BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Damp HK Amplifier - and a pic of something to look for if you have had this issue

12-20-2019, 09:18 PM   #1
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Damp HK Amplifier - and a pic of something to look for if you have had this issue

Evening Folk,

I spent the day attempting to restart my abandoned audio upgrade project today (which has again been abandoned for the stupidest lack of space I've ever encountered), and when I went to pull my HK amp out, it was slightly damp on the bottom side.

There are two rubber "plugs" directly beneath the HK amp. I'd seen both of them in other folks' pics and even though I've had the amp out before, I hadn't previously noticed that I have ONE rubber plug, and one hole. The hole was more wet and clearly where the water was coming in. There wasn't any moisture in the rear of the compartment near the taillight (others had reported water coming in from that direction before).

It's raining kitties and puppies here so I had to come up with some sort of solution on the spot. The only thing I had on hand that I thought might be able to tolerate a bit of water was a square of spare Dynamat that I had sitting around. I'll check on it again in the next day or three to see if it's staying dry, but I thought I'd throw this here in case anyone else might have a hole instead of a plug.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-07-2020, 11:03 PM   #2
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Wow, I’ve accessed that area once when I was installing my sub but I doubt I’ll be pulling the trunk liners ever again unless issues arise.
I hope I don’t see anything like this in the future.
Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Dang thanks for the info, I'll have to get around to check mine.