BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > So It Begins!!! My New M2C(S) Project [Update on Weight Reduction]

11-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #111
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I don't think the lack of exhaust note inside the cabin (once ASD is off) has much to do with the sound insulation for this specific case. Both M2 and M2C already have minimal sound insulation (I couldn't find the link but even BMW mentioned it in their press releases). I think main problem is the exhaust itself and me coming from an M4 with MPE. I believe even an axle back (such as MPE) would easily fix this problem. I'm planning to get AA midpipe when it's released for M2C and combine it with some axle back (stock, MPE, Remus etc).
I totally agree - I love the tone of our OG M2's exhaust, but it is not loud enough for me. I wish it had ~25% more volume. Do you think the M2C is around the same volume as the OG M2?

My F80 ZCP (no MPE for me unfortunately) is definitely louder than the M2, but I wish it also made more sound overall. I think I am ruined forever...my 981 CS was pretty voluminous.
      11-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #112
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post

More pics please!!!
Here's a recent pic that I took. The car was pretty filthy tho due to the much needed rain that we have been getting in the past week.
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
dmboone254972.00
yawn56.50
Guydj151.00
Poochie9104.50
cptobvious2531.50
mikeahso411.50
Robin_NL8717.00
Tag18147.50
      11-27-2018, 03:53 PM   #113
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Here's a recent pic that I took. The car was pretty filthy tho due to the much needed rain that we have been getting in the past week.
Amazing how HS looks in different views - almost a bluish hue to this one - nice!
Appreciate 2
M-Pilot4859.00
dmboone254972.00
      11-27-2018, 03:55 PM   #114
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:
After several months of waiting, the day finally arrived couple days ago and I picked up my 2019 M2C 6MT in Hockenheim Silver. The wait was definitely not easy and I came really close to going on a different route couple times (more on this later). In 2015, when I heard that M2 was coming, I was super excited. Pretty much called more than 60 dealers to put my name down with MSRP pricing. I secured a #1 spot on a local dealer and ordered and OG M2 in March 2016. Later on after seeing some dyno results, track tests, and other reviews I thought it was a great car but couple heat soaking reports at track or even at dyno runs as well as the limited tuning capability due to the maxed out N55 drove me away from my decision. I got a killer deal on a M4 ZCP lease and never looked back. Long story short, even though I loved every minute of my M4 and had several amazing track days with it, I've always had a soft spot for the M2. When I heard that S55 could make its way into the M2, I was thrilled. So my M2 journey begun (again ). Ordered my car in June, transferred my M4 lease in July and picked up the M2C on Wednesday. Couple months ago I was about to pull the trigger on a 2018 Imola Red F80 ZCP with an amazing lease deal again but couldn't really do it. As I said, M2 has always been in my head and if I had gotten the F80, I might have seriously regretted cancelling my M2C order. In fact, after driving 500 miles on the delivery day from the dealer in SoCal to Bay Area, I was so happy with my decision. Here are my brief impressions (especially compared to my old 2016 M4 ZCP):

Steering
I don't know what they did with the steering but this was the very first thing I noticed. Only drove in Comfort steering but it's just so good compared to my M4. It's not light or artificially heavy. There is finally some feedback from the road. Let me be clear, I'm not super sensitive about steering feedback so usually don't notice slight improvements on already crappy EPS of BMW. However, M2C steering feel is noticeably better than my M4. Just to mention, I coded M4 CS and GTS as well as F87 CS (On E-sys M2C is/was referred as CS) steering and none of felt this way. So I'm pleasantly surprised. I know the part numbers etc are the same but it's hard to believe this is just software.

Engine
I just felt home from the get go. Already a huge fan of S55 so no surprises for me as I'm pretty familiar with it already. So far keeping it below 4-4.5K RPM for break-in but up to 4-5K RPM power delivery is great. This might be just my butt dyno however the car pulls just as strong as my M4. I'm planning to do a more detailed comparison after the break in service on the engine output.

Handling
I already took it to some back roads without pushing the car too much and not exceeding 4K RPM. Handling is superb and the turn-in is much more immediate, sharper than my lowered (on springs only) M4 with track alignment. The size fo the car finally feels just right. It immediately puts a smile on your face.

Exhaust
It sounds really good if you are outside behind the car. Sorry guys but this is probably my biggest disappointment. Not in terms of the sound quality but in terms of how loud it is or how easily you can hear it. When I turn off ASD, I barely hear my exhaust in the cabin (even in Sport+). I'm coming from an M4 ZCP with MPE so it probably explains a lot but I expected something louder especially after reading comments on how loud it can get. In my M4 with windows completely up, I could hear the exhaust and pops/crackles very clearly in the car. This car needs an exhaust definitely IMO (for both sound and cosmetic reasons).

Transmission
Another interesting topic. Before starting with my comments on the transmission, I should mention that I bought a 2001 Miata after I let go my M4 and been driving it for the past couple months. The MT in Miata is light years ahead of BMW's MT in terms feel. It's just that good. M2's 6MT is pretty much the same as the 6MT in my M4 and still pretty good but not amazing unfortunately. I haven't noticed any difference compared to my M4 negative or positive. I just wish there was a way to swap the transmission from my Miata to M2C. I can hear some of you guys saying "that's exactly why I chose DCT" You guys have a valid point but I still do love rowing my own gears even if the transmission isn't best in its class. Also, didn't really want to pay $3K extra for DCT

Seats and Seating Position
I must also mention the seating position and the seats. I might be in the minority here but I like M4 ZCP seats better and they felt more comfortable to me. Also the seating position feels higher than my M4. I always adjust my seat to the lowest possible position and tilt the seat bottom to have more like a bucket seat experience and did the same thing on M2C too. However, it just feels like I'm sitting slightly higher than I was in the M4 ZCP.

Dealer Experience (Rallye BMW)
For those who are still looking for an M2C or any other BMW, I would like to give a brief review on my experience throughout this whole process as well:

Even though I live in Bay Area, CA; I got my car from Rallye BMW in NY. F85Matt (Matt) referred me to one of the best Client Advisors I have met so far. I contacted slalomfever (George) probably in February and we have been in touch regarding this car since then. He not only fulfilled all my small requests regarding ordering, delivery etc but also went above and beyond in pretty much everything. Even though I was tracking the car based on my production# and what I hear from BMW genius, George was giving me updates whenever there is something new about my order. On top of this, he was very patient with my countless emails and always got back to me with an answer in no time. You might think there is nothing extraordinary here but these days it's very difficult to find client advisors like Matt or George. Not to mention, both of them have been receiving "M Sales Awards" on an annual basis In my opinion, car buying is special experience and a great CA can make this experience well-wroth it for you. I highly recommend both Matt (Knauz BMW) and George Javier (Rallye BMW) if you are looking for a new BMW.

These are my initial impressions after my 500 mile drive and I'll put together a more detailed review once I complete the break-in service. If you noticed, the title says my "M2C(S) project". I'm planning to transform this car as much as I can to improve some areas that need attention IMO such as weight reduction, better exhaust, M4 CS map, some M Performance parts etc. Hopefully eventually I'll end up building my own version of M2 CS

The car is currently in the shop and getting parts installed. Here's the initial list of parts for the first phase of the project:

- 763M wheels
- Essex AP Racing BBK
- Ohlins Coilovers with GC Camber Plates
- BMC Air Filters (charcoal filters removed)
- M Performance V2 Steering wheel
- CF mirror caps, spoiler, and diffuser
- BM3 CS map (after break-in service)
- Exhaust (still waiting for more options to show up so timing is TBD)

I'll post more pics when I pick up my car from the shop but for now please enjoy this recent pic I took after installing my CF mirror caps and IND painted front reflectors

Update - 11/10/18

Got the car back today and the guys at PerformanceTechnic did an amazing job! They installed my Essex AP Racing BBK, Ohlins R&T, 763M wheels and some other minor stuff. Suspension needs to be dialed in little more and the ride height needs some tweaks but I'm quite with the end result.

Here's the big news. I did a before and after weight comparison with full tank As you can see from the pics below, it weighed 3563lbs before and 3494lbs after the mods. So I shaved off ~70lbs unsprung weight. I have been saying this car has so much potential to reduce weight and this is just the beginning for me. Next step is an exhaust system for me and planning drop another 30+lbs

Before:

After:

Update - 11/11/18

Installed my M Performance spoiler and painted my muffler. Really liking the new overall look.

P.S. Don't mind the weird ride height. Rear is lower than what I'd prefer and front sits at a good level. Everything will be readjusted once it settles little more.

The manual gearbox is like a steam engine. Its old and dead.
Let's see what you get on final weight.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8717.00
      11-27-2018, 04:09 PM   #115
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yawn View Post
Quote:
Amazing how HS looks in different views - almost a bluish hue to this one - nice!
It really is a very dynamic color. When I took it to the shop the next day after delivery, everybody was blown away by the color and how it changes depending on the lighting. My M4 was Sakhir Orange so I thought HS was would be a bit underwhelming for me and I wasn't also sure if I wanted silver in general. I tried to change my order to AW the day before the car went into production but couldn't (production had already been started). When I first saw it out in the sun on delivery day, I was so glad that my color change request didn't go through. I love HS so far.
Appreciate 1
yawn56.50
      11-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #116
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostriderf80 View Post
It's old but not dead (yet). In any case, what's more important to me is the fun factor not how much faster I can shift. DCT and the new ZF8 are both amazing transmissions and I'd love to take advantage of them especially at my track days but I do enjoy MT more and find it more fun in pretty much every situation including heavy traffic (which is a big pain point for many). Yes, my shifts would probably be faster, smoother with DCT and I could focus more on driving than shifting but at the end of the day I'm not a pro racer. Doesn't matter if I'm driving on the street or on a track... It's all for fun and the experience for me. I also find a perfectly executed rev-match or heel toe downshift extremely satisfying and rewarding. Again, both DCT and the new ZF8 are superior transmissions to the MT, no denying that. I might have given the DCT a try if it was a no-cost option but there is no way I'm paying $3K extra for it while 6MT is free.
Appreciate 7
Racer201029.50
Poochie9104.50
cptobvious2531.50
mhanism277.00
Shekels89.50
      11-27-2018, 06:35 PM   #117
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
It's old but not dead (yet). In any case, what's more important to me is the fun factor not how much faster I can shift. DCT and the new ZF8 are both amazing transmissions and I'd love to take advantage of them especially at my track days but I do enjoy MT more and find it more fun in pretty much every situation including heavy traffic (which is a big pain point for many). Yes, my shifts would probably be faster, smoother with DCT and I could focus more on driving than shifting but at the end of the day I'm not a pro racer. Doesn't matter if I'm driving on the street or on a track... It's all for fun and the experience for me. I also find a perfectly executed rev-match or heel toe downshift extremely satisfying and rewarding. Again, both DCT and the new ZF8 are superior transmissions to the MT, no denying that. I might have given the DCT a try if it was a no-cost option but there is no way I'm paying $3K extra for it while 6MT is free.
Don't listen to the naysayers and thanks for voting with your wallet and opting for the manual, whatever your reason..

They'll be a lot of time for an auto transmission when electric engines take over..

And they are coming; "BMW Vision" program states that ALL BMWs will have an electric, self-driving technology by 2030..

So enjoy that stick to clutch, while you still can..

https://www.motortrend.com/news/bmw-...iving-machine/
Appreciate 4
M-Pilot4859.00
Pilot-Z174.50
IM2C2066.50
      11-27-2018, 10:10 PM   #118
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Awesome. Do you have a list of which parts shaved some lbs? That would be helpful
      11-27-2018, 10:18 PM   #119
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
Awesome. Do you have a list of which parts shaved some lbs? That would be helpful
About 18lbs from wheels and the rest is from the BBK.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 11:30 PM   #120
john_luvbimmer
Private First Class
China
Rep
Drives: 520i (F10)

Garage List
2014 BMW 520i  [9.00]
M2C is a make-you-say-wow thing.
Thanks for sharing the photos.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      11-28-2018, 12:27 AM   #121
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Phenomenal write up, thank you for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 01:36 AM   #122
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Fair enough. I was like you, then discovered dct. I got sick of manual it in heavy traffic and you compare it to a Mazda having a better gear box in terms of feel.

Anyhow this is minor stuff above, like who likes gravy on their pizza.

Tells us about the OHLINS what type set up.
I can only assume you corner balanced it. Feel etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 02:17 AM   #123
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I just hate how DCT owners feel the need to justify their purchased by bashing the (free) manual option.

No one is debating that a DCT or modern automatic can shift faster than a human but a machine can likely get your girl to climax faster than any human can and I don't see anyone looking to... replace themselves... in that department.

If dealing with a clutch in traffic, bad knee or non-manual driving mate is an issue, then fine, I get that. But just say that, don't tell me that the auto is more fun because it's technologically superior or makes you a more focus driver

Buying a BMW M car over something like an Mercedes or Audi is about driving pleasure and I for one wouldn't want to dull that experience with an automatically controlled gearbox.. Yes, I know, you have 'manual' paddle shifters..

Automobiles are becoming neutered as is, I don't to add to that..
Appreciate 3
      11-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #124
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Fair enough. I was like you, then discovered dct. I got sick of manual it in heavy traffic and you compare it to a Mazda having a better gear box in terms of feel.

Anyhow this is minor stuff above, like who likes gravy on their pizza.

Tells us about the OHLINS what type set up.
I can only assume you corner balanced it. Feel etc.
I went with Ohlins recommended spring rates which are quite high. So I was a bit worried about the ride quality initially. However, when installed correctly (I'll mention below), Ohlins ride quality really good. I think it's stiffer than stock even with a softer damper setting but I'm happy with it. My M4 had Macht Schnell lowering springs on the adaptive suspension and the ride quality was just horrible. It was too harsh over bumps or road imperfections while not providing any significant handling improvement.

The shop I went with initially adjust the ride height by changing the spring preload instead of using the separate height adjuster. The car was so off balance and I had to take it back in. After reading several forums and consulting with others, I asked them to put everything back to what Ohlins set out of the box. So currently both spring prelod and height adjuster at their default positions (about 1" drop I believe compared to stock). The car immediately felt so different. With these settings, it's so much more planted and not jumpy anymore (the issue I had after the incorrect install the first time). I'm running 15 clicks all around from the full stiff and already loving the improved cornering. However, as I said, ride got slightly stiffer compared to stock but still very comfortable by my standards.

The car currently only has a specific alignment to my liking. It's not corner balanced yet because I'm still trying to dial in the suspension in terms of height adjustments etc. Before my first track day (probably in 2019), I'll get it corner balanced, height adjusted along with a more aggressive track alignment.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #125
cpvince
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2016 X5 M Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Today I installed my M Performance spoiler and painted my muffler (thanks cptobvious for encouraging me ). Really liking the new overall look.

P.S. Don't mind the weird ride height. Rear is lower than what I'd prefer and front sits at a good level. Everything will be readjusted once it settles little more.
Your car's really coming along, man! Oracle parking lot?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 12:15 PM   #126
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I went with Ohlins recommended spring rates which are quite high. So I was a bit worried about the ride quality initially. However, when installed correctly (I'll mention below), Ohlins ride quality really good. I think it's stiffer than stock even with a softer damper setting but I'm happy with it. My M4 had Macht Schnell lowering springs on the adaptive suspension and the ride quality was just horrible. It was too harsh over bumps or road imperfections while not providing any significant handling improvement.

The shop I went with initially adjust the ride height by changing the spring preload instead of using the separate height adjuster. The car was so off balance and I had to take it back in. After reading several forums and consulting with others, I asked them to put everything back to what Ohlins set out of the box. So currently both spring prelod and height adjuster at their default positions (about 1" drop I believe compared to stock). The car immediately felt so different. With these settings, it's so much more planted and not jumpy anymore (the issue I had after the incorrect install the first time). I'm running 15 clicks all around from the full stiff and already loving the improved cornering. However, as I said, ride got slightly stiffer compared to stock but still very comfortable by my standards.

The car currently only has a specific alignment to my liking. It's not corner balanced yet because I'm still trying to dial in the suspension in terms of height adjustments etc. Before my first track day (probably in 2019), I'll get it corner balanced, height adjusted along with a more aggressive track alignment.
Corner balancing will change heights as well. It is something you need to do with alignment and not at separate times. DO NOT delay as it really makes the car handle so much better than you could have ever imagined. ITS A must like fuel is for your car to run.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      11-28-2018, 12:42 PM   #127
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Corner balancing will change heights as well. It is something you need to do with alignment and not at separate times. DO NOT delay as it really makes the car handle so much better than you could have ever imagined. ITS A must like fuel is for your car to run.
That's what I said. I currently have a custom alignment without corner balancing. I will be getting a custom track alignment along with corner balancing later this year or early January. There are couple reasons why I didn't and couldn't get the corner balancing (aside from dialing in the suspension). The incorrect install the first time and the time it took to put back to stock setting (1 full day) was kinda disappointing for me. I know how important corner balancing is especially for the track and this time I want to avoid the headache that I had experienced for the Ohlins setup initially.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #128
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Quote:
I don't think the lack of exhaust note inside the cabin (once ASD is off) has much to do with the sound insulation for this specific case. Both M2 and M2C already have minimal sound insulation (I couldn't find the link but even BMW mentioned it in their press releases). I think main problem is the exhaust itself and me coming from an M4 with MPE. I believe even an axle back (such as MPE) would easily fix this problem. I'm planning to get AA midpipe when it's released for M2C and combine it with some axle back (stock, MPE, Remus etc).
I totally agree - I love the tone of our OG M2's exhaust, but it is not loud enough for me. I wish it had ~25% more volume. Do you think the M2C is around the same volume as the OG M2?

My F80 ZCP (no MPE for me unfortunately) is definitely louder than the M2, but I wish it also made more sound overall. I think I am ruined forever...my 981 CS was pretty voluminous.
I think it's louder than stock OG M2 but again, it's not loud enough for me
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00
      11-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #129
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpvince View Post
Quote:
Today I installed my M Performance spoiler and painted my muffler (thanks cptobvious for encouraging me ). Really liking the new overall look.

Thanks! Yes, how do you know?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 01:10 PM   #130
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

Love the direction you're going with the car and happy belated!
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      11-28-2018, 10:23 PM   #131
cpvince
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2016 X5 M Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpvince View Post
Quote:

Thanks! Yes, how do you know?
I took some pics of my buddy's 997 there seven or eight years ago...Back when I had more free time haha. Spent about half a day wandering the grounds and shooting in various locations.

I should probably try to get back into photography. Maybe it'll be next year's resolution 😊
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
M-Pilot4859.00
Ftpohyeah285.00
      11-29-2018, 09:05 PM   #132
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Weight

3379.6 lbs - adjusted for fuel - so with an empty tank, that's what my 2017 M2 weighs.

M4 GTS carbon seats
Comp Motorsport Roll Bar
Comp Motorsport Rear Seat Delete Kit
Fall Line fire extinguisher
Ohlins R&T
Vorschlag Camber Plates
Dinan FMIC
Schroth 6pt Harnesses
Wheel Studs
6MT
Attached Images

Appreciate 5