BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Snow tires??

08-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
dont_Mistak3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW/SO M3

Snow tires??

Hi all,

I'll be taking delivery of my M2C in November. I curerntly live in NJ so snow will likley start soon after (or maybe even before, who knows with this crazy wetather). I'm assuming the standard tires probably won't like the snow that much. For other folks in similar regions/weather conditions, are you changing tires as well and if so what are some good options?

While we're on the topic, (bare with me I'm new to M cars..upgrading from a 328!!) what do you guys do about spares since the M cars dont come with spares or runflats (thank goodness!!!)
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      08-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #2
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
I am gonna run Nokian winter tyres...

How do you mean spares?

Oh and welcome to the club.

MR
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2018, 05:53 PM   #3
dont_Mistak3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post

How do you mean spares?

MR
Thanks! And usually cars that don’t have RF tires come with a donut tire in the trunk in case you need to change the tire on the go...but from my understanding M cars don’t come with that spare tire. So do you need to get your own kit to change a tire on the road?
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      08-20-2018, 05:56 PM   #4
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower95 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post

How do you mean spares?

MR
Thanks! And usually cars that don’t have RF tires come with a donut tire in the trunk in case you need to change the tire on the go...but from my understanding M cars don’t come with that spare tire. So do you need to get your own kit to change a tire on the road?
I will call the local highwaysupoort service and they will help....

There is a tire first aid kit in the back of the car under the floor.

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #5
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4

Slime 70005 Safety Spair 7-Minute Flat Tire Repair System
Appreciate 2
      08-20-2018, 07:03 PM   #6
plastus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 Competition

I'm picking up mine in December (also NJ) and will be shipping a set of winter wheels/tires to the dealer prior to delivery so they can swap them out. My tire choice is the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II so that I can keep the stock size all around. A skinnier tire will help to cut through snow but I only need snow traction in emergency situations or if there's a light dusting during a commute to work; otherwise my only concern is having the proper rubber compound for lower temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #7
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
I can't believe yall are preparing to drive your M2Cs in the snow.

If you can afford a spare set of wheels/tires, then you can afford a beater car to drive in the snow!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #8
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Not an M2 owner but have driven several winters now in my 1M with a dedicated set of snow wheels and tires and there are really 2 great options:

1) Michelin X-Ice 3
- Great in dry
- Excellent in snow and ice
- Good in warmer temperatures
- Quieter

2) Nokia's Hakkapeliitta R2
- Amazing in snow and ice
- OK in dry
- Poor in warmer temperatures
- Get very loud with more miles

I have owned both and as far as SNOW performance goes the Nokians are best. As far as an overall snow tire goes the Michelin's are far superior. in NYC/NJ winters we get a few really big storms and most of the winter consists of 30-50 degree wet/dry days and the x-ice 3 are far more suitable. The nokians are very soft tired and feel like you're driving on 3 pillows when it's 40+ degrees. Pricing is similar.
      08-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #9
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post

If you can afford a spare set of wheels/tires, then you can afford a beater car to drive in the snow!
Don't be silly. These cars are made to drive in the winter. "Be a man"! Life is too short to drive a beater.
doug_9992541.50
Cavpilot2k1023.00
No Boost4021.00
seis-speed2430.50
Spare°257.50
      08-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #10
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:

Don't be silly. These cars are made to drive in the winter. "Be a man"! Life is too short to drive a beater.
I get your comment, but I have a '17 Wrangler for snow time! Weeeeeee
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #11
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why? It barely snows in virginia...

The 1M has been great in winter with good tires; I'm assuming the M2C will be as good if not better...

I grew up in Michigan and in places like that or Minnesota I'd say a winter car might be needed if someone lives in a rural part of town but NJ/NYC winters are mild and Virginia winters are even milder...
      08-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #12
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The 1M has been great in winter with good tires; I'm assuming the M2C will be as good if not better...

I grew up in Michigan and in places like that or Minnesota I'd say a winter car might be needed if someone lives in a rural part of town but NJ/NYC winters are mild and Virginia winters are even milder...
I don't have the Jeep just for snow. I'm just saying that if it snows, that I would be taking that out and NOT my m2c.

Imo, it's a great combo to have...all 4 seasons covered along with most fun factor needs. (I also have a poor man's track car...little civic hatch back with a type r motor.)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #13
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't have the Jeep just for snow. I'm just saying that if it snows, that I would be taking that out and NOT my m2c.

Imo, it's a great combo to have...all 4 seasons covered along with most fun factor needs. (I also have a poor man's track car...little civic hatch back with a type r motor.)
If you say so..everyone's preferences are different.

I prefer to have one really kick ass, well sorted, well taken care of car for everything. I'm old school.
      08-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #14
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
dont sneeze too hard at beaters. they can be fun to drive. imagine having a shit civic you can throw your del taco wrappers in and not worry about until they pile up. or parking it in that one spot you'd never park your real car in, revving corvette's ironically, the list goes on!
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
StLuis51457.50
      08-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #15
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Question

Please tell me for a Canadian which snow tires i should get and also what wheels to get for winter?

Is it advisable to put snow tires on tbe 763m wheels and use those for winter?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:22 PM   #16
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Please tell me for a Canadian which snow tires i should get and also what wheels to get for winter?

Is it advisable to put snow tires on tbe 763m wheels and use those for winter?
Use the stock 788M wheels for winter and the 763M wheels for summer.
Appreciate 2
tke743738.50
doug_9992541.50
      08-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #17
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
It last snowed in Sydney June 28 1836 but my excitement waiting for this car leads me to read every thread and still be interested. Tragic.
Appreciate 7
cptobvious2531.50
chris7197331.50
Miata1387.00
randyt224.50
hz101171.00
seis-speed2430.50
      08-20-2018, 10:02 PM   #18
lbahoshy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2014 Carrera S, 2023 BMW M2

The Michelin Alpin Pa4 are great "performance" winter tires. I have them on my m235 and 911 and they are great in the dry also. As an all around great winter tire on a performance car, this is my pick! I run winter tires for about 5 months a year so I need tires that are performance oriented and are great in the dry as well as decent and confidence inspiring in the snow. I'll be getting these for my M2C when it arrives !

2014 911 Carrera S, Agate grey, black int, 7spd manual

2019 M2C, HKS, 6 spd Manual. (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 10:45 PM   #19
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
dont sneeze too hard at beaters. they can be fun to drive. imagine having a shit civic you can throw your del taco wrappers in and not worry about until they pile up. or parking it in that one spot you'd never park your real car in, revving corvette's ironically, the list goes on!
Not into the Del Taco wrappers but being able to park it anywhere or back your wheel and tire right into a curb is an underrated perk of a beater.

Appreciate 2
      08-21-2018, 02:16 AM   #20
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Hahahaz please get me a beater car for 700 EUR please.... We have to fit winter tires between November and March. It is not a choice, you have too!

MR
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50
      08-21-2018, 02:32 AM   #21
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastus View Post
I'm picking up mine in December (also NJ) and will be shipping a set of winter wheels/tires to the dealer prior to delivery so they can swap them out. My tire choice is the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II so that I can keep the stock size all around. A skinnier tire will help to cut through snow but I only need snow traction in emergency situations or if there's a light dusting during a commute to work; otherwise my only concern is having the proper rubber compound for lower temperatures.
I would possibly reconsider the Sottozero Serie II. They are not terrible, but a very old tire design at this point. They were replaced in Europe a long time ago and in the US at least a few years ago by the Sottozero 3. The problem, as you noticed, is that nothing else is available in the stock rear size.

My recommendation would be this - if you stay stock sizes and really don't drive when it snows much, consider Continental DWS06 all seasons instead. If you feel you need more winter capability, then go with 245 square or 245/255 and get the Michelin PA4 or Sottozero 3. You will get better dry and wet performance with the Contis and their compound will not be dangerous in cold weather like the summer tires are.

I have done some research into performance winter tires and the delta between that category and some of the better all-season tires are closer than you might think. Nokian figured out they can use their WR G3 / G4 to cover both categories. The true winter tires like X-Ice Xi3 and WS80 are much different.
Appreciate 4
plastus82.00
cptobvious2531.50
doug_9992541.50
Kief4428.00
      08-21-2018, 02:38 AM   #22
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

Yeah, but then you have to actually drive your beater for 1/3 of the year. Plus you still need at least all-season tires if you want to venture out on a clear day in the winter and not have ridiculously bad traction with summer tires.
Appreciate 1
Lucky1647.00