BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs M3

02-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #89
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
He states the DCT as being slower and less responsive then PDK, and very disappointing. Not a chance. He says the car "lacks sportiness" ? feels dead, and very uninspiring. No settings suit the M4 ?, OH PLEASE. Wasnt the E92 only 2" shorter then an M4 ?. Thats what im saying rubbish too. More agile, it probably is, smaller things usually are, i agree with that statement. The Cayman is more agile than a 991, it stands to reason. But his report read to me, like he was trying to convince himself, that what he wants to buy is the M2 .
OK, so your car is, in fact, bigger and less agile.

So you called his post "rubbish" because you only agreed with 2/3rds of what he said?

Sound more defensive.

There are PLENTY of people excited about the M2 because it is exactly what we're talking about, a smaller M car.

Oh, and if you actually read what he posted he mentioned the E90/2 as also losing something vs. previous Ms (also an extremely common sentiment). So I'm not sure what your point was bringing that up.

The M3/4 is a great car. But it is, in many people's eyes, just another step away from what we used to love about M cars. Not that the M2 is going to make any great strides back to those days either...but at least it's smaller. Can't go back in time...unfortunately. But that doesn't mean we have to blindly defend whatever BMW is selling..which these days are more appliances of speed vs. what they used to be focused on.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 3
      02-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #90
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Reading is difficult to some people overhere............

Didn`t I post here that I TRADED IN THE E92 M3 FOR A 1M.............

If you can`t understand, it means from BIG to SMALL...........
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #91
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

The point is Robert, you initially described the M4 AND DCT gearbox as being dead and slow or something like that. That is 100% not the case.
It's a great very fast car, with very crisp steering (in ) for its size and the DCT is just great. Period.

Don't give me 'but this and that' because that's total nonsense and you already know that... Don't listen too much to your friend, you know who I mean.
Off course M2 should be more agile on paper but don't get your hopes too high. You already sold your Cayman GTS after a year or so. Your expectations of some cars are/were way too high I think....

No offence, you know it...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #92
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

And there is a 90% loaded MY15 (built 2014) M4 DCT for sale at my dealership for €77k incl 2 years BMW warranty.

Or do I wait for my €83k (92k US$) M2?

I will wait...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #93
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
The point is Robert, you initially described the M4 AND DCT gearbox as being dead and slow or something like that. That is 100% not the case.
It's a great very fast car, with very crisp steering (in ) for its size and the DCT is just great. Period.

Don't give me 'but this and that' because that's total nonsense and you already know that... Don't listen too much to your friend, you know who I mean.
Off course M2 should be more agile on paper but don't get your hopes too high. You already sold your Cayman GTS after a year or so. Your expectations of some cars are/were way too high I think....

No offence, you know it...

Cheers
Robin

You know why I sold the Cayman, no further elaboration necessary.

I also told over and over again the M4 is absurd fast, and S3 is like Cayman PDK in its modest setting.

I know the difference in feeling between a E92 M3 and the 1M, the same will be the case between M4 and M2....

I know why and what I choose:thumbs:

No offence taken.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 02:54 PM   #94
Nobledriver
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW E65

I've had an E46 M3 and now it's time for its successor... but BMW made it really hard for me The price difference between M2 and M3 (or M4) is not too big anymore in Belgium so that really isn't an issue!

The M2 has the perfect size, good looking front and nice engine but a boring interior and a less sporty profile (not to mention the not so bespoke two things to look backwards on each door ) The stock exhaust already sounds good though I heard it only on the net.
The M4 has a better profile, a better interior and an incredible performing engine, but is a bit too large, has a not so aesthetic front (headlights touching the grill yuk) and a really horrible, dealbraking engine sound...

I find myself a bit childish that just a noise can totally spoil my appetite for a car so I spent hours (if not days) to find M4's with upgraded exhaust systems (on the net AND irl!) but till now there is not even one that sounds acceptable
Just someone design a better exhaust sound for it please because nearly all the other things about the car are great.

In my desperation I even looked over "the border" to an AMG C coupé but that car has no MT so it's not an option.

P.S.: the things above are just my opinion, I don't want to offend someone with another opinion

Last edited by Nobledriver; 02-09-2016 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 02:54 PM   #95
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
And there is a 90% loaded MY15 (built 2014) M4 DCT for sale at my dealership for €77k incl 2 years BMW warranty.

Or do I wait for my €83k (92k US$) M2?

I will wait...

Cheers
Robin

That would be quite advisable
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #96
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

The best thing about DCT;

It does not creep !! There it will beat the PDK.

I liked that a lot!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #97
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
The point is Robert, you initially described the M4 AND DCT gearbox as being dead and slow or something like that. That is 100% not the case. It's a great very fast car, with very crisp steering (in ) for its size and the DCT is just great.
?

Where do you people get this stuff?

Quote:
The dealer however promised me a test drive with the M4 DCT, I was given the chance to drive the M4 last weekend, and as good as the car is, fast, absurd fast, you can feel that it is big, that the wheelbase has grown again so less agility. The DCT is IMHO good in S3, the other settings (D and S) i did not like, off course I do compare it to the Porsche PDK, and I like the last one better, that is my subjective opinion, in no way I want or wanted to offend anyone on this forum.
He said it was absurdly fast.

What posts are you people reading?
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 03:15 PM   #98
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex
Quote:
The point is Robert, you initially described the M4 AND DCT gearbox as being dead and slow or something like that. That is 100% not the case. It's a great very fast car, with very crisp steering (in ) for its size and the DCT is just great.
?

Quote:
The dealer however promised me a test drive with the M4 DCT, I was given the chance to drive the M4 last weekend, and as good as the car is, fast, absurd fast, you can feel that it is big, that the wheelbase has grown again so less agility. The DCT is IMHO good in S3, the other settings (D and S) i did not like, off course I do compare it to the Porsche PDK, and I like the last one better, that is my subjective opinion, in no way I want or wanted to offend anyone on this forum.

The dct box being slow, we both know
w eachother personally and are also on a dutch forum...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #99
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
?

Post 23 regarding gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 03:33 PM   #100
kovsky
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
It's a joke but good luck on your 7th grade geometry test, I'm sure you'll pass.
weak... Sir, I fart in your general direction. During recess of course.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #101
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobledriver View Post
I've had an E46 M3 and now it's time for its successor... but BMW made it really hard for me The price difference between M2 and M3 (or M4) is not too big anymore in Belgium so that really isn't an issue!

The M2 has the perfect size, good looking front and nice engine but a boring interior and a less sporty profile (not to mention the not so bespoke two things to look backwards on each door ) The stock exhaust already sounds good though I heard it only on the net.
The M4 has a better profile, a better interior and an incredible performing engine, but is a bit too large, has a not so aesthetic front (headlights touching the grill yuk) and a really horrible, dealbraking engine sound...

I find myself a bit childish that just a noise can totally spoil my appetite for a car so I spent hours (if not days) to find M4's with upgraded exhaust systems (on the net AND irl!) but till now there is not even one that sounds acceptable
Just someone design a better exhaust sound for it please because nearly all the other things about the car are great.

In my desperation I even looked over "the border" to an AMG C coupé but that car has no MT so it's not an option.

P.S.: the things above are just my opinion, I don't want to offend someone with another opinion
I'm with you. The M4 noise is 100% deal breaker for me not that I have ever really looked at the M4. I also thought about the AMG C63s coupe before deciding on the M2 but the size is more of my wife's liking. C63 is a beautiful car and sounds awesome!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 04:55 PM   #102
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Butthurt M4 owners incoming.
To some ///M owners out there belittling the M2 and/or prospective M2 owners: get ready for the accolades and rave reviews that the M2 will get in the very near future.

02-09-2016, 07:27 PM   #103
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Switching gears in here, I saw the M2 at the auto show and the "back seat" is REALLY small. Like, it's really just an internal trunk. Those of you with children who planned on stuffing them back there please don't do it. That's child abuse, someone might call the authorities on you.
      02-09-2016, 07:30 PM   #104
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I'm with you. The M4 noise is 100% deal breaker for me not that I have ever really looked at the M4. I also thought about the AMG C63s coupe before deciding on the M2 but the size is more of my wife's liking. C63 is a beautiful car and sounds awesome!!!!
I'm with you. I know the C63S coupe won't get the same love on these forums, but I really like what Mercedes has done with the car. There is the issue of weight, but AMGs have always been refined German muscle cars, and that probably won't change anytime soon. Still, I think it's a great looking car and sound is obviously not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyJrze View Post
Switching gears in here, I saw the M2 at the auto show and the "back seat" is REALLY small. Like, it's really just an internal trunk. Those of you with children who planned on stuffing them back there please don't do it. That's child abuse, someone might call the authorities on you.
Yeah, although I couldn't get into the show car in DC (it was locked), the back seat was more for storing things instead of kids

But I guess M235i owners would already know better than anyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 08:29 PM   #105
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
They fit fine in my 1M. I did notice that rear seat headroom is less in the M2 though. Oh well, they'll have to deal with it.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2016, 09:17 PM   #106
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Quote:

This is actually the big reason I'm switching to the F80. Plan to start a family very soon and will keep this car for at least 5 years. Practicality says get a sedan with some room.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 12:29 AM   #107
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

I'm getting the M2 DCT, first reason being not wanting to pay €6.8K over DCT.
Second: It's really something else I want to try vs 6MT.
Third: I testdrove an M4 DCT and the last thing I'd ever complain about is the DCT box.
Fourth: My longer distance(let's call them occasional DD) drives in the M2 are far from spectacular in terms of speed, they're more like go with the flow, stuck in trafficjams once in a while.
Fifth: In general on trackdays it should be faster (fwiw) and it's still driftable as I see M3/4 DCT drifting on many occasions on the net. And the M2 on Anglesey...I do driftdays myself 4-5 times a year.

Downside: Less 'involvement', but I already know that.

IF 6MT was equally prized as DCT in my country I'd still have a tough time deciding which box I'd choose. I'm starting to like DCT , having read more than a lot about it lately off course.

M4 GTS is also equipped with DCT for a(some) reason. Is it exactly the same DCT box or?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #108
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
To some ///M owners out there belittling the M2 and/or prospective M2 owners: get ready for the accolades and rave reviews that the M2 will get in the very near future.

So.....the current M3/M4 owners are the machines right?! Did I win?!?!

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #109
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
So.....the current M3/M4 owners are the machines right?! Did I win?!?!
///M cars are respected, also by the competition, for all the right reasons. A lot of win.

And it's a good thing that BMW adds a new flavor to its portfolio.

Name:  ThreeMs.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  164.8 KB
      02-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #110
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
If the M2 back seat is the same as the M235 that I own(I assume that it is) then the back seats are not that bad, I just went into the garage and did a back seat test.

Notice that the back seats are deep, you set so far back in them that it's possible to slide the front seats back and it still allows for knee room. When I adjust the front drivers seat for myself, the roof line in the back is just at the limit for me when I'm sitting up straight in the back seat behind the driver. I'm 5'11" with a proportional torso. Someone with a long torso or taller than I am would need to slouch down in the seat a bit, but most people do that anyway. Knee space was not a problem at all. I think that it is safe to say that children can easily fit in the back of that car.

Edit: I found this thread on the M235i, it seems that although there is actual space for kids a 4 door might be more comfortable.http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954423

Last edited by AlpsRider; 02-10-2016 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0