BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Dashcam file auto download script

11-18-2017, 12:53 AM   #1
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Dashcam file auto download script

I posted in the 'What did you do to your M2 today about the fact that I'd used a script to automatically download the files from my dashcam whenever I'm home. I got a request from dcmac to post more details about this, so here it is... in a more appropriate sub-section.

I should point out from the outset that this script is aimed at BlackVue cameras. It could potentially be modified for other brands, but of course, the device would need to be on your network, and there would need to be some way of getting a list of files, and then pulling them off. In the BlackVue cameras this all happens over HTTP, so it's pretty straightforward.

So far this script is working perfectly, but I am finding that it takes a very long time to download the files, simply because there is so many of them and they're a large size. 1 day of data not going particularly far is in excess of 40GB! I could probably reduce this by turning down the sensitivity in parking mode, but I would rather know if something has happened to my car, and the low cost of memory makes this a bit of a non-issue anyway.

So the script itself, is as follows:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

echo

###### Set location where you want to store dashcam data. Sub-directories will be created for each day ######
rootpath=[Your data storage location]

###### If IP Address can be set static in the dascham or DHCP server, set the IP address here, otherwise comment out this line ######
ipaddress=[Dashcam IP Address]

###### Use to locate IP address if you cannot set it to be static in the dashcam or DHCP, otherwise comment out whole section ######
# macaddress="00:25:42:XX:XX:XX"
# ipaddress=$(arp -n | grep -i $macaddress | awk '{print $1}')
# if [[ -z $ipaddress ]]; then
#     # Ping all addresses between 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.200 to make sure we have a complete arp table
#     for i in {100..200}; do (ping 192.168.1.$i -c 1 -w 5  &> /dev/null &); done
#     # Allow some time to get the ping responses
#     sleep 5s
#     # Try again to locate IP address in arp table
#     ipaddress=$(arp -n | grep -i $macaddress | awk '{print $1}')
# fi

if [[ ! -z $ipaddress ]]; then
    count=$(ping -c4 $ipaddress | grep 'received' | awk -F',' '{ print $2}' | awk '{ print $1}')
    if [ $count -eq 4 ]; then
        echo "BlackVue is up at $(date) ($ipaddress)"
        echo "Getting file list"
        if curl -# "http://$ipaddress/blackvue_vod.cgi" -o ${rootpath}list.txt --no-verbose;then
            # sort the file, get the oldest files first
            sort ${rootpath}list.txt -o ${rootpath}sortlist.txt
            while read line
            do
                # check if valid line
                if [[ $line = *Record* ]];then
                    # extract the different file formats from the line read
                    path=$(echo $line| cut -d':' -f 2)
                    path=$(echo $path| cut -d',' -f 1)
                    file=$(echo $path| cut -d'/' -f 3)
                    sdir=$(echo $file| cut -d'_' -f 1)
                    # echo "$sdir" - "$file" - "$path"
                    # check if directory exists. If not, create it.
                    if [ ! -d "$rootpath$sdir" ]; then
                        mkdir "$rootpath$sdir"
                    fi

# check if file exist. If not, copy from dashcam.
                    if [ ! -f "$rootpath$sdir/$file" ]; then
                        #If front camera file, try to download gps and 3gf file first
                        if [[ $path = *F.mp4* ]];then
                             echo "Downloading ${path/F.mp4/.gps}"
                             (cd $rootpath$sdir; curl -# "http://$ipaddress${path/F.mp4/.gps}" -O)
                             echo "Downloading ${path/F.mp4/.3gf}"
                             (cd $rootpath$sdir; curl -# "http://$ipaddress${path/F.mp4/.3gf}" -O)
                        fi
                        if ! (echo "Downloading $path"; cd $rootpath$sdir; curl -# "http://$ipaddress$path" -O);then
                            echo Transfer of "$file" failed...
                            if [ -f "$rootpath$sdir/$file" ]; then
                                # remove bogus file
                                rm -f "$rootpath$sdir/$file"
                            fi
                        fi
                    fi
                fi
            done < ${rootpath}sortlist.txt
            echo "Completed at $(date)"
        fi
else
    echo "BlackVue is down at $(date) ($ipaddress not responding)"
fi
I actually found this script I think on a Tesla forum, or maybe a dashcam forum. I've tried to look up where I found it to credit the source, but I'm not able to do so. Having said that, I did modify it quite heavily to work on a Mac. Macs don't have wget natively, and rather than install wget, I modified the script to work with curl.

I have a launch daemon running this once every hour. The script only copies files that aren't already copied, so once the transfer is finished, the only thing happening every hour is a check for new files.

I hope this is useful to some of you.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 5
ZPrime610.50
Moris3.00
tyip0.00
AndrewC198910903.50
      11-18-2017, 08:47 AM   #2
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I posted in the 'What did you do to your M2 today about the fact that I'd used a script to automatically download the files from my dashcam whenever I'm home. I got a request from dcmac to post more details about this, so here it is... in a more appropriate sub-section.

I should point out from the outset that this script is aimed at BlackVue cameras. It could potentially be modified for other brands, but of course, the device would need to be on your network, and there would need to be some way of getting a list of files, and then pulling them off. In the BlackVue cameras this all happens over HTTP, so it's pretty straightforward.

So far this script is working perfectly, but I am finding that it takes a very long time to download the files, simply because there is so many of them and they're a large size. 1 day of data not going particularly far is in excess of 40GB! I could probably reduce this by turning down the sensitivity in parking mode, but I would rather know if something has happened to my car, and the low cost of memory makes this a bit of a non-issue anyway.

So the script itself, is as follows:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

echo

###### Set location where you want to store dashcam data. Sub-directories will be created for each day ######
rootpath=[Your data storage location]

###### If IP Address can be set static in the dascham or DHCP server, set the IP address here, otherwise comment out this line ######
ipaddress=[Dashcam IP Address]

###### Use to locate IP address if you cannot set it to be static in the dashcam or DHCP, otherwise comment out whole section ######
#     # Ping all addresses between 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.200 to make sure we have a complete arp table
#     for i in {100..200}; do (ping 192.168.1.$i -c 1 -w 5  &> /dev/null &); done
#     sleep 5s
# fi

count=$(ping -c4 $ipaddress | grep 'received' | awk -F',' '{ print $2}' | awk '{ print $1}')
        echo "BlackVue is up at $(date) ($ipaddress)"
        echo "Getting file list"
        if curl -# "http://$ipaddress/blackvue_vod.cgi" -o ${rootpath}list.txt --no-verbose;then
            while read line
            do
                # check if valid line
                    # check if directory exists. If not, create it.
                        mkdir "$rootpath$sdir"
                    fi

#If front camera file, try to download gps and 3gf file first
                             echo "Downloading ${path/F.mp4/.gps}"
                             (cd $rootpath$sdir; curl -# "http://$ipaddress${path/F.mp4/.gps}" -O)
                             echo "Downloading ${path/F.mp4/.3gf}"
                             (cd $rootpath$sdir; curl -# "http://$ipaddress${path/F.mp4/.3gf}" -O)
                        fi
                        if ! (echo "Downloading $path"; cd $rootpath$sdir; curl -# "http://$ipaddress$path" -O);then
                            echo Transfer of "$file" failed...
                                # remove bogus file
                            fi
                        fi
                    fi
                fi
        fi
else
    echo "BlackVue is down at $(date) ($ipaddress not responding)"
fi
I actually found this script I think on a Tesla forum, or maybe a dashcam forum. I've tried to look up where I found it to credit the source, but I'm not able to do so. Having said that, I did modify it quite heavily to work on a Mac. Macs don't have wget natively, and rather than install wget, I modified the script to work with curl.

I have a launch daemon running this once every hour. The script only copies files that aren't already copied, so once the transfer is finished, the only thing happening every hour is a check for new files.

I hope this is useful to some of you.
Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 12:07 AM   #3
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
This is awesome. I have a blackvue on my xmas list, and I will probably setup my NAS to run this at night to clear out the files.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 01:14 AM   #4
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
This is awesome. I have a blackvue on my xmas list, and I will probably setup my NAS to run this at night to clear out the files.
NAS would be ideal, and I should probably do that myself actually. I also have a Raspberry Pi on the network not doing much and I could have that do it instead. To be honest, it doesn't make much sense to have my desktop iMac do this work; it should be sleeping most of the time and let the appliance devices handle it.

I think the script will work fine on Linux, but you might have to modify back to using wget instead of curl if that's not already installed in your distribution.

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
NAS would be ideal, and I should probably do that myself actually. I also have a Raspberry Pi on the network not doing much and I could have that do it instead. To be honest, it doesn't make much sense to have my desktop iMac do this work; it should be sleeping most of the time and let the appliance devices handle it.

I think the script will work fine on Linux, but you might have to modify back to using wget instead of curl if that's not already installed in your distribution.
Yeah, that's easy enough to change or add (I have a Synology and people have put together "optware" which acts like a package manager). Bigger concern might be that IIRC it doesn't come with bash from the factory, rather just ash or sh, so if you did anything too complex the shell might barf on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 02:18 PM   #6
Nezil
Major
Rep

OK, a little update to the script...

I quickly found that I was filling up the disk I was using to save files to, and was having to go and manually delete the older files, which is of course annoying.

I have enough disk space for just over 2 weeks of regular driving. I'm sure a long trip would result in more data, but I do have some wiggle room on the disk, so decided on 14 days of backups.

I inserted the following lines just after the section that sorts the list of files, before the while loop. This way it doesn't delete files older than 14 days if the dashcam isn't connected at all.

Code:
#           delete dashcam files over 14 days to prevent over filling the disk
            find "$rootpath" -mtime +14 -delete

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 12:27 AM   #7
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
I found what basically amounts to a "one-liner" of your script over here...
https://www.bjornsblog.nl/tips-and-t...synology-wifi/

wget has some niceness - it won't overwrite or try to re-download an existing file, but it is smart enough to complete an unfinished download, so the script itself doesn't have to include any logic to check existing files, and it's much more robust against the camera disconnecting in the middle of the download.

I just set it up tonight and I'm going to let it run for a few days and see what I wind up with.

I have ~4.4 TB free on my NAS so space isn't really a concern right now...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 05:20 AM   #8
tyip
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Refined script. Thank you.

I joined this forum just say thanks to Nezil for initiating this post and I have since expanded on the intellectual property of many others and have created a more defined script:

1. worked and tested on Netgear RN426 (running ReadyNAS 6.10.2) and Blackvue DR900s-2CH
2. incorporated to remove old downloads at certain time every day
3. added features:
a. ffmpeg to check integrity of downloaded mp4 files (sometimes they get corrupted during download, eg car left garage)
b. ability to run under crontab every single minute (to run cronjobs) because it will not start another instance if one instance is already running (I set mine at every 5 minutes)
c. ability to exclude one file type (I excluded new files (=N*), so I download only event files (=E*), park files (=P*) and manual files (=M*))
d. ability to avoid duplicate download of gps and 3gf files
e. all the adjustable parameters are set at the start of the scripts to allow easy modification to suit your particular environment
f. ability to choose how may times the script will try to download the file
g. most excitingly, speedup codes were added. Previously, the downloads were slow because after a wifi disconnection, it restarts download from the very start. Although it would ignore the already downloaded files, it wastes a lot of time going from file to file to find out it has already been downloaded.

Note:
1. there is the part from Nezil's script that allows variable IP address (obtaining from router), but I always have the router set to give my Blackvue a fixed IP address.
2. I am not a programmer but learnt everything from here and other forums
3. Blackvue DR900S is really good. (Thank you Blackvue) I have Unifi wifi access points that allow devices to connect to the same SSID but automatically connects at 2.4 GHz or 5GHz depending on whichever gives the best connection. I can see sometimes Blackvue will connect at 5GHz and sometimes at 2.4GHz. Of course when the signal is good, 5GHz is a lot faster. (This is happening despite choosing ONE frequency only on the Blackvue's own settings).
4. On Blackvue, set the wifi cloud to use your garage wifi as "garage wifi". Although your car has been connecting to your car's mobile 4g, it will automatically reconnect to the garage wifi when you get home because of this setting
4. Installing ffmpeg on my ReadyNAS is easy, just sudo appget ffmpeg and it will install itself, as the repository is already sitting in the Netgear remote server ready to be downloaded and installed. ffmpeg is very fast in checking video integrity.
5. cronjobs: google please: for ReadyNAS: it is crontab -l for listing, crontab -e for editing
6. need to know how to do SSH access into Ready NAS (suggest putty.exe freeware)
5. Thanks to Nezil on the share on hardware installation: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1457010 I did exactly that: Cellink Neo with a relay switch with car battery source, and also a power magic pro between the car battery source and the relay switch. (Power magic pro NOT between Blackvue and final electricity supply)
6. Sorry, I can't be a quick responder. Can only do these forum things during holiday.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 05:40 AM   #9
tyip
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Here it is

Code:

#!/bin/bash

# Script path
scriptpath=/data/Video/Blackvue/Scripts/

# Root path
rootpath=/data/Video/Blackvue/X5/

# Car Name
car="X5"

# Exclude recording type..X=no exclusion,N=Exclude Normal Recording
ExcType="N"

# Number of attempts to download mp4 file (minimum is 1)
times="2"

# Locate IP address in arp table
ipaddress=192.168.100.17

# Removal of files older than certain days and empty folders left behind
certain=60

# Time to cleanup old files and empty folders eg. 03-18 or 11-00 or 23-30
cleanuptime=11-00

##### in case ipaddress is still empty then
#     sleep 5s
# fi

# lock dirs/files
LOCKDIR="/tmp/"$car"script-lock"
PIDFILE="${LOCKDIR}/PID"

# exit codes and text
ENO_SUCCESS=0; ETXT[0]="ENO_SUCCESS"
ENO_GENERAL=1; ETXT[1]="ENO_GENERAL"
ENO_LOCKFAIL=2; ETXT[2]="ENO_LOCKFAIL"
ENO_RECVSIG=3; ETXT[3]="ENO_RECVSIG"

###
### start locking attempt
###

trap 'ECODE=$?; echo "["$car"script] Exit: ${ETXT[ECODE]}($ECODE)" >&2' 0
echo -n "["$car"script] Locking: " >&2

if mkdir "${LOCKDIR}" &>/dev/null; then

# lock succeeded, install signal handlers before storing the PID just in case 
    # storing the PID fails
    trap 'ECODE=$?;
          echo "["$car"script] Removing lock. Exit: ${ETXT[ECODE]}($ECODE)" >&2
          rm -rf "${LOCKDIR}"' 0
    echo "$$" >"${PIDFILE}" 
    # the following handler will exit the script upon receiving these signals
    # the trap on "0" (EXIT) from above will be triggered by this trap's "exit" command!
    trap 'echo "["$car"script] Killed by a signal." >&2
          exit ${ENO_RECVSIG}' 1 2 3 15
    echo "success, installed signal handlers"

else

# lock failed, check if the other PID is alive
    OTHERPID="$(cat "${PIDFILE}")"

# if cat isn't able to read the file, another instance is probably
    # about to remove the lock -- exit, we're *still* locked
    #  Thanks to Grzegorz Wierzowiecki for pointing out this race condition on
    #  http://wiki.grzegorz.wierzowiecki.pl/code:mutex-in-bash
    if [ $? != 0 ]; then
      echo "lock failed, PID ${OTHERPID} is active" >&2
      exit ${ENO_LOCKFAIL}
    fi

if ! kill -0 $OTHERPID &>/dev/null; then
        # lock is stale, remove it and restart
        echo "removing stale lock of nonexistant PID ${OTHERPID}" >&2
        rm -rf "${LOCKDIR}"
        echo "["$car"script] restarting myself" >&2
        exec "${scriptpath}$0" "$@"
    else
        # lock is valid and OTHERPID is active - exit, we're locked!
        echo "lock failed, PID ${OTHERPID} is active" >&2
        exit ${ENO_LOCKFAIL}
    fi

fi

# at cleanuptime every day when the script is not busy downloading, delete dashcam files over certain days and empty directories to prevent overfilling the disk
if [[ "$(date +"%H-%M")" = "${cleanuptime}" ]]; then
	echo $(date) Started removing files older than $certain days and empty folders under $car.....>>${scriptpath}oldfilecleanup.log
	logfile=$(find "$rootpath" -mtime +${certain} -delete -print)
	echo $(date) Removed old files:>>${scriptpath}oldfilecleanup.log
	echo ${logfile} | tr ' ' '\n'.....>>${scriptpath}oldfilecleanup.log
	logdir=$(find "$rootpath" -type d -empty -delete -print)
	echo $(date) Removed empty directories:>>${scriptpath}oldfilecleanup.log
	echo $logdir | tr ' ' '\n'.....>>${scriptpath}oldfilecleanup.log
	echo $(date) Finished removing old files and empty folders under $car.....>>${scriptpath}oldfilecleanup.log	
fi  

echo "BlackVue-"$car" is up at $(date) ($ipaddress)"
        if wget "http://$ipaddress/blackvue_vod.cgi" --output-document=${rootpath}list.txt --no-use-server-timestamps --no-verbose --timeout 60 --tries 1;then

# speedup : remove outdated filenames from Downloaded mp4 file list.txt
			touch ${rootpath}"Downloaded mp4 file list.txt"
			sort ${rootpath}"Downloaded mp4 file list.txt" -o ${rootpath}"Downloaded mp4 file list.txt"
			line=$(head -n 1 ${rootpath}sortlist.txt)
			if grep -Fq $file ${rootpath}"Downloaded mp4 file list.txt"
			then
				sed -i -n -E -e "/${file}/,$ p" ${rootpath}"Downloaded mp4 file list.txt"
			fi

# speedup : cleanse the sortlist.txt by removing filenames of already downloaded or excluded mp4 files
			while read line
			do			
						if grep -Fq $file ${rootpath}"Downloaded mp4 file list.txt"
						then
							grep -v "${file}" ${rootpath}sortlist.txt > ${rootpath}"1.txt"; mv ${rootpath}"1.txt" ${rootpath}sortlist.txt
						fi
				fi

while read line
            do
			    #check that dashcam is still online
			    countA=$(ping -c2 $ipaddress | grep 'received' | awk -F',' '{ print $2}' | awk '{ print $1}')
                if [ $countA -ne 2 ]; then
				    echo "BlackVue-"$car" is no longer online"
				    exit
			    fi					
                # check if valid line

# check if directory exist. If not, create it.
                        mkdir "$rootpath$sdir"
                    fi

# If front camera file, try to download gps and 3gf file first
							if [ ! -f "$rootpath$sdir/${file/F.mp4/.gps}" ]; then
								if ! wget "http://$ipaddress${path/F.mp4/.gps}" --directory-prefix=$rootpath$sdir --no-use-server-timestamps --no-verbose --timeout 60 --tries 1;then
									echo Transfer of "${file/F.mp4/.gps}" failed...
									if [ -f "$rootpath$sdir/${file/F.mp4/.gps}" ]; then
										# remove bogus file
										rm -f "$rootpath$sdir/${file/F.mp4/.gps}"
									fi
								else
									# add to the route file
									cat "$rootpath$sdir/${file/F.mp4/.gps}" | awk -F ']' '{ print $2 }' | egrep -v '^$' >> "$rootpath$sdir/route.log"
								fi
							fi	

if [ ! -f "$rootpath$sdir/${file/F.mp4/.3gf}" ]; then
								if ! wget "http://$ipaddress${path/F.mp4/.3gf}" --directory-prefix=$rootpath$sdir --no-use-server-timestamps --no-verbose --timeout 60 --tries 1;then
									echo Transfer of "${file/F.mp4/.3gf}" failed...
									if [ -f "$rootpath$sdir/${file/F.mp4/.3gf}" ]; then
										# remove bogus file
										rm -f "$rootpath$sdir/${file/F.mp4/.3gf}"
									fi
								fi
							fi
                        fi

if [[ ! $path = *${ExcType}*.mp4* ]];then

k=1
							while [ $k -le $times ]
							do
							((k++)) 
							if ! wget "http://$ipaddress$path" --directory-prefix=$rootpath$sdir --no-use-server-timestamps --no-verbose --timeout 60 --tries 1;then
								echo $(date) Transfer of "$file" failed.....>>"$rootpath$sdir/error.log"
								i=$(($times-$k+1))
								echo Transfer of "$file" failed. Trying download again $i more time"("s")".
									# remove bogus file
								fi
							else
								#check integrity of downloaded mp4
								errors=$(ffmpeg -v error -i "/$rootpath$sdir/$file" null $1 2>&1)
								if [[ ! $errors = *null* ]] || [[ $errors = *channel* ]]; then
									echo $(date) $errors .....>>"$rootpath$sdir/error.log"
									i=$(($times-$k+1))
									echo "$rootpath$sdir/$file" corrupted. Trying download again $i more time"("s")".
								else
									echo Download of "$rootpath$sdir/$file" successful!
									echo $file >>${rootpath}"Downloaded mp4 file list.txt"
									break
								fi
							fi	
							done

else	
							# speedup : these files are diberately excluded, so they go to the Downloaded mp4 file list
                        fi
                    else
					# speedup : useful at initiation then useful because most likely the file is corrupt
					errors=$(ffmpeg -v error -i "/$rootpath$sdir/$file" null $1 2>&1)
						if [[ ! $errors = *null* ]] || [[ $errors = *channel* ]]; then
							echo $(date) DELETED because $errors .....>>"$rootpath$sdir/error.log"
							echo "$rootpath$sdir/$file" corrupted and hence deleted
						else
						fi
					fi

fi

fi