BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW M3/M4 F8X Carbon Fiber Strut Mod on the BMW M2

01-22-2020, 11:31 AM   #133
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Would love to know if the TMS CF "boomerang braces" fit with oem CFRP retrofitted to OG M2....

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...corner-braces/

Need to wait until March until these are available...
Not sure why you'd need both braces. But doesn't seem like it'd, since they both use the same front mounting holes. Looks like that combo would be too thick to close the hood.

Good find though. These are cheaper, lighter, and stiffer than the RPK braces. And retain easy access to the air filter, unlike the BMW carbon brace.

But unsure which is stiffer or stiff enough between the BMW brace and that one.
I think looking at the front attachment of TMS CF parts, I'd position oem CFRP brace onto cross link panel then position these onto top and bolt thru.

Should remove issues of higher profile CFRP u brace clashing with underside of the hood.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 01:55 PM   #134
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Not sure why you'd need both braces. But doesn't seem like it'd, since they both use the same front mounting holes. Looks like that combo would be too thick to close the hood.

Good find though. These are cheaper, lighter, and stiffer than the RPK braces. And retain easy access to the air filter, unlike the BMW carbon brace.

But unsure which is stiffer or stiff enough between the BMW brace and that one.
Pretty definitely the BMW item given the cross-section. But, if anyone is just looking to dress the engine bay a bit, the others also look nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #135
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Got my brace installed will do pics soon.

Anyone got the part number for the rubber cover that goes over the top mount and reinforcement gasket area?

My brace is mounted on too of the existing ones, I had a look and there 'may' be a new tint scuff to the CF at the Landing plate that wasn't there before, not sure as the brace was bought used off a wrecked M4.

Shirt of putting loads of blutac on top and seeing if it get compressed not sure how to know if it's rubbing.

As for cornering haven't been able to go for a real drive yet, just boring cornering.

I wonder if slightly more of the road texture is transmitted through the steering wheel. And the whole car feels slightly more linked up front to rear.

I'll know more on a spirited drive.

Looks great though
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 07:22 AM   #136
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Pics:

Ok few things to comment on having just gone on a proper drive:

One of the first things I noticed and I didn't go out focusing on this as thought it would all be in the steering.

To me the car feels more unified across the chassis but also the suspension. The car is subtly more settled than it was before, enough for me to notice when as I said I wasn't looking for it.

I think there is incrementally more road texture through the steering wheel.
The car felt like it responded to lines in the road more, I had to do slightly more than usual to pilot the car on some sections. But I'm not being alarmist, its just a slight thing I noticed.

In terms of cornering I would just say that the car feels like its more on rails round a corner, that it doesn't push on as much as before.

It's all nicely subtle but it does do something on a spirited drive.

Onto another issue it does appear new marks are coming up on the brace, so its definately rubbing under the bonnet/hood. Also the the right of the bonnet as you look at it it sometimes doesn't shut if you don't throw the bonnet down right so seems there is a high point there?

Now apart from cosmetics I am worried the CF being a soft material may eventually get eaten away by vibration against the hood so am in two minds to get the garage who fitted it to just remove the stock front corner braces so it can lie flat on the landing plate.

Thoughts?

P.S. @Mfifty Do you have the part number for the M3/4 strupt top covers? The ones that completely enclose the top mount area? Ta

Last edited by 3t3p; 02-03-2020 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #137
JonD
Major
Rep
Drives: 1 Series Coupe, M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Pics:

One of the first things I noticed and I didn't go out focusing on this as thought it would all be in the steering.

To me the car feels more unified across the chassis but also the suspension. The car is subtly more settled than it was before, enough for me to notice when as I said I wasn't looking for it.

The car felt like it responded to lines in the road more, I had to do slightly more than usual to pilot the car on some sections. But I'm not being alarmist, its just a slight thing I noticed.

In terms of cornering I would just say that the car feels like its more on rails round a corner, that it doesn't push on as much as before.

Onto another issue it does appear new marks are coming up on the brace, so its definately rubbing under the bonnet/hood. Also the the right of the bonnet as you look at it it sometimes doesn't shut if you don't throw the bonnet down right so seems there is a high point there?

Now apart from cosmetics I am worried the CF being a soft material may eventually get eaten away by vibration against the hood so am in two minds to get the garage who fitted it to just remove the stock front corner braces so it can lie flat on the landing plate.

Thoughts?

P.S. @Mfifty Do you have the part number for the M3/4 strupt top covers? The ones that completely enclose the top mount area? Ta
Where is it rubbing? I notice you still have the original corner braces, M2C doesn’t have them, if you remove them I imagine the brace will sit lower.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #138
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonD View Post
Where is it rubbing? I notice you still have the original corner braces, M2C doesn’t have them, if you remove them I imagine the brace will sit lower.
He could even cut them around these yellow lines. If I do this mod, that would be what I'd do.

Appreciate 1
dtmurf480.00
      02-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #139
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Multiple rub points as far as I can see, one at the foremost aspect of the brace by the bonnet latch and some scratches showing up on the right of the brace as you look at it in photos, about 1/3rd to 1/2 way along.

Yeh the stock braces would need to be removed ala M2C or cut.

I'll see how much stock ones are before cutting them, BP has a similar plan I believe.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #140
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Multiple rub points as far as I can see, one at the foremost aspect of the brace by the bonnet latch and some scratches showing up on the right of the brace as you look at it in photos, about 1/3rd to 1/2 way along.

Yeh the stock braces would need to be removed ala M2C or cut.

I'll see how much stock ones are before cutting them, BP has a similar plan I believe.
They're ~$40 each.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 03:50 PM   #141
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Can't be that cheap!?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 04:41 PM   #142
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Can't be that cheap!?
They are.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/51647301929/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/51647301930/
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:02 AM   #143
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

So they are even in UK! Crazy it's same as a plastic part of trim in the engine bay! Thanks for that.

Might ask my garage to give them the chop or just remove them for now and put them back in later.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 01:23 PM   #144
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Pics:

Thoughts?

As you have the reinforcement rings fitted, the M3/M4 items are the ones to go for (the ones for the M2C might not fit). Have a look at Part No. 3 here:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_2197
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #145
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Thanks M Fifty but I already have those do I not?

I thought there is an additional rubber cap/cover that goes over the lot?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #146
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Based on comparing your pictures with mine - you don't? Mine have ribs and press pins that fix them to the alloy brace. Those on the M2C look like they would fit over the whole lot, but I've yet to try them.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #147
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Pics of the M2C items taken during a visit to Cotswold:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 03:55 PM   #148
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

God knows what part I ordered then. I see yours is all integrated in your photos, thanks.

I'll just leave it then.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #149
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Pics of the M2C items taken during a visit to Cotswold:
These rubber covers fit over m3/4 strut tower reinforcement rings

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 06:12 PM   #150
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
These rubber covers fit over m3/4 strut tower reinforcement rings
So I'm not going mad?!

I can't work out the part number
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 09:06 PM   #151
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So I'm not going mad?!

I can't work out the part number
I'm really confused, can you explain what's going on? Is it that the M2C and the M3/4 use different rubber covers because they use different reinforcement rings? That you purchased the M2C ones, but they do not fit because you have the M3/4 rings?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 04:12 PM   #152
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

The reinforcement rings are visible on my retrofit. They are from an M4.

Mfifty has either something additional to the engine seal part of a different top mount seal part that covers the reinforcement ring.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 07:31 PM   #153
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The reinforcement rings are visible on my retrofit. They are from an M4.

Mfifty has either something additional to the engine seal part of a different top mount seal part that covers the reinforcement ring.
In your pictures... are those the M2 covers, the M2C covers, or the M3/4 covers?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 07:10 PM   #154
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

I think I've got M2C ones but I'll have to check.

Took the steel stock front braces out today. Will drive around a bit without them in see if anything can be noticed.

Know how to modify them now to get them back in if I want.

Overall really liking the brace in the car, it for sure improves it.

Heavy braking too the car is a lot more settled than before where I had slight loss of confidence in it.
Appreciate 0