BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > New Owner(soon) first steps?

02-14-2020, 10:34 AM   #1
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

New Owner(soon) first steps?

So i finally got confirmation that my dealership has secured me my car. Now i'm just waiting delivery.

Now my question is, are there any things that people recommend i do when i get the car? Mods, things to look out for? Things like that?

I was reading through and some people are buying a bumpstop for the clutch (not sure what it really does tbh), filters (plan on this as i love turbo noise), and just general setting up of the car. But other than that is there anything else people can recommend? I do plan on keeping the car stock for a while, however if there are minor mods that just heighten the driving experience i would love to add those in.

Cosmetically i'm going to be getting the blue interior trim pieces, i think IND makes them? Any other small comforts people have added to make their experience just that much more enjoyable?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Don't rod it until far after break-in.

You might want to consider PPF on the front end before rock chips set in.

I wouldn't do any bumpstop mods, especially when brand new. Too many people have had tranny issues with that mod, but that's your call.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Wealth of knowledge on the forums. Everyone asks this same question every time. I recommend you read around for a bit and then ask a more guided question than a generic question
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 11:24 AM   #4
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Wealth of knowledge on the forums. Everyone asks this same question every time. I recommend you read around for a bit and then ask a more guided question than a generic question
I've been reading around quite a bit. And i havnt seen a post that is asking what i'm asking.

Maybe my wording is not very good but i'm asking if there are any small things i can do to enhance the experience.

For example, when i had my BRZ, there were a lot of things i could do. There were whiteline bushings, shifter bushings to increase shifter feedback, removing of the clutch spring and lowering the clutch to improve feedback and response, K&N filters, armrests (first gen BRZs didnt have one), DRL mods, lighting mods and all of these are relativly cheap things to do which enhance the experience a bit.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #5
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
I've been reading around quite a bit. And i havnt seen a post that is asking what i'm asking.

Maybe my wording is not very good but i'm asking if there are any small things i can do to enhance the experience.

For example, when i had my BRZ, there were a lot of things i could do. There were whiteline bushings, shifter bushings to increase shifter feedback, removing of the clutch spring and lowering the clutch to improve feedback and response, K&N filters, armrests (first gen BRZs didnt have one), DRL mods, lighting mods and all of these are relativly cheap things to do which enhance the experience a bit.
Here is an entire thread on cheap M2 mods.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1300593

Tinting the windows, getting painted front reflectors, weathertech floor liners for wet seasons, engine spacers, coding for the folding mirrors disabling ASD are all simple things that I did that come to mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
xxyion
Captain
Rep

perfect thank you. That was exactly the list i've been searching for!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 12:31 PM   #7
SilverScotty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, you should Really consider getting at least the front end PPF'd immediately. I did within the first 80 miles and can attest that it has save A LOT of paint dings on the car in the first 4k miles. In fact, I'm taking it back in to do the roof, doors and rear quarter panels because I'm a huge believer in it now.

I put on the carbon front splash guards right away but Still got a small rock chip on the rear pass quarter panel about a 1/4" above the larger piece the PPF place put on. Very irritating. I'm committed to full protection now. The car is beautiful and if you want to keep it that way, PPF is the way to go. It is quite $$$$ though.
Appreciate 1
Anthony1s755.50
      02-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #8
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverScotty View Post
If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, you should Really consider getting at least the front end PPF'd immediately. I did within the first 80 miles and can attest that it has save A LOT of paint dings on the car in the first 4k miles. In fact, I'm taking it back in to do the roof, doors and rear quarter panels because I'm a huge believer in it now.

I put on the carbon front splash guards right away but Still got a small rock chip on the rear pass quarter panel about a 1/4" above the larger piece the PPF place put on. Very irritating. I'm committed to full protection now. The car is beautiful and if you want to keep it that way, PPF is the way to go. It is quite $$$$ though.
Yeah i'm defiently not a stranger to rock chips. My S2000 is full of dings and small craters. What would you recommend as far as coverage goes? I was thinking full hood and front bumper with coverage on the front fenders but i know that in itself might be close to 2000$ and right now i wont be able to drop that kind money (since it all went to my down payment).
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 01:26 PM   #9
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
The biggest thing you can do for yourself is get rid of the fake engine noise. Either code out ASD or install an ASD bypass harness. I installed the bypass harness so that software upgrades didn’t turn ASD back on.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 01:41 PM   #10
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
The biggest thing you can do for yourself is get rid of the fake engine noise. Either code out ASD or install an ASD bypass harness. I installed the bypass harness so that software upgrades didn’t turn ASD back on.
Oh yeah i was reading about the harness compared to the coding. I heard that coding out the noise still leaves some residual white noise which can be annoying depending on a persons sensitivity to those frequencies (me), but the harness actually bypasses it completely.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 01:47 PM   #11
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Oh yeah i was reading about the harness compared to the coding. I heard that coding out the noise still leaves some residual white noise which can be annoying depending on a persons sensitivity to those frequencies (me), but the harness actually bypasses it completely.
I love hearing the actual engine and my M Performance exhaust with no fake noise.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #12
SilverScotty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Yeah i'm defiently not a stranger to rock chips. My S2000 is full of dings and small craters. What would you recommend as far as coverage goes? I was thinking full hood and front bumper with coverage on the front fenders but i know that in itself might be close to 2000$ and right now i wont be able to drop that kind money (since it all went to my down payment).
You would have to get quotes to see how much it would cost in your area, but the place I went to did the Front End package which was the bumper, hood, front fenders, mirrors, door cups, and a larger piece on the rear quarter panel. That was $2k. I paid an additional $1K for the running boards and full tint including the windshield. So ya, $3k was a tough pill to swallow Right after buying the car but it seems worth it at this point. Even saved a door ding on the front fender from some jackhole needlessly parking like an idiot right next to me and had trouble getting out of their car. Didn't notice until later or I probably in the moment would have returned the favor since my car had only been parked there for less than 10 min.

Can you tell I'm over that? lol
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 03:05 PM   #13
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Get that front plate mounting sorted out, unless you dont mind holes in your bumpers. I got a tow hook mount, i'm not super pleased with it and it blocks one of my parking sensors sometimes.

There's an ebay clip on mount for like 100 dollars that i'll probably pick up at some point. Looks stock essentially and clips to your lower grille.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #14
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Get that front plate mounting sorted out, unless you dont mind holes in your bumpers. I got a tow hook mount, i'm not super pleased with it and it blocks one of my parking sensors sometimes.

There's an ebay clip on mount for like 100 dollars that i'll probably pick up at some point. Looks stock essentially and clips to your lower grille.
Yeah i already ordered one from Amazon and i've already requested the dealership to not drill any holes. I only hope the dealership that is sending us the car didnt already do that however i think Illinois is less strict on front plate laws and i didnt see one on the pictures so heres hoping.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      02-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #15
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

+1 on PPF.
First thing I did after picking up my car: drove straight to the PPF installer.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 06:06 PM   #16
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C, SOM, 6MT

Anyone getting it on their doors or have it on their doors? My guy quoted me like $375 per door (he does tremendous work on some very high end stuff too). But I'm not sure if it's worth it. Might be since I garage park it next to another vehicle. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 06:16 PM   #17
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

I'd spend the door money on the rear bumper PPF. I did mine and it saved it from some A holes licence plate bolt scratches. I had to have the bumper rewrapped to make it perfect again but no damage to the paint.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:02 PM   #18
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C, SOM, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I'd spend the door money on the rear bumper PPF. I did mine and it saved it from some A holes licence plate bolt scratches. I had to have the bumper rewrapped to make it perfect again but no damage to the paint.
How the heck did that happen? I'm assuming in a parking lot situation?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:00 PM   #19
GrandMasta1
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Yeah i already ordered one from Amazon and i've already requested the dealership to not drill any holes. I only hope the dealership that is sending us the car didnt already do that however i think Illinois is less strict on front plate laws and i didnt see one on the pictures so heres hoping.
link to the clip-on license plate?? I've been running without a license plate for a while because I didn't want to block one of the parking sensors with a toe hook placement
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:03 PM   #20
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroglava View Post
How the heck did that happen? I'm assuming in a parking lot situation?
I was parallel parked in front of a restaurant. Some twitt bounced off my back bumper 3 times.
Appreciate 0