BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brakes squealing after super hard braking?

02-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
GeraldM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87) LBB 6MT

Brakes squealing after super hard braking?

Last night I had to stop really hard so i slammed onto my brakes. TBH it was like one of those 80-0 braking tests. But afterwards the car started to make a squealing noise (like when a train emergency stops) as i slowed down to a stop. Im not even slamming onto the brakes its just light pressure as i slow to a stop. Do i need to clean the rotors? Rebed the brakes? I dont know what's wrong...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #2
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldM2 View Post
Last night I had to stop really hard so i slammed onto my brakes. TBH it was like one of those 80-0 braking tests. But afterwards the car started to make a squealing noise (like when a train emergency stops) as i slowed down to a stop. Im not even slamming onto the brakes its just light pressure as i slow to a stop. Do i need to clean the rotors? Rebed the brakes? I dont know what's wrong...
That's normal with these brakes. They should quiet down after more driving.
TBH these are not quiet OE brakes even under street driving conditions.

Take it in to the canyons with really tight twisties and by the time you reach the coast or valley, your brakes would be squealing every time you stop.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 07:37 PM   #3
GeraldM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87) LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank.m2 View Post
That's normal with these brakes. They should quiet down after more driving.
TBH these are not quiet OE brakes even under street driving conditions.

Take it in to the canyons with really tight twisties and by the time you reach the coast or valley, your brakes would be squealing every time you stop.
i actually found out the problem was that they were either super dirty or there was a rock in the caliper, cuz i took a pressure washer to the brakes and afterwards the noise stopped.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #4
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldM2 View Post
i actually found out the problem was that they were either super dirty or there was a rock in the caliper, cuz i took a pressure washer to the brakes and afterwards the noise stopped.
It is normal to hear a little noise from time to time, could be a number of things. Rinsing the brakes off will normally clear up noise up as well. OEM pads though should not consistently be making noise.

With track pads, driving around town, etc. will actually cause them to make more noise and in some cases excessive noise (ie like a dump truck coming to a stop). Then, after a day, etc. at the track the noise goes away. It is mostly caused by the brakes being "dirty" in some way.

FYI, bedding of the BMW brakes is best done by just driving the car and braking normally. Giving the brakes time to warm up before hard braking is vary important and giving them time to cool down is important as well. Hard braking on cold rotors is about the worst thing you can do and will cause more harm than good.