BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Anyone trading their 1M for a M2?

02-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #45
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
WOW, that is just amazing!!!

Look those pics, that awesome scenery HMOG......

Can you keep me informed and posted?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #46
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Please get a Macan. That was actually up there with my choice for the M2, but seeing as I have no children/need for an SUV at the moment, I decided against it.
While I like the Macan, its a bit lower on the my list as we have a Q5 (awesome car by the way). I think the Macan would make the ideal Q5 replacement in a couple of years if I can keep my wife away from an Lexus LX/GX .... she loves the boxy-ness.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #47
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
While I like the Macan, its a bit lower on the my list as we have a Q5 (awesome car by the way). I think the Macan would make the ideal Q5 replacement in a couple of years if I can keep my wife away from an Lexus LX/GX .... she loves the boxy-ness.

lol.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #48
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
I had an Elise for 2 years. It gets mad attention unless you're in LA where people have seen them for years. I'm in a smaller city of about 140k and it got really annoying. It's like Lambo level attention. They are great cars though, but ZERO nannies. I did a DE day in pouring rain and it was pretty sketchy. I did loop it that day.
My 1M actually gets lots of attention (when its clean -> BSM), especially since I live in a college town/wealthy area. There are actually a handful of Elise's around, most of them are not in bright colors though.

Love the idea of the Elise here (I live 7 minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive ) as it doesn't have the shear power of the 1M and likely feels faster at legal speeds...
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #49
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
WOW, that is just amazing!!!

Look those pics, that awesome scenery HMOG......

Can you keep me informed and posted?
Yeah, for sure. Maybe post in the thread so that Dackelone can see it, too.
      02-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #50
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
One day, former 1 M owners, who traded it in for an M2 or another car, will regret their decision just like E46 M3 owners.
Funny you would say that since I miss my E46 M3 much more than I miss my 1M. It was just a better car.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #51
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post
Funny you would say that since I miss my E46 M3 much more than I miss my 1M. It was just a better car.
You went from an E46M to a 1 M and now you have a base 228i?
      02-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #52
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Sold my 1M awhile ago with the intentions of getting the M2. Also had two E46 M3's and a Mini GP.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #53
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Lol....well that's a bit of an experiment I'm conducting

I went from an E36 M3 to a E46 M3 to the 1M. I work for a BMW dealer so I get to drive a new car for free but I picked a super base 228i to drive for a while so I could get a feel for the chassis that the M2 is going to be based on. The 2 Series' inherent balance is apparent even on the 228i which makes me very optimistic for the M2

I modded the hell out of my 1M but the one thing it really needed I could not buy for it...a longer wheelbase!

I drive all my cars with the electronic nannies disabled except in the rain. To me that's the only way to actually "feel" the car. The other way around you're just driving a software package.

The E46 M3 taught me to trust it. The 1M taught me the opposite. I'm hoping the M2 will be more like the former than the latter

Last edited by Die ///M Rakete; 02-18-2016 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #54
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

It's the 1M - the only reason to trade it in is if it has high miles.

If it has low miles - keep it. I go nuts every time i see one, they are unicorns on the road.
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2016, 01:35 AM   #55
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
It's the 1M - the only reason to trade it in is if it has high miles.

If it has low miles - keep it. I go nuts every time i see one, they are unicorns on the road.
I've never seen one except mine. I drove it today for the first time in a while because it got up to 50 degrees. Forgot how fun it was and the VO paint!!! Anyway, I took it to pick up my daughter from preschool and when I looked back I couldn't believe how awesome it looked. The rear arches were huge and being nestled in between all the mini-vans it just looked right.

I am hoping the M2 arches also look huge in the flesh. Some pics they do and some they don't. I am also getting white so it might hide some of the size of the arches but you should still be able to see them from the front/front quarter view.

BTW, my 1M just rolled over 30k miles.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 05:17 AM   #56
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
If they fix the traction control issue and mirror M2 steering dynamics with the F80, an M3 will be my next car once I am done with the M2. Hopefully I don't turn into a complete asshole like the rest of the F80 drivers I've seen/come across.
Hey!! I'm hurt!!
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 3
      02-20-2016, 05:44 AM   #57
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Hey!! I'm hurt!!
Your reaction is the way to go, thanks for that mate. Humor solves a lot of issues(irl and on the net)

But @ Verbiage, I unfortunately cannot disagree, the majority of the M3/4 drivers vs M2 discussing overthere don't act very friendly, they act arrogantly and like douchebags. I know they aren't irl. I have driven an M4 DCT. I loved it I loved it. The pointing in, the sheer urge of the (over)power(ed) engine. Wow a great package.

But it wasn't as nimble as my former E46 M3 let alone my current 1M(I also had an E90 M3 6MT, a pig....)

Anyway, i do respect the M3/4. More than a lot. But the M2 certainly wont be its lesser/disabled little brother. And that's what I'm reading a lot through the ( indirect) words from many M3/4 drivers unfortunately...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2016, 05:49 AM   #58
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo
Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
There is no question that the m2 is going to be supremely awesome in every way.

With that said I think once the new car bluster/hype dies down in a year the true attributes of the 1m vs m2 will be more clear.

Just like every other bmw it will be EXX > FXX when it comes to handling and driver involvement. But if you need a supreme dct or absolute top end power go with the FXX.

For that reason I would keep the 1m. But again that takes nothing away from the m2 which will be superb
I wouldn't go so far to say the M2 is supremely awesome in every way. It'll outperform the 1M for sure, but from the reviews it doesn't possess the Jekyll and Hyde character of the 1M that makes it so fun to drive.
You didn't cast your vote ....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 05:59 AM   #59
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed
The M2 will undoubtedly be more refined than my 1M but with my mods probably no faster and maybe not as fun at the track. IMO the M2 is not improved enough over the 1M to consider switching. I would also miss the VO color.
M2 is hugely improved.

You'll see !

Said the E36 owner to the E30 owner....

I remain unconvinced that an E36 is a better car than an E30 M3. I never felt that way from the beginning and I watched the E36 come out, then drove it, and then drove friends cars and for another decade i kept my E30 M3 and watched the E46 M3 come out and it didn't impress either.

I feel the same about 1M and M2. Yes the newer car ( in both generations ) might perform better but it's nowhere near as fun a car. I haven't seen a review yet that proclaims the M2 as a car that's more fun to drive than the 1M.

A new warranty is a nice " consolation prize" though !
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2016, 06:08 AM   #60
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete
Quote:
Lol....well that's a bit of an experiment I'm conducting

I went from an E36 M3 to a E46 M3 to the 1M. I work for a BMW dealer so I get to drive a new car for free but I picked a super base 228i to drive for a while so I could get a feel for the chassis that the M2 is going to be based on. The 2 Series' inherent balance is apparent even on the 228i which makes me very optimistic for the M2

I modded the hell out of my 1M but the one thing it really needed I could not buy for it...a longer wheelbase!

I drive all my cars with the electronic nannies disabled except in the rain. To me that's the only way to actually "feel" the car. The other way around you're just driving a software package.

The E46 M3 taught me to trust it. The 1M taught me the opposite. I'm hoping the M2 will be more like the former than the latter

" i drive my cars with DSC OFF except in the rain"

Good thing you went M2 and not F80 then.

It's amazing how some people forget that a good car starts with a good chassis. A 228 is a very fun car to drive, just like an E30 318is was a Hoot to drive. The 228 js the same chassis with a suspension and motor that are both not as exotic as the M2 but it's still a killer car.

But for the lack of a limited slip diff in the 228 as it comes stock, I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire 2 series make the 'C/D 10 best next year. The m235 could be replaced by the M2 or they could just recognize the whole lineup since two of the three models are definitely ten best worthy.

Did you look at the wheelbase specs of the M2?
I didn't notice a lot of change actually...

The 1M definitely requires full concentration to drive and the M2 clearly seems to have some of the 1Ms tail happiness, but also it does seem to be more forgiving. If that's the case, I could perhaps be persuaded, but then again, I would rather wait and see if there's a diet program for the M2 before I give up my icon....

The E30 M3 absolutely has been the best drivers M car yet. While not powerful, the handling is sublime. It's a car that will make you feel like a hero, all the time. The 1M does that and then reminds you, hey, sometimes I'm a bucking bronco, I'm still wild!

I've become moderately happy with the 3300 lbs of the 1M but still not happy about it.

If BMW makes an M2 CSL I will be driving it on weekends packing sack lunches and driving a ratty old Honda ( or BMW ) to work.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2016, 06:52 AM   #61
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
" i drive my cars with DSC OFF except in the rain"
I don't know who said that but I drive my 1M with DSC OFF in the rain
Or on the dry no problem, but then after 3-4 laps my reartyres were cooking lol.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #62
Holbzz
Rep
Drives: '12 AW 1M

I was on the verge of ordering the M2, but i'm settling for a 1M instead.

Reasons:

1. Almost 1 year of waiting to get the M2
2. M2 is not as badass as the 1M, wich is simply rediculous!
3. Sharper handling / steering.
4. Little or 0 depreciation. - Especially compared to the M2 wich i think will depreciate just as much as the regular M-cars
5. Special/exclusive/icon - few around.
6. New M2 cost $100.000 Vs. $77.000 1M with all options, including extra set of wheels for winter driving. -20K miles.

Some say.... I'm mad, but in my mind it all makes sense
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #63
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbzz
I was on the verge of ordering the M2, but i'm settling for a 1M instead.

Reasons:

1. Almost 1 year of waiting to get the M2
2. M2 is not as badass as the 1M, wich is simply rediculous!
3. Sharper handling / steering.
4. Little or 0 depreciation. - Especially compared to the M2 wich i think will depreciate just as much as the regular M-cars
5. Special/exclusive/icon - few around.
6. New M2 cost $100.000 Vs. $77.000 1M with all options, including extra set of wheels for winter driving. -20K miles.

Some say.... I'm mad, but in my mind it all makes sense
Good choice and logic
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #64
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Hey!! I'm hurt!!
I like you though! You really gave me some great info in my bodybuilding supplements thread.

...you're the only F80 person who's nice on the internet. You and JLT. I like him too. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Your reaction is the way to go, thanks for that mate. Humor solves a lot of issues(irl and on the net)

But @ Verbiage, I unfortunately cannot disagree, the majority of the M3/4 drivers vs M2 discussing overthere don't act very friendly, they act arrogantly and like douchebags. I know they aren't irl. I have driven an M4 DCT. I loved it I loved it. The pointing in, the sheer urge of the (over)power(ed) engine. Wow a great package.

But it wasn't as nimble as my former E46 M3 let alone my current 1M(I also had an E90 M3 6MT, a pig....)

Anyway, i do respect the M3/4. More than a lot. But the M2 certainly wont be its lesser/disabled little brother. And that's what I'm reading a lot through the ( indirect) words from many M3/4 drivers unfortunately...

Cheers
Robin
Perhaps the internet provides some sort of ego armor for them?

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #65
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
I like you though! You really gave me some great info in my bodybuilding supplements thread.

...you're the only F80 person who's nice on the internet. You and JLT. I like him too. Lol.

Perhaps the internet provides some sort of ego armor for them?
"keyboard warrior, that can't spell"

At least half of them live in their parents basement.

Last edited by 3tekcorps; 02-22-2016 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0