BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > ► APEX | Developing M2 Specific Track Wheels

Closed Thread

05-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

► APEX | Developing M2 Specific Track Wheels

Since its launch, we’ve been receiving inquiries from M2 owners searching for the ideal wheel fitment to use at the track. It quickly became clear that the right fitment was not available unless you commissioned custom wheels. The goal of this thread is to help measure if there is enough demand to warrant producing M2 specific track wheels.

Although the M2 shares many components with the M3/M4, fender clearances are very different. Unique offsets are required to get an ideal fitment. There are a number of wheels intended for other BMW applications that are promoted by vendors, but those fitments present a compromise. They're too conservative or aggressive in either width or offset. If they're too aggressive then wide tires won't clear, forcing a downsize in tire width or substantial rubbing. If they're too conservative then space is squandered, limiting grip, track width, or require spacers for strut clearance.

At launch, we were hoping our 18x11" ET44 wheel intended for the F8X M3/M4 would fit the rear of the M2. Unfortunately, the M2 has less inner clearance to work with, and it didn't fit well. Since then we've been working with multiple partners who've helped us test a wide range of wheels and tires on the track.

Our ideal M2 fitment

An 18x10.5" ET40 wheel for the rear that can properly support 285, 295 or even 305 tires, and an 18x9.5" ET28 wheel for the front that can properly support 265 or 275 tires. The two wheels allow for either a staggered 9.5"/10.5" or 9.5" square fitment depending on the driver's preferences.

With the recent launch of two new stronger/lighter designs, we've modeled out both the SM-10 and FL-5 to see what they'd look like installed. Weights would range from 20-21 pounds depending on size/design.

Since the M2 is a limited production model we could only make this unique fitment available in one of the two designs. We need your feedback and help to pick the design, and confirm if this is a project we should commit to.

Why 9.5” ET28?

We already offer 18x9.5” wheels in 22, 35, 43, and 58mm variants, yet we still wanted to add a 5th. Current M2 owners use our 35mm offset wheel but they sit too close to the suspension to be considered a perfect fitment for the front. When paired with 265 or 275 tires, especially track oriented compounds which have a tendency to run wide, owners are forced to run spacers up front for proper inner strut clearance. By reducing the offset to ET28, our proposed wheel gains 7mm extra inner clearance, avoiding the need for 5mm spacers that aren’t hub centric. Yes, running these wheels up front will still require dialing in negative camber, but negative camber is needed for 265 and 275 tires anyway. Negative camber is extremely desirable for any track day enthusiast and is a key ingredient in any properly setup track car.

Why 10.5” ET40?

Enthusiasts attempting to put power down coming out of a corner need a wider tire and a wheel to support it. A 10.5” wheel with the appropriate offset can properly fit a 285, 295 and even 305 tires within the M2’s rear arches without the rubbing issues caused by 3 series offsets. The extra ½” of width this 10.5” wheel provides over the stock M2 rear wheel is evenly dispersed, extending the wheel 6mm both inward and outward. For those looking to maintain the car’s factory balance, the 1” stagger is restored when paired with the 9.5” front wheels.

Square or Staggered. Which is the right fitment for me?

For those of you racking your brains on this popular debate, let me start off by saying there is no right answer. Both fitments provide drivers with pros and cons. Factors like how you use your car, desired tire specifications, driving styles, budget, and power output help define which route is best for your personal needs.

In short, a square fitment will help mitigate understeer as well as dramatically reduce the seasonal tire budget through the ability to rotate any corner. Square fitments promote a very balanced handling experience where enthusiasts can channel their M2’s inner go-kart. If you like a car that turns in on command, and respect that a 275 r-compound is already great at this car’s power level then square is the way to go.

By going with a staggered fitment, you can maximize both wheel and tire width all around. This ultimately creates the largest contact patch we can, with the goal of putting as much power to the ground as possible. A staggered fitment costs more to own because the wheels and tires initially cost more, and most-of-all you can’t rotate anything. You can only dismount tires and flip them on the wheel which is also costly. If drivers are not consumed by the consumable costs of tires (you see what I did there?), and they upped the power on their N55 through tuning etc., then running more tire out back may be the key to quicker lap times.

Recommended Staggered Fitment

Wheel Specifications:
Front Wheel Size: 18x9.5” ET28
Rear Wheel Size: 18x10.5” ET40
Note: The front will require negative camber to fit

Tire Configuration 1:
Front Tire Size: 265/35-18
Rear Tire Size: 285/35-18

Tire Configuration 2:
Front Tire Size: 275/35-18
Rear Tire Size: 295/35-18

Tire Configuration 3:
Front Tire Size: 275/35-18
Rear Tire Size: 305/35-18

Staggered FL-5 & SM-10 Images

Recommended Square Fitment

Wheel Specifications:
Front & Rear Wheel Size: 18x9.5” ET28
Note: The front will require negative camber to fit

Tire Configuration 1:
Front & Rear Tire Size: 265/35-18

Tire Configuration 2:
Front & Rear Tire Size: 275/35-18

Square FL-5 & SM-10 Images

Last edited by ApexWheels; 07-26-2017 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

I would be interested in the FL5 10.5 rear.
Appreciate 1
ApexWheels1417.00
      05-16-2017, 04:47 AM   #3
aarodynamics
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2/08 M3/15 Golf R/20 GT4

SM-10
Front 9.5" ET28
Rear 10.5" ET40
Satin Black

Count me in.

I love this look:

I'd take FL-5 if that's the direction everyone votes, but prefer the SM-10

Last edited by aarodynamics; 05-16-2017 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 2
ApexWheels1417.00
specka71.00
      05-16-2017, 07:27 AM   #4
TimOudin
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I'd do either wheel, though if forced to choose then SM-10!
      05-16-2017, 09:15 AM   #5
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Any straight on side view pictures?

Vote for FL-5.

Why 18" vs. 19"
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #6
aarodynamics
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2/08 M3/15 Golf R/20 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post

Vote for FL-5.

Why 18" vs. 19"
18s are all that is needed to clear the brakes. Also, they weigh less and track tires more affordable.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
ApexWheels
Rep

Appreciate everyones feedback thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post

Vote for FL-5.

Why 18" vs. 19"
Thank you for your interest. At APEX, our driving force is to equip the performance driving community with quality, lightweight wheels tailored to each specific chassis, ensuring proper fitment while maximizing the fender space at hand.

Incorporating this mindset, when we first release a new design or fitment for a specific chassis, our goal first and foremost is to provide track / performance driving enthusiasts with cost effective solutions which offer up maximum performance. There are a host of benefits with 18" wheels as many of you know:
  • Reducing weight / rotational mass which has a dramatic effect on performance overall
  • More tire sidewall equates to a more comfortable ride quality as well as better rim protection
  • More tire options (this is evolving over time however)
  • Cheaper tire options which leads to cheaper seasonal running costs

With brakes increasing in size from the factory, not all wheel manufactures offer 18" wheels that can clear properly. These two new APEX designs were constructed specifically to accommodate the large factory brakes as well as a variety of massive aftermarket BBK's like the Brembo 6 piston 380mm kit.

We understand that the first release may not please everyone. Once we have released wheels for this specific segment of the market, we always have the option of following up with alternate diameters and sizing should their be enough demand from the community.

- Ryan

Last edited by ApexWheels; 05-16-2017 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Wheels look great! Wish I could change wheels on the cars as often I change shoes on my feet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexRaceParts View Post
  • Reducing weight / rotational mass which has a dramatic effect on performance overall
Since the 18" tires weigh more this isn't really as big of a benefit as it sounds looking at wheel weight. A Michelin PSS 265/40R18 weighs 2 lbs more than the 265/35R19 as an example. Probably quite close to the weight savings of the wheel.
Appreciate 1
omasou2079.50
      05-16-2017, 01:14 PM   #9
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Appreciate everyones feedback thus far.

Thank you for your interest. At APEX, our driving force is to equip the performance driving community with quality, lightweight wheels tailored to each specific chassis, ensuring proper fitment while maximizing the fender space at hand.

Incorporating this mindset, when we first release a new design or fitment for a specific chassis, our goal first and foremost is to provide track / performance driving enthusiasts...
  • More tire sidewall equates to a more comfortable ride quality as well as better rim protection
- Ryan
I had thought bigger would be better b/c the there would be less sidewall to flex additionally ride quality would be a street trait not track trait, right?

Not trying to knock you, only to understand...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 01:45 PM   #10
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
Since the 18" tires weigh more this isn't really as big of a benefit as it sounds looking at wheel weight. A Michelin PSS 265/40R18 weighs 2 lbs more than the 265/35R19 as an example. Probably quite close to the weight savings of the wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou
I had thought bigger would be better b/c the there would be less sidewall to flex additionally ride quality would be a street trait not track trait, right?

Not trying to knock you, only to understand...
Good question.

That's not always the case. More typically an 18" tire in the same size will weigh less than the 19" counterpart. Just looking at Tirerack's site for various tires a car would use on the track, I'm seeing a lot of the opposite too. Track/Race tires are often manufactured a bit differently than street tires.

If we looked at the following example:

20 lb 18" wheel + 25 lb 18" tire = 45 lbs assembly

vs.

22 lb 19" wheel + 23 lb 19" tire = 45 lbs assembly

It's rare a 19" setup would be lighter/equal to the 18" counterpart, but when it happens the 18" option is almost always still my preference for everything but the rarest use cases. There are lengthy tech articles that go into explaining why. I remember Grassroots Motorsports Magazine doing this specific testing for example.

In summary, the sidewall stiffness is only measurably faster in very rapid slalom runs typically only found on an autocross course. More typically, that faster slalom performance is offset by heavier wheels/tires. On a road course, you aren't weaving like that. As mentioned before, 19" wheels are more expensive and the tires are also more expensive, and availability in track sizing goes down for both.

Look at various BMW's that are competitive in autocross, club racing, time trials... almost never will you see a 19" wheel being used. instead, sidewalls will get taller. The sidewall stiffness of performance tires are already stiff, and you want some compliance in the tire to act as part of the spring rate.

Another way to gut check this logic is to ask "why not 20" track wheels?" or "why not 21" track wheels?". The benefits just aren't there.
      05-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #11
Paul2x
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CS, GT3, Macan, Tesla

Car looks awfully familiar!
Great job Apex!!
Shot an email to Brian.

Looks great!!

Thanks
Appreciate 1
ApexWheels1417.00
      05-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #12
jnoyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BSM M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2x View Post
Car looks awfully familiar!
Great job Apex!!
Shot an email to Brian.

Looks great!!

Thanks
Vote for FL-5. Any chance you guys would do an 18 x 10 ET40 so I could pair with your existing 18 x 9 ET30 and stay in stock/street class with SCCA and BMW CCA autocross?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #13
ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoyes View Post
Vote for FL-5. Any chance you guys would do an 18 x 10 ET40 so I could pair with your existing 18 x 9 ET30 and stay in stock/street class with SCCA and BMW CCA autocross?
Appreciate your vote!

Due to the small size of the M2 community, it would be difficult to cultivate enough demand to warrant production on an 18x10" ET40 "stock" fitment.

Stock class limitations are always a bit difficult to work with, however if I am not mistaken don't the rules allow you to be within 7mm of the stock offset? If so, we have the EC-7 18x9" ET31 / 18x10" ET33 fitment which is already a popular option for the M2.

- Ryan
      05-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #14
jnoyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BSM M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoyes View Post
Appreciate your vote!

Due to the small size of the M2 community, it would be difficult to cultivate enough demand to warrant production on an 18x10" ET40 "stock" fitment.

Stock class limitations are always a bit difficult to work with, however if I am not mistaken don't the rules allow you to be within 7mm of the stock offset? If so, we have the EC-7 18x10" ET33 wheel which is already a popular option for the M2.

- Ryan
They do allow that. Yep, the ET33 would work. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
ApexWheels1417.00
      05-18-2017, 11:09 AM   #15
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

Interested. SM-10

In general. what is faster? square setup or staggered?

Last edited by Jevi Javi; 05-18-2017 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
ApexWheels1417.00
      05-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #16
ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
Interested. SM-10

In general. what is faster? square setup or staggered?
That is a hefty question that can only be supported by data when isolating driver, a specific vehicle, track location, conditions, tire type etc. There are too many variables at play to make a general statement. This may help answer some of your questions:

Square or Staggered. Which is the right fitment for me?

For those of you racking your brains on this popular debate, let me start off by saying there is no right answer. Both fitments provide drivers with pros and cons. Factors like how you use your car, desired tire specifications, driving styles, budget, and power output help define which route is best for your personal needs.

In short, a square fitment will help mitigate understeer as well as dramatically reduce the seasonal tire budget through the ability to rotate any corner. Square fitments promote a very balanced handling experience where enthusiasts can channel their M2’s inner go-kart. If you like a car that turns in on command, and respect that a 275 r-compound is already great at this car’s power level then square is the way to go.

By going with a staggered fitment, you can maximize both wheel and tire width all around. This ultimately creates the largest contact patch we can, with the goal of putting as much power to the ground as possible. A staggered fitment costs more to own because the wheels and tires initially cost more, and most-of-all you can’t rotate anything. You can only dismount tires and flip them on the wheel which is also costly. If drivers are not consumed by the consumable costs of tires (you see what I did there?), and they upped the power on their N55 through tuning etc., then running more tire out back may be the key to quicker lap times.
      05-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #17
ApexWheels
Rep

05-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #18
leecarrera
Rep
Drives: M2

I prefer the FL-5 over the SM-10. I think it has a better look and will be easier to clean. Ultimately which ever style is produced proper fitment on the M2 becomes paramount.
Appreciate 1
ApexWheels1417.00
      05-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #19
GVN*2FLY
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘16 GT4|‘22 X3MC

I've held out on track wheels hoping for you guys to come through with a specific design for the M2. Was close to pulling the trigger on EC7s.

FL-5 Square set up for me in satin black.

Ready to order as soon as you make 'em!
Appreciate 1
ApexWheels1417.00
      05-19-2017, 08:49 PM   #20
element241
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

SM-10s in staggered fitment would be an insta-buy for me.

EC-7s would be my top choice, but SM-10s are a close second. Personally, I'm not a fan of the lip on the FL-5s.
2015 F80 M3 - MG/SO - DCT - Exec Pkg - EDC (sold)
2014 F22 M235i - AW/Black - 6MT - Premium Pkg - Tech Pkg (sold)

Last edited by element241; 05-19-2017 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
ApexWheels1417.00
      05-21-2017, 12:15 AM   #21
ex12psi
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

take my money NOW!
Appreciate 1
ApexWheels1417.00
      05-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #22
Mr 2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Appreciate your vote!

Stock class limitations are always a bit difficult to work with, however if I am not mistaken don't the rules allow you to be within 7mm of the stock offset? If so, we have the EC-7 18x9" ET31 / 18x10" ET33 fitment which is already a popular option for the M2.

- Ryan
Does that mean the EC-7 18x9" ET31 / 18x10" ET33 can be used on an M2 and keep the stock classing even though it comes with 19s standard?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread