BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Buy the M235i or wait for the M2?

02-04-2015, 05:56 AM   #23
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
I went through this decision as well... M235i vs waiting for the M2. Firstly, you won't get your hands on one for at least earliest Mid June 2016, that's 18 months away.

Second question is... Is it really worth it to get the M2? It will most likely be a very good car, somewhere inbetween a M235i and M3. You'll get 25-30kw more... LSD and basically all the M performance kit.

Base price will cost 20% more... M235i you can already negotiate a pretty good deal, I got 20% off listed price with my options. You'd find it hard to get any discounts on the M2. In Australia, the difference will be close to 35% difference in price ($80k vs $120K) for me unless you're going on the track regularly, its not worth the difference.

By the time the M2 is released, there will be quite a few M3/M4 with not many KMs for the same price. And you know what, as great as the M2 might be, BMW won't make the car better or faster than the M3/M4. What I've also noticed is that M2 like the 1M is towards the very very end of the BMW cycle. Look at the 1M as great as it drives, the car only 2 years old is very dated inside. A new interior from BMW will be release in 2018ish

In modern day standards... cars improve way too quickly for anything to hold its value, and stay up to date.

The point is, buy a car when you need to buy a new car... by the time you wait until the M2 is released, there might be another amazing car releasing in 12-18 months time... are you going to wait again? You might make alot more money at that stage, and can afford a M3. AMG might release a black edition of the A45 which will blow sector apart. You'll never know.
It is worth every dime to me. I know myself too well. I try to go for the halo model such as the m2 or m3 so that there are no doubts 1 or 2 years down the line. If the M2 just receives brakes and suspension alone from the M3/4, that would have already been great. But we'll get some pretty ridiculous visual on top of that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the F80, but I've come to stop caring about numbers and what's faster than what. As long as it's priced accordingly, I'm getting an M2 over an M3 because it's a much better sized car and hoping it's more agile (hopefully lighter too). You can't even use half the power of these new cars without going to jail these days.
Appreciate 0