BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Rear quarter panel plastic film – tell me why I shouldn’t remove it

04-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #45
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M+M View Post
distracted by the yellow brembo calipers and rotors. But I like Akkando's solution.
Me too. As I posted originally, mine is AW too and this thread has convinced me to replace the factory film because it is yellowing (after only six months); I just hope that Xpel doesn't yellow. It's also important to wrap that rear section (red on Akkando's pic; number 3 on yours) all the way down to the bottom because that area at the bottom right behind the rear wheel is where you are going to get stone chips. I'm really careful and only have 4000 miles on mine and that is the only area of the entire car that has any rash / chips... and not from doing burn-outs on gravel!
      04-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #46
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
Me too. As I posted originally, mine is AW too and this thread has convinced me to replace the factory film because it is yellowing (after only six months); I just hope that Xpel doesn't yellow. It's also important to wrap that rear section (red on Akkando's pic; number 3 on yours) all the way down to the bottom because that area at the bottom right behind the rear wheel is where you are going to get stone chips. I'm really careful and only have 4000 miles on mine and that is the only area of the entire car that has any rash / chips... and not from doing burn-outs on gravel!
It shouldn't yellow. If you're really concerned about the look you could consider suntek instead. Some people say it's even harder to see than xpel. Some people say it's about the same. Generally cheaper to install because it's easier to work with.
Appreciate 1
M+M226.50
      04-29-2017, 05:27 PM   #47
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Or you could throw some Rallyarmor flaps on the front and rear arches...
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #48
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Or you could throw some Rallyarmor flaps on the front and rear arches...
This ain't no Subaru
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #49
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Sure, but what is more ugly? Some mudflaps down next to the wheels in a logical place, or slapping film all over the sides / front of wheel arches?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 12:35 AM   #50
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Sure, but what is more ugly? Some mudflaps down next to the wheels in a logical place, or slapping film all over the sides / front of wheel arches?
Mudflaps.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 06:45 AM   #51
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

OP....better question is: Why would you want to remove it?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 03:45 AM   #52
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
OP....better question is: Why would you want to remove it?
Um... see the first post in this thread.
      05-02-2017, 06:08 AM   #53
51fifty
Enlisted Member
Rep

I see a lot of talk regarding Xpel on here. Has anyone compared it to 3M Scotchgard Pro before making their decision? I plan on getting protective film and am currently in the research stage. So far 3M is in the lead for me based on video reviews I've seen. They're probably all very close to each other but id like to hear from people who already went down that road.

Last edited by 51fifty; 05-02-2017 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 06:25 AM   #54
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Um... see the first post in this thread.
Yet another reason AW should be abolished.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #55
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51fifty View Post
I see a lot of talk regarding Xpel on here. Has anyone compared it to 3M Scotchgard Pro before making their decision? I plan on getting protective film and am currently in the research stage. So far 3M is in the lead for me based on video reviews I've seen. They're probably all very close to each other but id like to hear from people who already went down that road.
In what ways do you think Scotchgard Pro is superior to Xpel? Suntek seems to probably have more clarity than Xpel, and it's easier to install so it's generally cheaper to have applied. Seems like people believe Xpel protects the car better though. What are the pros and cons for Scotchgard Pro?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 02:47 PM   #56
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
Yet another reason AW should be abolished.
That's mean.

AW forever... in spite of yellowing rear quarter panel film.
      06-07-2017, 02:34 PM   #57
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All of you above, thanks so much for the advice. I was convinced I should remove the factory film - but that was only half the answer. I'm now convinced that I should (and will) remove it, but replace it with XPEL (there is a reputable installer near me in CT). If I'm still unhappy with that, I can always remove it later. In the meantime, while I'm not obsessive about avoiding every possible mark on the paint, this does seem like a reasonable thing to do given the design of that rear quarter panel.

This is what I love about this forum... folks are generous with their time and care about helping others solve problems.
... So, I was out of the country for six weeks and just got around to visiting a local shop that installs film. They were pushing Llumar (?) but would do Xpel if I wanted. I had decided I would replace the rear quarter panel film that comes on the car from the factory, and do the front bumper as well. However, I've decided NOT to do any film at all, not to replace the factory stuff and not to do the bumper. When I visited the shop today, they showed me an M3 they had done. Believe it or not, I've never had a close look at a car with film applied other than my own M2 and the factory application on the rear panels. I didn't realize that for the front bumper there will be cuts and spaces where the film wraps around tight curves (and you all know there are several of those on the front bumper of the M2), spaces around the grills and roundel, and that it doesn't wrap around the edges of the bumper but rather is cut and wrapped up to about 1/8 inch from the edge. So, I'm looking at the front bumper of this M3 and there are lines and edges of the film all over the place. In my opinion, it looks real ugly. I've decided I'd rather keep a coat of wax on the bumper and live with whatever stone chips I get. I'll be careful about how closely I follow other cars and cross my fingers. For now I'm going to live with the factory film on the rear quarter panels but it may have to come off if the yellow gets worse.
Patina vs ugly plastic with edges all over the place. The choice for me was simple.
BTW, it was going to cost me $550 just to do the front bumper. NFW!
      06-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #58
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Cheaper to pay for film than it is to respray the car later... but yeah the edges can get on some peoples' nerves.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #59
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
... So, I was out of the country for six weeks and just got around to visiting a local shop that installs film. They were pushing Llumar (?) but would do Xpel if I wanted. I had decided I would replace the rear quarter panel film that comes on the car from the factory, and do the front bumper as well. However, I've decided NOT to do any film at all, not to replace the factory stuff and not to do the bumper. When I visited the shop today, they showed me an M3 they had done. Believe it or not, I've never had a close look at a car with film applied other than my own M2 and the factory application on the rear panels. I didn't realize that for the front bumper there will be cuts and spaces where the film wraps around tight curves (and you all know there are several of those on the front bumper of the M2), spaces around the grills and roundel, and that it doesn't wrap around the edges of the bumper but rather is cut and wrapped up to about 1/8 inch from the edge. So, I'm looking at the front bumper of this M3 and there are lines and edges of the film all over the place. In my opinion, it looks real ugly. I've decided I'd rather keep a coat of wax on the bumper and live with whatever stone chips I get. I'll be careful about how closely I follow other cars and cross my fingers. For now I'm going to live with the factory film on the rear quarter panels but it may have to come off if the yellow gets worse.
Patina vs ugly plastic with edges all over the place. The choice for me was simple.
BTW, it was going to cost me $550 just to do the front bumper. NFW!
They must have done something wrong. My car has XPEL and it's really difficult to notice it. Front bumper has no creases, cuts, or anything. Hood, doors, etc. all have been wrapped around to the inside.

I would look for another installer.
Appreciate 0