BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 to M2C

10-19-2018, 10:27 PM   #67
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

I'm actually going through this debate right now.
I've been planning on getting an M2C via ED next year for some time.
But the more I keep reading, it seems like the advantage of the M2C really comes through on the track. I'm looking for a DD Street car. I don't track. The M240 is a non-starter - just too numb and sterile compared to my tuned 135, which I prefer to the M240. I drove an OG M2 and loved it even though it was DCT and I'm a MT guy through and through.
So I'm really debating on paying a premium for the C, to which I'll have to unmediated add an aftermarket exhaust (probably AA), adding to that price premium; or, looking for a new or lightly used OG, which, especially if tuned, would probably be more than enough for my DD/street/non-track driving.
Or would I always wish I had gotten the stronger engine and M buttons and all that?

Given my use case, I welcome opinions.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 01:50 AM   #68
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
But the more I keep reading, it seems like the advantage of the M2C really comes through on the track. I'm looking for a DD Street car. I don't track. The M240 is a non-starter - just too numb and sterile compared to my tuned 135, which I prefer to the M240. I drove an OG M2 and loved it even though it was DCT and I'm a MT guy through and through.
So I'm really debating on paying a premium for the C, to which I'll have to unmediated add an aftermarket exhaust (probably AA), adding to that price premium; or, looking for a new or lightly used OG, which, especially if tuned, would probably be more than enough for my DD/street/non-track driving.
Or would I always wish I had gotten the stronger engine and M buttons and all that?

Get the C the extra power on the street is fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 02:47 AM   #69
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Get the C the extra power on the street is fun.
For $15K more and a tenth of a second less 0 - 60? And he won't be tracking the car?

I don't get it.

There are 2 things that I like better in the C vs. the OG and those are the seats and the mirrors.

Worse? The wheels (these are OMG bad imo) and entire front end.

I put a $1500 Dinan Stage 1 tune on my car and it is probably just as fast as the C now.

I guess the debate continues.

Last edited by tranck; 10-20-2018 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #70
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Sounds like you'd be throwing away money on the C over the OG M2 in your specific case.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #71
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranck View Post
For $15K more and a tenth of a second less 0 - 60? And he won't be tracking the car?

I don't get it.

There are 2 things that I like better in the C vs. the OG and those are the seats and the mirrors.

Worse? The wheels (these are OMG bad imo) and entire front end.

I put a $1500 Dinan Stage 1 tune on my car and it is probably just as fast as the C now.

I guess the debate continues.
No way your dinan stage 1 is anywhere near a m2c. Your car dynos 360 whp and a stock m2c dynos 405 whp which is the same as a Dinan stage 4 big turbo setup.

That’s stock for stock, tune the m2c and its another 100 whp difference.

0-60 Both cars are traction limited, look at 1/4 mile trap or 0-100. The midrange punch on the street will be way better with the s55.

The difference also shouldn’t be 15k. It only cost me 11k to upgrade from a 2017 with 9k miles (Trade in) to 19 M2c same config.

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 10-20-2018 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8717.00
TripleU170.00
      10-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #72
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
No way your dinan stage 1 is anywhere near a m2c. Your car dynos 360 whp and a stock m2c dynos 405 whp which is the same as a Dinan stage 4 big turbo setup.

That’s stock for stock, tune the m2c and its another 100 whp difference.

0-60 Both cars are traction limited, look at 1/4 mile trap or 0-100. The midrange punch on the street will be way better with the s55.

The difference also shouldn’t be 15k. It only cost me 11k to upgrade from a 2017 with 9k miles (Trade in) to 19 M2c same config.
Your horse power figures are way off. You quoted engine hp not whp. Whp is 15 to 20% less.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #73
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
He's in Boston. I lived in Boston. I'm trying to figure out where he's going to enjoy 0-100 runs anywhere in Massachusetts that isn't on a track. Maybe he can enjoy all that midrange punch on Storrow Drive, then we can start a GoFundMe to send him cookies and comic books in jail. If we know he's not tracking the car, and he's in Boston to boot, talking about whether it's 370 or 400HP and trap times is like priests having a dick measuring contest, i.e. what's the point?
Appreciate 2
MR_M2519.00
Cavpilot2k1023.00
      10-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #74
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

Sorry i havent read thru any of the pages except this one. But here are my two cents. I've been looking for an OG M2 at around a 6-7% discount and finally found the dealer that was willing to accomodate. I was set on the OG M2. However i decided to do a last minute drive of the competition just to make sure i really wanted the M2. Here is what i found.

The M2C is MUCH faster. Not just at the track. Anything above 3k, the power difference is very noticeable. Until about 2700 revs the N55 has more torque but the S55 really comes on and pulls hard to 7500 redline. Even highway pulls and normal spirited driving the M2C is much much faster.

M2C has a better ride quality and i have no idea why. It's smoother on bad pavements.

M2C also has a better feeling steering. I'm sure this is just software calibration changes which can be done to the OG M2 since the hardware is the same.

I could not tell the difference in brakes because i didnt have enough chances to work the brakes in the streets and freeways i drove in.

I could not tell the weight difference. Perhaps because of the carbon strut brace and how everything is a little more tighter feeling in the M2C, but handling was sublime and car felt light on its feet just like the OG M2.

This is my takeaway. The new engine, seats, mirrors, carbon strut brace, better brakes, configurable M1 and M2 settings, and other upgrades in the minor tuning of the car is worth the extra you pay in the M2C. Hell the engine alone is worth 10k extra, considering that you can get 50 whp easy from just tuning the S55, whereas the N55 is already maxed out.

I was set on the OG M2. But now i am 100% going for the M2C. It really is an amazing car. OG M2 is also an amazing car, but after driving the M2C i cannot go back to the OG. Hope this helped.
Appreciate 3
tranck500.50
Robin_NL8717.00
Davil6523.00
      10-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #75
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Haiii View Post
...the N55 is already maxed out.
The turbo is (almost) maxed out, not the N55 itself. This is an all too common misconception on these forums.
Appreciate 3
Robin_NL8717.00
qnet681.50
      10-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #76
Craig335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d Shadow Edition Xdrive

If you have the cash and care about having the newest (with the longest warranty) and bestest (be it by 1% or 100% is down to opinion), then go for M2C.

If you don’t have the cash or care about those things, get the OG M2.

Either way it’s a good car you are getting.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #77
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Sorry i havent read thru any of the pages except this one. But here are my two cents. I've been looking for an OG M2 at around a 6-7% discount and finally found the dealer that was willing to accomodate. I was set on the OG M2. However i decided to do a last minute drive of the competition just to make sure i really wanted the M2. Here is what i found.

The M2C is MUCH faster. Not just at the track. Anything above 3k, the power difference is very noticeable. Until about 2700 revs the N55 has more torque but the S55 really comes on and pulls hard to 7500 redline. Even highway pulls and normal spirited driving the M2C is much much faster.

M2C has a better ride quality and i have no idea why. It's smoother on bad pavements.

M2C also has a better feeling steering. I'm sure this is just software calibration changes which can be done to the OG M2 since the hardware is the same.

I could not tell the difference in brakes because i didnt have enough chances to work the brakes in the streets and freeways i drove in.

I could not tell the weight difference. Perhaps because of the carbon strut brace and how everything is a little more tighter feeling in the M2C, but handling was sublime and car felt light on its feet just like the OG M2.

This is my takeaway. The new engine, seats, mirrors, carbon strut brace, better brakes, configurable M1 and M2 settings, and other upgrades in the minor tuning of the car is worth the extra you pay in the M2C. Hell the engine alone is worth 10k extra, considering that you can get 50 whp easy from just tuning the S55, whereas the N55 is already maxed out.

I was set on the OG M2. But now i am 100% going for the M2C. It really is an amazing car. OG M2 is also an amazing car, but after driving the M2C i cannot go back to the OG. Hope this helped.
I just want to point out that you're making a lot of claims that are based on limited driving time in each vehicle rather than fact.

And the OG M2 is a bit castrated from the factory, adding a downpipe and tune can really open it up and make up for the seat of the pants difference most people compare the M2 and M2C to. Which is good enough for 99% of people, especially if they aren't trying to shave off 1/10ths of a second per lap on an actual track.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #78
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

Where did they let you test drive a m2c and take it to 7600 rpm?
Appreciate 1
qnet681.50
      10-20-2018, 02:17 PM   #79
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Quote:
He's in Boston. I lived in Boston. I'm trying to figure out where he's going to enjoy 0-100 runs anywhere in Massachusetts that isn't on a track. Maybe he can enjoy all that midrange punch on Storrow Drive, then we can start a GoFundMe to send him cookies and comic books in jail. If we know he's not tracking the car, and he's in Boston to boot, talking about whether it's 370 or 400HP and trap times is like priests having a dick measuring contest, i.e. what's the point?
Well I'm not actually IN Boston. I'm on the south shore, so I do occasionally get runs up to 100+ on Rt 3 and a few other places. Usually at night on pre-scouted roads.

But I don't track and don't plan to. Just a fun car for spirited road driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #80
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:

I don't doubt the C is an amazing car, but it's not without its cons as well, for my specific usage plans.
I didn't mention earlier that this will be a year-round daily driver.

As I see it, here are my pros and cons on the C:
Pro:
- Programmable M buttons
- Better punch in the upper RPM range
- Front parking sensors
- Improved steering (though the OG can probably be tuned to match)

Con:
- The brakes. The upgraded brakes will only be of any benefit on the track, so for me they are a big minus. They add a ton more weight and they prevent the use of 18" winter wheels.
- the weight. It may handle as well or better on a track, but those extra pounds will detract from the Bible es and tossability.
- the sound. It can be fixed with an aftermarket exhaust, or at least a mid pipe to mix the exhaust impulses (I'd probably get AA's signature exhaust).
- Higher cost. Just how much is a big variable based on OGs on the market when I'm ready to pull the trigger next spring, but the addition of around $3k in exhaust as pretty much mandatory has to be factored in.

There are a bunch of things to which I am indifferent, like the seats and especially the mirrors. I don't understand why people make such a fuss over the mirror, like it's not a proper M car without a certain type of mirror? Give me a break.

I know the N55 well, as I currently drive a modified 135 (and have been for 6.5 years).

I also have some concerns about the long-term reliability of the S55 and the cost to maintain it out of warranty. You can say it's bulletproof all you want, but the fact is, the more complex a system gets (like the S55 over the N55), the more likely something is to fail and the more expensive it is likely to be when it does. The S55 simply has more parts to go bad.

Anyway, I'm going to reevaluate in the spring. It would be silly to get either right now going into the New England winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #81
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Your horse power figures are way off. You quoted engine hp not whp. Whp is 15 to 20% less.
No they aren’t. A stock N55 dynos around 330 rwhp on a dynojet. A stage 1 Dinan m2 dynos around 360 whp.

A stock m2 comp dynos 405 rwhp on a dynojet. A tuned s55 can hit 500 rwhp on a dynojet.
Appreciate 2
M-Pilot4859.00
Robin_NL8717.00
      10-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #82
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Well I'm not actually IN Boston. I'm on the south shore, so I do occasionally get runs up to 100+ on Rt 3 and a few other places. Usually at night on pre-scouted roads.

You liking the idea of Betts at 2nd base in the series? Pretty interesting if Cora puts him there to keep Martinez in the lineup in the NL park.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #83
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Quote:

You liking the idea of Betts at 2nd base in the series? Pretty interesting if Cora puts him there to keep Martinez in the lineup in the NL park.
I think it's brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #84
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

One thing that might also help make my decision, which will seem silly to some, is if they bring more colors out for MY 2020. I really want MGM. Black is the only color I would get for the C of those currently available.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 12:26 AM   #85
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:

Spot on, and I did not have limited driving time like many 'testers' here, mine is in for break in servince this monday. M2C is just way faster than OG M2 I had.

If you do not like faster and more power/torque for any kind of reason, just get the already great OG M2. That's a blast as well.

Point is 500Nm(M2) vs 600Nm(M2C) in real life is a lot.

Each to their own off course.

Cheers
Robin

Last edited by Robin_NL; 10-21-2018 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 2
Romo1755.50
O Haiii191.50
      10-21-2018, 12:28 AM   #86
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
No they aren’t. A stock N55 dynos around 330 rwhp on a dynojet. A stage 1 Dinan m2 dynos around 360 whp.

A stock m2 comp dynos 405 rwhp on a dynojet. A tuned s55 can hit 500 rwhp on a dynojet.
This. Think about it. N55 singleturbo is too small. Bottleneck--->limpmode and stuff.

But as a daily it's more than fine, but hard driving it is not(in my case)

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 12:33 AM   #87
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

And if you're only looking at 0-60 times with 0.1s difference between the two and that's about it and want to discuss that, we can better discuss the physical differences between Scarlett Johansson & Margot Robbie. Suits me better.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #88
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
This. Think about it. N55 singleturbo is too small. Bottleneck--->limpmode and stuff.

But as a daily it's more than fine, but hard driving it is not(in my case)

Cheers
Robin
Even for daily the difference in mid range punch is huge. The huge rush of torque from a tuned s55 is awesome on the street for 30-60 mph passing or getting onto a highway on-ramp.
Appreciate 0