02-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #67
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Thank you. You do not know how much time and angst you just saved me while I wait for the M2. Everything you just said is EXACTLY what I was afraid of. I will be a MT guy no matter what, but I'm most surprised about your DCT comments. I thought this was supposed to be among the best, quickest, most responsive trannies of its kind?
I'm surprised too. I had the M DCT in the E92 M3 (which I loved), and it's been improved for the F82. I test drove an M4 with M DCT a few weeks ago and the improvements were noticeable.

I cannot relate to one item in that Dutch fella's review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crqflier View Post
I have to disagree with every aspect of this M3 (M4) evaluation
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
The shift time of the DCT is about 80 ms the PDK about 75ms from what I could find. I doubt many humans can detect the 5ms difference. I am 100% sure and M4 drives differently than a Cayman, I can't imagine anyone would think they should drive the same. I have never read a review about a BMW DCT that said it was slow or sluggish (I have read many reviews) and the data doesn't indicate that to be the case so I will take the review for what it is at face value, expectations not being met for this reviewer.
Agreed.

It sounds as if something was wrong with that car, or maybe Romo is trying to validate his choice of 6MT for his M2.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 04:11 PM   #68
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
You really do not understand, now that is a pity, you can`t help your self.

Read again, think, and let it all come down.......it least give it a try.
You have no credibility
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #69
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
I agree, but not when you add in stuff like making more power reliably and easily, better interior, carbon roof, better looks, more practicality etc.
Anyone arguing that they would take a M2 over a M3/M4 at the same price is stupid.
Name:  Duty_calls.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  27.4 KB
      02-08-2016, 05:02 PM   #70
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

M2 is 70 pounds lighter than the M4. You guys talk like the M2 is a P1.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 05:30 PM   #71
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
I agree, but not when you add in stuff like making more power reliably and easily, better interior, carbon roof, better looks, more practicality etc.

Anyone arguing that they would take a M2 over a M3/M4 at the same price is stupid.
I can afford either one. I have a 600 crank hp Jaguar XKR, and a heavily modified 600 crank hp 930 for the track. The Porsche is a monster--great fun, but not something I want to drive every day. The Jag is a great gentleman's GT car, but I want a shorter wheelbase, toss-able M car as a DD. I want it to be a more modern version of my Dinan e36 M3.

The M4 does not feel much like my old M3. It's quick, but not as quick as what I already have. I'm very hopeful that the M2 comes closer to what I had.

Mine is just one profile of a driver who might prefer an M2 over an M3/4, price independent.

Last edited by BruceM; 02-10-2016 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #72
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Guessing probably mostly due to financial reasons.
Maybe, just maybe, it's possible that your car isn't infalable

Soon.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #73
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Maybe, just maybe, it's possible that your car isn't infalable
Meh, someone's got a small ahem...

E92 M3 owners had this attitude toward the 1M. Something about being threatened or something....who knows.

Anyway, let them enjoy their exhaust's wonderful flatulence.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #74
kovsky
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, finally

Quote:
You have no credibility
Oh Cosmo, thanks for so blatantly displaying your obtuse nature. Truly entertaining my friend!
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 07:47 PM   #75
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
This may be a bit off topic, but I see in your signature that you've owned a corvette. How would you compare the BMW's to your corvette after some seat time?
The C7 Corvette is a better pure performance car than my M4 (or any M car I've owned) in most respects. Faster on the track, more connected feeling, more planted... just a great sports car. The M4 is probably a better DD car and also a better "image" car if that matters to someone (I don't care that much).

If I didn't need a back seat, I would have the Corvette in my garage... I say that even from the perspective of being a HUGE fan of BMW M cars.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 02-08-2016 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2016, 08:35 PM   #76
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Meh, someone's got a small ahem...

E92 M3 owners had this attitude toward the 1M. Something about being threatened or something....who knows.

Anyway, let them enjoy their exhaust's wonderful flatulence.
I loved my e92
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #77
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Quote:

If questioning financial rationalization, one could say that anyone who buys an M4 over an M2, which gives you 90% of the performance at 80% of the price, would be stupid.

I am personally going to go with an F80, but only because I've come to reluctant conclusion that a sedan makes more sense for me. If that was not the case, I would certainly go with the M2, even though I can clearly afford both.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #78
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
The C7 Corvette is a better pure performance car than my M4 (or any M car I've owned) in most respects. Faster on the track, more connected feeling, more planted... just a great sports car. The M4 is probably a better DD car and also a better "image" car if that matters to someone (I don't care that much).

If I didn't need a back seat, I would have the Corvette in my garage... I say that even from the perspective of being a HUGE fan of BMW M cars.
The new corvette from a design standpoint is stunning to my eyes. Everytime I see a white one on the road I drool. The 2 seater setup and small luggage space is an issue for me also. Thanks for sharing your experience with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 11:24 AM   #79
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
I'm surprised too. I had the M DCT in the E92 M3 (which I loved), and it's been improved for the F82. I test drove an M4 with M DCT a few weeks ago and the improvements were noticeable.

I cannot relate to one item in that Dutch fella's review.

Me too.

Agreed.

It sounds as if something was wrong with that car, or maybe Romo is trying to validate his choice of 6MT for his M2.

As I stated before, the M4 is an awesome power package, but too big for my liking (and you all know my M history overhere)

That was indeed the main reason I sold the E92 M3 for the 1M, it took me just a 5 minutes drive in the 1M to realize where M is all about, and it is not about HP numbers I can assure everyone I found that lively M feeling a little bit lost in the E92 M3.
So pulling that thought and feeling through to the next generation F8X M`s I knew I would not go for another big M car again, that is why I waited for the M2, meanwhile tasting the Porsche Cayman GTS with PDK.

That brings me to the PDK vs M-DCT; I originally ordered the M2 with DCT (because it is cheaper in the Netherlands, 6MT is €6,8K more expensive) but I had no experience with the M-DCT. Ik knew the 6MT would be the best ever built by BMW as it is an evolution of the 1M 6MT and that was enhanced for the F8X M`s, so I couldn` t go wrong on the 6 MT. So I pulled the trigger and changed the DCT to 6MT.

The dealer however promised me a test drive with the M4 DCT, I was given the chance to drive the M4 last weekend, and as good as the car is, fast, absurd fast, you can feel that it is big, that the wheelbase has grown again so less agility. The DCT is IMHO good in S3, the other settings (D and S) i did not like, off course I do compare it to the Porsche PDK, and I like the last one better, that is my subjective opinion, in no way I want or wanted to offend anyone on this forum.

So, I`m keeping the 6MT on the M2, although it is more expensive, I think it is the better choice for me, feel free to think and decide differently
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #80
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovsky View Post
Oh Cosmo, thanks for so blatantly displaying your obtuse nature. Truly entertaining my friend!
It's a joke but good luck on your 7th grade geometry test, I'm sure you'll pass.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #81
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson6594 View Post
If questioning financial rationalization, one could say that anyone who buys an M4 over an M2, which gives you 90% of the performance at 80% of the price, would be stupid.

I am personally going to go with an F80, but only because I've come to reluctant conclusion that a sedan makes more sense for me. If that was not the case, I would certainly go with the M2, even though I can clearly afford both.
I wasn't questioning financial rationalization, I said if price was not a factor. Of course price is a factor in the real world which is why some would buy a 51K M2 vs a 70K M4.

Price is the main reason I'm considering a M2 for a cheap but fun daily driver. I don't want to fork out 70k+ for a daily but a M2 on ED in the high 40's seems like a pretty good deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 12:10 PM   #82
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Romo,
Your M4 review is utter, utter rubbish. And the M2 wont be the same ?.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 12:14 PM   #83
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Romo,

No it will be far better on the agility department ! No offense.

As I said before;

Agility;
1M >>E92 M3
M2 >>F8X M

I`m not looking for sheer HP numbers, all I want is agility.

So, now I have said that more than enough........I hope it is clear to everyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #84
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Romo,

Ummm, it's a pretty common complaint about the size of the latest M3/4. And that it is less agile than smaller past versions.

Rubbish? He didn't make many subjective statements. He said it was absurdly fast, yet you can feel its size.

How is that rubbish?

He wouldn't be the 100th person to say it feels like a bit more like buttoned down 5 series, vs. what an M3 used to feel like.

Are you stating your M4 is small and as agile as past models?
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 3
      02-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #85
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Butthurt M4 owners incoming.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 2
      02-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #86
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
I wasn't questioning financial rationalization, I said if price was not a factor. Of course price is a factor in the real world which is why some would buy a 51K M2 vs a 70K M4.

Price is the main reason I'm considering a M2 for a cheap but fun daily driver. I don't want to fork out 70k+ for a daily but a M2 on ED in the high 40's seems like a pretty good deal.
Just one little question: Where did you buy those 99 rep points?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #87
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post

Ummm, it's a pretty common complaint about the size of the latest M3/4. And that it is less agile than smaller past versions.

Rubbish? He didn't make many subjective statements. He said it was absurdly fast, yet you can feel its size.

How is that rubbish?

He wouldn't be the 100th person to say it feels like a bit more like buttoned down 5 series, vs. what an M3 used to feel like.

Are you stating your M4 is small and as agile as past models?

He states the DCT as being slower and less responsive then PDK, and very disappointing. Not a chance. He says the car "lacks sportiness" ? feels dead, and very uninspiring. No settings suit the M4 ?, OH PLEASE. Wasnt the E92 only 2" shorter then an M4 ?. Thats what im saying rubbish too. More agile, it probably is, smaller things usually are, i agree with that statement. The Cayman is more agile than a 991, it stands to reason. But his report read to me, like he was trying to convince himself, that what he wants to buy is the M2 .
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #88
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
He states the DCT as being slower and less responsive then PDK, and very disappointing. Not a chance. He says the car "lacks sportiness" ? feels dead, and very uninspiring. No settings suit the M4 ?, OH PLEASE. Wasnt the E92 only 2" shorter then an M4 ?. Thats what im saying rubbish too. More agile, it probably is, smaller things usually are, i agree with that statement. The Cayman is more agile than a 991, it stands to reason. But his report read to me, like he was trying to convince himself, that what he wants to buy is the M2 .

I will not to have to be convinced, I`m sure for what I want and how I want it.

The test drive made perfectly clear what I already knew for a long, long time.......

Al M3-M4 drivers must not be offended (but I feel you are)......I can understand why all you HP fetishists want one.......

But I think and act differently
Appreciate 0