Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 07:46 AM   #47
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
[VIDEO]
Does BMW UK promote the M2 Competition as the "M2 Competition Package" ?

Name:  M2C_Package.jpg
Views: 3923
Size:  87.6 KB
      06-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #48
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Doesn't seem to?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #49
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I had an M2C for the weekend. It's way better than the OG. The S55 makes all the difference. OG M2 feels like an excellent-handling M235i in comparison. M2C is an incredible bargain as it offers thrills on par with cars much more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #50
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
I am absolutely thrilled with my Mineral Grey OGM2.

I will wait for Generation 2 of the M2.
      06-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #51
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
I had an M2C for the weekend. It's way better than the OG. The S55 makes all the difference. OG M2 feels like an excellent-handling M235i in comparison. M2C is an incredible bargain as it offers thrills on par with cars much more expensive.
Except it sounds absolutely horrible by comparison.

I love the unique character of the OG M2 ‼️
      06-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #52
BrianShaw23
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is, M2

I'd prefer my 2018 M2 LCI.

I'm not a fan of the new M2 Comp. It has a hideous looking muffler that sticks out like a you-know-what, it sounds worse than the previous gen M2 both in engine sound and exhaust sound and the competition wheels on it don't look that great either. Also BMW somehow managed to make the car as heavy or heavier than the M4. The ugly muffler alone is totally unacceptable on BMW's part, releasing a car with that thing sticking out from under it.

It looks like the next gen M3 will a similar muffler. I don't know what BMW is thinking in regards to design, but I guess it's not surprising when you see how ridiculously large their new front grilles look.
Appreciate 1
dcmac438.50
      06-10-2019, 09:37 PM   #53
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianShaw23 View Post

I'm not a fan of the new M2 Comp. It has a hideous looking muffler that sticks out like a you-know-what, it sounds worse than the previous gen M2 both in engine sound and exhaust sound and the competition wheels on it don't look that great either. Also BMW somehow managed to make the car as heavy or heavier than the M4. The ugly muffler alone is totally unacceptable on BMW's part, releasing a car with that thing sticking out from under it.

It looks like the next gen M3 will a similar muffler. I don't know what BMW is thinking in regards to design, but I guess it's not surprising when you see how ridiculously large their new front grilles look.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 4
MDuckie93.00
BlkSVT388.50
Kamaan0.00
      06-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #54
Cornally
Rep
Drives: '18 BMW M2

I don't know fellas. I love my '18 LCI, but, I drove an M2 Comp at the M-Town Tour and it was fantastic. It sounded great, pulled like a freight train. It's a no-brainer if you're going at it without an OG M2.

If I didn't just dump $$$ into full PPF, I'd consider taking the hit.

p.s. I still prefer our exhaust note, don't worry . </horsebeaten>
Appreciate 2
MDuckie93.00
      06-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #55
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianShaw23 View Post

None of those things matter or have a meaningful impact on the experience from the driver's seat.

I came away from the M2C lusting after it. Perfect everyday fun car. The extra power and S55 higher-revving powerband are major improvements.

I've driven the OG M2 multiple times over the years (LCI, both 6MT and DCT, etc) and have always come away with some degree of disappointment. I love the idea of it and have tried to force myself to buy it many times, thinking that it would grow on me. The M2C fully meets my expectations and I will own one or a CS in the near future.
Appreciate 2
MDuckie93.00
      06-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #56
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
None of those things matter or have a meaningful impact on the experience from the driver's seat.

I came away from the M2C lusting after it. Perfect everyday fun car. The extra power and S55 higher-revving powerband are major improvements.

I've driven the OG M2 multiple times over the years (LCI, both 6MT and DCT, etc) and have always come away with some degree of disappointment. I love the idea of it and have tried to force myself to buy it many times, thinking that it would grow on me. The M2C fully meets my expectations and I will own one or a CS in the near future.
I completely understand your view. But are you one to shy away from tuning?
A simple tune essentially eliminates the power gap between the 2 vehicles.

If you want more power then the answer is clear, S55 easily has more head room for more power.
Appreciate 1
dcmac438.50
      06-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #57
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
What made the previous beemers more drive worthy, other than steering

The m2 was hailed as best drivers car in a long time
The steering feel accounts for 80% of the driver-road connection, and is the first thing that can be felt when driving my 135i (hydraulic steering) and M2 (electric steering) back to back.
The other minor differences are seating position (M2 doesn't tilt back as much) and foot pedal positions (it seems to me the gas pedal is pushed to the left by the huge center console.
All other differences (and there are many of them) are in favor of the M2.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #58
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
The steering is not a minor thing, it is a HUGE deal.

The rest is being surrounded by "electronic everything," and too much weight, which turns the car into something akin to driving a car in an arcade or video game. My 2000 clown shoe Z3M coupe with the lowly 240 HP S52 engine is about 1000 times more enjoyable and engaging to drive than any M2 ever was or ever will be. In a sense, I'd rather drive my old 1973 2002 (not tii) which must have turned to a pile of rust several decades ago.
Just curious, have you tried the Sport+ mode?
It seems to solve 2 of your complaints: turns off the electronic nannies (mostly) and firms up the steering substantially (still not the same feel as the hydraulic in a 1-series).
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:07 PM   #59
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Just curious, have you tried the Sport+ mode?
It seems to solve 2 of your complaints: turns off the electronic nannies (mostly) and firms up the steering substantially (still not the same feel as the hydraulic in a 1-series).
Yes. But if you ever use cruise control, you get kicked out of Sport+ mode and downgraded to Sport Mode. This happens to me constantly.

No matter, Sport Plus mode is a poor substitute for the driving experience in an older BMW.
      06-12-2019, 06:25 AM   #60
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

These threads are fun

Both cars are great but I prefer the OG for sound and looks. In fact I quickly bought the OG right after I saw pictures/reviews of the M2C.

I'm surprised anyone other than complete track junkie can justify upgrading from M2 to M2C. The difference in my opinion is not worth it.
Appreciate 4
Ikester192120.50
dcmac438.50
Dr.Deep1827.00
      06-12-2019, 07:35 AM   #61
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Yes. But if you ever use cruise control, you get kicked out of Sport+ mode and downgraded to Sport Mode. This happens to me constantly.

No matter, Sport Plus mode is a poor substitute for the driving experience in an older BMW.
And how many times are you using cruise control, plus on the hwy it prob better to be using comfort mode , better for fuel efficiency
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:12 AM   #62
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
And how many times are you using cruise control, plus on the hwy it prob better to be using comfort mode , better for fuel efficiency
I have a 155 mile drive I do frequently, between my primary residence in the mountains, and a house in the city that I share with my business partner. The drive is predominantly on 2 lane undivided highway, with about 1/4 of it on the freeway. We have lots of speed enforcement and sneaky cops who hide in places you can't see until you are right upon them. Generally, you can go 5 mph over the limit without getting cited, but much more than that is risky.

There are curvy and interesting parts of the drive, however much of it is flat and uninteresting. There aren't good places to hide for the cops in the curvy parts of the drive, so I take that into consideration.
Were I to speed a lot, I might save 10 minutes on the drive (out of 2.5 hours) which isn't worth getting a lot of tickets. So I go 5 over, however when I pass I really let it go :-) I also like to downshift and go fast in the curves with the first level of traction control turned off, in sport+ mode.

But in the long boring parts of the drive, I put it in cruise control set at 5 mph over the speed limit; this is actually at 7 or 8 mph over the limit on the speedometer, because BMW, in their infinite wisdom, exaggerates the speed on the speedo vs. the real speed you can observe using gps on either a Garmin or an app on your smartphone. I put it in cruise control when I do to avoid wavering in speed and risking a ticket because maybe I was going 72 in the 65 mph zone; not worth it when the driving is really boring.

Fuel economy is not a major concern to me; with the amount of driving I do, and the fact that I am not wasteful or excessive in my driving style, I will save $25/year in fuel cost by trying to drive economically, which is not worth it to me.

Long answer to a short question :-)

Generally I have gotten away with this strategy.
      06-12-2019, 09:30 PM   #63
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have a 155 mile drive I do frequently, between my primary residence in the mountains, and a house in the city that I share with my business partner. The drive is predominantly on 2 lane undivided highway, with about 1/4 of it on the freeway. We have lots of speed enforcement and sneaky cops who hide in places you can't see until you are right upon them. Generally, you can go 5 mph over the limit without getting cited, but much more than that is risky.

There are curvy and interesting parts of the drive, however much of it is flat and uninteresting. There aren't good places to hide for the cops in the curvy parts of the drive, so I take that into consideration.
Were I to speed a lot, I might save 10 minutes on the drive (out of 2.5 hours) which isn't worth getting a lot of tickets. So I go 5 over, however when I pass I really let it go :-) I also like to downshift and go fast in the curves with the first level of traction control turned off, in sport+ mode.

But in the long boring parts of the drive, I put it in cruise control set at 5 mph over the speed limit; this is actually at 7 or 8 mph over the limit on the speedometer, because BMW, in their infinite wisdom, exaggerates the speed on the speedo vs. the real speed you can observe using gps on either a Garmin or an app on your smartphone. I put it in cruise control when I do to avoid wavering in speed and risking a ticket because maybe I was going 72 in the 65 mph zone; not worth it when the driving is really boring.

Fuel economy is not a major concern to me; with the amount of driving I do, and the fact that I am not wasteful or excessive in my driving style, I will save $25/year in fuel cost by trying to drive economically, which is not worth it to me.

Long answer to a short question :-)

Generally I have gotten away with this strategy.
From what you're describing, the car is working exactly as it should.
You put it in Sport+ before the curvy stretches. You enjoy it.
When you reach the boring stretches, you turn cruise on, and the car drops to Sport. Just a tad less aggressive than Sport+. The biggest difference is that DSC is turned on. But you don't notice it, because you're on cruise and on a boring stretch.

I agree it's still not the same as the hydraulic steering of older Bimmers. But the entire industry has moved to electric. Even Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 11:49 PM   #64
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
From what you're describing, the car is working exactly as it should.
You put it in Sport+ before the curvy stretches. You enjoy it.
When you reach the boring stretches, you turn cruise on, and the car drops to Sport. Just a tad less aggressive than Sport+. The biggest difference is that DSC is turned on. But you don't notice it, because you're on cruise and on a boring stretch.

I agree it's still not the same as the hydraulic steering of older Bimmers. But the entire industry has moved to electric. Even Porsche.
EPS is enough to motivate a sane person to hang himself in the closet
      06-13-2019, 01:33 AM   #65
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
EPS is enough to motivate a sane person to hang himself in the closet
Are you on medication mate? This doesn't sound good. At all.

You need to find help. I'm serious.

Cheers
Robin(ex E90 M3/1M)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #66
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Are you on medication mate? This doesn't sound good. At all.

You need to find help. I'm serious.

Cheers
Robin(ex E90 M3/1M)
I thought it was pretty damned funny. I guess everyone has a different sense of humor.
Appreciate 0