BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Apparently I'm alone on this but I prefer ASD on

02-25-2023, 09:44 AM   #45
Yak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Yes. With the harness your software can be upgraded and ASD remains off. Also some people don’t like to play with the factory software.
Thanks DanG, that makes sense.
Appreciate 1
DanG10660.50
      02-25-2023, 10:39 AM   #46
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
Thanks DanG, that makes sense.
It really doesn’t. Dan doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Here or in most other threads.

He implies you can’t get a software update with the coding solution which isn’t accurate. It’s also hilarious that someone is fine mucking with the wiring of their vehicle but won’t flip a parameter/setting in the software. So dumb.

For future lurkers don’t bother with a $50+ bs wiring harness. BM3 tunes eliminate it so either get a tune or code it out with BimmerCode or other solutions like Bimmer-Remote.com when you’re getting other items updated like fullscreen CarPlay and the steering/diff/MDM updates.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2023, 11:30 AM   #47
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
It really doesn’t. Dan doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Here or in most other threads.

He implies you can’t get a software update with the coding solution which isn’t accurate. It’s also hilarious that someone is fine mucking with the wiring of their vehicle but won’t flip a parameter/setting in the software. So dumb.

For future lurkers don’t bother with a $50+ bs wiring harness. BM3 tunes eliminate it so either get a tune or code it out with BimmerCode or other solutions like Bimmer-Remote.com when you’re getting other items updated like fullscreen CarPlay and the steering/diff/MDM updates.
I don't think he implied that. He's just saying software updates won't reset it. Never implied that you wouldn't be able to turn it back off.

And as much as I agree with you that it's odd someone would rather fiddle with wiring than with bimmercode, he's not wrong that some people are worried about any kind of software changes. That's just a fact.

No reason to be rude. I've found DanG to be helpful in the last few years of being on this forum.

As for the thread: I just got a software update which reset ASD. I first noticed something seemed odd when the sound of turning the car on suddenly felt a lot beefier, louder and overall nicer than I remembered. But then upon driving I instantly felt the drone that Sport mode gives off. I quickly turned it back off when I got home and the drive back reinforced to me part of why I had it turned off (It's annoying. The other half is that it feels weird for me to have fake engine noise pumped in)
Appreciate 3
DanG10660.50
jefe2000739.50
wjones14658.50
      02-26-2023, 02:51 PM   #48
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I’m a fellow M2 driver that has left ASD on. There are times when it’s very annoying — cruising down the highway — for example. That’s when I turn off ASD by going into Comfort mode. There are many other times when I want the extra aural feedback, and ASD gives me the extra noise in Sport/Sport+ modes.

I come from a 2010 WRX with an SPT catback exhaust. There was never a time when that car wasn’t noisy in the cabin. By contrast, in Comfort with no pumped-in sound, the M2 cabin is a relatively quiet space (with the stock exhaust system). If music is playing or the family is having an animated conversation, sometimes I need the extra ASD noise for shifting the 6MT so I don’t have to keep glancing at the tach.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 06:35 PM   #49
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
No reason to be rude. I've found DanG to be helpful in the last few years of being on this forum.
I haven’t. When he’s not giving wrong information, it’s bad information. Pearl clutcher that loves to self congratulate for muting people. As lame as it comes.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 08:04 AM   #50
ROBM2C
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C , DATSUN 260z, Porche

I have left eveything stock so far. I don’t mind ASD at all . I actually love the sound of the S55 and am looking to add the mPerformance exhaust to make it even more pronounced.

I honestly could never own a car where I didn’t like how it sounded …I feel sorry for guys who invested into this car and hate so much about it.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2023, 08:46 AM   #51
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBM2C View Post
I have left eveything stock so far. I don’t mind ASD at all . I actually love the sound of the S55 and am looking to add the mPerformance exhaust to make it even more pronounced.

I honestly could never own a car where I didn’t like how it sounded …I feel sorry for guys who invested into this car and hate so much about it.
I agree with you, the S55 is not the best sounding engine but its not as bad as everyone made it out to be.
Appreciate 2
ROBM2C314.00
      03-01-2023, 03:35 PM   #52
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye.surgeon View Post
I've had my 2021 M2 Comp for a month, it came from the 1st owner with ASD disabled and a Dinan exhaust. My one disappointment with the car was how quiet it was. Mind you I am coming off a GT4 with a $6k titanium JCR exhaust, so it might be perspective. However I turned ASD on via expert mode on Bimmercode, just to see what it was like, expecting to hate it based on nearly universal online hatred for it, and I actually prefer it. It doesn't sound fakey to me and I don't hear a drone. For me it turns driving the car into a sports car experience, when before it felt like I was driving a sports car with a Camry Hybrid soundtrack dubbed over.

Is ASD different for the Comp models compared to earlier? I just wonder why everyone seems to hate it when I think it sounds better.
No I like it, car is very dull without it. The ASD gives it the aural note change to load level that turbo engines don't make. I.e. the way a NA engine sound responds immediately to throttle input.

I love it...
Appreciate 2
MmmmmM22588.50
      03-03-2023, 10:22 AM   #53
dls-m2c
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C LBB, 2023 X3M Red

I had removed ASD from my 21 M2C very early on in its life. I read this post last week and decided to turn it back on. My opinion has changed a bit in the past week. I was originally not enjoying ASD when my car was new. I don't seem to mind it too much anymore. It is nearly not existent in Efficient Mode (quite a bit of my drive time). In Sport mode, it is a different ballgame. I now kind of like it.

Prior to my M2C I had an E90 335 and a 987 Porsche Cayman S. The Porsche made all sorts of noises due to the intake and engine being right behind the driver's head. It was a pretty sweet sound.

I don't know if I am missing those noises or if BMW changed the sounds of ASD, but it now reminds me of the Cayman. Maybe it is my brain playing tricks on me.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 11:26 AM   #54
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

My thing is that its a fake sound. It could be so well engineered that it sounded amazing but just knowing that its fake it is not gonna work for me.

Its like putting fake noise on an EV when it revs or putting a manual trans on an EV, yeah sure great but does not do it for me.
Appreciate 2
2020m2c180.50
      03-03-2023, 12:24 PM   #55
GetBent
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
This is my first un-naturally asperated engine and I drove it for 4 months with ASD on and now have 2 months with it off. Either way, the sound will never be as good as a nice inline NA 6. For now, I'm sticking with ASD off to be able to stay in tune with the real engine noise while driving.

I've noticed a slight change is the stereo sound with ASD off. Seems to have less bass or something. Almost like the ASD had some noise cancelling properties. Anyone else notice a sound difference in the stereo with ASD off?
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2023, 12:24 PM   #56
FMOS Racing
Boost All the Things
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dls-m2c View Post
Prior to my M2C I had an E90 335 and a 987 Porsche Cayman S. The Porsche made all sorts of noises due to the intake and engine being right behind the driver's head. It was a pretty sweet sound.
I loved the exhaust sounds on my E92 335. It had just the right tone, just the right amount of "burble" on coast down. I was amazed by how good that car sounded. I was asked pretty regularly what exhaust was on it, but it was the factory exhaust from the head to the tailpipes.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 01:45 PM   #57
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMOS Racing View Post
I loved the exhaust sounds on my E92 335. It had just the right tone, just the right amount of "burble" on coast down. I was amazed by how good that car sounded. I was asked pretty regularly what exhaust was on it, but it was the factory exhaust from the head to the tailpipes.
Exactly my experience!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 12:26 PM   #58
MVista
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp.

Garage List
I love it, and it's exaggerated now with my loud Eisenmann Race exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 09:17 AM   #59
dls-m2c
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C LBB, 2023 X3M Red

Back in March, I turned ASD back on and I left it on until yesterday. When I turned it back on, I liked it. The sound reminded my of my old Cayman.

I turned it off yesterday and remembered what a big difference there is with it off. It sounds much more natural and pleasing. Engine noise coming from the front...exhaust noises in the back...just like God intended.

ASD makes the engine sound like it is straining. Off it sounds like it wants to rev even higher.

I doubt very much that I will ever turn ASD back on again.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 09:51 AM   #60
doughboy
Major General
Rep

To expand on my post from 6 months ago....

With it off the engine sounds (and feels in my head) very laggy and the link between foot and engine response is lost, this makes sense as the ASD is designed to add back the instant tone change you get with a N/A engine which lost with a turbo engine.

I recall reading that this was the main design brief of the ASD in turbo M cars.

N/A engine sound changes immediately on throttle plate movement.

Turbo engine sound changes with boost/load boost rises, so it is delayed.

For me that's key reason to leave it on.
Appreciate 1
jefe2000739.50
      09-09-2023, 10:44 AM   #61
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

On my car ASD is practically nonexistent in comfort/economy mode. I use this mode on longer freeway trips. Otherwise I don't mind it in Sport. Sport+ is a bit aggressive though. My exhaust flaps are permanently open in Sport/Sport+ modes so the natural exhaust sound mainly overpowers the ASD in town anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 02:09 AM   #62
dead.pixel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
I’ve been curious about turning mine back on, but it’s been a year (and a phone upgrade) since disabling ASD with Bimmercode and I can’t find the backup to restore it. 😔
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 12:47 PM   #63
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

With it off the engine sounds (and feels in my head) very laggy and the link between foot and engine response is lost, this makes sense as the ASD is designed to add back the instant tone change you get with a N/A engine which lost with a turbo engine.

I recall reading that this was the main design brief of the ASD in turbo M cars.

I never thought about it from that perspective! That makes sense.

It’s fascinating to me though that there’s enthusiasts out there who are happy with and prefer this just for the “feel” of instant feedback while knowing it’s completely fake.

Nothing wrong with that but it’s not me.

It sort of reminds me of the matrix where the real world is grey and crappy but you can choose to live in the pretty but fake world. Something like that.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 02:37 PM   #64
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
I never thought about it from that perspective! That makes sense.

It’s fascinating to me though that there’s enthusiasts out there who are happy with and prefer this just for the “feel” of instant feedback while knowing it’s completely fake.

Nothing wrong with that but it’s not me.

It sort of reminds me of the matrix where the real world is grey and crappy but you can choose to live in the pretty but fake world. Something like that.
I'm an old skool motor fan, even down to owning a vintage two stroke MX bike. I own an EV and love that too, a VW van, all sorts. Love anything on wheels that's fun to drive.

As for ASD I think of it as a well engineered tool to help you accurately control throttle inputs with aural feedback which is otherwise lost to a silenced intake turbo motor.

Unless you buy a fully analogue old car then they're full of fake things.

Fake pops and bangs, fake 'thump' shift in DCT, fake steering feel, fake brake feel...

So a little augmented audio that's a very subtle overlay, to me is no different to a exhaust change or an induction kit, just altering sounds to change the feel of the car.

It's not just bmw, they're all at it, don't kid yourselves.

Last edited by doughboy; 09-21-2023 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      09-21-2023, 03:34 PM   #65
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

It's really just about what you like to hear. Is it really any different from adding an intake or exhaust that doesn't add any power just because it sounds better?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 05:19 PM   #66
veenut28
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2, 6MT

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

This is something I've noticed as well.

I go back and forth on ASD (literally, I toggle the stupid thing on BimmerCode far too frequently). I do feel like my shifts are smoother, particularly 1-2, when it's on. I think that is due to what you described, better than I could have, but I've had the same experience.

That said - the sound drones for me and I can only take it for a day or two before I deactivate it again. I don't care about the "fake" aspect of it so much as the "unnatural" aspect. Something feels off when the engine noises are coming from the side and behind in a front-engine car. I've actually grown to like the S55 sound with ASD off (and burbles off via BimmerLink). Obviously it's not a selling point for the car like with the old NA engines, but it's subtle, pleasant-sounding, and has just enough of a purr at 4K-6K purr to be exciting.
Appreciate 0