BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > The Ultimate Wiper Hivemind Upgrade Thread

01-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

The Ultimate Wiper Hivemind Upgrade Thread

This is gonna be a hodgepodge of my thoughts. I don't feel like spending more time proof-reading and editing this. So please excuse if it comes off a bit scattered an inelegant.

So the OEM wipers suck. My M2 is 22 months old. 8 months of which I didn't drive my car because it was getting repaired from an accident. Probably another 2 months total it was in a shop getting upgrades. And probably a bunch more of ownership time I wasn't driving in situations that require wipers. In my experience, wipers should last much longer than this.

The problems I'm having is the wipers chatter bad and leave streaks now. Even worse when there is some salt on the windows.

In my previous vehicle I found the best combination was RainX 2-1 washer fluid, and their Fusion wiper blades. However both of these are no longer available. Seems that the fluid was discontinued, because it's become ridiculously hard to find. And the other fluids do not compare to it. Either because they have too high of a freezing point, don't offer water beading, or include bug&tar solvents... And for what happened to the blades I like, RainX doesn't make those blades for our car.

For fluid, on paper it seems that Prestone 3-1 is comparable. It's a little more costly. Almost twice as expensive. But it includes water beading formula and doesn't include bug&tar solvents. I find the bug&tar fluid is an unnecessary solvent. Let's say it eats through bugs, it's just gonna smear bug guts all over your window. If bug are your problem, don't use your wipers and wash your car. Also I rather not have solvents in the fluid as I feel it eats through ceramic coating. Even the OEM BMW fluid has destroyed my ceramic coating and I believe that just has alcohol in it.

Ok, wiper blades. My requirements are that they last and look good. They can't be an eyesore. Some have big bulky attachment points. This is my first time using the I&L connector, previous car was J-hook, and it seems the bulky attachment isn't an issue with I&L but we'll see.

RainX has 4 blade options for our car:

RainX Arch: Is an entry level blade. I'm not an entry level man, so no thanks

RainX Water Repellancy: What you do with these is run the blades for a few minutes on a dry window after you first install them. This applies a water beading coating to the window. I think this is a stupid way to accomplish this. After a little while, the coating wears off the blades and is useless. I find it's better to apply a ceramic coating and/or use water beading washer fluid to accomplish this. The blades are around $19 each.

RainX Silicone Endura: These are their new top line product. They use a silicone wiper blade. I haven't used them, but they seem really nice. These have a symmetrical pyramid shape to them.

RainX Silicone Advantage: These are the same as the Endura, but have an asymmetrical shape to them. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about. These are $34 each. And are available at my local Advanced Auto with a $20 discount, so this is what I am going to give a try.

Additionally, another OEM+ upgrade brand I found is Trico. However, they have so many options available that I gave up trying to figure out their differences and pick one. I believe they generally are cheaper than the $34/ea RainX ones though.

https://www.tricoproducts.com/find-w...2018-m2-743725

Ok, that's it. I wasn't going to purchase new fluid and blades for another couple weeks. Just because I don't have a low fluid warning. I can make do with my current blades for now. And there is other more important stuff I needed to take care of. But writing this post got me excited to buy these things. So I'm heading to the store right after I submit this post. Will update with my experience.

And if anyone else has a better blade they recommend, leave a comment with it. I really only did an hour or so of research and am posting my findings and thoughts. So there may be something better I'm missing.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 01-25-2020 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

So I did end up purchasing the RainX Advantage blade, and I'm not happy with them. They have an ugly dumb connector that I refuse to have to look at everyday. Will be returning them tomorrow. I have a feeling there isn't going to be anything out there that resolves this, because all blades I've seen have universal mounting brackets that accept adapters to different blade types, causing the mounting point to become excessively large for a single application

Here are some pictures compared to stock

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

have you tried Bosch icons?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
have you tried Bosch icons?
Tried them, no. Seen them, yes.

They have a similarly bulky attachment point. I truly believe stock is the only option that will look decent.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 03:27 AM   #5
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Maybe just give the window a thorough clean with a proprietary cleaner and then fit new blades.

If it went into a spray booth at any point during the repairs the wipers may have been exposed to a variety of solvents which might also have deposited on the glass.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #6
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

make sure youre cleaning your wiper blades too. Personally I find the OEM blades very good but we don't have the same weather and salt over here california
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:45 PM   #7
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I found the mounting bracket for the Bosch Icons to be very similar to OEM
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Maybe just give the window a thorough clean with a proprietary cleaner and then fit new blades.

If it went into a spray booth at any point during the repairs the wipers may have been exposed to a variety of solvents which might also have deposited on the glass.

HTH
No over-spray I've noticed. But thanks for the insight. I'm gonna redo the ceramic coating this spring, which involves polishing the window. So hopefully that helps. I can probably hold off on new blades until then too. It's just a small top section of the passenger side that streaks, and the chattering I can live with as it's only in certain conditions it appears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
make sure youre cleaning your wiper blades too. Personally I find the OEM blades very good but we don't have the same weather and salt over here california
I wipe them with a microfiber when I manually wash the car. When going through the auto wash, I run the wipers a few times in an attempt to clean them. I'm wondering if I can find a more durable squeegee material strip and slide that into the current frames. Maybe I could've taken the squeegee out of the RainX blades I purchased and used that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
I found the mounting bracket for the Bosch Icons to be very similar to OEM
Really? This is what your'e talking about, right?

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 06:42 PM   #9
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post

Really? This is what your'e talking about, right?

Yes, I did have a look again tonight with the original OEM wiper blades vs the Icons. I hadn't noticed how much more plastic there was on the wiper blade part rather than the arm attachment point. I do now see the size difference but I can't say that I particularly noticed the size difference on the car. I don't think the extra plastic moves the arm further away from the glass, i.e. height of the mounting point is the same but there is more plastic running along the wiper blade at the attachment point.

Actually I found the OEM blades were usually least effective at arm attachment point (i.e. they'd often leave a streak there while the ends of the blades would sweep cleanly) and the Icons are better. Of course, this isn't really a fair comparison since I'm using new Icons vs 2+ year old OEM (although I noticed the poor cleaning at the attachment for the last year).

I would offer to take a photo the next time I take the car out but unfortunately I'm not really seeing any daylight with the car at the moment, my commute to and from the train station is always in the dark at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:05 PM   #10
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I use nothing but Bosch MicroEdge for temperate weather.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 08:53 AM   #11
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

I just bought the rainx latitude 2 in 1 blades, they come in tomorrow. The bulkiness of the connection didn't even cross my mind and I definitely see it bothering me. Ill report back tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 05:55 PM   #12
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

Definitely bulkier, but I think I can cope since they're so much better than the crappy ones I just took off
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 07:09 PM   #13
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by khj24 View Post
Definitely bulkier, but I think I can cope since they're so much better than the crappy ones I just took off
Which blades?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 07:36 PM   #14
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by khj24 View Post
Which blades?
Rain X latitude 2 in 1
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6619.00
      07-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #15
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Anybody discover any new findings on wiper blade options? I noticed mine were chattering across the windshield during a heavy storm yesterday. No streaks but I imagine they're getting towards the end of their life as they're now over two years old. If nothing else, I might just go OEM through FCP Euro so I can swap them for free in the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 07:10 PM   #16
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaze View Post
Anybody discover any new findings on wiper blade options? I noticed mine were chattering across the windshield during a heavy storm yesterday. No streaks but I imagine they're getting towards the end of their life as they're now over two years old. If nothing else, I might just go OEM through FCP Euro so I can swap them for free in the future.
Was gonna mention FCP as I was reading through your comment. That's the path I'm going to take and I think is the best option.

Previously, I don't know if I was talking about it here, but I was talking about taking the strip off the rainx blade and putting it on the bmw blade. I took a quick glance when I was washing my car the other day and don't think the strip is removable. Maybe it is, I really didn't look at it for more than a split second.

But either way, I think the FCP deal beats that option out of the water. Free blades for life means I don't have to do the whole ordeal of trying to find a longer lasting blade.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 07:40 PM   #17
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Was gonna mention FCP as I was reading through your comment. That's the path I'm going to take and I think is the best option.

Previously, I don't know if I was talking about it here, but I was talking about taking the strip off the rainx blade and putting it on the bmw blade. I took a quick glance when I was washing my car the other day and don't think the strip is removable. Maybe it is, I really didn't look at it for more than a split second.

But either way, I think the FCP deal beats that option out of the water. Free blades for life means I don't have to do the whole ordeal of trying to find a longer lasting blade.
I'm thinking that's what I'll do then. I don't really like the look of the wiper adapters that need to be used for most of the replacement options, so I guess OEM through FCP is a no-brainer.
Appreciate 0