BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > 10k mile maintenance suggested at 6k?

03-30-2021, 11:22 AM   #1
emoowear
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 competition

10k mile maintenance suggested at 6k?

So I had to go into the dealer to have them fix a loose bolt on one of the hinges on the driver door side that was loose. While I was there, the SA suggested that I could have the 10k service done as well to "get it out of the way". I asked him if there would be any adverse effects doing it so early since the next service wouldn't be till a bit later. He said no.

Since I am roughly around 5.5k miles on it, my question is, should I be concerned that he was suggesting this service being done so early or is he correct that it doesn't matter if I got the service now at 5.5k or at 10k.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

The earlier the service is done, the earlier your service will come up, so your interval maintenance that YOU have to pay for will be sooner.

But my dealer did something similar that worked in my favor. My warranty is out in December, and with only 14K on the clock they agreed to do the plugs on the car, which I think is supposed to be at 20K, but with how little I drive the car I would have needed that service at the end of next year or later (and it would have been on my dime), so they did them early for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 01:03 PM   #3
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

If your car notified you of the service get it done..

Your service intervals are time AND/OR mileage based whichever comes first. Yearly or 10k. Regardless of which occurs you'll get the same number of maintenance items within your warranty.

Skip it and you'll void your warranty for not having service done when your car called for it. Choice is yours.

If your car hasn't reached either milestone then ignore the SA.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 02:50 PM   #4
emoowear
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 competition

Thanks guys. Yeah my indicator/ onscreen notifier still says I'm about 4K away from the next scheduled service.

Thanks again for the input!
Appreciate 0