BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Low boost pressure compared to boos target pressure and tick noise when warm

02-03-2024, 07:24 AM   #1
NoahFR
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 F87 370

Low boost pressure compared to boos target pressure and tick noise when warm

Hello fellow car enthusiasts,

I hope this message finds you all well. I'm reaching out to the community with a peculiar issue I've been experiencing with my BMW M2 N55, which is currently running a Stage 2+ tune by MHD.

The concern arises when the engine reaches operating temperature, at which point I notice a distinct ticking noise. Additionally, during acceleration, there seems to be a noticeable hole in power accompanied by what sounds like a pressure leak.

Here's a breakdown of the modifications I've made to the car:

Downpipe: MARSHAL catless
Boost and Charge Pipe Kit: FTP Motorsport
Air Filter: Sport BM
Intercooler: do88 Performance
I'm reaching out for any insights, advice, or experiences you may have had with a similar setup. If anyone has encountered a ticking noise or experienced issues with acceleration after similar modifications, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions.

LOG : https://datazap.me/u/noahf/bmw-m2-st...=0&data=4-6-18

SOUND : https://youtube.com/shorts/Jo3w1HbgdGw?feature=share

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 09:20 AM   #2
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Not sure about the ticking noise, but a 2-3 psi difference in boost target and actual points to a leak somewhere. Check connections at the turbo to boost pipe, boost pipe to IC, IC to charge pipe, and charge pipe to throttle body.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 10:37 AM   #3
NoahFR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaze View Post
Not sure about the ticking noise, but a 2-3 psi difference in boost target and actual points to a leak somewhere. Check connections at the turbo to boost pipe, boost pipe to IC, IC to charge pipe, and charge pipe to throttle body.
Thank for you message, I'm going to lift the car to recheck all the connections, but it seems to me that I already had this feeling while driving before installing the charge pipe / boost pipe, I had carried out the replacement after the original one exploded

I read on some posts that the problem could come from the wasegate and it was recommended to add this part: GFB DV+ T9357
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 02:37 PM   #4
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahFR View Post
Thank for you message, I'm going to lift the car to recheck all the connections, but it seems to me that I already had this feeling while driving before installing the charge pipe / boost pipe, I had carried out the replacement after the original one exploded

I read on some posts that the problem could come from the wasegate and it was recommended to add this part: GFB DV+ T9357
Hmm, it's odd that you were experiencing loss of power even before changing anything. Maybe it was the charge pipe starting to fail.

Have you checked to make sure the car isn't throwing any codes? I would think if the diverter valve was malfunctioning there would be a code associated with it. Either way the GFB DV+ is a quality item, I have the same one in my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 03:43 PM   #5
NoahFR
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, it's odd that you were experiencing loss of power even before changing anything. Maybe it was the charge pipe starting to fail.

Have you checked to make sure the car isn't throwing any codes? I would think if the diverter valve was malfunctioning there would be a code associated with it. Either way the GFB DV+ is a quality item, I have the same one in my car.
Yes, I checked the codes and it's ok, no codes come back. I think the noise is affecting my problem but I can't identify it
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 05:24 AM   #6
NoahFR
Rep

I have made a new test; the first acceleration is in mode comfort, and the second acceleration is in mode sport.

LOG : https://datazap.me/u/noahf/m2-test-2...4&tmax=1492.44
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 03:38 PM   #7
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just going off your logs, it certainly looks like you have a boost leak. Boost actual psi keeps falling below target and wgdc goes up to rebuild pressure.

I'm not sure about that ticking noise, but the two issues could absolutely be related. Does the ticking speed up if you rev the engine?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 04:21 AM   #8
NoahFR
Rep

The ticking is always regular, if the engine is idling after 1 minute the ticking stops and if the engine is off and very hot the ticking lasts 10/30 seconds.

This guy have a same sound : https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gjdYXMqwvyw

The sound is slightly different from a heat expansion sound. The intensity and interval do not vary.

Last edited by NoahFR; 02-06-2024 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: add informations
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 06:14 AM   #9
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Might be something with the diverter valve like you said. The noise is coming from that side of the engine and would explain the boost issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 02:07 PM   #10
NoahFR
Rep

Quote:
Might be something with the diverter valve like you said. The noise is coming from that side of the engine and would explain the boost issues.
After 6 hours of work to remove the valve it's good... I confirm that it is this part responsible for my problem after disconnecting the noise disappears

You think I need change part or if a plug a new gfb dv+ on the old part it's good ? The electromagnet does not hold, it releases every second

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 07:20 PM   #11
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Glad you were able to pinpoint the issue! I reused the old portion of my diverter valve when I installed the GFB, but mine wasn't broken. I'm not sure if there's a way to bench test the diverter valve to make sure it's functioning correctly, may be possible in ISTA or something. Guess you could use the old one as long as you're okay with it possibly not working and having to take it back off to replace again.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 06:15 AM   #12
NoahFR
Rep

Quote:
Glad you were able to pinpoint the issue! I reused the old portion of my diverter valve when I installed the GFB, but mine wasn't broken. I'm not sure if there's a way to bench test the diverter valve to make sure it's functioning correctly, may be possible in ISTA or something. Guess you could use the old one as long as you're okay with it possibly not working and having to take it back off to replace again.
Good : Ticking disappear and acceleration is continuously

Not good : I have boost leak (He have power but not full)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 08:56 AM   #13
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

These are the joys of owning a modified car haha, at least you're making some progress. I would check all connections from air filter to throttle body. The FTP boost pipe (turbo to intercooler) wasn't a great fit with my CSF intercooler, could be something there. Good luck and report back!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 11:52 AM   #14
NoahFR
Rep

Quote:
These are the joys of owning a modified car haha, at least you're making some progress. I would check all connections from air filter to throttle body. The FTP boost pipe (turbo to intercooler) wasn't a great fit with my CSF intercooler, could be something there. Good luck and report back!
I check all but I see nothing. I took everything apart and put it back together I still can't reach the target boost pressure.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 01:24 PM   #15
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I check all but I see nothing. I took everything apart and put it back together I still can't reach the target boost pressure.
That's a bummer. Have you tried pressure testing to check for leaks? Check out the link below:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1621695
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 09:58 AM   #16
NoahFR
Rep

Quote:
That's a bummer. Have you tried pressure testing to check for leaks? Check out the link below:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1621695
I make a leak test and I have a leak on the boost pipe.

I removed and replaced the hose clamp.

My boost is on my boost target and WGDC is at 60%. I wait many days for confirm it's ok

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 10:21 AM   #17
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I make a leak test and I have a leak on the boost pipe.

I removed and replaced the hose clamp.

My boost is on my boost target and WGDC is at 60%. I wait many days for confirm it's ok

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the FTP boost pipe fitment. I almost wish I just kept the stock one. Glad you were able to find the leak! Did you make a test kit like the one in that thread I linked?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 01:26 PM   #18
ericlr1225
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT

Running this set pair with CSF since day one without issue but I agree with that the fitment is kinda PITA
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 10:02 AM   #19
NoahFR
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the FTP boost pipe fitment. I almost wish I just kept the stock one. Glad you were able to find the leak! Did you make a test kit like the one in that thread I linked?
Yes I following tutorial, I used tire valves as caps for the hoses, size is perfect and for the air inlet I used a pot.

I also changed a seal at the intercooler inlet
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 11:45 AM   #20
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I following tutorial, I used tire valves as caps for the hoses, size is perfect and for the air inlet I used a pot.

I also changed a seal at the intercooler inlet
Very good. I may try doing this on mine sometime too just to make sure I have no leaks. Congrats and enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0