BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Paint protection on M2C or not?

12-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #67
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I spoke to an experienced paint guy and he was actually against Xpel. He said that color of panels with vs. without Xpel will look different after few years when the Xpel is removed.

Also he said that sometimes the Xpel removal itself can damage the paint. That is something unpredictable.

Did anyone here experience the same?
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 10:25 PM   #68
twintiga
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
They got back to me and said they use a 3M product. I don't think they offer full protection anyway, so I believe i'll go with a 3rd party installer. Anyone know of good installers in the Concord, CA area?
A lot of Bay Area and Sac people use Appearance Solutions in Sacramento. Not far from Concord. I’ve had two of my cars wrap there and have been very satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:00 AM   #69
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
I spoke to an experienced paint guy and he was actually against Xpel. He said that color of panels with vs. without Xpel will look different after few years when the Xpel is removed.

Also he said that sometimes the Xpel removal itself can damage the paint. That is something unpredictable.

Nonsense...

Based on my experience, the only ways Xpel or essentially any quality PPF removal could damage paint is if installed on a poorly repainted panel without time for the (repainted) paint section to cure or the person removing the film does not know what they are doing (i.e. forcefully pulling the film from the panel). I have never heard of anyone complaining of paint color changing because of the film and know of many people who have had film removed after 10+ years after extensive tracking and countless hours in direct hot sun with no issues. Sounds like your experienced paint guy may not be experienced with PPF. It's not like what a vinyl front bra left on the car for years would do to paint. If you really have questions, contact Xpel, Scotchgard, or Suntek.

My previous 2010 GT3 had PPF removed after 8+ years and Xpel Ultimate installed. The paint was flawless beneath with no discoloration between panels.

Last edited by devo; 12-06-2018 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #70
Phantom_9192
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Just had mine done with Xpel and picked it up today. Will let you know if I run afoul of any issues.
Other than the fact it was pricey... ouch.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #71
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Quote:

Nonsense...

Based on my experience, the only ways Xpel or essentially any quality PPF removal could damage paint is if installed on a poorly repainted panel without time for the (repainted) paint section to cure or the person removing the film does not know what they are doing (i.e. forcefully pulling the film from the panel). I have never heard of anyone complaining of paint color changing because of the film and know of many people who have had film removed after 10+ years after extensive racking and countless hours in direct hot sun with no issues. Sounds like your experienced paint guy may not be experienced with PPF. It's not like what a vinyl front bra left on the car for years would do to paint. If you really have questions, contact Xpel, Scotchgard, or Suntek.

My previous 2010 GT3 had PPF removed after 8+ years and Xpel Ultimate installed. The paint was flawless beneath with no discoloration between panels.
Thanks!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 01:53 PM   #72
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I have just started looking in to this for when I get my HS M2C in March / April. One company is offering to wrap the roof of the car in black if I take the full coverage PPF option on my car. I know it's an expensive option, but I am planning on getting a lot of use from this car, including track days and road trips and it seems a sensible option if you can get past the cost. The thought of getting lots of stone chips on a brand new performance car just makes me wince!

Last edited by Karlosm2c; 12-06-2018 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #73
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintiga View Post
A lot of Bay Area and Sac people use Appearance Solutions in Sacramento. Not far from Concord. I’ve had two of my cars wrap there and have been very satisfied.
Good to know. I've been in contact with Michael from Appearance Solutions but haven't heard back on a quote for the M2. Do you know what kind of prices he was quoting for the M2 full wrap?

I'm actually in Sacramento so that's the most convenient, but I'm picking up the car in Concord. So I was just seeing if it made more sense to have that done in Concord before I hit the highway and bring it home.
      12-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #74
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

I got quoted 3k for full front(headlights, hood, infront of wheel panel, bumper), full doors, rear quarter panel and A pillar(the thing that swings up, its a fairly substantial piece.

I'm going forward with that, its 3M Scotchguard Pro.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 04:08 PM   #75
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
I got quoted 3k for full front(headlights, hood, infront of wheel panel, bumper), full doors, rear quarter panel and A pillar(the thing that swings up, its a fairly substantial piece.

When you write "in front of wheel panel" do you mean a partial piece on the front fenders and / or hood?

The price actually seems cheap if you are having full hood, full fenders (no partial pieces on hood or fenders, you will regret), front bumper, doors and full rear quarters which include the 'A' pillars.

Be sure to add rocker panel / door sill kit. That rockers will get destroyed as well.

As long as the installer has good references and is qualified...
      12-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #76
Abrunho
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I’m picking up the M2C tomorrow, after a week at the local PPF installers (they were the only alternative available in the Azores ). Mine was their first full PPF installation with Xpel (I got offered what I think was a fair deal -cost-wise- and over the phone they seemed quite happy with the final result but I anticipate I’ll end up finding some little issues / things I’d have done differently).
As I’ve read in the forums, the previous experience/ quality of the installers is the most important variable in getting a good result with PPF... (wish me luck)
Attached Images

Last edited by Abrunho; 12-06-2018 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 05:09 PM   #77
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
When you write "in front of wheel panel" do you mean a partial piece on the front fenders and / or hood?

The price actually seems cheap if you are having full hood, full fenders (no partial pieces on hood or fenders, you will regret), front bumper, doors and full rear quarters which include the 'A' pillars.

Be sure to add rocker panel / door sill kit. That rockers will get destroyed as well.

As long as the installer has good references and is qualified...
Yeah I've been going to this guy FOREVER for all my tinting needs.

Yes full hood, full fenders(no partials), front bumper, doors, full rear quarter.

10 year warranty and I have never had an issue there, they have good reviews so :shrug: If its awful i'll be there every week fixing it (god I hope not)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 09:22 PM   #78
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post

$3k seems reasonable for full doors and rear quarter, along with the usual full front.

These days, with 2 kids, I'm all about less paint maintenance as possible. I've considered a full car ppf wrap, but paying $5-6k for this is hard to stomach.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #79
justalexio
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyE12345 View Post
Agreed, it’s completely subjective. To be fair the thread started as a “ do you feel like paint protection is worth it?” It’s just me throwing my opinion out there, I try to be careful and I say things like “I feel” or “from my point of view”.

Is paint protection worth it for me? I’ll keep the money (especially if we are talking 6k) and bring on the rock chips!
I can budget out $2K to $3K max. I will not be spending $6K but some people do.
If you haven't already had ppf installed, drive on up to Costa Mesa. From looking at your quote I can tell you for sure we can beat that pricing, using the same film, making sure all your edges and corners are wrapped. 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 12:03 PM   #80
neurostrokemd
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C 2020 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalexio View Post
If you haven't already had ppf installed, drive on up to Costa Mesa. From looking at your quote I can tell you for sure we can beat that pricing, using the same film, making sure all your edges and corners are wrapped. 👍🏼
Where in Costa Mesa. I’m actively asking for quotes for my 2-day old
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #81
justalexio
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurostrokemd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalexio View Post
Where in Costa Mesa. I’m actively asking for quotes for my 2-day old
Oh perfect! The sooner the better. Near Lamborghini Newport Beach, about 2 lights east.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #82
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Anyone here planning to add clear bra (paint protection) on their M2C?

I'm thinking to do it but not sure if it is worth it or if it will lead to other issues that I'm unaware of.

Thanks!
It's absolutely essential! Not even a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Get it on the full front end and have them replace the rear fender piece with a bigger one from the door edge to the crease above it to the bumper/tail light.
This is exactly what I'm planning to do. I'm also doing mirrors and rocker panels.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 12:39 AM   #83
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Searching!

Does anyone have examples of how the factory pieces were extended? I was planning on full bumper, hood, headlights, mirrors. Possibly rocker panels, how much coverage did people get behind the rear wheels?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 07:24 AM   #84
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

Quote:

That can happen with any film, but takes many many many years. If you ceramic coat the remainder of the car, it will protect against UV rays and keep the colour from fading. Your car will get riddled with rock chips without the ppf and that’s aesthetically worse than any potential fading in a decade.

Removing any ppf can damage paint, but it really only tends to happen on non OEM paint jobs. Many companies offer 5-10 year warranties on the film but only if the car isn’t repainted for that reason.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #85
Slyphen
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
if you buy any car brand new, or even a used car and if it has impeccable paint, why would you not protect it! i suppose it would be different if its a daily beater that you can give 2 shits about.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #86
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Did it on my 17 M2, decided to save 2k and skip it on my 19 M2C, unless you drive a lot of highway with big trucks kicking up rocks or on gravel/country roads I don't think it's really that big of a deal. You certainly won't get any of the money back when you go to sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 10:10 AM   #87
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.boost View Post
Quote:

That can happen with any film, but takes many many many years. If you ceramic coat the remainder of the car, it will protect against UV rays and keep the colour from fading. Your car will get riddled with rock chips without the ppf and that's aesthetically worse than any potential fading in a decade.

Removing any ppf can damage paint, but it really only tends to happen on non OEM paint jobs. Many companies offer 5-10 year warranties on the film but only if the car isn't repainted for that reason.
You can put Xpel on non-OEM paint job too. The main thing is to wait for few months for paint to completely harden before Xpel application. Most people put Xpel quickly after a re-paint.

Same thing with new car, if you put Xpel on a brand new built car the next day, you will likely peel the paint too. However most of the time the car is around 3-6 months away from production when it reaches the buyer. By that time paint is already cooked and safe for Xpel.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #88
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I had Xpel applied to the front of my car as well as the rockers and rear bumper. There are already some scars on the headlights film from rocks that would have been big scratches without Xpel. Some witch tried to parallel park behind my car and managed to perforate the rear bumper film with her license plate bolts in 3 places. I was sick about it. I decided that the annoyance of looking at it every day was too much so I had the bumper rewrapped. Now it is perfect again. Without the PPF I would have had 3 nasty scratches on my bumper that PPF could never cover up. If a person is maticulus about their car then PPF is a must.
Appreciate 1