BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Audi RS3 Hatchback Revealed

12-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #23
technik330
Captain
Rep
Drives: STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Johnson View Post
The best car for my needs IS BMW, Ive grown into loving them over the years of them being the perfect vehicle for me. I think the best car for my needs will always be some kind of BMW, but if there is something better, I'd stick with BMW just because I dont wanna betray the kickass brand my families been with since 35'.

Just so you understand.
Is this real life?
'18 Subaru STi Type RA #350
'19 Honda Civic Type R #31191
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #24
sdpauly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2008 Taco

I think 'brand loyalty' is a silly thing.

You are basically telling a company you will buy anything they produce, even if it's mediocre. IMHO, businesses need to win me as a customer by producing excellent products that I want to buy. Conversely, they can also lose me as a customer by deviating from producing things that I like/want.

Just, the whole notion of being a "GM family" or a "BMW family" just makes no sense to me. But, whatever makes you happy, I suppose...

I bought two VWs because (at the time) I liked what they produced. Then when their products started to stray from what I liked, I turned to BMW. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 135i, but looking forward, I'm just not that into what BMW is doing for the present and future products. Now, I'm liking Porsche and I see a 981 in my future.

But, I may not stick with Porsche after this generation if they do not continue producing what I like.

Loyalty? To a company? Hell no.
      12-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #25
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
would LOVE to have this join the 1M in my garage as a 'family car'. The Audi 5-pot engines are something special....
Ditto, except that a) it doesn't offer a manual, and b) it likely won't be offered in the US.

I'd do the VW R again, but it has so much grip it really needs a power bump to get it moving around, and this offers that.

Shame that we're in the minority- apparently there are not enough of us to justify Audi bringing it over. Of course if Audi decides they want to bring some enthusiasts back into the fold, this would be my first audi since the UR Quattro. Always up for a little more 4wd drifting fun.
      12-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #26
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
would LOVE to have this join the 1M in my garage as a 'family car'. The Audi 5-pot engines are something special....
Ditto, except that a) it doesn't offer a manual, and b) it likely won't be offered in the US.

I'd do the VW R again, but it has so much grip it really needs a power bump to get it moving around, and this offers that.

Shame that we're in the minority- apparently there are not enough of us to justify Audi bringing it over. Of course if Audi decides they want to bring some enthusiasts back into the fold, this would be my first audi since the UR Quattro. Always up for a little more 4wd drifting fun.
yeah Audi has all but abolished the manual....and yes we have NEVER had RS hatches or wagons in this country. A damn shame....

To all that brand loyalty crap posted here; brand loyalty is for suckers. Buy the best car for you at any given time----the end.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #27
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I love hot hatch's, 3 gen GTI owner. This Audi looks fantastic!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 10:09 PM   #28
CONTROL ONE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
The best car for my needs IS BMW, Ive grown into loving them over the years of them being the perfect vehicle for me. I think the best car for my needs will always be some kind of BMW, but if there is something better, I'd stick with BMW just because I dont wanna betray the kickass brand my families been with since 35'.

Just so you understand.
Willing to bet all money that I have that you're an Apple fan.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:11 AM   #29
Das Johnson
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by technik330 View Post
Is this real life?
Granddad from Germany, always bought BMW, never knew why, he convinced my father who convinced me, Its just that they have made cars that have suited me and my father and his father, Ive gotten other cars besides Bimmers (Hyundai SNOTa), but I just carry on the tradition by owning at least one ultimate driving machine. I guess every family is a bit wierd.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 03:16 AM   #30
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
It doesn't look awful IMO.. Just very subtle and classy.
I quite agree Colin,
Although i think a 3 door, and saloon would look slightly better.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #31
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

Why is it so hard to find a car with a spare tire, Manual tranny and a non electronic ebrake. Cost saving is getting crazy.. and I'm disappointed to see these savings in enthusiast cars where people are willing to pay more to get more.

On the new golf R I don't see an manual ebrake also. I hope competition will open these manufactures eyes. If no manual on the RS3, Audi has already decided for me to go M2 unless they offer a manual TTRS with F80/82 level of performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #32
sdpauly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I can see wanting a manual transmission and/or spare tire... But why does the e-brake (parking brake) matter if it's manual or electric?
      12-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #33
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpauly View Post
I can see wanting a manual transmission and/or spare tire... But why does the e-brake (parking brake) matter if it's manual or electric?
You can't depend on hill hold. Easier for winter driving and manual tranny.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #34
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Can't pull the electronic brake while driving (unless extreme emergency). It's either fully on or off...no in between like with a manually operated e brake. BMW is one of the few remaining companies with manual e brakes
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #35
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Why is it so hard to find a car with a spare tire, Manual tranny and a non electronic ebrake. Cost saving is getting crazy.. and I'm disappointed to see these savings in enthusiast cars where people are willing to pay more to get more.

On the new golf R I don't see an manual ebrake also. I hope competition will open these manufactures eyes. If no manual on the RS3, Audi has already decided for me to go M2 unless they offer a manual TTRS with F80/82 level of performance.
I hear ya. But I just hope that you realize how much of the minority you are about the manual tranny thing. For 90% of buyers it's not going to matter. The GTR has no manual transmission and last I checked plenty of enthusiasts like it just fine

Remember, one of the most popular passenger car sold in America is the Toyota Camry which by most car magazines and enthusiasts is actually one of the worst cars people buy. Sometimes human behavior can't be explained
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #36
sdpauly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I haven't had any problems with the hill hold in my 6MT 135i...

I also think it's kind of a misnomer to call your parking brake an e-brake. I don't think you should yank on the parking brake in an emergency situation... It's likely to just lock up one rear wheel and make you lose control.

If you have a manual trans, you can downshift/engine-brake to slow down. I can't say I have ever encountered a situation while driving where I would need to use my parking brake as an emergency brake.

So, I guess the electronic parking brake thing doesn't bother me.
      12-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #37
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONTROL ONE
Quote:

Just so you understand.
Willing to bet all money that I have that you're an Apple fan.
And?

Android user?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #38
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I haven't had any problems with the hill hold in my 6MT 135i...

I also think it's kind of a misnomer to call your parking brake an e-brake. I don't think you should yank on the parking brake in an emergency situation... It's likely to just lock up one rear wheel and make you lose control.

If you have a manual trans, you can downshift/engine-brake to slow down. I can't say I have ever encountered a situation while driving where I would need to use my parking brake as an emergency brake.

So, I guess the electronic parking brake thing doesn't bother me.
Drifting? 180 degree turns? Manual e-brake and manual + rwd is a match made in heaven. For AWD cars a manual e brake is less important
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #39
sdpauly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Doing a lot of 180 drifts on public roads are you?

OK, maybe if you're buying a new BMW as a drift car, then you have a point. But if you're going all racecar anyway, I'm sure you could retrofit a manual e-brake if that's your thing...

For the majority of people out there that just use it to immobilize the car when parked, I doubt it will make any difference.
      12-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #40
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Doing a lot of 180 drifts on public roads are you?

OK, maybe if you're buying a new BMW as a drift car, then you have a point. But if you're going all racecar anyway, I'm sure you could retrofit a manual e-brake if that's your thing...

For the majority of people out there that just use it to immobilize the car when parked, I doubt it will make any difference.
What's the point of buying a "fun" car if you don't have fun with it? Not saying doing it on public roads but there are plenty of parking lots and such to have a little fun. My m4 has a manual e brake and I haven't really used it other than for parking but I still like to know it's there vs. the RS5's electronic e-brake.

Your mentality (which I'm not not saying is wrong) is exactly why there are so few cars with manual transmissions and manual e-brakes. Now unlike a few other "manual only" folks on this forum, I've adapted to the new world and I've embraced the efficiencies that the digital world provides particularly DCTs. Can't say that I miss driving manual much at all
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #41
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Mz3-09-135i6sp-13-135isDCT

Nice clean shape. Would fly under the radar and be a great sleeper.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #42
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Pretty decent Audi indeed. M2 looks much much better.
      12-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #43
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess "electric" would be only a parking brake but the manual hand brake can be used as a parking brake or emergency brake. Maybe I'm much older than you but pulling that brake is like your brake pedal. Activated hard and it will lock up.

For winter driving for people who live in snow area it makes it more convenient to drive. Traction control doesn't work on ice. Sometime holding the E-Brake and limit torque, slowly gets you out. Performance car has too much torque and with a hand brake you can get going like a 100hp torqueless car. Also helps make controllable turns on low traction surfaces by pulling on the brake.

On the lancer evolution I believe the hand brake opens the center differtial for the 180 degree turns. I wonder if Audi got rid of that to save the drivetrain on the haldex center clutch system? Probably more cost saving by getting rid of the center diff. At lease audi kept their nice interiors.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 07:12 AM   #44
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

I guess we'll see a 365 bhp M2, better on track but not as fast in straight line (0 to 62 mph)
Appreciate 0