BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Rear parking sensor on/off switch installed

08-19-2018, 05:18 AM   #155
danm2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

This was one feature of the M2 that I couldn't stand!! Randomly came across this thread and have instantly purchased the part, hope to get it fitted in the next few days! This is a God send!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:06 PM   #156
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Hi M2018,
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2018 View Post
Apologies for my dumb question. Does the switch turn the backup camera on when the car is moving forward?
You can configure it to do this: have a look at my post #148 in this thread (its a few above your question). I've configured it so that I can turn it on while moving forward (I've used Bimmercode to do this, and the screen images show how I've set this).

Note that I have installed the switch in this thread, even though I have the LCI firmware that mostly removes the need for the switch I wanted to be able to turn on the camera when pulling into a space to confirm that my rear is within a marked space ... and as I like the rear sensor/camera staying on sometimes, I want to be able to control when it turns off (the LCI firmware turns off the sensor as soon as you take it out of reverse).

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachbluem2 View Post
No it doesn't when moving forward. It will turn the camera/sensors on if you are in neutral at a light (I have the MT so no promises on DCT). I use it sometimes if someone is insanely close to me at a red light. Happens more often then you think
Hi longbeachbluem2,
Not to pick at nits, but as I've answered M2018, you can configure the car via Bimmercode and the console switch to be able to turn on the rear camera while moving forward I have the DCT, so I'm engaging the rear camera (via the switch) while in Drive and moving slowly - as you can see from my configuration (post #148) the switch won't work at speeds above 15 Km/h.

If memory serves me correctly, you can nominate the speed/distance combination at which the camera turns off (I think you could even drive it at 100 Km/h without it turning off). Again, easy enough to do with Bimmercode

One minor side-effect of how my configuration plays out is that when stopped on a hill (at say traffic lights), if when I go to pull away and the car rolls slightly backwards (because I'm slow to hit the accelerator after releasing the brake), the camera comes on Its kind of fun ... and reminds you of when you've allowed the car to roll backwards ... however minor the roll is!

Cheers,
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2018, 10:15 PM   #157
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hi danm2,
Quote:
Originally Posted by danm2 View Post
This was one feature of the M2 that I couldn't stand!! Randomly came across this thread and have instantly purchased the part, hope to get it fitted in the next few days! This is a God send!!!
Although you've already now purchased the part, you don't actually need to do so - a later firmware version (of ISTEP) should actually fix the problem.

Starting with the LCI firmware, BMW modified the behaviour of the rear sensors so that they turned off as soon as you took it out of Reverse (I have the DCT, but I believe this was the same for the manual).

If you have an earlier build car, its easy enough to get BMW to update it for you at the next service (just make some noise about the your phone not reliably connecting with the iDrive system) and ask the dealer to fix it. I have a good relationship with the dealer, and they just did a firmware update when I asked for it

Should it help, I written up a post (#148 on this thread) on how I configured my LCI build with the console switch so that I got the best of both worlds

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 02:19 PM   #158
uashruf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. One of my favorite mods.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 12:03 AM   #159
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Is it possible to code the parking sensor button to also turn on the rear view camera by default? A little silly you have to rock iDrive controller left and press each time to enable it. 2018 M2
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 08:48 PM   #160
Scrape
Car Guy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Great thread! I am hooked. I actually want to hook up front sensors and a front camera on my car. I have the bimmer-tech front camera kit on order and plan on using the camera switch to activate it. Anyone know if this is doable? TIA
      01-12-2019, 01:07 AM   #161
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hi bmxcamel,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxcamel View Post
Is it possible to code the parking sensor button to also turn on the rear view camera by default? A little silly you have to rock iDrive controller left and press each time to enable it. 2018 M2
Agreed - I wrote up this thread to see if anyone had been able to resolve it. ZPrime's advice that the setting is likely part of the button firmware is probably on the money (as to why it can't be coded), but I'm totally into trying something if anyone has been able to find it.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #162
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Has anyone installed this button set, if so does the camera button do anything?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 05:37 AM   #163
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
Hi danm2,

Although you've already now purchased the part, you don't actually need to do so - a later firmware version (of ISTEP) should actually fix the problem.

Starting with the LCI firmware, BMW modified the behaviour of the rear sensors so that they turned off as soon as you took it out of Reverse (I have the DCT, but I believe this was the same for the manual).

If you have an earlier build car, its easy enough to get BMW to update it for you at the next service (just make some noise about the your phone not reliably connecting with the iDrive system) and ask the dealer to fix it. I have a good relationship with the dealer, and they just did a firmware update when I asked for it

Should it help, I written up a post (#148 on this thread) on how I configured my LCI build with the console switch so that I got the best of both worlds

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
That's quite interesting, I do have a M2C, delivered a month ago but collected last week, and my car doesn't behave that way.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 08:43 AM   #164
M2driverWV
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _debo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
Hi danm2,

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
That's quite interesting, I do have a M2C, delivered a month ago but collected last week, and my car doesn't behave that way.
Has anyone tried the switch that has the camera button on it? Curious if this would activate our rear camera only without pdc?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #165
mastrchee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Bought the panel without realising that it doesn’t work without the backup camera. So mine’s for sale if anyone is interested (UK)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 01:59 PM   #166
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danm2 View Post
I am in Australia
M2 DCT, I reverse park and as soon as I disengage reverse the beeping stops.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 10:53 AM   #167
jtl1981
Registered
Rep
Drives: 220i

Hi this is my first post. I am going to have a go at adding this to my F22, but I am struggling to find a secondhand 54pin connector with wires already attached, anybody know the part number or where I may get one?

Many Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 03:13 PM   #168
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Bought a new one from ECS (was concerned about surface quality of used) and installed today. Great fix.

I know newer firmware changes the behavior but I still wanted to install this.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 03:32 AM   #169
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Bought a new one from ECS (was concerned about surface quality of used) and installed today. Great fix.

I know newer firmware changes the behavior but I still wanted to install this.
Yup, new istep updates fixed the staying on pdc issue. But just like you I plan on installing a new switch as well because I want to be able to trigger the reverse camera.
      04-15-2020, 05:47 PM   #170
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
If anyone is looking to add parking sensor switch. I have a as new operating unit for sale that was in my M2 for a short while.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:04 PM   #171
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Yup, new istep updates fixed the staying on pdc issue. But just like you I plan on installing a new switch as well because I want to be able to trigger the reverse camera.
Not sure if ISTEP version or something else could play a factor in this but I've noticed on the rare occasion I press the rear sensor switch it doesn't turn on the rear camera automatically, it just turns on the sensors and shows the associated image. You have to use the idrive controller to click left and then turn the camera on manually which is a little cumbersome.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2020, 10:02 PM   #172
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Not sure if ISTEP version or something else could play a factor in this but I've noticed on the rare occasion I press the rear sensor switch it doesn't turn on the rear camera automatically, it just turns on the sensors and shows the associated image. You have to use the idrive controller to click left and then turn the camera on manually which is a little cumbersome.
Hmm interesting, thanks for letting me know. I never tried this myself, but can you turn on the reverse camera using just the idrive controller?
      04-15-2020, 10:48 PM   #173
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
can you turn on the reverse camera using just the idrive controller?
Don't think so. I'm pretty sure the only two ways to activate it are to put the car in reverse or press the pdc switch and then turn it on manually. Also don't think you can turn the camera on independently of pdc. Maybe there's a way to get around that with coding but I'm uncertain.
Appreciate 2
F87source7177.50
      05-13-2020, 11:48 PM   #174
Sommar
Rep
Drives: M2 N55

Hi,

I just installed the "P" button but unfortunately it doesn't work on my M2 LCI (2018 N55) with DCT. All buttons seams to work fine and the LED turns green when reversing.
The missing wire was just for cars with camera or to i misunderstand the information?
Do I need to code the button? (Bimmercode)

Located in Sweden so a euro spec car.

BR,
Jonas
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 02:46 AM   #175
PerF
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommar View Post
Hi,

I just installed the "P" button but unfortunately it doesn't work on my M2 LCI (2018 N55) with DCT. All buttons seams to work fine and the LED turns green when reversing.
The missing wire was just for cars with camera or to i misunderstand the information?
Do I need to code the button? (Bimmercode)

Located in Sweden so a euro spec car.

BR,
Jonas

If I remember correctly, you must have the camera for the button to work.
If you do not have the camera, you need to add the missing wires
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 02:50 PM   #176
Sommar
Rep
Drives: M2 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerF View Post
If I remember correctly, you must have the camera for the button to work.
If you do not have the camera, you need to add the missing wires
Sweet!
I will look deeper in this thread.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0