BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Anyone trading their 1M for a M2?

02-18-2016, 10:11 AM   #23
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Yep.

Love my 1M great car(understatement) , but got a nice price from my dealer. Icon? Sure, but then I won't drive it anymore. I'm not a museum

Now it's time for its s.o.b. ---> M2

Cheers
robin
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #24
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

The M2 will undoubtedly be more refined than my 1M but with my mods probably no faster and maybe not as fun at the track. IMO the M2 is not improved enough over the 1M to consider switching. I would also miss the VO color.
      02-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #25
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I sold my ED 1M and was planning on getting M2 but decided against it and bought another 1M. I was number 1 on the list in San Diego dealer but too many little things added up on the M2, that made the 1M more special to me.
That is not to say that the M2 isn't awesome or better than the 1M for most people, it is all those things, just not as special to me compared to the 1M.

Here are things that added up for me to bail on the M2:
1. Mandatory iDrive and screen. Not a fan of it in sports/sporty cars
2. Fake/Enhanced Sound. Not a fan of it.
3. Mandatory in the US heavier version with power seats, folding mirrors, etc. Not a fan of bloat. If I could get a lightweight version maybe I would consider it.
4. Mandatory Black wheels. Not a fan of black fad wheels.
5. Comfort mode buttons in a sports car....c'mon do I need to explain that?
6. I love blue cars but LB Blue is my least favorite, except for maybe YMB.
7. Heavier than the 1M and even heavier than a stripper 1M like mine.
8. Anyone can drive one now with automatic, launch control, smoky burnout feature, bread toasting, martini shaker...etc. etc.
9. No Temp gauge

Here is what made the 1M seem more special so that I bailed on M2.
1. No Nav, no I-drive option makes for a lighter, more focused cockpit that looks stunning compared to the Nintendo cockpits of today.
2. 100% real sound. Not enhanced. Yes maybe some hear a drone and my house trembles at 5 AM when I fire it up and the neighbors probably notice it, but I love it.
3. No COMFORT mode....or any other nonsense button. It's a sports coupe and it only has one fixed butt-clenching I will kill you if you disrespect the gas pedal mode.
4. The bulges. While some think it looks dated, I think the rounded bulges look timeless and beautiful compared to the cool, faddish angular things on the M2.
5. Lighter than M2. I hope I don't have to explain that.
6. Manual only. The 1M is a throw back and the manual only nature made it even more so. It is the last BMW made that was only offered in a manual transmission.
7. The story behind it. The 1M was a labor of love by some at M to bring BMW back from where they had gone astray. It was done out of love for driving excitement. There is no such story for the M2, it is simply a business decision and continuation of all recent M cars.
8. Rarity. You rarely see one on the road.
9. Raw. The 1M is one of the rawest BMWs in years, even compared to the M2. Those things that made it inferior technically to the M2, like it wants to go sideways all the time, bad aerodynamics, stiff ride, loud exhaust even with some drone, etc. All of those things add up to a wind noise at speed that makes it seem that it's going faster than it is and you can't really dose off in it. They add up to make it a very involving, fun car. Yes, not as fast or modern looking but different enough from most other modern BMWs to be special.

So to be clear, the M2 is fantastic and If the 1M stripper were not an option, I would buy one in a heartbeat. Congratulations to all M2 owners you have the best BMW made today!

Last edited by nachob; 02-20-2016 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #26
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed
The M2 will undoubtedly be more refined than my 1M but with my mods probably no faster and maybe not as fun at the track. IMO the M2 is not improved enough over the 1M to consider switching. I would also miss the VO color.
M2 is hugely improved.

You'll see !
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #27
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
That 1M must be in awful shape if you'd need another 72,000 to move into an M2. In the US the 1M is going to cost you almost the same as a new M2. I'd like a 1M at $30,000, but not $50,000.
Well who said I was going to sell my 1M. The 1M is probably the best collectible Bmw in recent years it is a keeper. I was planning to buy a M2 later if the car was going to bring something much better and something new which it ins't. In Canada the M2 msrp is 61000$ then you have to add destination and preparation charge, a/c tax, tires tax, 14.975% sales tax, luxury tax so you end up pretty close to 72000$ even with some negociation. Plus you have to pay this with 47% of your salary as the rest goes straight to gouvernement's pocket. I find this a huge price to pay for a car that isn't an over achiever.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #28
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I sold my ED 1M and was planning on getting M2 but decided against it and bought another 1M. I was number 1 on the list in San Diego dealer but too many little things added up on the M2, that made the 1M more special to me.
That is not to say that the M2 is awesome and better than the 1M for most people, it is all those things, just not as special to me compared to the 1M.

Here are things that added up for me to bail on the M2:
1. Mandatory iDrive and screen. Not a fan of it in sports/sporty cars
2. Fake/Enhanced Sound. Not a fan of it.
3. Mandatory in the US heavier version with power seats, folding mirrors, etc. Not a fan of bloat. If I could get a lightweight version maybe I would consider it.
4. Mandatory Black wheels. Not a fan of black fad wheels.
5. Comfort mode buttons in a sports car....c'mon do I need to explain that?
6. I love blue cars but LB Blue is my least favorite, except for maybe YMB.
7. Heavier than the 1M and even heavier than a stripper 1M like mine.
8. Anyone can drive one now with automatic, launch control, smoky burnout feature, bread toasting, martini shaker...etc. etc.

Here is what made the 1M seem more special so that I bailed on M2.
1. No Nav, no I-drive option makes for a lighter, more focused cockpit that looks stunning compared to the Nintendo cockpits of today.
2. 100% real sound. Not enhanced. Yes maybe some hear a drone and my house trembles at 5 AM when I fire it up and the neighbors probably notice it, but I love it.
3. No COMFORT mode....or any other nonsense button. It's a sports coupe and it only has one fixed butt-clenching I will kill you if you disrespect the gas pedal mode.
4. The bulges. While some think it looks dated, I think the rounded bulges look timeless and beautiful compared to the cool, faddish angular things on the M2.
5. Lighter than M2. I hope I don't have to explain that.
6. Manual only. The 1M is a throw back and the manual only nature made it even more so. It is the last BMW made that was only offered in a manual transmission.
7. The story behind it. The 1M was a labor of love by some at M to bring BMW back from where they had gone astray. It was done out of love for driving excitement. There is no such story for the M2, it is simply a business decision and continuation of all recent M cars.
8. Rarity. You rarely see one on the road.
9. Raw. The 1M is one of the rawest BMWs in years, even compared to the M2. Those things that made it inferior technically to the M2, like it wants to go sideways all the time, bad aerodynamics, stiff ride, loud exhaust even with some drone, etc. All of those things add up to a wind noise at speed that makes it seem that it's going faster than it is and you can't really dose off in it. They add up to make it a very involving, fun car. Yes, not as fast or modern looking but different enough from most other modern BMWs to be special.

So to be clear, the M2 is fantastic and If the 1M stripper were not an option, I would buy one in a heartbeat. Congratulations to all M2 owners you have the best BMW made today!

Those are all great points that I agree with for the most part. What I can't swallow is a minimal price difference between a 5 year old 1M and a new M2. The only two I've seen this year have been well driven and almost $50,000.

I'd put my $50,000 on something else that lacks a warranty to be honest. Like a Lotus Evora S for instance.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #29
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
M2 is hugely improved.

You'll see !
Improved is dependent on point of view. I'm from SoCal so I will try to illustrate this with pictures.

Picture 1 is an improved wave. Very repeatable with smoky wipeout feature. Easy to surf, you don't get popsicle headache, you don't hit rocks, get bitten by sharks and you can enjoy it all day. Yes. absolutely they have improved the wave 200% !

Picture 2 is the old poor outdated slower wave. You get loud sound, bumps, you can get hurt. It's not on demand and there are no buttons to turn it on or off. You just wait for and engage it.

Some feel wave 2 is still the way to go and some prefer the first. You can enjoy both but the second one is special because it takes more effort and involvement to earn the good ride.

I see this when guys get all excited about launch control automatics. To me that's nice but no real glory when you're surfing a water park. But the guy that goes out on the ocean and masters the big wave gets the Kudos.
Attached Images

Last edited by nachob; 02-18-2016 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 3
      02-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #30
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
Those are all great points that I agree with for the most part. What I can't swallow is a minimal price difference between a 5 year old 1M and a new M2. The only two I've seen this year have been well driven and almost $50,000.

I'd put my $50,000 on something else that lacks a warranty to be honest. Like a Lotus Evora S for instance.
Absolutely, the price is nuts on 1M and can't absorb it either. I went to Canada to buy the 2nd 1M where I got a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #31
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Nope. I will never sell the 1M. That being said, I have started searching for my next car purchase this fall - I am looking for at least 4 doors and some utility now that I live on a small farm:

1. M3 Comp Package
2. Raptor
3. Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro + Used Elise/S2000/M Roadster
4. Focus RS + Cheaper Truck or Used Elise/S200/M Roadster
5. Macan
6. RS 3
7. 996/997.1 Turbo + Cheaper Truck

Life is too short to drive the same type of vehicle everyday! All of the above options can be had for $50-70k and Nos. 3 and 7 are as close to depreciation proof as you are likely to find.

I am encouraging my dad to take a hard look at the M2 and I would also take a hard look at a CSL/GTS version. In the case of an unexpected windfall or very high bonus, the list would have to include a Morgan 3 Wheeler, GT3, GT4, or AMG GT along with a cheap truck!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #32
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Please get a Macan. That was actually up there with my choice for the M2, but seeing as I have no children/need for an SUV at the moment, I decided against it.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 01:15 PM   #33
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
Nope. I will never sell the 1M. That being said, I have started searching for my next car purchase this fall - I am looking for at least 4 doors and some utility now that I live on a small farm:

1. M3 Comp Package
2. Raptor
3. Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro + Used Elise/S2000/M Roadster
4. Focus RS + Cheaper Truck or Used Elise/S200/M Roadster
5. Macan
6. RS 3
7. 996/997.1 Turbo + Cheaper Truck

Life is too short to drive the same type of vehicle everyday! All of the above options can be had for $50-70k and Nos. 3 and 7 are as close to depreciation proof as you are likely to find.

I am encouraging my dad to take a hard look at the M2 and I would also take a hard look at a CSL/GTS version. In the case of an unexpected windfall or very high bonus, the list would have to include a Morgan 3 Wheeler, GT3, GT4, or AMG GT along with a cheap truck!

I had an Elise for 2 years. It gets mad attention unless you're in LA where people have seen them for years. I'm in a smaller city of about 140k and it got really annoying. It's like Lambo level attention. They are great cars though, but ZERO nannies. I did a DE day in pouring rain and it was pretty sketchy. I did loop it that day.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #34
rosky1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Considering it. Just posted my VO 1M in classifieds & Cargurus. #1 on local dealer list for M2 but no allocation yet. As expected dealer trade value was a bit low esp for a car with 25K miles but was offered an excellent trade number & significant discount on an M4- as expected too. The M4 drove well & has great options, color, etc but it's quite a hefty beast...we'll see. I'm with Robin though...change can be good. I sold a 944 after 7 years & still have a moment of regret when I see an old pic...until I drive the 1M again.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 01:40 PM   #35
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

One day, former 1 M owners, who traded it in for an M2 or another car, will regret their decision just like E46 M3 owners.
      02-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #36
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
One day, former 1 M owners, who traded it in for an M2 or another car, will regret their decision just like E46 M3 owners.
Did you used to own an E46 M3?

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #37
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Did you used to own an E46 M3?
No, unfortunately.

The 135i is our second BMW and the first "sporty" car.
      02-18-2016, 01:56 PM   #38
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
No, unfortunately.

The 135i is our second BMW and the first "sporty" car.
Oh. Well I always liked the 135i.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #39
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Oh. Well I always liked the 135i.
It's not bad at all. We were left with no other options other than the 128i, though.

LCI E92 M3 are super rare in 6MT and without black leather and we already have a 3 Series.

Found a mint E46 M3, 6MT, Melbourne Red on M Texture Alcantara, but decided against it because I just could not drive it in rain or snow (Not that the Einser is a DD). And the garage is only for two cars.

I'll probably never experience a naturally aspirated M car.

Oh well, such is life.
      02-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #40
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

com on guys...........yesterday is history, today is gift, tomorrow is a mystery

I`ve had a bunch of ///M`s, and for their time they were fabulous (E46 M3, E92 M3, E82 1M, Cayman GTS) but time is moving on, and so am I, and yes the M2 is on its way...

Let put it this way;

The king is dead, long live the king.............
Appreciate 3
      02-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #41
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
It's not bad at all. We were left with no other options other than the 128i, though.

LCI E92 M3 are super rare in 6MT and without black leather and we already have a 3 Series.

Found a mint E46 M3, 6MT, Melbourne Red on M Texture Alcantara, but decided against it because I just could not drive it in rain or snow (Not that the Einser is a DD). And the garage is only for two cars.

I'll probably never experience a naturally aspirated M car.

Oh well, such is life.
Good things come when times change, whether or not they are initially/eventually accepted is up to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
com on guys...........yesterday is history, today is gift, tomorrow is a mystery

I`ve had a bunch of ///M`s, and for their time they were fabulous (E46 M3, E92 M3, E82 1M, Cayman GTS) but time is moving on, and so am I, and yes the M2 is on its way...

Let put it this way;

Appreciate 2
      02-18-2016, 02:29 PM   #42
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Let put it this way;

You coming this year to the Alps with other M guys from Benelux?
      02-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #43
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
You coming this year to the Alps with other M guys from Benelux?
I`m not aware of that, but it does sound good
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #44
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I`m not aware of that, but it does sound good
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1152114