damage the master clutch cylinder on the final step by not double checking the bolt had completely gone through the eyelet of the cylinder shaft. I pushed down on the pedal to complete the last step (not realizing the mistake I had made) and the plastic shaft broke from the pressure. Long story short, it cost me another $65 for a new master clutch cylinder on top of a a clutch bleed (live and learn ). In my years of modifying cars, I've never broken anything while installing a part. Lesson learned: Light up the underneath of the dash as much as you can and use both hands to the complete the final bolt installation. I mention this so others can learn from my mistakes.

Would I do the install by myself....100% yes!
Should you buy the UCP....absolutely a big difference in pedal pressure so yes.

While I has a local BMW mechanic perform the clutch bleed, he took a look at my AS SSK and absolutely wanted to do the install right there and then. He made it a point to say this was by far the best construction he had seen on a shorter installed on an M car. Since he knew his way around M cars and had installed various short shifters before, it actually only took him 1.5 hours to complete the AS SSK install. It was interesting to watch someone who intuitively knew how to install a short shifter. He basically did the install in the easiest way possible by dropping the drive shaft out of the way, disconnecting the shifter rod and transmission mount, and "snaking" the shifter out without having to drop the exhaust.

Brief Video highlighting install steps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H9qgmvPDPE

REVIEW: This is by far the best modification I've done and will probably be the top personal and performance modification throughout my ownership. I ordered a 22.5% reduction at stock height with the upgraded bushings. This shifter kit makes the OEM one feel like a distant memory. All shifts are precise, crisp, and eliminate the vagueness/"rubber like" feel of the OEM shifter completely. All gear throws are pronounced and require minimal additional effort on my part. 1st to 2nd gear is much smoother. 2nd to 3rd gear is visceral at WOT. 3rd to 2nd gear is perfection, especially when you're in M mode with greater throttle response and rev matching in tow. Through the gear changes, I have much better feel for the gear I'm in at all times. The gear changes are more audible (so if you're not keen on that, this may not be for you). I personally like the audible "click" notifying me the proper gear position has been reached. Currently I have the M performance shifter so the shifter provides a more definitive mechanical feel. For those who want to minimize that a heavier weighted shift knob would offer more kinetic force and somewhat minimize this "notchy" feel. Overall, I'm happy to get this installed for a whopping....wait for it, wait for it....$250!

Is the price to performance worth it?....most definitely yes
Is it something most can install on their own....probably no
Would I recommend this specific shifter kit....absolutely yes
Am I happy with the 22.5% reduction....it's perfect
Does the shifter pair well with M shift knob....yes if you like a more mechanical feel

The M2 Comp truly is so much more enjoyable to drive now. If my S2000 is the gold standard at 10, my M2 Comp has now achieved the silver standard at 8.5. Since I had already installed the Rogue Engineering transmission mounts, I have now achieved the "trifecta" on these specific modifications. If anyone has questions, just post up or send me a PM and I will answer questions for you. I hope this was informative at the least.
For your BMW M2C what bushing did you get the performance or the intermediate? I spoke with Ron and he mentioned the performance at 95 hardness May rattle. I too came from a Honda transmission so really wanting it to not feel rubbery is the goal. Can’t decide if I should go 80 or 95 for the bushing hardness.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 10:37 PM   #120
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMRlight View Post
Quote:
I finally got around to installing the UCP and AS SSK.

INSTALL AND REVIEW:It was fairly straightforward with the UCP. I also landed up installing the M pedal while I had the new clutch pedal in hand. My friend drilled them out, while I worked on the UCP install. I set the pedal in the middle position as a good starting point. Immediately, I noticed the clutch pedal position is equidistant to the brake pedal. This eliminated the problem where my foot constantly hit the OEM clutch pedal when moving from the rest pedal. The middle position on the UCP definitely provides a shorter travel and allows for smoother engagement of the clutch. The pedal also feels slightly firmer than the OEM pedal. The billet aluminum feel is more consistent and less vague than the plastic OEM feel. I would not say the install of the UCP is easy given the gumby like nature of the position you have to be in to remove the stock pedal and install. I'm just glad I was flexible enough to get it done.

Reference Install Video (used this for reference)

SAD NOTE: I did accidentally damage the master clutch cylinder on the final step by not double checking the bolt had completely gone through the eyelet of the cylinder shaft. I pushed down on the pedal to complete the last step (not realizing the mistake I had made) and the plastic shaft broke from the pressure. Long story short, it cost me another $65 for a new master clutch cylinder on top of a a clutch bleed (live and learn ). In my years of modifying cars, I've never broken anything while installing a part. Lesson learned: Light up the underneath of the dash as much as you can and use both hands to the complete the final bolt installation. I mention this so others can learn from my mistakes.

Would I do the install by myself....100% yes!
Should you buy the UCP....absolutely a big difference in pedal pressure so yes.

While I has a local BMW mechanic perform the clutch bleed, he took a look at my AS SSK and absolutely wanted to do the install right there and then. He made it a point to say this was by far the best construction he had seen on a shorter installed on an M car. Since he knew his way around M cars and had installed various short shifters before, it actually only took him 1.5 hours to complete the AS SSK install. It was interesting to watch someone who intuitively knew how to install a short shifter. He basically did the install in the easiest way possible by dropping the drive shaft out of the way, disconnecting the shifter rod and transmission mount, and "snaking" the shifter out without having to drop the exhaust.

Brief Video highlighting install steps

REVIEW: This is by far the best modification I've done and will probably be the top personal and performance modification throughout my ownership. I ordered a 22.5% reduction at stock height with the upgraded bushings. This shifter kit makes the OEM one feel like a distant memory. All shifts are precise, crisp, and eliminate the vagueness/"rubber like" feel of the OEM shifter completely. All gear throws are pronounced and require minimal additional effort on my part. 1st to 2nd gear is much smoother. 2nd to 3rd gear is visceral at WOT. 3rd to 2nd gear is perfection, especially when you're in M mode with greater throttle response and rev matching in tow. Through the gear changes, I have much better feel for the gear I'm in at all times. The gear changes are more audible (so if you're not keen on that, this may not be for you). I personally like the audible "click" notifying me the proper gear position has been reached. Currently I have the M performance shifter so the shifter provides a more definitive mechanical feel. For those who want to minimize that a heavier weighted shift knob would offer more kinetic force and somewhat minimize this "notchy" feel. Overall, I'm happy to get this installed for a whopping....wait for it, wait for it....$250!

Is the price to performance worth it?....most definitely yes
Is it something most can install on their own....probably no
Would I recommend this specific shifter kit....absolutely yes
Am I happy with the 22.5% reduction....it's perfect
Does the shifter pair well with M shift knob....yes if you like a more mechanical feel

The M2 Comp truly is so much more enjoyable to drive now. If my S2000 is the gold standard at 10, my M2 Comp has now achieved the silver standard at 8.5. Since I had already installed the Rogue Engineering transmission mounts, I have now achieved the "trifecta" on these specific modifications. If anyone has questions, just post up or send me a PM and I will answer questions for you. I hope this was informative at the least.
For your BMW M2C what bushing did you get the performance or the intermediate? I spoke with Ron and he mentioned the performance at 95 hardness May rattle. I too came from a Honda transmission so really wanting it to not feel rubbery is the goal. Can't decide if I should go 80 or 95 for the bushing hardness.
I went 80. No harshness. Positive engagement without any vagueness during shifts. I did switch back to the stock shift knob. It engages smoother and probably even better if you get a heavier knob. But I want to keep my shift knob stock looking.

Go for stock height, 22.5 degree short throw is a measurable improvement. Did great on track and comfortable for DD. Good luck with purchase.
      09-27-2022, 12:29 AM   #121
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Anyone interested?

IND M Performance Shift Knob and Boot https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1957375
      10-01-2022, 11:20 PM   #122
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

APEX EC-7 Wheel On Finally

I waited for the OEM tires to wear down. Finally after a year (talk about patience) I swapped my OEM wheels with the Apex wheels I bought quite some time ago. Only got a chance to take one evening pic. I will post up some more daytime pics soon. RT660 tires are meaty. Give the car a formidable look and the combo is definitely track capable. Posted an install pic in comparison to stock for anyone considering this on Sunset Orange.
Attached Images

10-04-2022, 02:08 AM   #123
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Sunset pics
Attached Images

W///7471.50
VonB1119.00
      10-08-2022, 11:00 PM   #124
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

So I decide to install the Lightweight splitter. It's a one person job but two hands definitely help. Requires some drilling but was fairly straightforward to install. Came with high quality German hardware including torque screws and industrial rev nuts. Took about one hour or so to install with proper time to ensure appropriate drilling in a step up method. I'm pleased how it looks on the car and it's way better protection than the OEM CF splitter. It's an ABS type material with a satin finish on top. Extremely sturdy and should offer protection against those low end driveways and parking lot curbs. The car has a more dramatic front look but it's subtle enough not to draw too much attention. Best of all it's functional protection for the bumper which is what I wanted. Who knows it may even provide some addition aero benefits but I doubt it. For those interested in something different than the OEM CF splitter and knock-offs, this is a quality piece from Germany. Worth it but you be the judge.
Attached Images

MCHLBMR148.00