BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > KW v3 Coilover Fitment For 2019/2020 M2C

01-09-2020, 07:03 PM   #1
VFK_by_Midnight
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

KW v3 Coilover Fitment For 2019/2020 M2C

I've been searching around for coilovers & it seems like the KW v3's are held in high regard for a first upgrade. However all of the listings I've seen only mention applications for 2016-2018 M2's.

Even on KW's main site, they don't even give you results for KW v3's if you select a 2019/2020 model M2C (it only comes up with the v4 variant).

IND's website seems to display the v3's as an option for the 2020 model, but then when you click on it, there's a table at the bottom that says it's only compatible with 2016-2018 M2's.

Am I missing something here? Are these just oversights from the websites?

I'm assuming the stock suspension is more or less the same between the two models, & the weight difference is only ~200lbs. Not sure what other factors make a big impact on coilover fitment between those two.

Is anyone here running v3's on their M2C? Any issues or oddities with it?

Last edited by VFK_by_Midnight; 01-09-2020 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 05:32 AM   #2
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFK_by_Midnight View Post
I've been searching around for coilovers & it seems like the KW v3's are held in high regard for a first upgrade. However all of the listings I've seen only mention applications for 2016-2018 M2's.

Even on KW's main site, they don't even give you results for KW v3's if you select a 2019/2020 model M2C (it only comes up with the v4 variant).

IND's website seems to display the v3's as an option for the 2020 model, but then when you click on it, there's a table at the bottom that says it's only compatible with 2016-2018 M2's.

Am I missing something here? Are these just oversights from the websites?

I'm assuming the stock suspension is more or less the same between the two models, & the weight difference is only ~200lbs. Not sure what other factors make a big impact on coilover fitment between those two.

Is anyone here running v3's on their M2C? Any issues or oddities with it?
For suspension upgrades M2 and M2C are the exact same apart from top mounts - M2 has single simple strut brace wheras M2C shares superior/stiffer alloy brace from other F8x cars.

KW kit that fits an M2 will also fit an M2C
      01-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #3
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

They probably just didn't update the description from when it was published during the time where the M2C didn't exist yet
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
Chronumn
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Garage List
I'm running them with ground control top hats.

Instagram: Chirard
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 05:50 PM   #5
VFK_by_Midnight
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronumn View Post
I'm running them with ground control top hats.
How do they sit, any issues so far? Also, how far did you drop it?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #6
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
M2 has single simple strut brace wheras M2C shares superior/stiffer alloy brace from other F8x cars.
So the aluminum M2C brace I believe is less stiff than the M2 brace.

Reason being that aluminum, steel, and titanium all have the same stiffeness to weight ratio. So the M2 steel brace is therefore stiffer since it weighs more.

What the M2C aluminum brace loses, it makes up for in the addition of the carbon fiber brace. Carbon fiber has a much higher stiffeness to weight ratio. So you end up with something which I assume is the same or stiffer than the M2 steel, but much lighter weight.

This is why I don't recommend people who convert the M2 to the M2C bracing to skip running the carbon strut bar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_modulus
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      01-11-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
M2 has single simple strut brace wheras M2C shares superior/stiffer alloy brace from other F8x cars.
So the aluminum M2C brace I believe is less stiff than the M2 brace.

Reason being that aluminum, steel, and titanium all have the same stiffeness to weight ratio. So the M2 steel brace is therefore stiffer since it weighs more.

What the M2C aluminum brace loses, it makes up for in the addition of the carbon fiber brace. Carbon fiber has a much higher stiffeness to weight ratio. So you end up with something which I assume is the same or stiffer than the M2 steel, but much lighter weight.

This is why I don't recommend people who convert the M2 to the M2C bracing to skip running the carbon strut bar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_modulus
After swapping out oem firewall braces on my OGM2, I ran just alloy brace (2 large locator spigots thicker section cw double the fixing points compared to 2 simple steel braces) for awhile until I sourced CFRP brace.

Alloy brace only definitely helped front end response more so than oem firewall braces.